Netflix Confirms New Live-Action Series 'Resident Evil'

Outsiders

Netflix’s home of all things geek - confirmed today that a scripted live action series inspired by Capcom’s massive Resident Evil franchise is coming to Netflix.

Building on one of the most popular, best selling survival horror video games of all time, Resident Evil will tell a brand new story across two timelines:

In the first timeline, fourteen-year-old sisters Jade and Billie Wesker are moved to New Raccoon City. A manufactured, corporate town, forced on them right as adolescence is in full swing. But the more time they spend there, the more they come to realize that the town is more than it seems and their father may be concealing dark secrets. Secrets that could destroy the world.

Cut to the second timeline, well over a decade into the future: there are less than fifteen million people left on Earth. And more than six billion monsters -- people and animals infected with the T-virus. Jade, now thirty, struggles to survive in this New World, while the secrets from her past - about her sister, her father and herself - continue to haunt her.

ANDREW DABB, Showrunner/Executive Producer/Writer, said: “Resident Evil is my favorite game of all time. I'm incredibly excited to tell a new chapter in this amazing story and bring the first ever Resident Evil series to Netflix members around the world. For every type of Resident Evil fan, including those joining us for the first time, the series will be complete with a lot of old friends, and some things (bloodthirsty, insane things) people have never seen before."

EPISODES:  8 x 1-hour episodes

SHOWRUNNER/EXECUTIVE PRODUCER/WRITER: Andrew Dabb (Supernatural)  

DIRECTOR/EXECUTIVE PRODUCER: Bronwen Hughes (The Walking Dead, The Journey Is the Destination)  will direct and executive produce the first two episodes

EXECUTIVE PRODUCERS: Robert Kulzer and Oliver Berben of Constantin Film and Mary Leah Sutton    

PRODUCER: Constantin Film CEO Martin Moszkowicz

STUDIO: Constantin Film

ABOUT THE RESIDENT EVIL FRANCHISE:   

Since Capcom first debuted the genre-defining survival horror title in 1996, Resident Evil has become one of the best-selling video game franchises of all time, with more than 100 million games sold worldwide. Over the course of almost 25 years, the series has expanded beyond games into film adaptations and theme park attractions. The Resident Evil six-film franchise, produced by Constantin Film, has collectively earned more than $1.2 billion worldwide making it the most successful movie franchise based on a video game.

1 hour ago, Belmont13 said:

Those storylines sound awful, over ten games worth of storyline and this is the best they could come up with, not very exciting.

I was thinking the same thing.  It also reminds me quite a bit of the dumbass synopsis for Greg Berlanti's new live-action Powerpuff girls (sequel) show.

• Like 1

I was really hoping this would be a tried and true new and very fun retelling of resident evil or at least something to kind of be a fun side story to the games. But that storyline feels like a deviant art fanfic and a not very good one. I think fans would like a story that intertwines from the games in some capacity. I cant wait to watch papa Wesker and what goofy antics he gets into this time! 

On 8/27/2020 at 11:24 PM, Belmont13 said:

Those storylines sound awful, over ten games worth of storyline and this is the best they could come up with, not very exciting.

this is what I thought... why ! you have so much material to work with, I read this storyline and I have a sad feeling this is going to be like a knock off stranger things in a resident evil universe...

spacer.png

• 9 months later...

Netflix Geeked announced the cast for the Resident Evil live-action series.  Character roles were not announced but the cast consists of Ella Balinska, Tamara Smart, Siena Agudong, Adeline Rudolph and Paola Nunez.

Lance Reddick will star as Albert Wesker.

Resident_Evil_Cast.jpg

Resident_Evil_Cast_01.jpg

Since the trend seems to be u cant voice a character of a different race now. Is Wesker gonna be black here?

I like Lance Reddick but his voice is very distinctive. It would seem weird if it came out of the old Weskers look...

aaaand just like that they totally F'd the Resident evil tv series franchise.   wow lets now make a character who was Caucasian in all video game adaptions and even those awful live action ones and make him a poc, nothing against the actor I'm sure he's really good at what he does, but door swings both ways if the SJW muppets got upset that Apu and Dr Hibbert were't voiced by a poc resulting on one being cancelled and the other getting a VA replacement ,then a character who was Caucasian in all media should have the same thing right ? 

On 8/27/2020 at 4:49 PM, Outsiders said:

ANDREW DABB, Showrunner/Executive Producer/Writer, said: “Resident Evil is my favorite game of all time.

Really Dabb clearly not if you can only say one game is your favorite  outa the many many many versions and spin off games 

FFS even the animated movies had characters right as they used them exactly as the appeared from the VG and people could actually relate to the characters and knew who was who . 

as much as I like the RE franchise I just hope this bombs hard.. 

43 minutes ago, MRT said:

Since the trend seems to be u cant voice a character of a different race now. Is Wesker gonna be black here?

I like Lance Reddick but his voice is very distinctive. It would seem weird if it came out of the old Weskers look...

My bad. I thought this was the cartoon one.

8 minutes ago, MRT said:

My bad. I thought this was the cartoon one.

nah it's live action.. I guarantee you if this had been a well established POC character say Black Panther and they used a Caucasian Actor to play the role people would be demanding heads to roll for it !!  I mean double standards and all 

None of these actors look like any specific character from the series that I can think of aside from maybe a few. Im down for a brand new story with new characters and since we dont know who they are portraying, I will wait and see. If this cast is portraying older characters, I dont feel like it will fly so well but if its new stories with horror and BOWs and zombies, Im in no matter what. I want accuracy to the characters if they bring in fan favorites from the previous games. 

