NECA TMNT April O'Neil & Foot Soldier 2 Pack Review

Dan88w

"She's a little bit taller than [the Turtles], as she should be, so I think this scales out very nicely indeed."
<P>
. . . No, I'm sorry, this is the dumbest thing I've ever heard a toy reviewer say.
<P>
April is supposed to be a head taller than the the Turtles.  Like, almost a foot difference.  Irma is ROUGHLY the size of the Turtles, but April is a head taller than HER too.
<P>
April is supposed to be as tall as Shredder.  I had heard from a few sources that April was undersized and her head was too big.  They were right on the first part.  Her head is EXACTLY the size it should be . . . but the REST of her is a friggin' TEEN body.
<P>
Uh-uh.  There is ZERO truth to the scale statement.  NECA cocked it up HUGE.  WTF?!

Annotation 2020-08-02 022518.jpg

Annotation 2020-08-02 022744.jpg

april_and_irma_tmnt_belly_dancers_by_godzilla713_d77q8oj-fullview.jpg

da5tbxb-33e66bf7-bde2-4752-95e5-71af042d50b9.jpg

danykhw-80267af4-392c-441a-8675-aa51c0cc3841.jpg

lf.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Turtles%2C_Splinter%2C_April_%28ATAR%29.png

Scale isn't only problem with April, she look so far off from her cartoon design, as if she's based on some background drawn sketch art or something and not based on actual cartoon art, someone might argue it's style Neca decided to go by, I can get it, but figure still should look good and to me it surely doesn't, this head is at least 30 percent too big to that body and cartoon design. April is almost as Popular as Turtles themselves, she deserves better figure. 

43 minutes ago, SpiderS said:

Scale isn't only problem with April, she look so far off from her cartoon design, as if she's based on some background drawn sketch art or something and not based on actual cartoon art, someone might argue it's style Neca decided to go by, I can get it, but figure still should look good and to me it surely doesn't, this head is at least 30 percent too big to that body and cartoon design. April is almost as Popular as Turtles themselves, she deserves better figure. 

Uh . . . I mean, I'm looking at all the screenshots direct from the cartoon that I just posted, and . . . where are you seeing that this figure is off from her cartoon design?  The body is 100% accurate, as far as I can tell, just too small.  And the head is exactly the right size, and the design is . . . eh, at leas 85% close enough to cartoon accurate. (It can often be very hard to turn a 2-D art style into properly proportioned 3-D, but I think they did a mostly fine job).
<P>
Yeah, I'm not seeing any actual design inaccuracies here, man.  Just a major size problem.  Increase her body scale by about 15% and her head should fit just fine and she'd be just about perfect.  But . . . yeah, I will readily agree, she just falls short (pun intended), and she deserves better.

I think her sculpt is pretty good but it could be better. Definitively the scale is a big issue for but I agree with Batman1701, the head side is fine but the body is tiny :(

Her head is not bad but it needs more work in the jaw line and nose/lips area, I made a custom April that is more in-scale with more detailed hair.

ap-02.jpg
ap-04.jpg

1 hour ago, zelu1984 said:

I think her sculpt is pretty good but it could be better. Definitively the scale is a big issue for but I agree with Batman1701, the head side is fine but the body is tiny :(

Her head is not bad but it needs more work in the jaw line and nose/lips area, I made a custom April that is more in-scale with more detailed hair.

ap-02.jpg
ap-04.jpg

That’s awesome. Much more in scale. Do you have a picture of the back of her?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, zelu1984 said:

ap-02.jpg

Oh, hey Zelu!  Love the latest April!  Did you post this on Figure Realm?  Didn't see it there.  What is this, your fourth version of her now? :D  Pretty awesome!
<P>
I dunno if you remember my version, but for reference:

100472-1-5cac66b9a3683.jpg

100472-2-5cac66c398ccd.jpg

100472-3-5cac66cbbee4a.jpg

100472-5-5cac6779d67c5.jpg

100472-6-5cac67b115a14.jpg

10 hours ago, MutantEquality said:

