G.I. Joe Classified Wave 4 Is Now Wave 3 - So Will Wave 4 Be A Movie Wave And Does Zartan Change Colors?

JayC

Since this weekend's PulseCon G.I. Joe Classified reveals for wave 3, more details have come to light about that wave.

The two remaining figures for wave 3 will be re-issues of the wave 1 Roadblock and Scarlett, who will join Zartan and the Cobra Trooper. Yes the two most commonly found figures from wave 1 will be returning for wave 3.

Now back in August, if you caught my video, I told folks this wave was coming, however originally these figures were slated for wave 4, not wave 3. You can listen to me talk about this back in August here starting at the 10:38 mark.

Now wave 3 based on the information I had gotten was originally going to be a movie wave featuring movie versions of Snake-Eyes, Storm Shadow and an unknown female character, which presumably was movie based. Of course the Snake-Eyes movie as we all know was delayed until October 2021, so even in August I assumed there was a good chance Hasbro might switch the waves around. Keep in mind Wave 3 isn't due out officially until around March 2021, which means wave 4 will be coming out much closer to the movie's new release date, assuming things aren't further delayed on that front. If I had to guess, that original wave three movie wave will now be released as wave 4.

As for other mysteries we have seen for this line, I don't have any new updates for you. This includes a Lady Jaye figure that was originally listed by an Australian retailer. I should note at this time, the only place I have seen indicating Lady Jaye is coming anytime soon, is that Australian retailer and Target. I've not been able to confirm that one from any other source at this time. Doesn't mean it's not coming, just means that I have nothing more for you on that one.

Another mystery that presented itself this weekend, was the indication that the Zartan figure will have a skin color change feature when put it in the sun, just like the original 80's version had. This was listed in the official solicitations sent our to retailers this weekend.

Series Zartan figure features a color-changing effect when placed in ultraviolet light, turning from a pale skin tone to a bluish gray color

As I understand it however, this version of the figure does NOT actually have that feature, nor was it mentioned as a feature in the official presentation of it during PulseCon.

I find it hard to believe someone just pulled that feature out of thin air when they wrote up the official figure description for Zartan. I would say the figure either originally was going to have the feature and it was removed, or more likely there will be a second version released at some point that has that feature. Probably some kind of store exclusive. We did see a Zartan figure pop up in the Target system months ago. I would assume a figure with a color change feature would also include a chest plate with translucent plastic, like the original figure had to better show off the color change. If Hasbro really wanted to wow us, they would also include a Swamp Skier to go with the figure, assuming they do end up releasing a second one, but I won't hold my breath.

While we are on the subject of Target, other figures that have been found in their system this year include Lady Jaye, Flint, Major Bludd and Barbecue. Lets hope those don't all end up being Target store exclusives.

One final note. Wave 3 very likely will be fairly difficult to find at regular retail. You have fan favorite Zartan and a popular army builder Cobra Trooper figure mixed in with two figures that have already started warming pegs from wave 1. The likely hood that the large retail outlets will order this wave in large enough numbers to fill the demand for the two new figures, seems quit low.

However, small e-tailer and comic shops generally have the option of ordering single cases of figures they know will be in high demand. It can sometimes take longer for them to get those single cases in stock, but they will come. If you want to save yourself a lot of headache, time and gas, my recommendation is forgo trying to get these at the big box retailers, and just pre-order as many as you want at your favorite etailer like our sponsor BigBadToyStore.com. You could pre-order as many Cobra Troopers as you want an never have to worry about finding them again. Just a thought.

00.jpg

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

• Thanks 1

I really want to get into this gi Joe line especially the Cobra figures they just seem perfect for bad guys to VS any of my other 1/12 scale figures but right now I'm broke and can only afford what I can afford  getting into a new line right now is out of question for me

• Thanks 1

My guess is that the production Zartan will have the photochromatic effect, but the prototype figure the GI Joe team showed off wasn't made from that plastic.  As to why they didn't mention it, I'm also guessing it was just an oversight.  We'll find out next year, I suppose.

