Which Classic Spawn Series 1 Action Figure Should Get The Kickstarter Modern Treatment Next?

JayC

If you are a fan of Todd McFarlane's Spawn character, then you probably know about the recent Kickstarter he held for a new 7" Remastered Original Spawn action figure based on the original 5" one released back in 1995.

Spawn-Remastered-Kickstarter-01__scaled_600.jpg

The Kickstater which had an original funding goal of $100,000 ended up with 23,761 backers and a total pledged amount of $3,447,390. All-in-all a fairly huge success for the comic book artist.

Of course that first Spawn figure wasn't the only one released back in 1995. It was one of 6 figures released in the first wave that Todd used to help launch his toy company

McFarlane Toys.

When Todd first announced the plans for his Kickstarter during Toy Fair in February, he said that if it was successful he would look to do something similar for the other 5 figures from that first 1995 wave. Besides the original Spawn figure the wave also included figures of Violator, Overtkill, Tremor, Clown and Medieval Spawn.

Since it seems pretty clear the first Kickstarter was a success, I can only assume that another one for another wave 1 figure will eventually be launched. However which figure will get the modern treatment remains unkown. I've decided to rank the remaining 5 figures from that first 1995 wave in order of least to most I would like see get the modern figure treatment. Of course feel free to leave your own thoughts in the COMMENT SECTION of which figure you want to see next.

5) Medieval Spawn
06__scaled_600.jpg

Being we just got a Spawn figure, I would rather see this variant version of the lead character held back for a later release. It's a cool looking figure, but probably my least favorite of the original 6.

4) Tremor
04__scaled_600.jpg

Only being a casual Spawn fan, I would say Tremor is probably the least known character to me from series 1. Despite looking cool, that lack of familiarity has me putting him at number 4.

3) Violator
02__scaled_600.jpg

I almost feel like Violator and Clown should be released as a two-pack, but if I had to pick one over the other, I would rather see the Clown version done as a modern figure before Violator.

2) Clown
05__scaled_600.jpg

Being Spawn's most notable nemesis, I can see Clown coming in at number 1 for a lot of people. I definitely would love to see a highly detailed and fairly well articulated 7" Clown figure produced by McFarlane, but from a personal standpoint he is not my favorite character. Because of that I have Clown coming in at number 2.

1) Overtkill
03__scaled_600.jpg

My number 1 pick, and my favorite character from the first wave of 1995 Spawn figures is Overtkill, or as I know him better as, Over Kill. You see my first exposure for this guy doesn't actually come from the Spawn comic books, it comes from an old VHS video series called "The Comic Book Greats". As a kid I always wanted to draw, unfortunately I was never really talented enough to do it well. Still I enjoyed watching tutorials from great comic book artists. Back in 1991 the great Stan Lee launched a new series on VHS called "The Comic Book Greats" where he would interview well known artists and writers of the time. The first episode featured Todd McFarlane who of course had become an artist sensation at Marvel. During that episode the two sat down and mapped out from scratch the creation of a brand new never-before-seen character they called Over Kill. I still have that VHS tape somewhere. Later on Todd would rename that character Overtkill and insert him into his new Spawn universe at Image Comics. Because of that Stan Lee video series, Overtkill has always been a favorite of mine and I would love to see a modern articulated 7" figure of him created. If they do him I will definitely be buying one.

00.jpg

03.jpg

06.jpg

01.jpg

05.jpg

02.jpg

04.jpg

• Thanks 1

Medieval Spawn is the only one I'm interested in. Hopefully Todd doesnt go for kickstarter and just do a wide release. He can use the kickstarter numbers as a proof of fan interest and being them to the major retailers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would love updated versions of Violator and Tremor, I loved the classics as a kid. Really looking forward to seeing Malebolgia get the treatment as well.

• Thanks 1

I would love to see maybe a Medieval Spawn and definitely Violater as well, a couple 2 packs would be great. I hope McFarlane also does a Kickstarter or a web exclusive of some sort of DC and other licences.

• Thanks 1

I’m split between Medieval Spawn and the Clown Version of Violator

• Thanks 1

Violator and Tremor would be very fun. I still have my original violator, the first ever spawn figure I ever owned. Also would prefer non kickstarter and more so just put to retail directly. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Satam said:

I would also like to see Todd start with a figure sculpted in a neutral pose before articulation is cut.

THIS. What idiot thinks that cutting pre-posed is a good idea?! I know todd stated he wanted to make it "interesting" or some hubaloo but that is just being dumb. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I will get all of them with the exception of maybe Tremor. I'd say Medieval Spawn too, but I know as soon as it comes out Ill cave. I think I'd like a clown or Violator first though.

• Thanks 1

I want to say Medieval Spawn but I kinda rather they make an articulated Medieval Spawn in the style of the later figures (more detailed and darker more realistic costume/armor), so I think overall I would have to say probably Overkill would look nice as a figure but Id rather instead of doing more figures from this particular wave they just give the update treatment (fully articulated) to cool Spawn Designs of figures that have been made over the years like a Commando Spawn, a Wings of Redemption Spawn, the previously Mentioned Medieval Spawn, Raven Spawn.

On 5/17/2020 at 12:19 PM, MRT said:

Medieval Spawn is the only one I'm interested in. Hopefully Todd doesnt go for kickstarter and just do a wide release. He can use the kickstarter numbers as a proof of fan interest and being them to the major retailers.

At least based on what he said at toy fair, the plan was to do each one as a Kickstarter assuming the first was successful.

22 hours ago, EvilHayato said:

THIS. What idiot thinks that cutting pre-posed is a good idea?! I know todd stated he wanted to make it "interesting" or some hubaloo but that is just being dumb. 

This is just my own feeling, but at toy fair there seemed to be some confusion of how much articulation the figure would end up having. McFarlane Toys people were telling me that it would be almost as articulated as the MK11 Spawn, but then Todd himself seemed to indicate it would have much less. I have to wonder if when the figure was originally sculpted, it was done with the idea it would have minimal articulation and then someone finally convinced Todd it needed more.

Im surprised so many are wanting Medieval Spawn since we just got Spawn. I know he is the star but I would think people would want to see some variety of characters done before getting another version of Spawn himself.

On 5/19/2020 at 9:06 PM, JayC said:

Im surprised so many are wanting Medieval Spawn since we just got Spawn. I know he is the star but I would think people would want to see some variety of characters done before getting another version of Spawn himself.

I'm not really a fan of "monsters" but I do really dig his variant spawn designs. I thought Gunslinger and Pirate spawn were cool and would love hyper articulated versions.

On 5/19/2020 at 9:00 PM, JayC said:

At least based on what he said at toy fair, the plan was to do each one as a Kickstarter assuming the first was successful.

That's a shame. Its too pricey for me so might not be able to collect them.

14 hours ago, MRT said:

That's a shame. Its too pricey for me so might not be able to collect them.

It really is pricey.  I agree.  Its smart on his end because he gets the people who are willing to pay whatever it is they are willing to pay, but I wish it was much simpler.