DC Direct Shut Down By Warner Bros.

JayC

Since a number of people have been asking, here is a list of items I've been able to confirm at this time that will still see light of day from DC Direct. They have already started shipping out to etialers and comic shops so you will def be able to get your hands on them if you want. If I get word of anything else or of things def canceled I will update accordingly.

DC Comics Batman Rogues The Joker Limited Edition Multi-Part Statue Diorama

Batman: The Adventures Continue Azrael Figure

Batman: The Adventures Continue Batman (Ver. 2) Figure

Batman: The Adventures Continue Harley Quinn Figure

Batman: The Adventures Continue Red Hood Figure

Cover Girls of the DC Universe Catwoman Limited Edition Statue (Joelle Jones)

DC Essentials Batman (Rebirth Version 2) Figure

DC Essentials The Flash (Speed Force) Figure

DC Essentials Nightwing (New 52) Figure

DC Essentials Superman (The Return of Superman) Figure

DC Comics Red White & Black Harley Quinn Limited Edition Statue (Guillem March)

DC Comics Superman Vs. Darkseid Limited Edition Battle Statue (Third Edition)

Batman Black and White Armored Batman Limited Edition Statue (Frank Miller)

DC Comics Batman Rogues Harley Quinn Limited Edition Multi-Part Statue Diorama

Batman: The Adventures Continue Deathstroke Figure

Batman: The Adventures Continue Robin Figure

Batman: The Adventures Continue Super Armor Batman Figure

Batman: The Adventures Continue The Joker Figure

DC Designer Series Metal Batman Limited Edition Mini Statue (Greg Capullo)

DC Designer Series Nightwing Limited Edition Mini Statue (Jim Lee)

Batman Black and White Armored Batman (V.3) Limited Edition Statue (Jim Lee)

Cover Girls of the DC Universe Harley Quinn Limited Edition Statue (Frank Cho)

DC Designer Series Batman Limited Edition Mini Statue (Mike Mignola)

DC Essentials Batman (DCeased) Figure

DC Essentials Batman (DCeased) Figure

DC Essentials The Joker (DCeased) Figure

DC Essentials Aquaman (DCeased) Figure

DC Essentials Green Lantern (DCeased) Figure

DC Comics Red White & Black Harley Quinn Limited Edition Statue (Steve Pugh)

DC Designer Series Batman Limited Edition Deluxe Statue (Alex Ross)

• Like 1

This is saddening news, DC Direct had come a long way and were coming up with some really good figures. I never liked the look of the DCUC line so I would turn to DC Direct for my DC figures fix. All of those employees losing their jobs like that, sad and I fear the worst is yet to come. I'm pretty sure the DC Universe streaming app is next, especially with them moving the shows to HBO Max. Hasbro, you are up, snag up that license and give us DC Legends/Classified/Lightning figures. lol 

41 minutes ago, Belmont13 said:

This is saddening news, DC Direct had come a long way and were coming up with some really good figures. I never liked the look of the DCUC line so I would turn to DC Direct for my DC figures fix. All of those employees losing their jobs like that, sad and I fear the worst is yet to come. I'm pretty sure the DC Universe streaming app is next, especially with them moving the shows to HBO Max. Hasbro, you are up, snag up that license and give us DC Legends/Classified/Lightning figures. lol 

A DC line done by Hasbro in 6' scale utilizing the vast assortment of ML bucks would be a dream come true for all of us! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

58 minutes ago, Belmont13 said:

I'm pretty sure the DC Universe streaming app is next, especially with them moving the shows to HBO Max.

AT&T/WB fired virtually everyone who worked at the DC Universe streaming service yesterday.  It's a very safe bet that it will be shut down after the Fandome event, where they will undoubtedly announce that new episodes of Doom Patrol and Harley Quinn (likely to both be renewed since their casts are part of the event) will be premiering exclusively on HBO Max and that Young Justice and Titans will join them.  It's just super weird that they didn't wait to let everyone go. That's like evil business 101.

