Retro 1970s 'Batman' Animated Movie Reveals Cast & Synopsis

Outsiders

Holy Disco! Batman...

Warner Bros. Animation, DC and Warner Bros. Home Entertainment are producing a new animated adventure with The Dark Knight as he heads back into the 1970s for Batman: Soul of the Dragon.  Batman: The Animated Series' Bruce Timm is executive producing, with Sam Liu, known for Reign of the Supermen and Batman: The Killing Joke, directing and producing. Mortal Kombat Legends: Scorpion’s Revenge writer Jeremy Adams penned the script.

The movie has Bruce Wayne facing a deadly menace from his past with the help of three former classmates: world-renowned martial artists Richard Dragon, Ben Turner and Lady Shiva.

Soul of the Dragon stars David Giuntoli as Bruce Wayne/Batman, Mark Dacascos as Richard Dragon, Kelly Hu as Lady Shiva, Michael Jai White as Ben Turner/Bronze Tiger, James Hong as O-Sensei and Josh Keaton as Jeffrey Burr.

Source: The Hollywood Reporter

bmsd_still_09-h_2020.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, silverback77346 said:

Say What? Hey, I know that guy, its Luke Cage's cousin, Duke Cage. I recognize the armbands. Batman and the funky bunch. Okay I plan on checking this one out for sure.

No way, thats Black Dynamite and his soul-brotha Bruce Lee...

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, silverback77346 said:

Say What? Hey, I know that guy, its Luke Cage's cousin, Duke Cage. I recognize the armbands. Batman and the funky bunch. Okay I plan on checking this one out for sure.

I chuckled, because I saw that dude and said that's zuke cage in my head...also co-starring Fei-Long aka Slang-Chi aka Bruise Wee, and Kaleen Whing aka Katana with the Bouffant

anyways... DC animated movies tend to always be awesome, it's the one thing DC always tends to do right, so I bet this will be good

• Haha 1

Mark Dacascos and Michael Jai White? To bad it's not a live -action movie, cause that's some pretty great casting. Then again, I kinda dig the fact DC/Warner paid these two well respected and extremely skilled martial artists to take part in a movie where all they have to do is talk.

On the down side, I just know this thing will be done in that cheesy "Grind House by People Who've Never Seen Grind House" style Hollyweird loves so much.

Cause, you know, it's the 70s. ALL 70s movies were Grind House movies.

21 minutes ago, Satam said:

He was on Agents of SHIELD for about a season.

Oh yeah, I remember that, he was the Inhuman with the telekinesis. I remember being slightly disappointed that he didn't have much fight scenes but it was still better than his role in Stargate Atlantis.

1 hour ago, Belmont13 said:

Oh yeah, I remember that, he was the Inhuman with the telekinesis. I remember being slightly disappointed that he didn't have much fight scenes but it was still better than his role in Stargate Atlantis.

I was disappointed, too.  I think we finally got a fight between him and May, but they didn't have Kevin Tanchaeron direct the episode, and so it was pretty lackluster.

Anybody remember Double Dragon? Sure, the movie wasn't exactly Oscar material, but I liked it. At the very least it was a good way to burn a couple of hours on a quiet Sunday afternoon. Dacascos had some pretty good scenes in it.

With Kristina Wagner and Julia Nickson, I gotta say I didn't hate the eye-candy either.

TBH, even as a kid I hated that movie.  Maybe I would have like it more if I was 8 instead of 13. The best thing about Double Dragon, IMO, was the cameo from Ed Feldman and Joe Lerario, the two goofballs who would restore old furniture on PBS and the Discovery Channel.  It was kind of like getting a cameo from Bob Vila and Norm Abrams but if Bob Vila and Norm Abrams were funny.

17 hours ago, mako said:

Anybody remember Double Dragon? Sure, the movie wasn't exactly Oscar material, but I liked it. At the very least it was a good way to burn a couple of hours on a quiet Sunday afternoon. Dacascos had some pretty good scenes in it.

With Kristina Wagner and Julia Nickson, I gotta say I didn't hate the eye-candy either.

I watched it many years ago I barely remember it may have to watch it again. 

17 hours ago, Satam said:

Maybe I would have like it more if I was 8 instead of 13.

Well I was 22, so maybe you just had to be in the right frame of mind. As far as martial arts movies go, I prefer lite-hearted action-adventure to gritty crime drama. You can keep your Code of Silence or Hitman, give me Firewalker or Mister Nice Guy any day.

• 3 months later...

The official trailer has been released for "Batman: Soul of the Dragon," the new R-rated animated WB superhero movie from award-winning animation producer Bruce Timm (Batman: Mask of the Phantasm) and animation director Sam Liu (Superman: Red Son, Batman: The Killing Joke).

Warner Bros. Animation, DC and Warner Bros. Home Entertainment are producing a new animated adventure with The Dark Knight as he heads back into the 1970s for Batman: Soul of the Dragon. Batman: The Animated Series' Bruce Timm is executive producing, with Sam Liu, known for Reign of the Supermen and Batman: The Killing Joke, directing and producing. Mortal Kombat Legends: Scorpion’s Revenge writer Jeremy Adams penned the script.

Set in the midst of the swinging 1970s, this Elseworlds adventure finds Bruce Wayne training under a master sensei. It is here that Bruce, along with other elite students, is forged in the fire of the martial arts discipline. The lifelong bonds they form will be put to the test when a deadly menace arises from their past. It will take the combined efforts of Batman, world-renowned martial artists Richard Dragon, Ben Turner, and Lady Shiva and their mentor O-Sensei to battle the monsters of this world and beyond!

Batman: Soul of the Dragon stars the voices of David Giuntoli, Mark Dacascos, Kelly Hu, Michael Jai White, James Hong, Josh Keaton, Grey Griffin, Chris Cox, Erica Luttrell, Robin Atkin Downes, Patrick Seitz, Jamie Chung, Eric Bauza

Release: January 12th, 2021 (Digital), January 26th, 2021 (lu-ray and 4K)

• 2 weeks later...

it's good ol' 70's feel and I'm happy to watch this new "old world" animation :)  With all the modern ways cartoons are made these days, any nostalgic approach is welcome as long as it is done well. Of all the characters who are sooooo qualified to be placed in this kind of setting, Batman and JSA fits the bill all too well! I can't wait for a start-of-the-civilization feel animation--or even live action movie-- about  Hawkman and Hawkgirl... their unending yet ever-thwarted love though the ages.