Michael Keaton In Talks To Play Batman For The Upcoming Flash Movie?!?

JayC

We will put this one in the I will belive it when I see it category, but TheWrap is reporting that Michael Keaton has entered into early discussions with Warner Bros. to reprise his portrayal of Batman in the upcoming Flash movie. This is likely to be tied to some type of DC Multiverse Flashpoint like storyline rumored to be featured in the upcoming film that will star Ezra Miller as Barry Allen. The movie right now is looking for early 2021 release.

Keaton-Flash.jpg

• Like 1

Hmm, which is the more unlikely? Continuing the Justice League universe, luring Keaton back into the rubber suit, or writing, casting, filming, editing, and releasing a blockbuster movie in around six months?

This is crazy and I love it, it’s amazing opportunity for DCEU, Keaton was always positive about Batman role, I hope movie will delivery, however I am little sad he will apparently replace Thomas Wayne by Morgan, but Keaton’s Return is obviously better and more cooler choice

6 hours ago, mako said:

Hmm, which is the more unlikely? Continuing the Justice League universe, luring Keaton back into the rubber suit, or writing, casting, filming, editing, and releasing a blockbuster movie in around six months?

didn't anyone see CW Crisis?! The JL universe is gone!!!! LET IT BE GONE!!!!

Considering how bad (with the exception of Wonder Woman and Aquaman) DC movies have been, and the uproar of the alleged behavior of possible assault on Miller's part....PLUS the current zero-tolerance policy these studios and corporations have these days....I would really really doubt there's even going to BE a Flash movie, let alone somehow rope in aged Keaton to play a role. Unless there's further news I'd consider this fanboy manufactured rumor.

11 hours ago, Goldbug said:

didn't anyone see CW Crisis?! The JL universe is gone!!!! LET IT BE GONE!!!!

Except Cavill has just won back the hearts of the fan-boys and seems ready to cape up again, EVERBODY loves Gadot's Wonder Woman, and one more movie like the last and Momoa may just have people calling Aquaman cool.

I say take all that, forget the rest, throw in the new Batman (provided DC/Warner doesn't screw the pooch . . . again) and start a new DCEU from there. Don't worry about what's being done on TV, don't worry about what Marvel/Disney is doing, just make the best movies you can.

• 9 months later...
Back in June it was announced that Michael Keaton had entered talks with Warner Bros. to reprise his role as Batman for the upcoming Ezra Miller standalone Flash movie which was thought to be focusing on some type of multiverse type storyline.

Well in an interview with Keaton posted by Deadline yesterday, the actor casts some doubts about being able to find time for the role on top of concerns about working during the COVID pandemic.

That’s right. No, you know what it is? I am needing a minute to think about it because I’m so fortunate and blessed, I got so much going on now. I’m really into work right now. I don’t know why, but I am, and so, yeah, I mean, you know, to tell you the truth, somewhere on my iPad is an iteration of the whole Flash thing that I haven’t had time yet…I called them and said, I have to be honest with you. I can’t look at anything right now. I’m so deep into this thing I’m doing. Also, I’m prepping a thing I’m producing and getting ready to do down the road in the fall that I’ll be in, and I feel responsible to that. So, yeah, there is that. I’m not being cute or coy. If I talked about it, I’ll be just bullshitting you. I don’t really know. I have to look at the last draft. To be honest with you, you know what worries me more than anything about all this stuff?

He then goes on to talk about his fears with COVID.

It’s Covid. I’m more concerned. I keep my eye more on the Covid situation in the UK than anything. That will determine everything, and so that’s why I’m living outside the city here on 17 acres, staying away from everybody, because the Covid thing has got me really concerned. So, that’s my first thing about all projects. I look at it and go, is this thing going to kill me, literally? And you know, if it doesn’t, then we talk.

It's hard to tell if this is the actors way of playing hardball with the studio for money or what. Perhaps in his Michael Keaton way he is just being coy with the interviewer, but the way he sounds certainly doesn't come off as being to thrilled with the idea of returning to the world of DC Comics.

This of course comes as fan unhappiness towards Warner Bros. begins to surge again online for the revelation that Warner Bros. won't be green lighting anymore Zack Snyder DC based movies. This is based on an interview posted yesterday with WarnerMedia’s Ann Sarnoff..

3 hours ago, JayC said:
It's hard to tell if this is the actors way of playing hardball with the studio for money or what. 

Seems more like that, especially after reports that WB wanted him to be Nick Fury type figure, but they can still use Morgan and do classic Flashpoint if they want it. 

I don't think he's being coy or holding out for a bigger paycheck. I've been a Keaton fan since he was still doing TV (remember "Working Stiffs?), and he's never been one to let the almighty dollar make his decisions for him. Heck, he left a fortune behind bowing out of Batman once already. If the man's not 100 % behind a project, he won't do it.

As for fan displeasure at no more Snyder movies? I remember after MOS, when people were demanding Snyder never be allowed anywhere near Superman again.

I suspect certain "writers" are stretching the truth a little.

3 hours ago, mako said:

As for fan displeasure at no more Snyder movies? I remember after MOS, when people were demanding Snyder never be allowed anywhere near Superman again.

I was one of those people. Still am.

And I hope Keaton is involved with the Flash movie. But if the script sucks, if he doesn't get the right vibe from the director, if the movie sucks, I hope he stays away from it.

13 hours ago, Satam said:

And I hope Keaton is involved with the Flash movie. But if the script sucks, if he doesn't get the right vibe from the director, if the movie sucks, I hope he stays away from it.

Honestly, I'm a lot more jazzed about the project he mentioned producing AND starring in.

• Like 1