Disney Plus Developing A 'Darkwing Duck' Reboot

Outsiders

According to Variety, the Disney Plus streaming service has begun an early development into a 'Darkwing Duck' reboot.

Sources from within have informed Variety that no writer is attached to the project yet but it will be executive produced by Seth Rogen, Evan Goldberg, James Weaver, and Alex McAtee of Point Grey Pictures. McAtee will oversee the project for the company.

The original “Darkwing Duck” was created by Tad Stones and ran from 1991-1992 for three seasons and 91 episodes. It originally aired on The Disney Channel and ABC while also airing in syndication. The series followed the titular duck superhero, who lived an ordinary suburban life under the secret identity of Drake Mallard. He is assisted in his crime fighting by his sidekick and pilot Launchpad McQuack. He is also sometimes assisted by his adopted daughter, Gosalyn. The show featured the voices of Jim Cummings as Darkwing Duck, Christine Cavanaugh as Gosalyn, and Terry McGovern as Launchpad.

The show had connections to fellow Disney animated series “DuckTales,” with Launchpad appearing in both the original “DuckTales” and the recent reboot. Most recently, Darkwing and Gosalyn appeared in the rebooted show as well. In that version, Darkwing is a fictional character from an old superhero TV series. In Season 2, Mallard, the president of the Darkwing Duck fan club, gets the chance to become Darkwing in real life and begins fighting crime. Gosalyn was introduced in Season 3.

Darkwing_Duck.jpg

Seth Rogen? Why are they still letting him do stuff!?!

If you were to find Kevin Smith and Jack Black lying on the floor, wad them up and squeezed every last drop of ANYTHING creative, clever, or in any way entertaining or worthwhile out of them; Seth Rogen is the damp, smelly lump of crud you'd be left with.

Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg produce The Boys, which is surprisingly good and a huge hit. The thing is, The Boys and Darkwing Duck are VERY different.  I'm hoping they'll be really hands-off if they stay involved. But again, if there isn't any involvement with new Ducktales creators Frank Angones and Matt Youngberg, who relaunched the character, or Colleen Evanson, who co-wrote the Darkwing-centric Ducktales special "Let's Get Dangerous" with Angones, I can't really see this succeeding anyway.  I hope there's news sometime soon about the actual creatives who will be involved, and I think it's really %$@#ing weird to just begin to develop a spinoff apparently without them.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Nosferatuman62172 said:

I wonder if this will be in the same style/universe as the recent Ducktales reboot.

Ducktales was so much fun. Much fun than Donald Duck who I gave up trying to understand. I just hope Disney or whoever is creating this comes up with a 1/12 (7" scale) figure--articulated pls-- that I can include in my  collection. Darkwing Duck'll be fun to see among my Madam Raz, Broom, and Orko. HAha