G.I. Joe Classified Wave 4 Is Now Wave 3 - So Will Wave 4 Be A Movie Wave And Does Zartan Change Colors?

JayC

Back in September we first told you how Hasbro was going to be re-issuing the G.I. Joe Classified 6" Roadblock and Scarlett figures from wave 1 in the third wave along with the new Zartan and Cobra Trooper.

It wasn't entirely clear if Roadblock and Scarlett would be straight up re-releases of have some changes made to them. Based on new promo images released by Hasbro for the wave we can see that the two figures do have some slight paint deco changes.

On Scarlett it looks like the gold colors have been changed to brown. For Roadblock the red on his gloves has been removed and the gold portions have been turned to dark greys. Check out the new images for the entire wave 3 below.

If you don't want to have to try and hunt around for these figures at the big box stores then we recommend you pre-order them online at places like our sponsor BigBadToyStore.com.

GIJoe-Classdified-Wave-3-01.jpg

GIJoe-Classified-Wave-3-02.jpg

GIJoe-Classified-Wave-3-03.jpg

GIJoe-Classified-Wave-3-04.jpg

GIJoe-Classified-Wave-3-05.jpg

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Mr_Scary92 said:

A somewhat weird move on the part of hasbro to re issue those two even with slight paint changes, peg warmers for sure, I still get the impression that they still don't know what to do with this line.

i think its cause the snake eyes movie got delayed. this wave wouldve definitely had movie snake eyes and movie storm shadow as the other 2 figs in the wave.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, DrLava said:

i think its cause the snake eyes movie got delayed. this wave wouldve definitely had movie snake eyes and movie storm shadow as the other 2 figs in the wave.

I'd call it a foregone conclusion Hasbro was depending on the Snake Eyes movie to float this line. That would certainly go a long way to explaining the stunted character selection, anemic distribution, and virtually non-existent retailer support. Or at least, it's as good an explanation as any other (more likely than most actually).

So that brings the million dollar question. With the growing frequency of new outbreaks, lock-downs, and quarantines making the release of ANY given movie about as likely as a second stimulus check, how long can this line afford to limp along on repaints and promises?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mako: True in regards to Hasbro's handling, however we still have to take into account that a few Snake Eyes Origins Movie figures were originally indeed suppose to come out either late this year or very early next year.  With the delay of the movie until almost next year, we know that they had to do a bit of changing here and there, so they probably figured re-issuing some Wave 1 figures.  Though I suppose we can argue they could of chosen some different characters instead of Roadblock.  Though I will admit, Scarlett doesn't seem to peg warm in my area, so I can't complain too much.

In regards to the Redeco Scarlett, to be honest, I think the Gold instead of Brown makes it '"Pop" in terms of looks for a toy.  Though I suppose the Brown would make it more subdued and not stand out as much as the Gold.  I think the Pants for the Scarlett figure might be a lighter shade of Grey as well, though I can't say for sure until I see it in person.  I do wonder if they could of made the pants Purple instead, but that's just me.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

True, I think they could of Reissued the Wave 1 Snake Eyes.  Even maybe do a slight redeco(Like say add Silver or Grey Pant to the Black Suit of the visor, or even have the suit in a different colour, like a Light Grey similar to the Sunbow Cartoon V2 Look), but then of course, we would have fans complaining about Snake Eyes again too soon or something.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, JediJester said:

I want to know what magical land you folks live in where there are GI Joe pegwarmers of any character.  Every Wal-Mart and Target in my area has empty pegs collecting dust that gets knocked off only when they try to put some Transformer toys in the wrong place.

Hahaha yeah man, same thing around me, I have actually never once seen a Classified figure on the pegs, I've had to buy them all online, and it wasn't even easy to do that. I remember when I first told my friend about this line (he's not so in the loop inless it's Star Wars) and he insantly got very interested in this line, he is a brick and mortar hunter strickly and goes out every day, he has reported to me that he has only once seen a roadblock in a store and it was hidden behind pokemon plushies, but that's it. so to say pegwarmers even exist seems crazy at least from where I'm at, but now on to the new re-deco figures, personally I think it's nice for those who have yet to find these figures but they seem like lazy attempts to breathe some extra life into this scarce line, both repaints look blah, and I'm very fine with having the originals, I think 90% of the people who already own these figures would likely say the same, easy passes.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JediJester said:

I want to know what magical land you folks live in where there are GI Joe pegwarmers of any character.  Every Wal-Mart and Target in my area has empty pegs collecting dust that gets knocked off only when they try to put some Transformer toys in the wrong place.

Do they still consider them "peg-warmers" if they don't even rate a peg? The only JCs I've seen at ANY Walmart were a couple of Roadblocks and a Scarlett laying in that weird space at the botton of the pegs. You know how at the bottom of the pegboard they have that shelf sticking out, then below that there's a little cubby hole, then the floor? The Joes were in that little cubby.

They're Cubby-Warmers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Back in September when the 6" G.I. Joe: Classified Zartan figure first went up for pre-order, the official solicitations for the figure listed it with a color change ability like the original 80's figure had. The copy read as followed:

Series Zartan figure features a color-changing effect when placed in ultraviolet light, turning from a pale skin tone to a bluish gray color

Now back then, we first reported to you that the this was a mistake and that at least the regular release version in wave 3 would not have color change properties. Still many including myself wondered if perhaps there was a second figure coming that would include the color change ability. Perhaps a store exclusive version or such.
After all it seemed strange someone would have written up copy including a feature that never existed.

Well according to the site Toy-Wizard, Hasbro recently held a small G.I.Joe Q&A round-table with a few fan-sites where someone asked them if a color change figure was coming. Hasbro's response was no. Apparently such a feature isn't possible with the plastics and tools at hand. Apparently someone just grabbed a description of an old Zartan figure and used it for this new one, not bothering to read or confirm the features listed. I am not entirely sure why plastics and tools for such a feature aren't available now when they were clearly available back in the 80's, but I guess we will just have to take Hasbro's word on this and go with it's not happening.

The regular version of Zartan is currently available for pre-order at our sponsor

BigBadToyStore.com and will be released next year.
  • Thanks 1

Well, since Mattel is going to release a flocked MoTUO Panthor as a Wal-Mart exclusive I wouldn't be surprised if Hasbro did the same with this hypothetical color changing Zartan. Honestly nothing in the collecting surprises me (for good) at all lately.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, JayC said:

Apparently someone just grabbed a description of an old Zartan figure and used it for this new one, not bothering to read or confirm the features listed. I am not entirely sure why plastics and tools for such a feature aren't available now when they were clearly available back in the 80's, but I guess we will just have to take Hasbro's word on this and go with it's not happening.

Further proof that despite some great looking figures, the people handling this line don't seem to know what they are doing.

I might be slipping in my old age but why was Hasbro able to do a skin color changing figure back in the 80's but they can't do one now?

One thing that is getting me a little ticked off with Hasbro is they want to tease us by announcing new "G.I. Joe" figures, hyping them with making them either Walmart or Target exclusives and then pulling this crap when we want the good stuff.

• Thanks 1

On 12/3/2020 at 5:14 PM, mako said:

Do they still consider them "peg-warmers" if they don't even rate a peg? The only JCs I've seen at ANY Walmart were a couple of Roadblocks and a Scarlett laying in that weird space at the botton of the pegs. You know how at the bottom of the pegboard they have that shelf sticking out, then below that there's a little cubby hole, then the floor? The Joes were in that little cubby.

They're Cubby-Warmers.

hahahahahaha.....Touchdown!!!!! =^)