Disney Announces 10 New Star Wars Series Coming To Disney+ Over The Next Few Years

JayC

Disney right now is holding their 2020 Inventor Day event where they have announced that the Disney+ channel has reached 86 Million subscribers and that they have 10 new Star Wars based shows coming to the streaming service over the next few years. We already know there is the Obi-Wan and Cassian Andor live-action series as well as the Bad Batch animated series.

We will update you with any more Star Wars news over the course of the 4 hour presentation. You can watch it yourself here.

disney-plus-brand-840x340__scaled_600.jpg

58 minutes ago, Satam said:

And here I almost thought they had finally learned that it's probably a bad idea to over-saturate the brand. Ha. 

Exactly what I was thinking, they probably figured with the success of The Mandalorian they could go all in again. Needless to say I have a bad feeling about this. 

Disney announced today during their Investor Day event - two new live-action Star Wars shows with Rangers of the New Republic and Ashoka Tano series. They Will take place in the time of The Mandalorian.

Also Andor will be a spy thriller and Obi-Wan Kenobi will take place 10 years after Revenge of the Sith with Hayden Christensen reprising his role as Darth Vader.

The Bad Batch Animated series will take place after Revenge of the Sith and before A New Hope.

A Droid Story animated series with R2 and C-3PO is coming.

Lando Calrissian event series will be coming as well. It's called Lando.

2023 Rogue Squadron movie announced by Disney and will be directed by Patty Jenkins (Wonder Woman).

10 minutes ago, Belmont13 said:

Exactly what I was thinking, they probably figured with the success of The Mandalorian they could go all in again. Needless to say I have a bad feeling about this. 

Nobody ever accused tv/movie executives of being smart.  The good news is that an Ahsoka Tano spinoff from her Mandalorian appearance makes sense, a Donald Glover Lando "event series" from Justin Simien makes sense, and we're finally getting something that doesn't take place in the time period in between the prequels and the new trilogy. Now I just need to hear them announce a Boba Fett prequel for the years in between ROTJ and the Mandalorian, because they have to take every bit of mystery out of that character when that was what made him interesting in the first place, and I can go back to being annoyed with Lucasfilm again.

The full breakdown from StarWars.com

Today at The Walt Disney Company’s Investor Day event, Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy announced a staggering number of new films, series, and surprises that will expand the Star Wars galaxy like never before.

Rogue Squadron

The next Star Wars feature film will be Rogue Squadron — directed by Patty Jenkins (Wonder Woman franchise). The story will introduce a new generation of starfighter pilots as they earn their wings and risk their lives in a boundary-pushing, high-speed thrill-ride, and move the saga into the future era of the galaxy.

“It’s been a lifelong dream as a filmmaker to one day make a great fighter pilot film,” said Jenkins. “As the daughter of a great fighter pilot myself, some of the best memories of my life are of seeing my father’s squadron take off in their F4s every morning, and hearing and feeling the awe-inspiring power and grace. When he passed away in service to this country it ignited a burning desire to one day channel all of those emotions into one great film. When the perfect story arrived in combination with another true love of mine, the incomparable world of Star Wars, I knew I’d finally found my next film. I’m extremely honored and excited to take it on, and grateful to Lucasfilm, Disney, and the fans for extending that thrill to me.”

“Patty has established herself as one of the top directors working in the film industry today,” said Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy. “She’s a visionary who knows how to strike the balance between action and heart, and I can’t wait to see what she does in the Star Wars galaxy.”

Lock S-foils in attack position: Rogue Squadron arrives in theaters Christmas 2023.

Untitled Taika Waititi Film

A brand-new Star Wars feature with acclaimed filmmaker and Academy Award-winner Taika Waititi is in development. “Taika’s approach to Star Wars will be fresh, unexpected, and…unique,” said Kennedy. “His enormous talent and sense of humor will ensure that audiences are in for an unforgettable ride.”

