Aldis Hodge Joining 'Black Adam' Movie As 'Hawkman'

Outsiders

Aldis Hodge will be joining Dwayne Johnson in the New Line/DC’s Black Adam as Hawkman.  Dwayne Johnson stars as the titular anti-hero.

Hodge will play Hawkman, aka Carter Hall, a member of the Justice Society. It was previously announced that Noah Centineo is playing Atom Smasher.

Jaume Collet-Serra is helming Black Adam off a recent draft by Rory Haines and Sohrab Noshirvani. Adam Sztykiel wrote the previous draft.  Johnson, Dany Garcia and Hiram Garcia of Seven Bucks Productions are producing with Beau Flynn of FlynnPictureCo.  FlynnPictureCo’s Scott Sheldon will serve as executive producer.

Source: Deadline

Aldis_Hodge_Hawkman.jpg

• Like 1

I’m glad movie is moving ahead. I’m fine with casting but I think if they wanted to use hawkman’s role for representation  it feels  like missed opportunity, this role could be good fit for the actor of  middle eastern origin, since it does make sense with Hawkman’s convoluted story, considering that  Hollywood isn’t too good with middle eastern representation in general.  But as long as they make great movie and have decent costumes I really don’t care that much who plays who. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, SpiderS said:

I’m glad movie is moving ahead. I’m fine with casting but I think if they wanted to use hawkman’s role for representation  it feels  like missed opportunity, this role could be good fit for the actor of  middle eastern origin, since it does make sense with Hawkman’s convoluted story, considering that  Hollywood isn’t too good with middle eastern representation in general.  But as long as they make great movie and have decent costumes I really don’t care that much who plays who. 

Good points.  They probably had "Middle Eastern or African descent" on the call sheet and likely went with the guy who most impressed Johnson and the director, but we'll never know for sure.

7 hours ago, No1WonderFan said:

I'm so sick of the race baiting. Promote the existing minority characters and create new ones. Stop with the hand-me downs.

That was a good one....=^)

Hey.....Think about all Action figs made in different races!!! Superman White, Black, Brown, Yellow,....So cool!!!

Collect them all!!!!....What?....You don't want to buy them?.....Your a racist!!!! =^)

Man, what kind of world is this =^(

NO, just no.

DC/Warner gets a chance to course correct, and they just do the same crap over again.

Hawkman is not a black guy. Never was, never will be. If you want to have a black character in your movie, awesome, DC has plenty . . . choose one. Or make up a new one.

Don't F-up an established character with their own fans patiently waiting for them to get their own shot at the movies in the name of fulfilling some tokenist, social justice (ie racist) agenda.

• Like 1

On 9/26/2020 at 12:39 AM, No1WonderFan said:

I'm so sick of the race baiting. Promote the existing minority characters and create new ones. Stop with the hand-me downs.

I'm so sick of white people crying over everything.  You do understand that Egypt is in Africa right?  Thus the original Hawkman would have been BLACK not European.  His ancient depictions (outside of "reincarnation" in the 20s or whatever has been incorrect) would have him as a darker skinned person.  He was Black...he always should of been Black...and now he's the correct ethnicity.

Or simply put...this was the best actor and he wowed everyone involved.  So that means he not only does he represent that factual depiction of an Egyptian...he blew every white actor our the water...because he was better.

Stupid white people want to decry "race baiting" but use it for their salty white people nonsense.  Again this is why we can't have nice things...people like you, Mako, and every other butt hurt white person SUCK the joy out of the genre with this bigotry.  

And before anyone cries foul...talk to these white people first.  If they can spew nonsense...there will be people who are going to shove it their bs right in the faces.

On 9/25/2020 at 7:21 PM, Mightythorness said:

Please no I didn't mind them casting someone with a little darker skin color but I'm sorry Hawkman he is not black!! 

He was Egyptian...from Africa..WTF do you think Egyptians where? They were Black...like having to sit in the back of the bus in the 60s, picking cotton in the 1800s, getting shot by the cops 2020 Black.  "A little darker skinned" what you wanted Italian or Greek?  

