Javicia Leslie Is The New 'Batwoman'

Outsiders

· Warner Bros. Television, The CW and Berlanti Productions announced today that Javicia Leslie has been cast as the new Batwoman.

· Javicia will make her debut in the iconic cape and cowl when "Batwoman" returns to The CW for its second season in January 2021, airing Sundays at 8:00-9:00 pm ET/PT.

· With her casting, Javicia becomes the first Black actress to portray Batwoman in a live-action television or film production.

· Javicia Leslie said: "I am extremely proud to be the first Black actress to play the iconic role of Batwoman on television, and as a bisexual woman, I am honored to join this groundbreaking show which has been such a trailblazer for the LGBTQ+ community."

· Character description: Ryan Wilder is about to become Batwoman. She's likable, messy, a little goofy and untamed. She's also nothing like Kate Kane, the woman who wore the Batsuit before her. With no one in her life to keep her on track, Ryan spent years as a drug-runner, dodging the GCPD and masking her pain with bad habits. Today Ryan lives in her van with her plant. A girl who would steal milk for an alley cat and could also kill you with her bare hands, Ryan is the most dangerous type of fighter: highly skilled and wildly undisciplined. An out lesbian. Athletic. Raw. Passionate. Fallible. And very much not your stereotypical all-American hero.

· Prior to joining "Batwoman," Javicia starred for two seasons on the CBS/Warner Bros. Television drama series "God Friended Me" and the BET drama "The Family Business," as well as the feature film "Always a Bridesmaid."

· "Batwoman" is produced by Berlanti Productions in association with Warner Bros. Television. Caroline Dries developed the series and served as executive producer for season one with Greg Berlanti, Sarah Schechter and Geoff Johns. "Batwoman" is based on characters created for DC by Bob Kane with Bill Finger.

Javicia_Lesle.jpg

I had to google to find out who she is & i realized she was the lead in the netflix movie 'always a bridesmaid' i watched a few months ago. She was pretty good in it so hopefully she can do batwoman justice

2 hours ago, Outsiders said:

Ryan Wilder is about to become Batwoman. She's likable, messy, a little goofy and untamed. She's also nothing like Kate Kane, the woman who wore the Batsuit before her. With no one in her life to keep her on track, Ryan spent years as a drug-runner, dodging the GCPD and masking her pain with bad habits. Today Ryan lives in her van with her plant. A girl who would steal milk for an alley cat and could also kill you with her bare hands, Ryan is the most dangerous type of fighter: highly skilled and wildly undisciplined. An out lesbian. Athletic. Raw. Passionate. Fallible. And very much not your stereotypical all-American hero.

Does Berlanti genuinely think these words sound interesting when put together like this?

• Like 2

The show was awful from what I saw, now they need to change the character to "save" it? this seems bad, Warner Bros makes basura live action DC shows In my opinion, I can't do it

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Lord_Scareglow said:

The show was awful from what I saw, now they need to change the character to "save" it? this seems bad, Warner Bros makes basura live action DC shows In my opinion, I can't do it

Ruby Rose, the main actress was fired ("mutual" my ass).  They pretty much only had the following options: 1. Recast Kate Kane 2. Recast and replace Kate Kane with a new character. 3. Reboot the show (with either a new Kate or a new character) 4. End the whole stupid show. 
I would have voted for option 4, but I'm not a television executive.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Satam said:

Ruby Rose, the main actress was fired ("mutual" my ass).  They pretty much only had the following options: 1. Recast Kate Kane 2. Recast and replace Kate Kane with a new character. 3. Reboot the show (with either a new Kate or a new character) 4. End the whole stupid show. 
I would have voted for option 4, but I'm not a television executive.

yeah seriously option 4 sounds like a quality move, but maybe I'm wrong, I havn't heard about any one who likes this show, my girlfriend who actually watches a lot of these DC shows doesn't even watch it

there are so many of these bad DC live action shows I can't keep track myself, they butcher timelines and back stories, it'a all a big flim flam mess that's just how I see it, DC can do Animated , they should stay in that lane, they are not Marvel, they need to stop trying

I don't see the Arrowverse shows lasting much longer. Just reading the news coming out of the productions, it's obvious they're collapsing under the wait of their own agendas. Sure, the CW will try and carry them for a bit, like Fox carries the Simpsons, but that won't last. The second a suitably hip show with a suitably pretty young cast comes along . . . BOOM! They're outta there.

So I say let Berlanti play those SJW cards. Like any other house of cards, the higher you try and build it, the faster it falls.

I could really care less who plays her. The season 1 story was just boring and and I really have lost interest in the whole Arrowverse. I held through Infinite Crisis hoping that would get things going, but sadly it just seemed to make things worse. Supergirl was ok and Black Lightning was the strongest show of the bunch this season IMO but I just found myself less and less motivated to tune in each week overall. Flash was even worse than Batwoman. I haven't finished watching all the episodes from this season for any of em and honestly dont know if I will or bother with next season assuming they are able to actually film the next season.

