DC Multiverse White Knight Action Figures Review

dccollector

Not bad looking figures TBH, but since McFarlane supposedly owns the master license for ALL of DC, is there ever any intention to do any non-Batman related material? I mean, between the first two waves and the upcoming Metal wave it looks like McFarlane has a one track mind, which is no surprise because he just seems to do whatever the hell wants to do anyway, with zero to little regard to what fans actually want, but you would think DC itself might find it necessary to eventually intervene and get some product for some of their other IP's into production. As I recall, there are some fairly prominent stories involving Superman, Green Lantern, The Flash and Wonder Woman that have a pretty impressive roster or characters to pull from. Just saying.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, 41055_1529445590 said:

Not bad looking figures TBH, but since McFarlane supposedly owns the master license for ALL of DC, is there ever any intention to do any non-Batman related material? I mean, between the first two waves and the upcoming Metal wave it looks like McFarlane has a one track mind, which is no surprise because he just seems to do whatever the hell wants to do anyway, with zero to little regard to what fans actually want, but you would think DC itself might find it necessary to eventually intervene and get some product for some of their other IP's into production. As I recall, there are some fairly prominent stories involving Superman, Green Lantern, The Flash and Wonder Woman that have a pretty impressive roster or characters to pull from. Just saying.

You know, this topic, the volume of "Batman" in toy lines vs. the depth of the DCU, comes up often over the years (and rightly so),.....and while it's not necessarily always true, the Justice League Unlimited line really dove deep into character offering............ but I'd love to know if someone like McFarlane has actual research or Market data that justifies Batman sales. And even then, to see if it's a reaction to what the market demand vs. the availability of product......... For example, did the Arrow figure in McFarlane's line sell well enough to generate other DCTV characters being produced? I wish this sort of data was more readily available, I think a lot of us collectors would find it fascinating to learn from.

On 7/6/2020 at 10:49 AM, AdamM said:

You know, this topic, the volume of "Batman" in toy lines vs. the depth of the DCU, comes up often over the years (and rightly so),.....and while it's not necessarily always true, the Justice League Unlimited line really dove deep into character offering............ but I'd love to know if someone like McFarlane has actual research or Market data that justifies Batman sales. And even then, to see if it's a reaction to what the market demand vs. the availability of product......... For example, did the Arrow figure in McFarlane's line sell well enough to generate other DCTV characters being produced? I wish this sort of data was more readily available, I think a lot of us collectors would find it fascinating to learn from.

I know there's a sister sight where we get to polish Hasbro's knob for the Marvel Legends line, but I'm gonna invoke it here. If you want any data that a cross comic/TV/movie/and now video games format works, one need only look towards the ML game plan. It's all a matter of personal opinion about the quality and desirability of the figures themselves, but I think that it's shown that a healthy smattering of cinematic and comic figures within all waves (and of course, a BAF) has pretty much set the bar for what it takes for a line to be successful. There's stuff some people love and some people hate in every wave, but rarely is a wave constrained to such a tight criteria as the McFarlane waves have been to this point. It just bothers me as a whole that McFarlane preached the fans, fans, fans will determine what he will do with the line, yet it seems nothing he's done to this point reflects what the fans want. I know diehard DC fans say they're happy with the 7" scale, but in truth, most people wanted them to be comparable to ML so the two companies could finally duke it out with figures or the same quality, scale and functionality. Yet, he stuck with his newly found comfort zone in 7". Secondly, a large number of fans wanted to continue some kind of BAF or CnC format which basically rewarded fans with an extra figure for purchasing all figures in a line. If you didn't need it you didn't have to get it. He got rid of it, but now there are rumors it's coming back. Lastly, and most importantly, who realistically actually believes fans really wanted 3 (soon to be 4) Batman-specific waves for the first year's outing of his DC Multiverse line? Sure some fans are okay with it, and maybe some fans learned to deal with it, and maybe even a few fans enjoy them, they do all look good to be fair, but to convince me 4 Batman lines are what people wanted is beyond impossibility.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I know that there is more Batman and Batman related characters in this line from McFarlane than anything else but I will say I personally don't mind as long as the rest of the DCU gets attention eventually...

Now as far as the review of this Whiteknight/Curse of the Whiteknight wave I'm thoughly impressed with the Azrael figure, he is the winner of this wave. The details and build are just great, in hand he feels very sold, good joints, can stand no problem. He is visually pleasing, standout figure for sure and one of the best of the year so far for me. 

The Batman here is nice, the best McFarlane Batman yet. Looks imposing and I just love the artistic look on him. The Joker here is just ok. May or may not pick him up. This wave has got me interested in the story arks these figures are based, will be getting the books for sure.

16 hours ago, 41055_1529445590 said:

I know there's a sister sight where we get to polish Hasbro's knob for the Marvel Legends line, but I'm gonna invoke it here. If you want any data that a cross comic/TV/movie/and now video games format works, one need only look towards the ML game plan. It's all a matter of personal opinion about the quality and desirability of the figures themselves, but I think that it's shown that a healthy smattering of cinematic and comic figures within all waves (and of course, a BAF) has pretty much set the bar for what it takes for a line to be successful. There's stuff some people love and some people hate in every wave, but rarely is a wave constrained to such a tight criteria as the McFarlane waves have been to this point. It just bothers me as a whole that McFarlane preached the fans, fans, fans will determine what he will do with the line, yet it seems nothing he's done to this point reflects what the fans want. I know diehard DC fans say they're happy with the 7" scale, but in truth, most people wanted them to be comparable to ML so the two companies could finally duke it out with figures or the same quality, scale and functionality. Yet, he stuck with his newly found comfort zone in 7". Secondly, a large number of fans wanted to continue some kind of BAF or CnC format which basically rewarded fans with an extra figure for purchasing all figures in a line. If you didn't need it you didn't have to get it. He got rid of it, but now there are rumors it's coming back. Lastly, and most importantly, who realistically actually believes fans really wanted 3 (soon to be 4) Batman-specific waves for the first year's outing of his DC Multiverse line? Sure some fans are okay with it, and maybe some fans learned to deal with it, and maybe even a few fans enjoy them, they do all look good to be fair, but to convince me 4 Batman lines are what people wanted is beyond impossibility.

You make some great points here on the downsides to McFarlane's line... 'especially the BAF issue and how it benefits collectors while he's fumbled around it since Day 1....., so to see ANOTHER Batman line, but nothing for say, DCeased??? (isn't that storyline begging for quality figures?).......  I am highly skeptical that was a purely fan research-driven move on his part. I'm much more in favor of ML and how they can deliver numerous Iron Man / X-men figures, but at the same time, I have a Night Thrasher on my shelf. That's highly commendable balance to their offering roadmap. 

• Like 2