McFarlane Toys Announces Avatar The Legends Of Aang and The Legend of Korra Licenses McFarlane

JayC

Interesting that theres such a resurgence of avatar stuff lately. I know netflix just got both series but weird 10 years later things are coming out for it. DST has it but from my knowledge has never released anything yet. Will be interesting to see what McF makes. 

53 minutes ago, EvilHayato said:

Interesting that theres such a resurgence of avatar stuff lately. I know netflix just got both series but weird 10 years later things are coming out for it. DST has it but from my knowledge has never released anything yet. Will be interesting to see what McF makes. 

There are several figures and statues from DST. At toyfair they announced waves 3 and 4.

15 minutes ago, FASVB said:

There are several figures and statues from DST. At toyfair they announced waves 3 and 4.

Where is DST stuff even sold at anymore? Just comic shops? I remember they used to be at alot of stores that are now defunct like mediaplay among a few other mall shop chains. Never really saw any reviews show up or anything that i can recall.. Altho i enjoyed the show, i never really cared much for having figures of it. 

6 minutes ago, EvilHayato said:

Where is DST stuff even sold at anymore? Just comic shops? I remember they used to be at alot of stores that are now defunct like mediaplay among a few other mall shop chains. Never really saw any reviews show up or anything that i can recall.. Altho i enjoyed the show, i never really cared much for having figures of it. 

Walgreens, gamestop, BBTS to name a few. I've seen in a lot of places. Just can't start a new collection right now. Only reason that I didn't buy them.

I never really cared about Avatar, and I thought honestly after the bad M. Night movie nobody did, but it seems the show and the Diamond figures are pretty beloved, never did much for me, but maybe I'm missing something. anyways I always thought Korra looked fun like an anime unmasked kitana, I'd buy a figure, but I'd likely stop there.

10 minutes ago, Lord_Scareglow said:

I never really cared about Avatar, and I thought honestly after the bad M. Night movie nobody did, but it seems the show and the Diamond figures are pretty beloved, never did much for me, but maybe I'm missing something. anyways I always thought Korra looked fun like an anime unmasked kitana, I'd buy a figure, but I'd likely stop there.

The show is fantastic and still holds up extremely well. Id recommend a rewatch if you are remotely interested. It has some of the most well written characters in animation. 

52 minutes ago, EvilHayato said:

The show is fantastic and still holds up extremely well. Id recommend a rewatch if you are remotely interested. It has some of the most well written characters in animation. 

Both shows are fantastic.  I personally found Legend of Korra easier to connect to because the themes and characters were more adult. 

Interested to see what Todd does with this license. I loved The last airbender, but DST figures were hard to get for me, and honestly didn't like them that much. I kinda know what to expect from McFarlane now, so I'm kinda excited. 

Also there are quite some variants that they can make, like the time they all were hiding in the fire nation. 

• 7 months later...
We first told you how McFarlane Toys would be doing figures based on Nickelodeon's Avatar The Legends Of Aang series back in October., and now we have our first look at the figures for the line. Shown are Aang, Katara, Sokka, Prince Zuko and Appa.

McFarlane will be doing both 5" and 7" figures for this line. I believe shown here are the 5" figures along with the 7" scale Appa. I say that because I have only seen listings for 7" versions of Aang and Zuko, while I have seen 5" listings for all the figures shown in the image.

There should also be a 5" Aang and Glider Pack coming and a 12" Aang for the line which aren't shown here. These have been listed with a September 2021 release date by overseas retailers.

Ugh, that Aang looks like he was designed by Aardman animation?! Hope the production version looks better. BST AXN Aang wins at the moment..

5" scale sounds pretty good, but hope Mcfarlane commits and gets a lot of characters covered? I got all the Mattel ones way back but sold them as they didn't do any of the female characters so a display looked rubbish?? 

Fingers crossed for a cabbage seller playset??!

These are definitely an improvement over DSTs offerings. I hated most of their designs. They were so awkward with their proportions and didnt feel very uniformed like these do. Also APPA! 

Taking a second look at these, Zuko's fire accessories are really bad. Almost stunningly bad. Todd and his team could have learned a lot from paying attention to things Hasbro, DC Direct/DCC, and the Four Horsemen have done over the last ten years or so.

20 hours ago, Satam said:

Taking a second look at these, Zuko's fire accessories are really bad. Almost stunningly bad. Todd and his team could have learned a lot from paying attention to things Hasbro, DC Direct/DCC, and the Four Horsemen have done over the last ten years or so.

Still better than what Diamond gave us.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Satam said:

You don't actually think that.

Did you actually buy and open any of the Diamond figures? They didn't look that great. They were super restricted as far as articulation goes. The accessories weren't great. I would've rather had some Zuko fire daggers than a couple stupid fireballs that had to have their own stands. So yeah, so far these look better to me than Diamond's did. Maybe once I see them in person I'll change my mind, but as of right now I'd take them all over one Diamond release. 👍

3 hours ago, TexasTauros said:

Did you actually buy and open any of the Diamond figures? They didn't look that great. They were super restricted as far as articulation goes. The accessories weren't great. I would've rather had some Zuko fire daggers than a couple stupid fireballs that had to have their own stands. So yeah, so far these look better to me than Diamond's did. Maybe once I see them in person I'll change my mind, but as of right now I'd take them all over one Diamond release. 👍

I didn't. I passed because they were pretty bad looking figures made in the characters' looks from different seasons, so they would have made an odd looking set, anyway. I do however think the fireball fist they gave Zuko in the boxed version, and even the fireball from the clamshell version looks better than these things which honestly look like they should plug in somewhere on another toy entirely. If you don't, great, but I think they look like lousy fire daggers. Maybe if the handles weren't so prominent or were shorter or less cylindrical or something, they'd look better. Like I said, Todd's people should have paid closer attention to what other companies have done over the last ten years. Anyway, aside from Zuko's "fire daggers" here, sculpt-wise at least, these look to be a major step up from DST's figures, as I pretty much stated on Saturday.

On 6/7/2021 at 5:01 PM, Satam said:

I didn't. I passed because they were pretty bad looking figures made in the characters' looks from different seasons, so they would have made an odd looking set, anyway. I do however think the fireball fist they gave Zuko in the boxed version, and even the fireball from the clamshell version looks better than these things which honestly look like they should plug in somewhere on another toy entirely. If you don't, great, but I think they look like lousy fire daggers. Maybe if the handles weren't so prominent or were shorter or less cylindrical or something, they'd look better. Like I said, Todd's people should have paid closer attention to what other companies have done over the last ten years. Anyway, aside from Zuko's "fire daggers" here, sculpt-wise at least, these look to be a major step up from DST's figures, as I pretty much stated on Saturday.

Well the Diamond figures sucked. I'll give you that they could make the handles less prominent or even have them attach like at the wrists or something, but if those are the worst things about this line, I can let it go without a problem. But we'll see. And sorry, I don't usually go back and read posts from previous days, I was just commenting on the first post that I noticed from you.

We gave you a first look the other week at the upcoming McFarlane Toys 5" Avatar: And The Last Airbender products coming out later this year, and now thanks to Walmart we have detailed looks at the entire first wave of stuff. The toys are currently listed on Walmart's website but not yet available for actual purchase.  The wave includes figures of Aang, Katara, Sokka, Prince Zuko. There is also the Appa and Aang and Glider Pack.

Walmart also has the 7" figures listed but images for those have yet to be released. For 7" we should be getting Aang and Zuko.