Can G.I. Joe Classified Collectors Look To Marvel Legends For Hope When It Comes To Target Exclusives?!?

JayC

We are just a few days away until Hasbro's next Fan-Friday G.I. Joe event, where new reveals are expected to be made on the 6" Classified front. While I know a couple of non-exclusive figures will be announced on Friday, I suspect we will also be seeing more in the way of Target store exclusives.

Up until now, hearing the words Target and G.I. Joe exclusives in the same sentence has caused more dread among collectors than the thought of Cobra Commander conquering the world. Back during PulseCon, Hasbro announced two new Target exclusives with Firefly and the Cobra Viper trooper. Both figures had pre-orders that sold out in seconds. The first wave of Target exclusive G.I. Joe Classified figures, which included a Cobra Trooper, Roadblock v2, Beach Head and Baroness with bike also had pre-orders sell out in seconds, Even today they are still very difficult to find and buy at cost.

So if we see more Target exclusive figures announced this coming Friday, will there be any real chance of folks being able to get them? I can't say for sure, but I will say that perhaps we got a glimmer of hope in the way of Marvel Legends yesterday.

Yesterday Target had up for pre-order two high demand Marvel Legends figures. They had the X-Men Retro Rogue

and Gambit figures available for the first time. While the pre-orders for both figures have since sold out, they lasted longer than a few seconds. Rogue was available for over an hour, and Gambit lasted a good part of the day. The reason why those figures didn't sell out in seconds is because Target FINALLY started limiting them to one purchase per person.

Target has also been stocking the Marvel Legends exclusives better recently. Both the Storm/Thunderbird 2-pack and Red Hulk figures are currently available for purchase, even though initial stock had sold out.

I can't predict what will happen on Friday, but if we see very popular G.I. Joe character(s) announced as Target exclusives, we can only hope Hasbro and Target will give Joe collectors the same respect they've recently been showing Marvel ones.

The Hasbro G.I. Joe Live-Stream will take place this Friday (11/20) at 11am ET. Check back here for complete coverage and highlights for everything announced.

G.I.-Joe-Classified-Major-Bludd.jpg

• Thanks 1

I strongly suspect there will be the dreaded Target exclusive or two. This for me has really put a damper on what otherwise could've been an awesome line but for me I'm out collecting the rest of the Joe figures. Just too much hassle.

2 hours ago, RecklessEndangerment said:

Are we still beating this dead horse?  🙄

Not me. Making the first wave near impossible to find, only to make the second wave an exclusive (and COMPLETELY impossible to find) has burnt me out on this one. I sold off my series 1 figures and I've written Classified off.

When I can find DCUC figures easier, and at a better price than Classified figures, it tells me Hasbro has some stuff to work out before they deserve my Joe-Buying Dollar.

The one per person limit is a step in the right direction, we'll see how it works for this line. I'm not really bothered by it as I have been cherry picking this line and with a little patience I have been able to get the ones I wanted except Firefly and that hasn't been released yet. I do think making an Army Builder figure exclusive was a major No No that shouldn't have happened but I don't really know all of the inner workings from this line so maybe at the time that was the only option, who knows.

• Thanks 1

In short.....no.

At length, the only way to learn from ML Target exclusives is to, quite simply stop giving Target exclusives.

Problem solved.

I can only hope that things can get better, I have some hopes that they can if we take the recent Target/TRU Storm & Thunderbird 2pack as any indicator that the retailer is realizing it needs to better stock these exclusives we might actually be coming to a better chapter in the collecting joes book, but who knows really....since exclusives still suck and the only recent easy to obtain exclusive has been that Storm & T-bird 2pack, which seems way too easy to get.

I also am holding hopes that come closer to Christmas these figures will see more availability, seems like the time if any to get the stock in great numbers.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Zerzar999 said:

At length, the only way to learn from ML Target exclusives is to, quite simply stop giving Target exclusives.

You learn a similar lesson from Neca TMNT Target exclusives . . . but with more dirty words.

• Thanks 1