Jump to content
Outsiders

Simon Kinberg To Writer & Produce 'Battlestar Galactica' Movie

Recommended Posts

X-Men feature 'Dark Phoenix' director Simon Kinberg will be writing and producing the feature adaptation of the sci-fi franchise 'Battlestar Galactica,' for Universal Pictures.

Kinberg is joining producer Dylan Clark (“The Batman,” “War for the Planet of the Apes”), but will not be directing this project.  A search for a director is underway.

Kinberg will be writing the script from scratch as previous scripts were submitted but never made the cut.

“‘Battlestar Galactica’ is one of the holy grails in science fiction, and I couldn’t be more excited about bringing something new to the franchise, while honoring what’s made it so iconic and enduring,” Kinberg said in a statement. “I’m so grateful that Dylan and my partners at Universal have trusted me with this incredible universe.”

Battlestar Galactica first launched as a live-action TV series for ABC in 1978 and grew in popularity with basic cable reboot of the series in the 2000s, starring Edward James Olmos, Mary McDonnell and Katee Sackhoff. Both shows followed a fleet of human starships, let by the Galactica, as they flee a race of genocidal robots called the Cylons and seek to find a mythical planet called Earth.

This feature film is not connected with any plans for a new Battlestar Galactica TV series currently in development for NBCUniversal’s streaming service Peacock by executive producer Sam Esmail (“Mr. Robot”).

Source: Variety

Simon_Kinberg.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The more I think about it, with the current state of sociopolitical affairs in the real world, it would be a great time to revisit the Galactica 1980 concept. Obviously not the network mandated "Super-Scouts" angle, but Larson's original concept. Galactica finds Earth, but instead of a promised land that will deliver them from their enemies and give them a new home, they instead find modern day Earth. A technologically inferior society to caught up in its own issues to be any help, where the Galactica and her people are no more welcomed than the Cylons they'd now have to defend the planet from.

Certainly better than the "Starbuck's a chick and the Cylons are hot" concept they sold the remake to Sci-Fi channel with.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, mako said:

The more I think about it, with the current state of sociopolitical affairs in the real world, it would be a great time to revisit the Galactica 1980 concept. Obviously not the network mandated "Super-Scouts" angle, but Larson's original concept. Galactica finds Earth, but instead of a promised land that will deliver them from their enemies and give them a new home, they instead find modern day Earth. A technologically inferior society to caught up in its own issues to be any help, where the Galactica and her people are no more welcomed than the Cylons they'd now have to defend the planet from.

Certainly better than the "Starbuck's a chick and the Cylons are hot" concept they sold the remake to Sci-Fi channel with.

My sentiments exactly, sounds like you just gave them the right concept to build on. Of course we all too painfully know that most often in Hollywierd good advice given is not always taken. Here's hoping for something we can all enjoy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Satam said:

Why does Simon Kinberg get to keep making stuff?

Because it's Hollywood, and for some reason, the bean-counters love the way things like "From the man who brought you Deadpool and Logan," look scrawled across a print-ad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Battlestar Galactica is one engaging TV series... saw some of it... will be great to see it in the big screen. Not too much of it though... too much drama. I'm more on the discovery side of things, a true trekkie. Peace!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, mako said:

Because it's Hollywood, and for some reason, the bean-counters love the way things like "From the man who brought you Deadpool and Logan," look scrawled across a print-ad.

Sure, but he didn't write those movies and his record as a screen writer is abysmal.  I'm gonna assume he just &%#$ing hired himself for that. *sigh*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, mako said:

The more I think about it, with the current state of sociopolitical affairs in the real world, it would be a great time to revisit the Galactica 1980 concept. Obviously not the network mandated "Super-Scouts" angle, but Larson's original concept. Galactica finds Earth, but instead of a promised land that will deliver them from their enemies and give them a new home, they instead find modern day Earth. A technologically inferior society to caught up in its own issues to be any help, where the Galactica and her people are no more welcomed than the Cylons they'd now have to defend the planet from.

Certainly better than the "Starbuck's a chick and the Cylons are hot" concept they sold the remake to Sci-Fi channel with.

Took me a time (tiny) to get use to the NEW Starbuck as a "chick"....It grew on me. Katee Sackhoff did a wonderful job as Starbuck IMHO.

It is one of the few things about the program that gave some interesting new "story" angles. Not so much in the current "sociopolitcal" affairs kind of way, mind you...

I just....Like chicks =^)

I "APOLOGIZE" in advance...If my "thoughts" offended anyone out there!!!!! Please forgive me and my thoughts!!! =^)

Now...

As far as your other "thoughts"......I agree......Could not have said it any better......

Oh,  bye the way.....keep the strong "chicks"....

Give me a "Ellen Ripley" type in a Viper any day =^)

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The reboot series was incredible!!  Plot lines, characters, character arcs,production values, effects were all outstanding. Hopefully Universal is smart enough to not retell that story. Big mistake if they do as they will not get that mixture again, especially if they recast the roles. Eddy Almos IS the quintesential Adama, Katie Sackhoff IS Starbuck, etc. If they go this route, they might as well remake the Wizard of Oz and Star Wars.

