New 7" Gold Label Collection Mandarin Spawn Figure Revealed From McFarlane Toys

JayC

Todd McFarlane today announced that McFarlane Toys is doing a new 7" Gold Label Collection Mandarin Spawn figure that will be released as a Walmart exclusive. The Walmart one will be blue. There will also be a regular release version done in red. Todd in the video says the two figures will differ in a number of ways. The spikes on the shoulder will be reversed and there will be different faces and loin cloth. For accessories it will come with a big staff weapon which will be exclusive to the blue Walmart one and dragon sword which I believe will come with both versions. The figure looks to be possibly part of McFarlane's new The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt line I guess because their will be some kind of Spawn skin or such available in the game, similar to what we saw with Mortal Kombat 11. The Walmart exclusvie one will have a special gold foil label on it.

The Walmart one will be going up for pre-order on October 1. Todd posted a video which also highlights some of the articulation on the figure that you can check out below.

Walmart-Mandarin-Spawn-01.jpg

Walmart-Mandarin-Spawn-02.jpg

Walmart-Mandarin-Spawn-03.jpg

Walmart-Mandarin-Spawn-04.jpg

Walmart-Mandarin-Spawn-05.jpg

Walmart-Mandarin-Spawn-06.jpg

Walmart-Mandarin-Spawn-07.jpg

Walmart-Mandarin-Spawn-08.jpg

Walmart-Mandarin-Spawn-09.jpg

Walmart-Mandarin-Spawn-10.jpg

Walmart-Mandarin-Spawn-11.jpg

Walmart-Mandarin-Spawn-12.jpg

20 minutes ago, Mr_Scary92 said:

Impressive, Now Todd, if you could make it easily available to anyone who is interested in get it, i.e. not giving it to walmart, it would more impressive, just sayin'.

There will be a non-Walmart version in red released.

That looks really silly.  From what I can tell, the face on the other version looks much better.

And there's no way this is part of the Witcher line.  Todd was pretty obviously just pointing out the gold label on some already produced packaging.

Walmart exclusive?  No thanks! Not going to bother getting frustrated when the scalpers get them all. Todd makes great stuff but his company is just the same as Hasbro and all the others. ONLY NECA cares about their customers. 

Yeah it's pretty cool but , I gotta say the Original Mandarin spawn figure looks better than this, and why is that Spawn logo on his forehead this looks bogus, the original figure did not have that, it's a lame touch, also why a Mandarin spawn of all the spawn variations, this is the one you go to first? I dunno Todd, at least the red version will not be a stankmart exclusive

3 hours ago, Satam said:

That looks really silly.  From what I can tell, the face on the other version looks much better.

And there's no way this is part of the Witcher line.  Todd was pretty obviously just pointing out the gold label on some already produced packaging.

Yeah, I agree, he was more pointing out the fact that this figure is gonna be part of the Gold Label Collection. 

Now, talking about the figure, he looks cool, but since it's gonna be Walmart exclusive and I live outside the US, there's really no chance for me to get this at a reasonable price. 

1 hour ago, jlavaia said:

yeah this is 100% not a witcher figure. there is no spawn skin or anything at all related to spawn in the game and they finished updated this game years ago, nothing new will be coming to the game.

I believe it is. Again IDK how or why, the main reason I say it is though because I actually first got wind of this figure coming a few months ago from an overseas distributor that had listed the figure and listed is as part of the Witcher line. Granted in the video he doesn't specifically say its part of the Witcher line and the packaging he shows is for another figure, so I did update my wording a bit in the story since I can't say 100%. Here is a link to the source that first listed the figure. https://www.ruten.com.tw/item/show?22029903256101&fbclid=IwAR0l7kwniqUFr2NEIfVPsXZr-THVrXyqYOw5flkyZmfCurayKjN1giBuNNs  They even updated the listing with images from Todd's video.

Also even if by chance there is no connection to the game, where else would he stick it? He's not doing a full blown Spawn line.

I am seeing the video he posted on Instagram that plays longer than the one on Twitter and he does mention it being a different property, but i think he could just as easily have meant the actual packaging he was holding was for a different figure and said the word property instead. If you watch enough of these videos you can tell Todd often just speaks of the cuff. The package he holds up def isn't for the Spawn figure, but again I think it will end up being in the Witcher line due to the listing for the figure that showed up months ago saying it would be, and while you might be asking why would this character be in the Witcher video game line, my retort is what line would you have him put it in????

6 minutes ago, Mr_Scary92 said:

Why not?, what's stopping him from doing it?, I mean, he's practically done it already with his successful Kickstarter campaign, he knows there's a lot of people who support him and would support a line like that, so I ask again, what's stopping him?.

IDK what's stopping him but heard nothing that would indicate he is doing one.

10 minutes ago, Mr_Scary92 said:

Ok, maybe he just doesn't want to, doesn't feel like it, even if the demand is there, he simply prefers to release a figure from time to time and tied into other lines. 🤔

My guess its easier to get these Spawn figures from a retail perspective on to shelves when he mixes them in with these other better known property lines than it would be if he just did a straight up Spawn line. Yes even still after the Kickstarter.