Obi-Wan Kenobi

Last August at D23 Expo, Lucasfilm announced the return of Ewan McGregor in the iconic role of Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi for a special event series on Disney+. Officially titled Obi-Wan Kenobi, the series begins 10 years after the dramatic events of Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith where he faced his greatest defeat, the downfall and corruption of his best friend and Jedi apprentice, Anakin Skywalker turned evil Sith Lord Darth Vader. The series is directed by Deborah Chow, who helmed memorable episodes of The Mandalorian Season 1.

This will truly be a day long remembered, as it was confirmed that Hayden Christensen will be returning as Darth Vader. “This will be the rematch of the century,” Kennedy said.

“It was such an incredible journey playing Anakin Skywalker,” said Christensen. “Of course, Anakin and Obi-Wan weren’t on the greatest of terms when we last saw them… It will be interesting to see what an amazing director like Deborah Chow has in store for us all. I’m excited to work with Ewan again. It feels good to be back.”

Ahsoka

After making her long awaited live-action debut in The Mandalorian, Ahsoka Tano’s story, written by Dave Filoni, will continue in a limited series starring Rosario Dawson and executive produced by Dave Filoni and Jon Favreau.

Rangers of the New Republic

Set within the timeline of The Mandalorian, this new live-action series from executive producers Jon Favreau and Dave Filoni will intersect with future stories and culminate into a climactic story event.

Lando

Everyone’s favorite scoundrel Lando Calrissian will return in a brand-new event series for Disney+. Justin Simien, creator of the critically-acclaimed Dear White People and a huge Star Wars fan, is developing the story.

Andor

Andor, a tense nail-biting spy thriller created by Tony Gilroy, is set to arrive on Disney+ in 2022. Diego Luna, reprising the role of rebel spy Cassian Andor from Rogue One, will be joined by a fantastic new cast that includes Stellan Skarsgard, Adria Arjona, Fiona Shaw, Denise Gough, Kyle Soller, and Genevieve O’Reilly as Mon Mothma. Production kicked off three weeks ago in London.

The Acolyte

Leslye Headland, Emmy Award-nominated creator of the mind-bending series Russian Doll, brings a new Star Wars series to Disney+ with The Acolyte. The Acolyte is a mystery-thriller that will take the audience into a galaxy of shadowy secrets and emerging dark side powers in the final days of the High Republic era.

Star Wars: The Bad Batch

The series follows the elite and experimental clones of the Bad Batch (first introduced in The Clone Wars) as they find their way in a rapidly changing galaxy in the immediate aftermath of the Clone War. Members of Bad Batch — a unique squad of clones who vary genetically from their brothers in the Clone Army — each possess a singular exceptional skill which makes them extraordinarily effective soldiers and a formidable crew. In the post-Clone War era, they will take on daring mercenary missions as they struggle to stay afloat and find new purpose.

The animated series will arrive exclusively on Disney+.

Star Wars: Visions

Presenting all-new, creative takes on the galaxy far, far away, Star Wars: Visions will be a series of animated short films celebrating Star Wars through the lens of the world’s best anime creators. The anthology collection will bring 10 fantastic visions from several of the leading Japanese anime studios, offering a fresh and diverse cultural perspective to Star Wars.

A Droid Story

As Lucasfilm continues to develop new stories, the intersection of animation and visual effects offers new opportunities to explore. Lucasfilm Animation will be teaming up with Lucasfilm’s visual effects team, Industrial Light & Magic, to develop a special Star Wars adventure for Disney+, A Droid Story. This epic journey will introduce us to a new hero, guided by legendary duo R2-D2 and C-3PO.

Other Lucasfilm Stories

Lucasfilm is currently in pre-production on the next installment of the Indiana Jones franchise. At the helm is James Mangold, director of the Academy Award-winning Ford v Ferrari, and Indy himself, Harrison Ford, will be back to continue his iconic character’s journey. Indy will begin shooting late spring of 2021 and will arrive July 2022.