FCD7D9AC-D6D8-4E6F-901B-7F5A3D7DD194.jpeg

Okay, I see what some people's nitpicks about her head sculpt are.  She should have a slightly pointed chin and angled jawline.  That's fair.  I still think the current head is still close enough to be acceptable, but I can see how some might disagree.
<P>
But seriously . . . if NECA got her proportions right the first time, WHY did they make her smaller?!  I mean, I remember thinking her head was oversized in the ToyFair photos too, so I'm not sure why it changed from NYCC'19 to NYTF'20. 😕 But still, hard to argue, they DID have her correct, and they screwed it up somehow!  It's just . . .WEIRD, man!
<P>
I will say, I'm pretty sure that's the EXACT same headsculpt from NYCC'19 to now.  I think the PAINT JOB is what makes it worse on the release figure (her mouth is painted shorter and with a slightly heavier curve than the sculpt, her eyes have thicker lashes and are pointed upwards, and the whole thing is painted gloss when it should be flat), but I'm almost certain it's still the same head, and could look better with some minor adjustments.  Doesn't fix the body, though.

2 hours ago, Batman1701 said:

Okay, I see what some people's nitpicks about her head sculpt are.  She should have a slightly pointed chin and angled jawline.  That's fair.  I still think the current head is still close enough to be acceptable, but I can see how some might disagree.
<P>
But seriously . . . if NECA got her proportions right the first time, WHY did they make her smaller?!  I mean, I remember thinking her head was oversized in the ToyFair photos too, so I'm not sure why it changed from NYCC'19 to NYTF'20. 😕 But still, hard to argue, they DID have her correct, and they screwed it up somehow!  It's just . . .WEIRD, man!
<P>
I will say, I'm pretty sure that's the EXACT same headsculpt from NYCC'19 to now.  I think the PAINT JOB is what makes it worse on the release figure (her mouth is painted shorter and with a slightly heavier curve than the sculpt, her eyes have thicker lashes and are pointed upwards, and the whole thing is painted gloss when it should be flat), but I'm almost certain it's still the same head, and could look better with some minor adjustments.  Doesn't fix the body, though.

Years ago, when Mattel made their first Sinestro for DC Universe Classics, Scott Neitlich responded to fan complaints about the figure's height by going on message boards and insisting that Sinestro was the right height, that he was drawn shorter than Hal in certain art, blah blah blah.  Eventually, he capitulated and admitted that a mistake was made at the factory.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Batman1701 said:

Oh, hey Zelu!  Love the latest April!  Did you post this on Figure Realm?  Didn't see it there.  What is this, your fourth version of her now? :D  Pretty awesome!
<P>
I dunno if you remember my version, but for reference:

100472-1-5cac66b9a3683.jpg

100472-2-5cac66c398ccd.jpg

100472-3-5cac66cbbee4a.jpg

100472-5-5cac6779d67c5.jpg

100472-6-5cac67b115a14.jpg

Hello! Yes, I do remember your April and few other awesome TMNT Turtles characters! :D Yes, that's technically my 4th April custom but this one is not finished. For now she is using the body from the ver.3 ;) 

I just posted it on the Figurerealm few days ago, and I also made the Cat woman from Channel 6 alternative parts ;) 

Both heads were sculpted from scratch :P

April-02.jpg
sculpt.jpg
can i download my own photos from instagram

• Like 1

On 8/2/2020 at 8:27 PM, zelu1984 said:

ap-02.jpg
ap-04.jpg

Damn this looks sooooooooo amazing, this is the figure I wanted from Neca.

• 4 months later...

WARNING DO NOT BUY FROM MEGAPOLIS TOYS YOU WILL NOT GET YOUR MERCHANDISE AND THEY WILL DRAG OUT YOUR REFUND FOR MONTHS. I HAVE THREE DIFFERENT PURCHASES MADE WAY BACK IN OCTOBER OF WHICH I HAVE RECEIVED NONE. I HAVE BEEN DEMANDING A REFUND FOR MONTHS AND STILL HAVE GOTTEN NOTHING BUT EMPTY PROMISES. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED SHOP ELSEWHERE!!!!!