So sad to see AT&T gut DC Comics & shutter DC Direct. Warner Media is just doing the bidding of the new owner's directions. Having worked in media for my entire career, I've witnessed these kind of bloodbaths and the subsequent fallout from what is left behind. Tragic for so many talented people at the company. AT&T hasn't a clue about DC as a source of IP's for Warner Brothers' movies & TV/Streaming/Internet entertainment platforms. Disney recognizes the value of Marvel, AT&T obviously doesn't. The rumors of AT&T ending publishing of weekly comics would be beyond stupid, but these big companies have little finesse with the arts & entertainment industry.batman.weather.thumb.jpg.95fc9a0531a87c7c3a0c4e7acef4c5d0.jpg

I'd be surprised to see any merchandise from DC Direct if it wasn't already in the manufacturing pipeline. That product announced for late 2020 & later release is lost unless a third party steps in and takes over specific lines like statues & toys. I'd expect McFarlane Toys has a green light to run with all DC action figures now. If I were Todd, I'd announce that McFarlane will continue to make Batman Animated action figures in the 6" size & style of the original. The fans would would be ecstatically happy. I'd also show a new Punchline action figure too. This would show that there is a future for DC characters going forward.

I don't have a clue as to who would take over the statue line. Gentle Giant? DC had a good reputation in this area until the famous Batman VS Harley Quinn Battle statue debacle. The Batman Villains diorama will be incomplete without the Mr.Freeze & Deadshot statues missing. I hope that can be salvaged, but who knows?

A very sad time for DC Comics' fans. The horror of 2020 continues.

15 hours ago, Satam said:

The DC brand is just fine.  It's iconic and WB needs it for some of its hottest movies and tv shows.  DC Comics, the publisher, however, that's been in danger for a while, and while it will survive this latest "streamlining" or "restructuring," or whatever they want to call it, there's a real chance, unfortunately, that AT&T's next step could be to wind it down.

SLIGHT correction:
<P>
The CHARACTERS will be just fine.  The brand . . . MIGHT be just fine.  In that some version of the universe may yet persist.
<P>
HOWEVER . . . there has been a LOT of speculation that AT&T is SO under-confident in DC that it may just yank DC out from WB altogether, and sell it off to Disney/Marvel.  Which means the brand might continue as a separate imprint side-by-side with Marvel . . . OR it could get folded in entirely, and DC would, in fact . . . more or less cease to exist.
<P>
So . . . yeah, the publisher is about dead, and the brand . . . COULD survive, or could be on the same path.

See, this is exactly why I got out of the 9 to 5 drag and went freelance. Even if you do your job, and do it well, come in early, go home late, come in on weekends, avoid all the pitfalls like interoffice politics, stress, burn-out, ulcers; you can still come in one day and find out your entire part of the company (if not the company itself) has been phased out. Then you better pray the pink-slip says "fired" instead of "laid-off" or you can forget unemployment.

Also, who fires an entire part of their company during a global pandemic!?! I mean, I get ATT's plans for DC don't include . . . DC, but that's the stuff of bad melodrama. We're talking Lex Luthor, J.R. Ewing, pre-ghost Ebeneezer Scrooge level evil.

First off, because God forbid someone make a point without the morally superior ripping you a new one, it's unfortunate that a lot of folks who have nothing to do with the real issues got terminated. That's what happened here, unfortunately it happens a lot.

With that out of the way, I wish everyone would stop pretending DC has been this industry standard the last 10 years. It hasn't. It's solidified itself as the second best brand in comics. A very distant second. Shall we go through some of this?

DC App: Do any of you even complaining subscribe to this? This was a bad idea from the start.

DC Collectibles/Direct: This is what happens when your business model is the equivalent of a chicken running around with its head cut off. "Let's do Icons! No, let's do Essentials! No, let's flood the market with Batman statues! No, wait, we need more Harley Quinn statues too! Don't forget to cancel all those preorders and make sure to replace them with lazy repaints! Super-who?" Whoever's reading this should stop pretending you weren't one of the people saying "Does DC Direct know they have other characters besides Batman?" or "When you make up your mind I'll buy your stuff again."

DC Films: Recap of the last seven years: Superman's suit is too dark. "Batman dusunt kill hack snyder" in tandem with WB cutting a half hour out of the movie for no logical reason. Reshooting the next movie because bloggers didn't think the last one was "Marvel" enough. Complaining that Gal Gadot has the "wrong" body type. "You go home Zack, we'll have Joss reshoot your movie and fix Henry's mustache while you deal with your daughter's suicide." "Aquaman is trash,  who puts an octopus playing the drums in your underwater movie?" "I have an idea! Let's sandwich Shazam! between two movies the normie public actually want to see! Cash grab!" "YOU CAN'T RELEASE JOKER!!!! THE INCELS WILL KILL US ALL!!!!" -"Birds of Prey failed because men, who we openly bashed before it was released, didn't go see it of coronavirus."