23 minutes ago, JayC said:

I could really care less who plays her. The season 1 story was just boring and and I really have lost interest in the whole Arrowverse. I held through Infinite Crisis hoping that would get things going, but sadly it just seemed to make things worse. Supergirl was ok and Black Lightning was the strongest show of the bunch this season IMO but I just found myself less and less motivated to tune in each week overall. Flash was even worse than Batwoman. I haven't finished watching all the episodes from this season for any of em and honestly dont know if I will or bother with next season assuming they are able to actually film the next season.

I feel more or less the same way. Basically, the only reason I watched any of it was in anticipation of the Crisis. I have however gotten into Stargirl. Assuming they don't find a way to muck it up, I could really see myself staying with it.

Here's hoping.

1 hour ago, mako said:

I feel more or less the same way. Basically, the only reason I watched any of it was in anticipation of the Crisis. I have however gotten into Stargirl. Assuming they don't find a way to muck it up, I could really see myself staying with it.

Here's hoping.

Honestly I feel sorry for this young lady. I don't know much about her, but she seems like a fairly good actress and person. Wonder if she fully understands what a dumpster fire she's walking into.

As for the Arrowverse; IMO its on its last legs. Flash is unwatchable these days and Supergirl is only somewhat better. Never really gotten into Black Lightning.

Having said that; I agree with Mako about Stargirl. I've enjoyed the show so far and find the use of the Justice Society as a breathe of fresh air. Something different and imaginative. Crossing my fingers that they don't ruin it like they did Flash and Supergirl.

• Like 1

Personally, I wish they had recast the character. Kate had actually ties to the Wayne name. as well as her father working for the Crows, I guess they'll retcon this left field character into the storyline?

Besides Crisis, I also lost focus on this season of the Arroverse

Even with the shortened season,, Flash's 'mrrror-world seemed to drag a bit,  and  I can't even remember what happened with Supergirl, Black Lightning,, or Legends. lol. Stargirl has been a nice surprise. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, lazrod said:

Having said that; I agree with Mako about Stargirl. I've enjoyed the show so far and find the use of the Justice Society as a breathe of fresh air. Something different and imaginative. Crossing my fingers that they don't ruin it like they did Flash and Supergirl.

Given Stargirl's personal connection to Geoff Johns, I like to think he'd go to the wire to keep her show from being fed to the Berlanti machine. Plus, the man's picked up quite a bit of fan AND Hollywood street-cred, so he could probably leverage that to get his way.

In any case, if it can hold on to its identity, I'm kinda hoping Stargirl will be a sign of things to come.

• Like 2

I never caught this show as nothing about it really apealed to me. I dropped the Arrowverse like 2 seasons ago and never looked back. I think WB/CW should have just cancelled the whole thing and refocus their effort on the other series. 

1 hour ago, mako said:

Given Stargirl's personal connection to Geoff Johns, I like to think he'd go to the wire to keep her show from being fed to the Berlanti machine. Plus, the man's picked up quite a bit of fan AND Hollywood street-cred, so he could probably leverage that to get his way.

In any case, if it can hold on to its identity, I'm kinda hoping Stargirl will be a sign of things to come.

Don't forget he used to be the president of DC Entertainment.  Berlanti used to answer to him.

Kind of similar statement that Belmont13 said, I stopped watching these DC WB shows a long time ago. Something about them just got stale and boring. I enjoyed Arrow for like 2-3 seasons, Flash for like 1-2, Black Lightning was pretty ok for the first season and then something happened in season 2 that I just got bored with and Legends was pretty rough from the start but ok for the first season then I just left. I had very little interest in Batwoman as its not really my thing and by the time it came out, I was already pretty bored with the universe so I didnt care to watch. Stargirl I have a bit of curiosity to watch but with the WB DC show fatigue, i m of course hesitant. 

On 7/10/2020 at 4:33 PM, EvilHayato said:

Kind of similar statement that Belmont13 said, I stopped watching these DC WB shows a long time ago. Something about them just got stale and boring. I enjoyed Arrow for like 2-3 seasons, Flash for like 1-2, Black Lightning was pretty ok for the first season and then something happened in season 2 that I just got bored with and Legends was pretty rough from the start but ok for the first season then I just left. I had very little interest in Batwoman as its not really my thing and by the time it came out, I was already pretty bored with the universe so I didnt care to watch. Stargirl I have a bit of curiosity to watch but with the WB DC show fatigue, i m of course hesitant. 

Give it a look.  Stargirl is more than half a season in and nobody's taken off his shirt to show off his abs yet, and it's pretty low on the melodrama.  There's been a little, of course, but most of it's been handled with more nuance than I ever saw from Berlanti.  And considering the main character is a teenage girl, that feels like quite the feat.  It's very different from the other CW shows.

22 hours ago, Satam said:

Give it a look.  Stargirl is more than half a season in and nobody's taken off his shirt to show off his abs yet, and it's pretty low on the melodrama.  There's been a little, of course, but most of it's been handled with more nuance than I ever saw from Berlanti.  And considering the main character is a teenage girl, that feels like quite the feat.  It's very different from the other CW shows.

But do they train on salamander ladders?