Willow, coming to Disney+, will be set decades after Ron Howard’s 1988 movie, continuing the spirit of adventure, heroics, and humor of the original film. Warwick Davis will return in the role of the great sorcerer, Willow Ufgood, with Jon Chu (director of the groundbreaking Crazy Rich Asians) directing the pilot. Willow begins shooting next March in Wales and will debut on Disney+ in 2022.

Finally, the Lucasfilm catalog is expanding further with a story that will introduce a new hero and explore an original world that feels perfectly paired with Lucasfilm storytelling: Tomi Adeyemi’s New York Times bestselling novel Children of Blood & Bone. The story will center around a young African girl’s heart-racing quest to restore magic to her forsaken people, the Maji. Lucasfilm will partner with 20th Century Studios on this coming-of-age adventure.

Eo6hU4wVEAEcYSD.jpg

26 minutes ago, Satam said:

Nobody ever accused tv/movie executives of being smart.  The good news is that an Ahsoka Tano spinoff from her Mandalorian appearance makes sense, a Donald Glover Lando "event series" from Justin Simien makes sense, and we're finally getting something that doesn't take place in the time period in between the prequels and the new trilogy. Now I just need to hear them announce a Boba Fett prequel for the years in between ROTJ and the Mandalorian, because they have to take every bit of mystery out of that character when that was what made him interesting in the first place, and I can go back to being annoyed with Lucasfilm again.

I have similar concerns. I think Ashoka and Bad Batch will be good. Obi-Wan worries me some cause it sounds like they are taking him off Tatooine befor ANH. It could be good if done right but lots of potential of screwing things up. The other stuff we just don't know enough about, but I think its probably to much all at once.

11 minutes ago, JayC said:

I have similar concerns. I think Ashoka and Bad Batch will be good. Obi-Wan worries me some cause it sounds like they are taking him off Tatooine befor ANH. It could be good if done right but lots of potential of screwing things up. The other stuff we just don't know enough about, but I think its probably to much all at once.

Well, they're already bringing back Hayden Christensen as Darth Vader for some dumbass reason, so there's quite a bit to be worried about with that Obi Wan series, Jay.

12 minutes ago, Satam said:

Well, they're already bringing back Hayden Christensen as Darth Vader for some dumbass reason, so there's quite a bit to be worried about with that Obi Wan series, Jay.

Yeah thats weird, is he going to voice Vader instead of James Earl Jones??? or will it be flashback scenes???

-Rogue Squadron sounds interesting, if they can get the same vibe from the books and comics. For the love of God, give me Baron Fel.

-Obi Wan Kenobi should be a 1 season thing as I don't see them getting much stories about his exile in Tattoine. While I'm glad that Hayden is involved I'd rather have a Darth Vader series or mini series involving the Jedi Purge and the rise of the Empire but I digress.

-As much as I love Ahsoka, I'm not really keen on getting her own series but we'll see how it goes. 

-Rangers of the New Republic sounds like it has potential, I need to know more before I make up my mind.

-Never been a really a big fan of Lando so not really interested in his series but maybe this series will change my mind.

-Andor is one of the few projects I was curious about. I loved Rogue One and if they explore the early days of the Rebellion, it will be interesting.

-Star Wars as anime? Meh

-The Bad Batch: a series featuring Filoni's blah version of Delta Squad, more clones, Yay!!!

-No more Droid stories!

-Other Lucasfilm projects? Indiana Jones? Harrison Ford? I'll be surprised if he doesn't break a hip getting out of his trailer.

Ladies and Gentlemen, we have oversaturation.

Rogue Squadron helmed by Patty Jenkins sounds great as long as Disney doesn't fight tooth and nail to nerf it like they did Rogue One.  And the Indiana Jones 5 paycheck will be a fantastic 80th birthday present for Harrison Ford.

I feel a lot better about what I've heard and seen from Marvel Studios about their projects than Lucasfilm.  No surprise there, I guess.

27 minutes ago, Satam said:

Rogue Squadron helmed by Patty Jenkins sounds great as long as Disney doesn't fight tooth and nail to nerf it like they did Rogue One.  And the Indiana Jones 5 paycheck will be a fantastic 80th birthday present for Harrison Ford.