DC Comics: It's laughable to hear Cochran say his "sources" tell him the comics are a money loser. Boy, you went out on a limb with that one. This doesn't get a lot of play here but the actual comic book division is a toilet that should've been flushed a long time ago, pandemic or otherwise. Brian Michael Bendis drove Superman into the ground. Releasing trash covers like that WW84 variant to stick it to "toxic males" who prefer Wonder Woman look like Wonder Woman. Tom King publicly trying to get Jae Lee fired because he does business with "wrong thinkers". And most importantly, THE OPEN DISDAIN FOR THE PAYING CUSTOMER. Everyone involved in this division of the company needs to go. The spilt with Diamond was mainly because they had to prove to AT&T they were a money maker, making "Pencils Down" not an option. Too little too late.

If anyone here (including Cochran) was actually paying attention to what's been going on the last 10 years instead of whining about toys none of this would come as a shock to you. My only sympathies go to the folks in the middle of the crossfire of these complete morons who ran DC, in all its forms, into the ground.

As for AT&T, well, I really don't know what to say that won't get me replies like "Oh poor billion dollar company". They have massive, massive debt. When you have debt you need to make money. When you need to make money you need to get rid of divisions that don't make money. The DC App doesn't make money. DC Direct doesn't make money. DC Films doesn't make the money they want it to make. And DC Comics actually loses money. Seems cut and dry to me.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, banerules2012 said:

First off, because God forbid someone make a point without the morally superior ripping you a new one, it's unfortunate that a lot of folks who have nothing to do with the real issues got terminated. That's what happened here, unfortunately it happens a lot.

With that out of the way, I wish everyone would stop pretending DC has been this industry standard the last 10 years. It hasn't. It's solidified itself as the second best brand in comics. A very distant second. Shall we go through some of this?

DC App: Do any of you even complaining subscribe to this? This was a bad idea from the start.

DC Collectibles/Direct: This is what happens when your business model is the equivalent of a chicken running around with its head cut off. "Let's do Icons! No, let's do Essentials! No, let's flood the market with Batman statues! No, wait, we need more Harley Quinn statues too! Don't forget to cancel all those preorders and make sure to replace them with lazy repaints! Super-who?" Whoever's reading this should stop pretending you weren't one of the people saying "Does DC Direct know they have other characters besides Batman?" or "When you make up your mind I'll buy your stuff again."

DC Films: Recap of the last seven years: Superman's suit is too dark. "Batman dusunt kill hack snyder" in tandem with WB cutting a half hour out of the movie for no logical reason. Reshooting the next movie because bloggers didn't think the last one was "Marvel" enough. Complaining that Gal Gadot has the "wrong" body type. "You go home Zack, we'll have Joss reshoot your movie and fix Henry's mustache while you deal with your daughter's suicide." "Aquaman is trash,  who puts an octopus playing the drums in your underwater movie?" "I have an idea! Let's sandwich Shazam! between two movies the normie public actually want to see! Cash grab!" "YOU CAN'T RELEASE JOKER!!!! THE INCELS WILL KILL US ALL!!!!" -"Birds of Prey failed because men, who we openly bashed before it was released, didn't go see it of coronavirus."

DC Comics: It's laughable to hear Cochran say his "sources" tell him the comics are a money loser. Boy, you went out on a limb with that one. This doesn't get a lot of play here but the actual comic book division is a toilet that should've been flushed a long time ago, pandemic or otherwise. Brian Michael Bendis drove Superman into the ground. Releasing trash covers like that WW84 variant to stick it to "toxic males" who prefer Wonder Woman look like Wonder Woman. Tom King publicly trying to get Jae Lee fired because he does business with "wrong thinkers". And most importantly, THE OPEN DISDAIN FOR THE PAYING CUSTOMER. Everyone involved in this division of the company needs to go. The spilt with Diamond was mainly because they had to prove to AT&T they were a money maker, making "Pencils Down" not an option. Too little too late.

If anyone here (including Cochran) was actually paying attention to what's been going on the last 10 years instead of whining about toys none of this would come as a shock to you. My only sympathies go to the folks in the middle of the crossfire of these complete morons who ran DC, in all its forms, into the ground.

As for AT&T, well, I really don't know what to say that won't get me replies like "Oh poor billion dollar company". They have massive, massive debt. When you have debt you need to make money. When you need to make money you need to get rid of divisions that don't make money. The DC App doesn't make money. DC Direct doesn't make money. DC Films doesn't make the money they want it to make. And DC Comics actually loses money. Seems cut and dry to me.