Stop it basic white people...y'all showing how stupid and bigoted you are...and it's a damn shame.  You're okay the dude got wings but got beef because he's Black.  

Shut the absolute hell up.

On 9/25/2020 at 10:32 PM, FASVB said:

Again with this?

Again with what?

Again a Black person showed basic white people up and did a better casting call?  Obviously IF there was another better actor they would have picked them...but a Black guy got the part.

So not only will Hawkman look like he's supposed to look...they got the best person for the role.  It's too easy...stop being a basic bigot and catch up with decent humanity.

On 9/25/2020 at 11:51 PM, SpiderS said:

Hawkman is from Egypt....Egyptians are....Black.  This is a historically accurate casting.  

On 9/26/2020 at 6:09 AM, lordtom said:

Why doesn't hollywood just make all comic characters black and have done with it? It's just easier. 

Because stupid white people like the ones here will cry and complain about it.  Here's a suggestion:

Salty white people if this bothers you...go back issue bin diving and read comics from the 80s and backwards.  Watch crappy 70s comic books shows so you can get your white people as everything fix.

Then you can bask in the glory of everyone looking like you and feel empowered and that you matter.

You can also be have a Hawkman who looks (incorrectly) like you want him to look.

It's 2020...do better.

• Like 1

On 9/26/2020 at 9:00 AM, mako said:

NO, just no.

DC/Warner gets a chance to course correct, and they just do the same crap over again.

Hawkman is not a black guy. Never was, never will be. If you want to have a black character in your movie, awesome, DC has plenty . . . choose one. Or make up a new one.

Don't F-up an established character with their own fans patiently waiting for them to get their own shot at the movies in the name of fulfilling some tokenist, social justice (ie racist) agenda.

Yes...100% Yes

How is this crap? This is actually pretty damned good.  They picked a good actor...isn't that what we should want to we can have the best movies

Hawkman may have  been depicted as a white guy in print/tv...but as an Egyptian...he VERY MUCH IS Black.  So DC chose...and rightfully cast a person who looks like Hawkman always should of looked...Black.  There is no need to make up a new person (which you white people would of then called pandering and been mad for ignoring established characters) because Hawkman was there with Black Adam.

White people where in the wrong when they made Hawkman  a white boy.  He's not...he's Black...like the Egyptian he is.  

So, learn history before you spew nonsense...because you look like a bigoted, uninformed, entitled, blowhard. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, kILLMonger said:

Hawkman is from Egypt....Egyptians are....Black.  This is a historically accurate casting.  

From wiki "Mainstream scholars reject the notion that Egypt was a white or black civilization; they maintain that, despite the phenotypic diversity of Ancient and present-day Egyptians, applying modern notions of black or white races to ancient Egypt is anachronistic.[2][3][4] In addition, scholars reject the notion, implicit in the notion of a black or white Egypt hypothesis, that Ancient Egypt was racially homogeneous; instead, skin color varied between the peoples of Lower Egypt, Upper Egypt, and Nubia, who in various eras rose to power in Ancient Egypt. Moreover, "Most scholars believe that Egyptians in antiquity looked pretty much as they look today, with a gradation of darker shades toward the Sudan".[5] Within Egyptian history, despite multiple foreign invasions, the demographics were not shifted by large migrations."

15 hours ago, SpiderS said:

From wiki "Mainstream scholars reject the notion that Egypt was a white or black civilization; they maintain that, despite the phenotypic diversity of Ancient and present-day Egyptians, applying modern notions of black or white races to ancient Egypt is anachronistic.[2][3][4] In addition, scholars reject the notion, implicit in the notion of a black or white Egypt hypothesis, that Ancient Egypt was racially homogeneous; instead, skin color varied between the peoples of Lower Egypt, Upper Egypt, and Nubia, who in various eras rose to power in Ancient Egypt. Moreover, "Most scholars believe that Egyptians in antiquity looked pretty much as they look today, with a gradation of darker shades toward the Sudan".[5] Within Egyptian history, despite multiple foreign invasions, the demographics were not shifted by large migrations."

