Storm Collectibles Kengan Ashura Manga Series Figures Announced

Storm Collectibles today announced they will be doing figures based on the Japanese manga series called Kengan Ashura which is written by Yabako Sandrovich and illustrated by Daromeon. Stay-tuned for more details as they become available.

Kengan-Ashura.jpg

Not familiar with the anime so this will be one of those properties from storm i can happily pass on. Definitely looks like a series they will excel at tho. 

Speaking about anime and manga, it comes to my memory that Storm had the rights to make hokuto no Ken stuff, I wonder if the plans changed and they dropped the idea, that's about a year old and I've never read anything else about it.

11 minutes ago, Mr_Scary92 said:

Speaking about anime and manga, it comes to my memory that Storm had the rights to make hokuto no Ken stuff, I wonder if the plans changed and they dropped the idea, that's about a year old and I've never read anything else about it.

Theyve shown a Kenshiro at a few cons but have been silent about it in the last few. Youd think theyd push it forward til its done but seems some of their stuff gets put on the backburner. They showed him unarticulated when they first showed their Injustice line, where most were not articulated either and those all came out almost around the same time as eachother. 

59 minutes ago, Mr_Scary92 said:

That's kinda what I mean. Yes, they did announce having the rights to Hokuto no Ken, I believe they announced it in 2019. They showed a prototype, but they have released no product, and it's almost 2021. I mean, licenses don't last forever, nor are they dependent on how many products you release. You can have a license and have it expire before you do anything with it. Storm isn't a company that is financially struggling, but they're also not a company that's big enough that they can afford to just get a major license and do nothing with it. That's a waste of a LOT of money.

Storm announced the Darkstalkers license at the beginning of 2019 and we're just now getting our first figure of this HIGHLY requested toyline. Why they didn't start with Morrigan, the @##@@ mascot of the series, I'll never know, but Demitri is a strong start. He looks great. But still, I'm worried about some of Storm's decisions. If Demitri doesn't sell well, I'm worried they might just drop the license.

Storm Collectibles are expensive toys. These are not just things you can design and release on a whim. I know, they aren't as expensive as Hot Toys or Sideshow, but for figures that are basically in scale with say, NECA toys which retail for $30 and Storm figures are  almost THREE TIMES AS MUCH, they are not as easy of a sell.

I have NEVER heard of Kengan Ashura, and I am a pretty knowledgeable anime fan. It just seems like a poor license choice. Now I know, Storm Collectibles doesn't just make figures for Americans, but you'd have to be naive to not realize that they are aware the West is one of their biggest customers. I mean, their Mortal Kombat line is designed with Western customers in mind. It certainly isn't made with  Japanese or Chinese customers in mind, since the Mortal Kombat series is banned in both of those countries  for gratuitous violence.

Well, a pity, I liked the prototype they showed back then, the figures were going to be taller and beefier than the ones that Doctors Entertainment is producing right now, as Asterix mentions, they bit more than they could swallow or simply let the license expire in order to focus on something else. I must praise that sometimes they venture with the licenses they get and the figures they develop, for taking the risk at least.