CBS All Access Announces Series Order For 'Star Trek: Strange New Worlds,' Based On The U.S.S. Enterprise And Its Crew

Outsiders

CBS All Access today announced a series order for STAR TREK: STRANGE NEW WORLDS, based on the years Captain Christopher Pike manned the helm of the U.S.S. Enterprise. The series will feature fan favorites from season two of STAR TREK: DISCOVERY, Anson Mount as Captain Christopher Pike, Rebecca Romijn as Number One and Ethan Peck as Science Officer Spock. The series will follow Captain Pike, Science Officer Spock and Number One in the decade before Captain Kirk boarded the U.S.S. Enterprise, as they explore new worlds around the galaxy.

The series premiere was written by Akiva Goldsman with the story by Akiva Goldsman, Alex Kurtzman and Jenny Lumet. Goldsman, Kurtzman and Lumet will serve as executive producers in addition to Henry Alonso Myers, Heather Kadin, Rod Roddenberry and Trevor Roth. Aaron Baiers, Akela Cooper and Davy Perez will serve as co-executive producers. Akiva Goldsman will remain an executive producer and a key part of the creative team on STAR TREK: PICARD as well. The series will be produced by CBS Television Studios, Secret Hideout and Roddenberry Entertainment.

"Fans fell in love with Anson Mount, Rebecca Romijn and Ethan Peck's portrayals of these iconic characters when they were first introduced on STAR TREK: DISCOVERY last season," said Julie McNamara, Executive Vice President and Head of Programming, CBS All Access. "This new series will be a perfect complement to the franchise, bringing a whole new perspective and series of adventures to 'Star Trek.'"

"When we said we heard the fans' outpouring of love for Pike, Number One and Spock when they boarded STAR TREK: DISCOVERY last season, we meant it," said Alex Kurtzman. "These iconic characters have a deep history in 'Star Trek' canon, yet so much of their stories have yet to be told. With Akiva and Henry at the helm, the Enterprise, its crew and its fans are in for an extraordinary journey to new frontiers in the 'Star Trek' universe."

"This is a dream come true, literally," said Akiva Goldsman. "I have imagined myself on the bridge of the Enterprise since the early 1970s. I'm honored to be a part of this continuing journey along with Alex, Henry and the fine folks at CBS."

STAR TREK: STRANGE NEW WORLDS is the latest addition to the expanding "Star Trek" franchise on CBS All Access, which includes hit original series STAR TREK: PICARD; STAR TREK: DISCOVERY, returning with season three later this year; the service's upcoming first animated series, STAR TREK: LOWER DECKS, developed by Emmy Award winner Mike McMahan ("Rick and Morty"); and the development of a Section 31-based series with Michelle Yeoh. A CG-animated "Star Trek" series aimed at younger audiences is also in the works for Nickelodeon. The series is distributed worldwide by ViacomCBS Global Distribution Group.

Star_Trek_Strange_New_Worlds.jpg

1 hour ago, Satam said:

Cool.  I guess deep down I wished that Goldsman and Kurtzman would be totally hands-off on this one, but unfortunately, that wouldn't have been realistic.

I wish I could be terrible at a job & people would just keep hiring me anyway too.

This will probably outshine Discovery

I wouldn't call myself a "Trekkie" but I do love Star Trek, and thought TOS and TNG were great. Most of the movies (except the 1st, 5th and on) were great too. The franchise was getting some wear by he end of TNG, and definitely Voyager was overall just blah (to me). I had high hopes for a prequel series, but Enterprise was disappointing. The series name was fine, but the ship was not- the ship from that era simply should not have looked like the NCC 1701. We had at this point already seen displays of ships called Enterprise leading up to NCC 1701 and that NX wasn't there. The Vulcans didn't seem like Vulcans, the technology that shouldn't have been there was, just given different names ("hull plating" instead of "shields"), and overall it was just a lot of missed opportunities to show how the Federation and Starfleet got its start. Don't get me started on things like the Xindi invasion which of course was explained by a "temporal" issue....aggh.

But as bad as Enterprise was, Discovery has been worse. its crapped all over canon so much that I cant stomach watching it. Every time I try I have to turn it off. Because above all, these shows are supposed to Entertain. Yeah, Klingons looked different in the movies and later shows than they did in TOS. We got a good explanation for that (one of the few things Enterprise got right) but nothing to explain how Spock had a foster human sister all this time he never mentioned. And of all things, we're to believe SAREK raised her?? I like Sonequa and was glad to see her back on the air after the Walking Dead, but this is beyond stupid.

As said, I couldn't watch STD anymore, so I know Capt Pike and the real (well, real revamped?) Enterprise shows up, but that's it. I hope this series will wash away the bad taste of STD.

Ugh. Phrasing.

I liked Pike and Spock from Discovery season 2 but my fear every time they do these prequel shows is they will start screwing up continuity which they have done every time. I was so glad when they essentially moved Discovery into the distant future. On the bright side I have heard this series won’t be as dark as Discovery and they will be making it more episodic which I think works better for Trek, but we will have to see.

8 hours ago, Atlantis said:

I wouldn't call myself a "Trekkie" but I do love Star Trek, and thought TOS and TNG were great. Most of the movies (except the 1st, 5th and on) were great too. The franchise was getting some wear by he end of TNG, and definitely Voyager was overall just blah (to me). I had high hopes for a prequel series, but Enterprise was disappointing. The series name was fine, but the ship was not- the ship from that era simply should not have looked like the NCC 1701. We had at this point already seen displays of ships called Enterprise leading up to NCC 1701 and that NX wasn't there. The Vulcans didn't seem like Vulcans, the technology that shouldn't have been there was, just given different names ("hull plating" instead of "shields"), and overall it was just a lot of missed opportunities to show how the Federation and Starfleet got its start. Don't get me started on things like the Xindi invasion which of course was explained by a "temporal" issue....aggh.