I feel a lot better about what I've heard and seen from Marvel Studios about their projects than Lucasfilm.  No surprise there, I guess.

Rogue Squadron is the nice surprise of this whole thing, I'm actually disappointed is that is not a series because there's so much potential there. I agree about Marvel after I saw the news of Star Wars here I saw the Marvel lineup, now that's what I'm talking about.

131117293_711537153127952_916086503205603350_n__scaled_600.jpg

During the 2020 Disney Investor Day event, Kathleen Kennedy presented the Lucasfilm segment, announcing a number of new projects and updating a few others.

MandoS2__scaled_600.jpg

Following last year's successful launch of Disney+ with The Mandalorian,fans can look forward to more series set in that era.

Ahsoka__scaled_600.jpg

After crossing paths with

The Mandalorian, Ahsoka Tano, as portrayed by Rosario Dawson, will have limited series, written by Dave Filoni, and executive produced by Filoni and Jon Favreau. Airdte TBA

Rangers__scaled_600.jpg

Executive produced by Jon Favreau and Dave Filoni, this series will tie into future storylines, leading up to a climactic story event.

Acolyte__scaled_600.jpg

The Acolyte, from Leslye Headland (Russian Doll), is a mystery-thriller set during in the final days of the High Republic era

There are two newly announced animated series in the works, A Droid Story which will feature C-3PO and R2-D2 introducing a new character. and Star Wars: Visions, "a series of animated short films celebrating Star Wars through the lens of the world’s best anime creators.

Lando will join the previously announced Obi-Wan Kenobi and Rogue One's Cassian Anor, with their own series. Andor has just begun filming, The Kenobi series will begin Spring 2022 (including "the rematch of the century,” with Hayden Christensen's Darth Vader!)

There were two films announced, Rogue Squadron from Wonder Woman director, Patty Jenkins, slated for Christmas 2022, and an untitled film by Taika Waititi

131117293_711537153127952_916086503205603350_n.jpg

Acolyte.jpeg

Ahsoka.jpg

Andor.jpg

Bad_Batch.jpg

Droid_Show.jpg

id-tall-169.jpg

indiana-jones.jpg

Lando.jpg

MandoS2.jpg

ObiWanKenobi.jpg

Rangers.jpg

Rogue_Squdron_Film_22.jpg

Visions.jpg

Willow.jpg

2 hours ago, JayC said:

including "the rematch of the century,” with Hayden Christensen's Darth Vader!

They have a rematch in New Hope. Why make them have one in between? There are no stakes for it. It's not like Vader or Obi Wan is going to #$%&ing die early or something. 

• 2 years later...

HanSolo5a787c2b8d5b2__scaled_600.jpg

First Announced in 2020, we now have an update on the Disney+ series as Variety reports Donald Glover and his brother Stephen have signed on to write the series. Justin Simien, who most recently directed Disney’s “Haunted Mansion,” was once attached to the project. but, Variety has been told the Glover brothers will be writing the series alone.

• 1 month later...
HanSolo5a787c2b8d5b2__scaled_600.jpg

It was recently revealed that Donald Glover and his brother Stephen have taken up writing duties for the Disney+ Lando series. While those plans have been put on hold, due to the ongoing actors and writers strike, the series is now said to be a film instead.

Hollywood Reporter

Entertainment News International (ENI) is the #1 popular culture network for adult fans all around the world.
Get the scoop on all the popular comics, games, movies, toys, and more every day!

Contact and Support

Advertising | Submit News | Contact ENI | Privacy Policy

©Entertainment News International - All images, trademarks, logos, video, brands and images used on this website are registered trademarks of their respective companies and owners. All Rights Reserved. Data has been shared for news reporting purposes only. All content sourced by fans, online websites, and or other fan community sources. Entertainment News International is not responsible for reporting errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and or other liablities related to news shared here. We do our best to keep tabs on infringements. If some of your content was shared by accident. Contact us about any infringements right away - CLICK HERE