• Thanks 1

Something that has been kicking around in my head, is how come on the back of the box of the current waves do we see a Alley Viper on the back, it seems as though this figure should have come out since it's the only figure on the back of the box we have yet to see, I'd imagine as this series goes forward they'd change the back of the box to reflect the current characters, or maybe it will never change? I'm curious it seems like shouldn't we have gotten that figure at least announced? it's a odd omission.

10 minutes ago, Lord_Scareglow said:

Something that has been kicking around in my head, is how come on the back of the box of the current waves do we see a Alley Viper on the back, it seems as though this figure should have come out since it's the only figure on the back of the box we have yet to see, I'd imagine as this series goes forward they'd change the back of the box to reflect the current characters, or maybe it will never change? I'm curious it seems like shouldn't we have gotten that figure at least announced? it's a odd omission.

There's gotta be an Alley Viper still coming.  Maybe it was intended for an earlier wave but pushed back.

7 minutes ago, Satam said:

There's gotta be an Alley Viper still coming.  Maybe it was intended for an earlier wave but pushed back.

Yeah I mean seeing as how we have yet to see it, this must be the case, but already we have seen figures from wave 3 (and know the line up) and the listings for wave 4 have been noted, the new Target exclusives have been shown, but still no Alley Viper, it's just weird.

1 hour ago, Lord_Scareglow said:

Yeah I mean seeing as how we have yet to see it, this must be the case, but already we have seen figures from wave 3 (and know the line up) and the listings for wave 4 have been noted, the new Target exclusives have been shown, but still no Alley Viper, it's just weird.

It does seem a bit weird, but it does make sense to introduce the regular viper into the line first, even in a store exclusive wave (as much as we hate the Target situation). I'm sure it's just that, but there's been speculation by some online that the Joe team might be rethinking the kind of funky color choices they seemed to be going with on the box art and with the first wave or so, and if by some chance it might mean getting a red and black Alley Viper (my preference) over the orange and blue version, I'm cool waiting another wave or two.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Satam said:

It does seem a bit weird, but it does make sense to introduce the regular viper into the line first, even in a store exclusive wave (as much as we hate the Target situation). I'm sure it's just that, but there's been speculation by some online that the Joe team might be rethinking the kind of funky color choices they seemed to be going with on the box art and with the first wave or so, and if by some chance it might mean getting a red and black Alley Viper (my preference) over the orange and blue version, I'm cool waiting another wave or two.

I am totally down to wait myself, whatever it takes to get it right, and if they want to give us a red and black alley viper over the neon orange and blue that's cool aswell, although I do have a thing for that obnoxious highliter orange. I wouldn't be at all surprised if we got all 3 color variants at some point, the neon & blue, black & red and the red & gray. I'd probably be that sucker who bought them all.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Atlantis said:

Only thing I see with this Trooper vs the Cobra Island that could never be attained, is that there doesn't appear to be a goggle accessory.

Missing the goggles, an extra riffle and the red thing you can put on the arm. The paint decos are a little different as well. For instance the webgear on this one is dark navy blue and on the Target one it was black. The skin tone around the eyes looks darker to.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, iRandom said:

Assuming this line has a wave 4. I've yet to see Scarlet or the regular Heavy Duty, but I don't doubt the claim that they are peg warmers elsewhere. Seems like Duke and Snake-eyes have more appeal to the casual buyers and non-completists. Putting these figures in wave 3 can end up hurting everyone. The online retailers are going to be less interested in selling the individuals from the case since they'll be faced with a heap of unsold reissues. A better mix would be 2x each of Zartan & Cobra or 1x Zartan, 1x Snake-eyes and 2x Cobra. 

I'd be interested in a color change Zartan with Swamp Skier. That would hit the nostalgia button. Especially if you can take it apart.

Lets say the are the easiest to come by. The aren't warming pegs like say those Plasma Ghostbusters figures but like you could go on Amazon and get them at cost. When stores do get wave 1 they are usually the last to go.

3 hours ago, Satam said:

My guess is that the production Zartan will have the photochromatic effect, but the prototype figure the GI Joe team showed off wasn't made from that plastic.  As to why they didn't mention it, I'm also guessing it was just an oversight.  We'll find out next year, I suppose.

No its been confirmed that it wont have color change.

52 minutes ago, Satam said:

Where has that been confirmed?