So now you've opened up  few dilemmas.

If modern scholars reject (they don't...biblical and extrabiblical studies point to the fact of how they looked) the notion the idea than Egyptians are "not white or Black" then DC was blatantly incorrect in opting to make Carter Hall white.  We know why they did it (bigotry) and it's historically incorrect.  Therefore Mako, Ghostbogey, lordtom and the rest of these salty basic white people should have nothing to say...because it doesn't matter. Unless they are bigoted idiots.

So lets pick: the white people here who felt the need to express their feelings are either stupid people who don't know history and just plain bigots...or they are just down and out bigots who can't help saying stupid things.  Neither one looks good.

In reality, since Egypt is in Africa...and Black people are in Africa (and everywhere else)...it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see what they were.  If they were alive today....here in this country...they'd be classified as Black.  They were most certainly NOT white.  Hieroglyphics showed us how they saw themselves...darker skinned/Black people. Because Black people can vary hues in a way white people can't they could range from dark brown to light...but they are still Black  They fooled with Nubia because they were Black,  They mixed it up with Cush because they were Black.  You couldn't tell Hebrews from Hamites (which included Egyptians) because they intermingled and all looked alike (Black).

So they most certainly weren't white.   Bigoted white people here should have nothing to say even if your assertion that they were "neither Black nor white" was true.  But it's not true...they were either one or the other.  Stupid things like "race" weren't a thing until the 17th century and that's so white people could use their nonsense pseudo science to justify slavery.  That still doesn't change the fact  Hawkman should be Black because he was from Egypt.  And that's what they were...Black.  Bigoted white people made him white because the last thing white people want is other people to show them up (hence why white people insist that somehow in all of Africa...Egypt was theirs).

They ethnicity of the region changed dramatically to Middle Eastern when Islam spread to the region between 639 and 646 AD. Romans had already been there...but Egypt was still Black.

It is telling that you replied to me like you were "educating" me and not  addressing these sorry SOBs who littered the bulk of this thread with their backwards foolishness. If anything you've helped them all look even stupider.

In doing what you did...you picked your side and made it know what you are okay with.  Cool. Again, this is why we can't have nice things.  Salty people smh.....  

20 hours ago, kILLMonger said:

So now you've opened up  few dilemmas.

If modern scholars reject (they don't...biblical and extrabiblical studies point to the fact of how they looked) the notion the idea than Egyptians are "not white or Black" then DC was blatantly incorrect in opting to make Carter Hall white.  We know why they did it (bigotry) and it's historically incorrect.  Therefore Mako, Ghostbogey, lordtom and the rest of these salty basic white people should have nothing to say...because it doesn't matter. Unless they are bigoted idiots.

So lets pick: the white people here who felt the need to express their feelings are either stupid people who don't know history and just plain bigots...or they are just down and out bigots who can't help saying stupid things.  Neither one looks good.

In reality, since Egypt is in Africa...and Black people are in Africa (and everywhere else)...it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see what they were.  If they were alive today....here in this country...they'd be classified as Black.  They were most certainly NOT white.  Hieroglyphics showed us how they saw themselves...darker skinned/Black people. Because Black people can vary hues in a way white people can't they could range from dark brown to light...but they are still Black  They fooled with Nubia because they were Black,  They mixed it up with Cush because they were Black.  You couldn't tell Hebrews from Hamites (which included Egyptians) because they intermingled and all looked alike (Black).

So they most certainly weren't white.   Bigoted white people here should have nothing to say even if your assertion that they were "neither Black nor white" was true.  But it's not true...they were either one or the other.  Stupid things like "race" weren't a thing until the 17th century and that's so white people could use their nonsense pseudo science to justify slavery.  That still doesn't change the fact  Hawkman should be Black because he was from Egypt.  And that's what they were...Black.  Bigoted white people made him white because the last thing white people want is other people to show them up (hence why white people insist that somehow in all of Africa...Egypt was theirs).

They ethnicity of the region changed dramatically to Middle Eastern when Islam spread to the region between 639 and 646 AD. Romans had already been there...but Egypt was still Black.

