Netflix Developing 'Conan The Barbarian' TV Series

Outsiders

Deadline is reporting that Fredrik Malmberg and Mark Wheeler’s Pathfinder Media have struck a deal with Netflix to develop an epic live-action series based on Conan, the iconic sword-and-sorcery character created by writer Robert E. Howard.  Part of the deal includes Conan Properties International, owned by Malmberg’s Cabinet Entertainment.

In creating this deal, Netflix has exclusive option to acquire rights to the Conan literary library and develop works across TV and film, both live-action and animated, including Roald Dahl’s novels, The Chronicles of Narnia books and comics publisher Millarworld.

A search for a writer/showrunner to script the Conan adaptation and director are currently underway.  Malmberg and Wheeler will serve as executive producers on the potential series through their Pathfinder Media.

The character of Conan the Barbarian, aka Conan the Cimmerian, appeared in 1932 in Weird Tales magazine.  The Sword and Sorcery of the Conan stories have inspired over over a thousand comic books, one hundred novels, three feature films, two television series, multiple video games, and a vast range of collectibles, toys, and more, worldwide.

In 2018, Amazon started developing a Conan drama series, from Ryan Condal, Miguel Sapochnik, Warren Littlefield, Pathfinder Media and Endeavor Content. Wheeler and Malmberg previously produced Syfy’s Blood Drive.

Conan_Netflix.jpg

• Like 1

An adventure filled exploration of the Hyborean Age . . . or a cheap excuse to crap out ANOTHER blood-soaked Game of Thrones knock-off? YOU DECIDE!!!

Sorry, still haven't completely gotten over the last attempt at a live-action Conan series.

I'm a Conan fan, but somebody remind me of why the Jason Momoa live action didn't work. I know he was not as buff then as for Aquaman but it just didn't work for me. I guess Arnold set the image of what size a Conan should be. Of course good acting skills wouldn't hurt either. I would like to see a good Conan series.

28 minutes ago, silverback77346 said:

I'm a Conan fan, but somebody remind me of why the Jason Momoa live action didn't work. I know he was not as buff then as for Aquaman but it just didn't work for me. I guess Arnold set the image of what size a Conan should be. Of course good acting skills wouldn't hurt either. I would like to see a good Conan series.

I just thought that movie was bad, but it wasn't Momoa's fault.  The script was bad and the direction was bad.  So was most of the acting.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mr_Scary92 said:

Suppose this series is successful enough to generate merchandise, like, dunno, a line of action figures, which company do you think will or would like to make it?.

Hasbro and they are all going to be Target Exclusive.

FeminineAcademicDogwoodclubgall.webp

• Haha 1

Seriously a line based on the Conan property would be really cool. As for companies doing them engineering wise I like what Hasbro is doing with their lines and in some cases NECA but I worry with how they would release them, ie making a lot of exclusives, etc.  

29 minutes ago, Mr_Scary92 said:

For me the possible companies to get the license and eventually make the line would be Neca or McFarlane Toys, out of these two I'd rather choose Neca, although I'm not a big fan and I've had many QC issues with their figures in the past , it's better than dealing with McFarlane, who is the one I think would be making too many exclusives,  let alone all the pointless variants.

I agree, out of those two I'd rather it be NECA, McFarlane would give me 3 different colored Conans before I get another character. For a Conan line, I would like something like the paint apps and details of NECA's Castlevania line but with added articulation and good QC. As for the series, I would like something like Hercules: The Legendary Journeys in terms of the adventure aspect but with a more serious tone and of course incorporating the source material. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Belmont13 said:

As for the series, I would like something like Hercules: The Legendary Journeys in terms of the adventure aspect but with a more serious tone and of course incorporating the source material. 

I like the sound of that.