14 minutes ago, Nosferatuman62172 said:

When was the red one announced, and where will it be available?

Todd talks about it in the video up above. The red one I am about 99% sure will be a general release which means everywhere that sells McFarlane figures.

I really get the feeling that Todd is testing the waters for Spawn at retail with kind of a one-off (for now) individual release (and requisite Walmart exclusive) of an updated version of one of the old line's most popular figures.  I think the fact that it says "SPAWN" in the corner there and nothing about The Witcher or Mortal Kombat or any other property he doesn't own but merely has the rights may speak to that.

Hm thats interesting considering that Todd claimed Spawn figures weren't marketable to big chains, Maybe this gold all star line that has different properties changed their minds, I wouldn't say I'm burning with desire for this Mandarin Spawn figure but I really would love to see some other classic spawn figures with new articulation, hopefully it sells well enough .

12 hours ago, SpiderS said:

Hm thats interesting considering that Todd claimed Spawn figures weren't marketable to big chains, Maybe this gold all star line that has different properties changed their minds, I wouldn't say I'm burning with desire for this Mandarin Spawn figure but I really would love to see some other classic spawn figures with new articulation, hopefully it sells well enough .

I think it's likely that the success of the Mortal Kombat Spawn figure(s) changed their minds. 

13 hours ago, SpiderS said:

Hm thats interesting considering that Todd claimed Spawn figures weren't marketable to big chains

But these arent being sold AS Spawn figures. The first one was sold as a Mortal Kombat figure and this one I think will be sold as a Witcher figure. Thats likely why we aren't just getting a dedicated Spawn line. As for the  Gold Label Series, that is just how they are differentiating the regular release with the Walmart ones, but each figure will still be under their designated brand. For instance the McFarlane Batman will still be released under the DC Multiverse line, but the Walmart one will have an extra little gold foil label on the packaging.

I'm surprised Mcfarlane doesn't cut out the middle man and sell these directly on his website, especially considering his penchant for doing things his way. I guess it's easier for another retailer to sell and paying for getting the exclusives. 

On 9/3/2020 at 2:48 PM, JayC said:

But these arent being sold AS Spawn figures. The first one was sold as a Mortal Kombat figure and this one I think will be sold as a Witcher figure. 

Spawn was actually IN Mortal Kombat 11, which makes sense to have a figure version of him. Its just a cross promotional way of getting figures made and spawn cross over together. McFarlane did the same thing when Soul Calibur 2 came out and spawn guest starred in the Xbox version of the game. With that deal, he made figures of some of the cast as well as 2 versions of spawn from the game. There is no tie in with Witcher and Spawn. I would hazard a guess that a 5 year old game will not suddenly be getting a new update that has any form of spawn in it to sell more copies. I would also find it an extremely strange move to market a mandarin spawn as a witcher figure. All that will do is confuse tf out of people. If anything, this gold label is more of a round about all star miscellaneous property akin to NECAs player select line they had years ago. It had miscellaneous characters from many different video games, but in one line. 

As for the figure itself, I used to love the original. I even had the original and a variant of it as well as the 2nd revision where they remade it. I had to purge and sell them as I really dont have the taste for most of my mcfarlane spawn figs anymore. But this one is a shell of what the original looked like. I dont really like how he articulates his figures as well. Hopefully if he does any later spawn releases, they have better reworkings. Fingers crossed for santa spawn and gunslinger spawn! 

• 3 weeks later...

Todd McFarlane today revealed the packaging for their upcoming 7" Gold Label Mandarin Spawn figure which will be released as a Walmart exclusive and goes up for pre-order on October 1. There will be a regular version released in red with some other variations. It's still unknown if the regular version will have it's own unique Spawn packaging like this one, or if it will be released under The Witcher banner which is how the figure was first listed when it originally showed up earlier in the year on some overseas solicitations. Todd hasn't gone into many details for the regular release one yet. Could Todd be sneaking out a full on new Spawn action figure line or is this just special packaging for this one figure?

Gold-Label-Mandarine-Spawn-Package.jpg

• 2 months later...
The new Gold Label Mandarin 7" Spawn figure from McFarlane Toys has started to hit overseas and now you can check out in-hand images of the figure below via Undead Mok. He has also posted a review of the figure which you can check out though it is not in English. You can still watch it to get a good idea of the type of articulation it has and such.

Here in the US, this Gold Label blue version will be released as a Walmart exclusive. There is supposed to be a general release version of this figure coming as well which will feature Mandarin Spawn in his more traditional red colors. We have yet to see any actual images for that figure other than some early prototype ones, or know when it will be released.

Mandarin-Spawn-01.jpg

Mandarin-Spawn-02.jpg

Mandarin-Spawn-03.jpg

Mandarin-Spawn-04.jpg

Mandarin-Spawn-05.jpg

Mandarin-Spawn-06.jpg

Mandarin-Spawn-07.jpg

Mandarin-Spawn-08.jpg

Mandarin-Spawn-09.jpg

Mandarin-Spawn-10.jpg

Mandarin-Spawn-11.jpg

Mandarin-Spawn-12.jpg