It is telling that you replied to me like you were "educating" me and not  addressing these sorry SOBs who littered the bulk of this thread with their backwards foolishness. If anything you've helped them all look even stupider.

In doing what you did...you picked your side and made it know what you are okay with.  Cool. Again, this is why we can't have nice things.  Salty people smh.....  

"Therefore Mako, Ghostbogey, lordtom and the rest of these salty basic white people should have nothing to say...because it doesn't matter. Unless they are bigoted idiots"

Man.....Does Not Take Much To "Trigger" a  Racist does it....=^)

And for your info.....I am not of the "Salty Race" (I guess he means white)...

Guess again, you might get my race right...Since race is so "important" to you...

Then again.....My race wouldn't make a difference to a scholar like yourself...

Lord help me if I were Black 

(I am not confirming or denying my race;  Just ask kILLMONGER he knows =^))

You would just say; My thoughts are controlled by the "salty basic white people"!!!!

I KNOW!!!! Google Told Me!!!! hahahahahahahahahaha.....Man, this is unreal..

So...Your one the "RIGHTEOUS  SJW" they talk about???

What a joke. Your a sick unit

1 hour ago, ghostbogey said:

"Therefore Mako, Ghostbogey, lordtom and the rest of these salty basic white people should have nothing to say...because it doesn't matter. Unless they are bigoted idiots"

Man.....Does Not Take Much To "Trigger" a  Racist does it....=^)

And for your info.....I am not of the "Salty Race" (I guess he means white)...

Guess again, you might get my race right...Since race is so "important" to you...

Then again.....My race wouldn't make a difference to a scholar like yourself...

Lord help me if I were Black 

(I am not confirming or denying my race;  Just ask kILLMONGER he knows =^))

You would just say; My thoughts are controlled by the "salty basic white people"!!!!

I KNOW!!!! Google Told Me!!!! hahahahahahahahahaha.....Man, this is unreal..

So...Your one the "RIGHTEOUS  SJW" they talk about???

What a joke. Your a sick unit

"Man.....Does Not Take Much To "Trigger" a  Racist does it....=^)

And for your info.....I am not of the "Salty Race" (I guess he means white)..."

Who said I was "triggered"...I just called you all bigoted idiots...which I freely assigned to you all based on your expressed stupidity and casual bigotry.

I never implied/suggested/alluded to what ethnicity you were.  I just lumped you in with them...because you parroted the same backwoods foolishness they did...hence the "bigoted idiots" barb which was directed at you all. If you don't want to be affiliated with it...don't high five it.

"Guess again, you might get my race right...Since race is so "important" to you..."

I wasn't the one in the aforementioned bigoted idiot camp who felt the need to comment on it initially.  You were however, along with the other basic people...and thus got called out.  It real simple.  I called you all out for what you all said.  Wear it with pride or do better.

"Lord help me if I were Black"

For real...because that would make you two words I won't say in mixed company...but hey as long as you can sleep at night Stephen

"So...Your one the "RIGHTEOUS  SJW" they talk about???

What a joke. Your a sick unit"

Well if knowing my comic book/real world history enough to know that Hawkman's initial portrayal was incorrect and this casting choice corrects it make me a "righteous SLW" well I guess there are worse things I could be be.  Imagine being like you and all of these basic salty white people...complaining on a thread because they cast a Black person to play someone who should have been Black from the start.  Imagine what kind of stupid, backwoods, basic, bigoted, uninformed, clueless idiot would want to die on a hill when they are 100% wrong and have no qualms about showing the public they'd rather be incorrect and bigoted than decent. And then when called out, call someone a SJW like it's an insult.  Okay, sure.  From the looks of things...my SJW coat looks alot better than the robes and hood y'all got on. 

Want to keep trading barbs or get back on topic?  Basically you all are wrong what what you all said.  I recognize it's a free country...so say what you will, just don't act shocked when people say something back.  

Like I keep saying...as long as pond scum like this is allowed to take root in the fandom we'll never have really nice things

SMH at people okay with aliens/mutants/superpowers/magic/mecha/etc...but butt hurt a Black person gets cast in a movie about these things. It's 2020...do better.