13 hours ago, tycondrius24 said:

nah it's live action.. I guarantee you if this had been a well established POC character say Black Panther and they used a Caucasian Actor to play the role people would be demanding heads to roll for it !!  I mean double standards and all 

Aaaaannnnd the clueless hueless are at it again.

It's already been pointed out that the original games had Asian characters that were portrayed yt in America. Were you outraged at that?

You can't change BP to be a yt person because the ENTIRE character is rooted in Africa.

False equivalency the best you got? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, tycondrius24 said:

aaaand just like that they totally F'd the Resident evil tv series franchise.   wow lets now make a character who was Caucasian in all video game adaptions and even those awful live action ones and make him a poc, nothing against the actor I'm sure he's really good at what he does, but door swings both ways if the SJW muppets got upset that Apu and Dr Hibbert were't voiced by a poc resulting on one being cancelled and the other getting a VA replacement ,then a character who was Caucasian in all media should have the same thing right ? 

Really Dabb clearly not if you can only say one game is your favorite  outa the many many many versions and spin off games 

FFS even the animated movies had characters right as they used them exactly as the appeared from the VG and people could actually relate to the characters and knew who was who . 

God, y'all want to be oppressed so badly...

So they f'ed the tv franchise because they cast a Black dude who was yt in the movies who was changed to white from the games?  

You do know how casting works right? Agents call their actors and tell them about the role and there is a casting call. Actors read and studios pick the best one.  Obviously all of the yt people must not have read as well because they didn't get picked.  

Lance IS good.  He kicks @$$ in Destiny.  He was good in John Wick.  He brings a whole hell of alot to the table.

Hey, if you can do better: go ahead and list your cinematic/video game credentials so we know you are speaking with a measure of insight and authority.  

Just say you don't like Black people.  It's faster to read that and dismiss you as opposed to trying to decipher that hot nonsense you wrote.

Milk crickets just refuse to be better....gonna get this thread shut down as well because y'all cannot talk without letting your bigotry flags fly.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, MRT said:

Hey, you remember Superman and JLA/JLU?  Lex Luthor was Black...Clancy Brown (white) voiced him

David Oyelowo(Black) voiced Agent Kallus (white) in Rebels.

Lance Reddick (Black) voices Commander Zavala (Awoken blue) in Destiny

Nathan Fillion (white) voiced Cayde Six (frickin Exo robot) in Destiny

I could go on and on.  Bottom line you don't know what you are talking about and you're speaking from mayosapien hurt feelings.

It's hot garbage.  

Stop it and be better.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, tycondrius24 said:

You like the RE franchise and think this is bad because they cast a black man as Wesker? You had no problem with all the lame ass way the movies handled great characters like the Redfields, Barry, Leon, Ada.... WESKER? You might be looking at things the wrong way. If the only way you can describe Wesker is “Caucasian” then you don’t have anything to say about the casting.  Lance Reddick looks imposing, intimidating, and badass, I’m not familiar with him in other stuff, but I bet he’ll do a kickass job. Better than any of the other film versions of Wesker ever did. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, tycondrius24 said:

How clueless are you? Do you know how representation works? Do you know why the world is changing? Do you understand why characters are being swapped or adapted? As a toy collector all I have to do is look at my display and I’ll see a vast majority of white males, if they were to swap one of them for a black man or woman to play that part they’d be taking one (1) of the hundreds of roles white males play, the other way around isn’t double standards, it’s silencing a voice and oppressing people. Read your world history, understand how misogyny and racism has affected billions of human beings and then come and tell us how much harm is done by making a white character a POC. 

On another note, just look at all the white washing of roles and stories entertainment has done, if only in the last decade, and then come cry “wolf”. Get a clue, then make sense of your complaints.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'm not in the mood to keep cleaning up and locking threads.  This is the only warning and goes out to everyone.  You can discuss what members talk about but you will keep it clean and in no way downgrading, insulting or demeaning.  I have given warnings to numerous members and I'll ban members if it continues.

4 hours ago, Outsiders said:

I'm not in the mood to keep cleaning up and locking threads.  This is the only warning and goes out to everyone.  You can discuss what members talk about but you will keep it clean and in no way downgrading, insulting or demeaning.  I have given warnings to numerous members and I'll ban members if it continues.

Calling people clueless for being racist is as bad as being racist now? Talk about “cancel culture”. 

• Haha 1

You all have this exact same argument every time news like this hits, like clock work and yet everyone always comes down on the exact same side, yet again you all choose to argue with one another. Why? Obviously your not going to change someone else's mind on why they do or don't like something. Its one thing to say I don't really like this for such and such reason therefore I will pass. Its one thing to say I do like this for such and such and plan on checking it out. BUT QUIT TRYING TO FORCE YOUR OWN VIEWS ON OTHERS.. It's so ridiculous and removes any chance of having a civil conversation, perhaps that is the intention, I don't like your views so I am gonna do what I can to sabotage the thread, IDK. Never-the-less its going to stop and people will just simply be banned if I see you attacking someone in some way. If you can't respect others DONT POST. If someone's opinion is actually making you mad DONT POST. If you feel you need to be demeaning to someone or make snide comments towards another person DONT POST. If you can't state your own opinion about something without expecting everyone to agree with you DONT POST.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2