Facts, nothing but the facts. Now let the butthurt retorts commence.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mako said:

See, this is exactly why I got out of the 9 to 5 drag and went freelance. Even if you do your job, and do it well, come in early, go home late, come in on weekends, avoid all the pitfalls like interoffice politics, stress, burn-out, ulcers; you can still come in one day and find out your entire part of the company (if not the company itself) has been phased out. Then you better pray the pink-slip says "fired" instead of "laid-off" or you can forget unemployment.

Also, who fires an entire part of their company during a global pandemic!?! I mean, I get ATT's plans for DC don't include . . . DC, but that's the stuff of bad melodrama. We're talking Lex Luthor, J.R. Ewing, pre-ghost Ebeneezer Scrooge level evil.

For years, YEARS, you have made comments that prove you have no idea what you're talking about. When this pandemic started how many people were laid off at DC? Maybe a few people, if that? It sure as hell wasn't like Marvel. They TRIED to keep the jobs. It failed. Why? Get this through your head: DC COMICS MAKES NO MONEY. When you're $150 billion in debt you need to dump things that make no money. It's not right or wrong or "evil" (what a stupid comment), it's a fact. You want to talk Lex Luthor s***? There are companies like WWE that are profitable and STILL lay people off.

Here's a friendly reminder for everyone here: Mako has been p****** on just about everything DC has done for years. Mattel. The Nolan Trilogy. The TV shows (including some idiotic "grudge" with Michael Rosenbaum). Now he's upset that the people producing the stuff he's constantly complained about are being let go. Hypocrite much?

And spare us your projection. If working with someone you just describe causes an ulcer you need to go to a doctor, not quit to become a "freelancer". Nine times out of ten "freelancer" means, well you know what it means.

8 minutes ago, Gigantor said:

Facts, nothing but the facts. Now let the butthurt retorts commence.

Thank you. I appreciate that, I really do. For 30 years I've been a "DC Guy". For me it's so sad to see what's going on with these characters, but the truth is the truth. I guess I shouldn't expect much research from people on the Internet but to see piles of "Oh no this is terrible f*** AT&T" all over the place when the writing's been on the wall for years amazes me.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, banerules2012 said:

Thank you. I appreciate that, I really do. For 30 years I've been a "DC Guy". For me it's so sad to see what's going on with these characters, but the truth is the truth. I guess I shouldn't expect much research from people on the Internet but to see piles of "Oh no this is terrible f*** AT&T" all over the place when the writing's been on the wall for years amazes me.

Your welcome to make a point or even counter point as long as you can do it without attacking others or essentially telling people to stop talking when you disagree with them. That goes for everyone.

11 minutes ago, banerules2012 said:

I've been a DC guy bout as long as you have & I could never get into any DC action figure line except the DCUC line. That line showed that the people behind it were fans of the entire DCU, not just Sperman/ Batman. The 4HM are great sculpters  & they gave me DC  figures I never thought I'd see made! The other DC action figure lines, not at all. They were all over the place scale wise & the 1st decade + of DC Directp, the figures were basically stactions. Limited POA & hardly any accessories at all. DC Icons looked promising but were tiny compared to ML figures. Essentials line looked good but was in the 7' scale. For my $$, the Timmverse Was & still is the best superhero animated series ever. I like a lot of their DC animated movies but got burnt out on just bout everyone of them being based on The big 2 with an occasional one covering the other members of the core JL. But where are the animated movies bout the JSA, LOSH, Doom Patrol, Metal men,  Hawkman/ Hawkgirl, Martian Manhunter? I enjoyed the 2 Suicide Squad animated movies immensely & wish they would make a LOD  based movie as well as a solo Deathstroke based animated movie. As far as the comics go, I stopped collecting both DC & Marvel when they started pushing the PC SJW  VS down our throats. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, JayC said:

Your welcome to make a point or even counter point as long as you can do it without attacking others or essentially telling people to stop talking when you disagree with them. That goes for everyone.

You see Jay, this is one of the many reasons why your forum, like DC, is in the toilet. Twelve years ago when you couldn't be bothered to moderate anything things way worse than "Dude, stop talking" were said. Now you're going around polishing up other people's comments to fit some moral standard? You honestly have nothing better to do than protect one of your last OG forum members from comments like "Dude, stop talking"? I practically called the guy an unemployed bum and that's what set you off? No wonder headlines get published with third grade spelling errors and you go around acting surprised that DC is in trouble.

By the way Jay, it's "you're".