Also a major feature like that I don't think is something they would have just forgotten to mention and or demonstrated in the press images they released. It probably would even be mentioned on the packaging like they've done with every other Zartan figure they released that had that feature. Also with the solid chest plate, it would kind of make the feature pointless.

• Thanks 1

On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2020 at 2:45 PM, JayC said:

Missing the goggles, an extra riffle and the red thing you can put on the arm. The paint decos are a little different as well. For instance the webgear on this one is dark navy blue and on the Target one it was black. The skin tone around the eyes looks darker to.

Yes. The goggles are what stands out for me; the brassard and weapons are nice. The good thing is the figure is going to be more available now. The Target people I talked to said they can only sell what they receive from Hasbro so what's been happening isn't their fault. You can take that with a grain of salt though. They also said they were  "aware of the concerns of their customers" and are "working to address the issue". Now understand this is one rep that I spoke to, and who knows how much weight, if any, can be put to this response.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

This line has surprisingly brought me more tears of pain than it has tears of joy, lol

New GI Joe in 6-inch scale : Yay!

They all have weird gold colored armor on them : Boo!

You'll never see them in stock at any store : Boo!

Wave two announcement : Yay!

You still have never seen wave 1, and you'll never see wave 2 : Boo!

Wave 3 announced, but you still haven't seen wave 1 : Boo!

Wave 3 will re-release wave 1 figs : Boo!

fml... lol

• Thanks 2

• 1 month later...
Back in September we first told you how Hasbro was going to be re-issuing the G.I. Joe Classified 6" Roadblock and Scarlett figures from wave 1 in the third wave along with the new Zartan and Cobra Trooper.

It wasn't entirely clear if Roadblock and Scarlett would be straight up re-releases of have some changes made to them. Based on new promo images released by Hasbro for the wave we can see that the two figures do have some slight paint deco changes.

On Scarlett it looks like the gold colors have been changed to brown. For Roadblock the red on his gloves has been removed and the gold portions have been turned to dark greys. Check out the new images for the entire wave 3 below.

If you don't want to have to try and hunt around for these figures at the big box stores then we recommend you pre-order them online at places like our sponsor BigBadToyStore.com.

GIJoe-Classdified-Wave-3-01.jpg

GIJoe-Classified-Wave-3-02.jpg

GIJoe-Classified-Wave-3-03.jpg

GIJoe-Classified-Wave-3-04.jpg

GIJoe-Classified-Wave-3-05.jpg

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, DrLava said:

i think its cause the snake eyes movie got delayed. this wave wouldve definitely had movie snake eyes and movie storm shadow as the other 2 figs in the wave.

I'd call it a foregone conclusion Hasbro was depending on the Snake Eyes movie to float this line. That would certainly go a long way to explaining the stunted character selection, anemic distribution, and virtually non-existent retailer support. Or at least, it's as good an explanation as any other (more likely than most actually).

So that brings the million dollar question. With the growing frequency of new outbreaks, lock-downs, and quarantines making the release of ANY given movie about as likely as a second stimulus check, how long can this line afford to limp along on repaints and promises?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mako: True in regards to Hasbro's handling, however we still have to take into account that a few Snake Eyes Origins Movie figures were originally indeed suppose to come out either late this year or very early next year.  With the delay of the movie until almost next year, we know that they had to do a bit of changing here and there, so they probably figured re-issuing some Wave 1 figures.  Though I suppose we can argue they could of chosen some different characters instead of Roadblock.  Though I will admit, Scarlett doesn't seem to peg warm in my area, so I can't complain too much.

In regards to the Redeco Scarlett, to be honest, I think the Gold instead of Brown makes it '"Pop" in terms of looks for a toy.  Though I suppose the Brown would make it more subdued and not stand out as much as the Gold.  I think the Pants for the Scarlett figure might be a lighter shade of Grey as well, though I can't say for sure until I see it in person.  I do wonder if they could of made the pants Purple instead, but that's just me.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I wonder why not reissue Snake eyes, since it seems to be most wanted figure in whole series so far.  However, both Roadblock and Scarlet are decent in their own way and good for customization options, if they get below retail it would be cool for custom people. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1