• Like 1

On 9/28/2020 at 3:57 PM, kILLMonger said:

Because stupid white people like the ones here will cry and complain about it.  Here's a suggestion:

Salty white people if this bothers you...go back issue bin diving and read comics from the 80s and backwards.  Watch crappy 70s comic books shows so you can get your white people as everything fix.

Then you can bask in the glory of everyone looking like you and feel empowered and that you matter.

You can also be have a Hawkman who looks (incorrectly) like you want him to look.

It's 2020...do better.

Awwwwww did I hurt your feelings because I want hollywood to do better than just race swap to please simpletons such as yourself?

Call me crazy but i'd rather new characters be created or put established black characters on screen rather than this eye rolling lazy choice. I wouldn't want them changing John Stewart or Cyborg so why the F would I want other characters changed? 

Prime example of someone new that I can't wait to see in their upcoming series is Kamala Khan

• Like 1

On 10/3/2020 at 4:25 AM, lordtom said:

Awwwwww did I hurt your feelings because I want hollywood to do better than just race swap to please simpletons such as yourself?

Call me crazy but i'd rather new characters be created or put established black characters on screen rather than this eye rolling lazy choice. I wouldn't want them changing John Stewart or Cyborg so why the F would I want other characters changed? 

Prime example of someone new that I can't wait to see in their upcoming series is Kamala Khan

"Awwwwww did I hurt your feelings because I want hollywood to do better than just race swap to please simpletons such as yourself?"

We've already been over this but ok...no you didn't hurt my feelings. I just called you salty people out.  The contention is you (and other basic white people) don't want Hollywood to "do better"...you want them to keep stroking your ego while being historically and factually incorrect.  Hawkman is Egyptian...thus Black.  It's not about pleasing anyone...it's about being accurate.  Continuing to make Hawkman a white person...in the face of archeological evidence just to make you white people feel important....that'd be pleasing simpletons.

"Call me crazy but i'd rather new characters be created or put established black characters on screen rather than this eye rolling lazy choice. I wouldn't want them changing John Stewart or Cyborg so why the F would I want other characters changed?"

Ok...I'm calling you crazy (and a idiot, and bigoted, and entitled), because even IF they "created or put in a established character" pissy white people would be butt hurt about that as well.  Because y'all move the goalposts.  There's nothing lazy about it, thanks to Geoff Johns, Hawkman and Teth Adam have history...they knew each other.  White people f'ed Hawkman up because they stupidly and selfishly decided that only white people did important things in history despite g'damned hieroglyphics showing otherwise.  That was lazy (and racist) and it's lazy to see you trying to defend it and act like you have a point.  John Stewart and Cyborg are fictional people intended to be Black people. Hawkman is a fictional character based on real people who was depicted wrong in comics that the movie is now depicting correctly. It's not the same thing and it's not hard to understand...unless you're a crazy, bigoted idiot.

"Prime example of someone new that I can't wait to see in their upcoming series is Kamala Khan"

Well seeing as Kamala Khan is based on a real ethnicity and was depicted that way...there's no reason for her to be anything else.  She's not "new" she's been a active character since like 2014.  No one just made her up for the show.  

I'll say it again for all of you crazy, bigoted idiots: Hawkman is Egyptian...Egyptians are Black...thus it makes sense.  The actor they picked was also the best actor that auditioned so it's a win/win.

You all look like crazy, bigoted idiots for being so butt hurt about something that is correcting a error.

You are all really just mad because the actor is Black

If they created a new Black character...you trolls would be mad about that and scream they should of used Hawkman.

They use Hawkman and you scream they should of made someone new.

STFU and go watch Superfriends if you have such a hard on for a white Hawkman.

2020 and still this.  We can't have nice stuff because of people like y'all.

Cried so much we can't get a SW movie every year. Y'all made DC  and Marvel back off from more representation in their monthlies.  Ugh.  There are plenty of back issues and crappy 80s/70s/60s/50s shows for you Ozzie and Harriet jokers to relive your white people heyday.