Edited by banerules2012
The guy who runs this site doesn't know the difference between "your" and "you're".
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, banerules2012 said:

You see Jay, this is one of the many reasons why your forum, like DC, is in the toilet. Twelve years ago when you couldn't be bothered to moderate anything things way worse than "Dude, stop talking" were said. Now you're going around polishing up other people's comments to fit some moral standard? You honestly have nothing better to do than protect one of your last OG forum members from comments like "Dude, stop talking"? I practically called the guy an unemployed bum and that's what set you off? No wonder headlines get published with third grade spelling errors and you go around acting surprised that DC is in trouble.

By the way Jay, it's "you're".

Ok then leave. You obviously are here to troll an not much else. So as they say dont let the door hit you on the way out.

14 hours ago, FASVB said:

So not Catwoman or Scarecrow. 

Not confirmed just yet but I am getting indications other stuff will be released. Waiting on final confirmation before updating the list.

27 minutes ago, JayC said:

Ok then leave. You obviously are here to troll an not much else. So as they say dont let the door hit you on the way out.

What exactly is he "trolling" about? He stated a ton of facts about the mess that DC has been in for a very long time. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Gigantor said:

What exactly is he "trolling" about? He stated a ton of facts about the mess that DC has been in for a very long time. 

Because he is attacking people. You can state what you may feel is fact without telling other people to shut up. Then when asked to not attack people he decided to attack me, which I dont really care but if you cant come on here and be respectful to others your not going to be staying, especially when your someone with only like three posts.

11 minutes ago, JayC said:

Because he is attacking people. You can state what you may feel is fact without telling other people to shut up. Then when asked to not attack people he decided to attack me, which I dont really care but if you cant come on here and be respectful to others your not going to be staying, especially when your someone with only like three posts.

I went back & re-read his post & it seems to me like the only people he was "attacking" in his post was the DC company itself. 

9 minutes ago, Gigantor said:

I went back & re-read his post & it seems to me like the only people he was "attacking" in his post was the DC company itself. 

Thats because I edited his post, and removed the part where he told someone to quit Talking. So lets get back to the topic at hand, if you or he have any other questions feel free to hit me up via PM.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, JayC said:

You need to look up the words "attack" and "troll" because I don't think they mean what you think they do. I got a little salty with Mako, fine, you got me. Then you go after me for the silliest nonsense then continue it with this trash? Please.

Did you even bother looking at my profile? It says TWO-THOUSAND AND ELEVEN!!! I've been a member for years. Look up username cjflan32. It was what I used to go under before one of your thug moderators stopped me from posting (I wasn't banned, my posts had to be reviewed) then (like everyone else) left.

I used to roll with ViperHunter. Wiseman. Wheeljack. YoJoeBro. SuperPowers1980. h3llfish. Flounnder. I'm LITERALLY referring to things mako said 12 years ago. You seriously thing I just popped in here?

I mean, I'd say what I really want to say, but you'd just accuse me of "trolling" and "attacking" you again. All I'll say is you either can't put two and two together or you think it equals five. Man, VH was right about you not being the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Edited by banerules2012
JayC's inability to spellcheck is rubbing off on me.

7 minutes ago, banerules2012 said:

You need to look up the words "attack" and "troll" because I don't think they mean what you think they do. I got a little salty with Mako, fine, you got me. Then you go after me for the silliest nonsense then continue it with this trash? Please.

Did you even bother looking at my profile? It says TWO-THOUSAND AND ELEVEN!!! I've been a member for years. Look up username cjflan32. It was what I used to go under before one of your thug moderators stopped me from posting (I wasn't banned, my posts had to be reviewed) then (like everyone else) left.

I used to roll with ViperHunter. Wiseman. Wheeljack. YoJoeBro. SuperPowers1980. h3llfish. Flounnder. I'm LITERALLY referring to things mako said 12 years ago. You seriously thing I just popped in here?

I mean, I'd said what I really want to say, but you'd just accuse me of "trolling" and "attacking" you again. All I'll say is you either can't put two and two together or you think it equals five. Man, VH was right about you not being the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Ok well like I say you seem to dislike it here so your welcome to leave as I said before. If you choose to stay and continue the discussion at hand then you will need to do so while being respectful to other board members which includes not telling people to be quit when you disagree with them., This topic will no longer be hijacked by you or anyone else. . If you have any other questions or concerns you can hit me up via PM but any other off topic comments here will be deleted.

Sure, whatever.

It'll be interesting to see how, if at all, this development affects McFarlane's DC license. Will he increase his scope to include more characters? Does DCCs passing remove any restrictions he may have been operating under? Will At&T be shopping around their "Master Toy License" again? Lot of questions.