The "What happens after they land on Earth" story might be the best way to go but Kinberg would have a lot creative writing to do since they arrived here during our prehistoric period. Plus if it is not the cast we know and love, I wont be interested. People loved these actors as those characters. And if it is not about this group, than it is not " Battlestar Galactica" is it? It would be story told in the Galactica universe like Voyager in the Star Trek Universe. But we have seen this too, already in BSG. We know what happened on Caprica after the fleet left. We know what happened to another Battlestar when the Pegasus showed up. We know what happened prior to BSG with the Caprica series. So what's left? The montra is, "this has all happened before and will all happen again". The Reboot told this "will happen again" part and has shown glimpses of and explained the "happened before" part. So again, what is left without downgrading the saga further. Caprica was a step in this negative direction. I hope this kinberg story does not continue this.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BTW, all of you who loved the 2000s series, if you haven't watched Star Trek Deep Space Nine, go watch it right now!  Every other original concept (and some smaller details) from BSG has direct lineage from DS9. BSG was basically what Ron Moore would have done with DS9 if he had full creative control to go balls to the wall when he was a writer and EP on it. That maybe doesn't sound like I'm selling it super well, but Deep Space Nine is an amazing show and easily the darkest, most well written, best acted, and most character driven Star Trek series.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Satam said:

BTW, all of you who loved the 2000s series, if you haven't watched Star Trek Deep Space Nine, go watch it right now!  Every other original concept (and some smaller details) from BSG has direct lineage from DS9. BSG was basically what Ron Moore would have done with DS9 if he had full creative control to go balls to the wall when he was a writer and EP on it. That maybe doesn't sound like I'm selling it super well, but Deep Space Nine is an amazing show and easily the darkest, most well written, best acted, and most character driven Star Trek series.

Does it require previous knowledge of Star Trek? I never really got into the original Star Trek series so I know very little of the lore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Belmont13 said:

Does it require previous knowledge of Star Trek? I never really got into the original Star Trek series so I know very little of the lore.

A little, but not necessarily.  It does a much better job of world building than any other series that preceded (or succeeded it), so some alien races and other concepts that were established in previous series get essentially re-introduced and much more fully established in this one. Basically as long as you know that Starfleet is an organization that is structured like the US Navy and devoted to exploration as well as the defense of a government entity/territory called the United Federation of Planets, which is exactly what it sounds like, you're good. It helps to have at least a passing knowledge of who Captain Picard is and what the Borg are for the first episode, but they're not revisited after that, so it's pretty easy to just roll with it if you don't.
Also, I'll warn you that the first season is a bit slow after the pilot and doesn't really find its footing until the second to last episode, but it's still worth sitting through pretty much every episode except for "Move Along Home," which is total garbage, as they help establish characters and threads that will continue throughout the series and sometimes get picked back up and become very important seasons later.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Satam said:

BTW, all of you who loved the 2000s series, if you haven't watched Star Trek Deep Space Nine, go watch it right now!  Every other original concept (and some smaller details) from BSG has direct lineage from DS9. BSG was basically what Ron Moore would have done with DS9 if he had full creative control to go balls to the wall when he was a writer and EP on it. That maybe doesn't sound like I'm selling it super well, but Deep Space Nine is an amazing show and easily the darkest, most well written, best acted, and most character driven Star Trek series.

I'm a trekkie. I know you're using DS9 for a springboard to better understanding BSG, but the DS9 compliments were right on the target. I appreciate it. Cool! Quark would have given you a piece of his latinum :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/25/2020 at 5:53 AM, ghostbogey said:

Oh,  bye the way.....keep the strong "chicks"....

Give me a "Ellen Ripley" type in a Viper any day =^)

Fine by me, while I'm no fan of "gender-bending" I've always been a fan of strong female characters. Although, not so much the Ripley" archetype. It seems like since Aliens EVERY strong female character has had to be a man-hating, gun-toting mesomorph suffering from a monster case oh HPS. Don't even get me started on the mess Xena made either.

I much prefer the Erica Durance as Lois Lane type. Can shoot, fight and banter with the best of them, but not to such a level that she doesn't need a hero once in a while.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Blurr86 said:

I'm a trekkie. I know you're using DS9 for a springboard to better understanding BSG, but the DS9 compliments were right on the target. I appreciate it. Cool! Quark would have given you a piece of his latinum :)

I don't know that it gives a better understanding of BSG, per se, but I found it very fascinating and fun to see the evolution of so many similar (and sometimes the same) ideas from one show to the other.  So maybe a behind-the-scenes understanding? The roots of BSG are in DS9 might be a simpler way to put it.
Also, it's cool to see that Jay C and I aren't the only fans around here.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Satam said:

A little, but not necessarily.  It does a much better job of world building than any other series that preceded (or succeeded it), so some alien races and other concepts that were established in previous series get essentially re-introduced and much more fully established in this one. Basically as long as you know that Starfleet is an organization that is structured like the US Navy and devoted to exploration as well as the defense of a government entity/territory called the United Federation of Planets, which is exactly what it sounds like, you're good. It helps to have at least a passing knowledge of who Captain Picard is and what the Borg are for the first episode, but they're not revisited after that, so it's pretty easy to just roll with it if you don't.
Also, I'll warn you that the first season is a bit slow after the pilot and doesn't really find its footing until the second to last episode, but it's still worth sitting through pretty much every episode except for "Move Along Home," which is total garbage, as they help establish characters and threads that will continue throughout the series and sometimes get picked back up and become very important seasons later.

Cool, I'll check it out, I'm a fan Ron Moore's work(except Outlander). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Find Action Figures on Ebay

×
×
  • Create New...
Sign Up For The TNI Newsletter And Have The News Delivered To You!


Entertainment News International (ENI) is the #1 popular culture network for adult fans all around the world.
Get the scoop on all the popular comics, games, movies, toys, and more every day!

Contact and Support

Advertising | Submit News | Contact ENI | Privacy Policy

©Entertainment News International - All images, trademarks, logos, video, brands and images used on this website are registered trademarks of their respective companies and owners. All Rights Reserved. Data has been shared for news reporting purposes only. All content sourced by fans, online websites, and or other fan community sources. Entertainment News International is not responsible for reporting errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and or other liablities related to news shared here. We do our best to keep tabs on infringements. If some of your content was shared by accident. Contact us about any infringements right away - CLICK HERE