But as bad as Enterprise was, Discovery has been worse. its crapped all over canon so much that I cant stomach watching it. Every time I try I have to turn it off. Because above all, these shows are supposed to Entertain. Yeah, Klingons looked different in the movies and later shows than they did in TOS. We got a good explanation for that (one of the few things Enterprise got right) but nothing to explain how Spock had a foster human sister all this time he never mentioned. And of all things, we're to believe SAREK raised her?? I like Sonequa and was glad to see her back on the air after the Walking Dead, but this is beyond stupid.

As said, I couldn't watch STD anymore, so I know Capt Pike and the real (well, real revamped?) Enterprise shows up, but that's it. I hope this series will wash away the bad taste of STD.

Ugh. Phrasing.

You didn't even mention Deep Space Nine.  Have you seen it? It's really an outstanding show.  It's got a lot of the darkness and serialized story telling of the newer stuff, but it's better written and better acted.  TNG, btw, suffered some in the last season because a couple writers went over to work on DS9.  Like TNG before it, DS9 takes a bit to find its footing, but it does it much faster, and finishes the first season very strong and doesn't really let up from there.  There are a few low points in the second season, but it's much stronger than most of the first, and by the third season, it's solidly the best Trek out there.  Taking advantage of the station setting, the writers show that actions have consequences (sometimes far down the line) that you don't get to see when a ship just goes to a different planet every week (they do get a ship, but it's not for exploration), and it also demonstrates that the ideals and principals of the Federation (and Star Trek) require effort to maintain.  There are a lot of shades of gray on Deep Space Nine, and the story telling often has a lot of nuance, which is a word I don't think somebody like Alex Kurtzman has ever heard.  The show also has the most developed, three-dimensional characters of any Trek series.  Even recurring characters have arcs.

I have to agree with Atlantis, TNG was great along side with DS9. Voyager and Enterprise are not even worth mentioning, my problem with the CBS all access revival of this franchise is they are focusing on all the wrong things! They are not following the template left by Roddenberry, these new shows are all about gimmicks and effects with complete disregard for story telling which is the core of StarTrek. Voyager Discovery...... excuse me Star Trek Discovery is the equivalent of eating a meal with no seasoning, bland and boring. I really tried to enjoy Picard, but when you remove the gimmicks of cameo appearances from the TNG crew and of course 7 of 9, this show fell short of its mark for me. I was uninterested by the final two part finale and could care less to watch season 2.

Tos, TNG and Ds9 were great, Voyager  was meh, Enterprise was ok but got better dining the last season( I feel it never got.its chance to.shine) . I cannot get into these.new shows. There's the continuoty.issues, but there's also just something off about them. They just dont feel like star trek to me. Still I'm curious.to.see.what.happens with.this.series.

3 hours ago, Nosferatuman62172 said:

Tos, TNG and Ds9 were great, Voyager  was meh, Enterprise was ok but got better dining the last season( I feel it never got.its chance to.shine) . I cannot get into these.new shows. There's the continuoty.issues, but there's also just something off about them. They just dont feel like star trek to me. Still I'm curious.to.see.what.happens with.this.series.

There's a fundamental misunderstanding of Star Trek.  For example: Section 31 is a clandestine super-secret organization that exists both inside and outside Starfleet, so naturally the writers/producers gave them black starfleet badges, put that black logo on things, and had characters talk about it Section 31 openly.  Now it's getting a spinoff, because why have any mystery left in that mysterious organization?  And I don't want to spoil anything major in Picard (for those who haven't seen it), but I will say that the writers of that show frequently use "Starfleet" and "The Federation" interchangeably.  $&#@ like that.  There's also a tendency to do stuff because it's edgy or cool and not because it serves the story.  And some of the dialogue is so clunky it would make many of the season 1 TNG writers all blush. 

10 hours ago, Satam said:

You didn't even mention Deep Space Nine.  Have you seen it? It's really an outstanding show.  It's got a lot of the darkness and serialized story telling of the newer stuff, but it's better written and better acted.  TNG, btw, suffered some in the last season because a couple writers went over to work on DS9.  Like TNG before it, DS9 takes a bit to find its footing, but it does it much faster, and finishes the first season very strong and doesn't really let up from there.  There are a few low points in the second season, but it's much stronger than most of the first, and by the third season, it's solidly the best Trek out there.  Taking advantage of the station setting, the writers show that actions have consequences (sometimes far down the line) that you don't get to see when a ship just goes to a different planet every week (they do get a ship, but it's not for exploration), and it also demonstrates that the ideals and principals of the Federation (and Star Trek) require effort to maintain.  There are a lot of shades of gray on Deep Space Nine, and the story telling often has a lot of nuance, which is a word I don't think somebody like Alex Kurtzman has ever heard.  The show also has the most developed, three-dimensional characters of any Trek series.  Even recurring characters have arcs.

Frankly I ranted so long in my first post I cut some out. :D

Yes, I saw DS9, thought it was good. "Just because a group of people belong to the Federation it does not mean that they are saints." - Cmdr Sisko.

Of the post original series, I'd rank TNG and DS9, Voyager last. Voyager often put me to sleep.

I do think they missed some opportunities in DS9....why not really distinguish what a starbase can do that a starship cant? Why was the rank structure for a starbase command so often Commodore in the original series, but dropped to Commander by TNG?

Why were all the other leads on the shows have full Captain rank, but Sisko was a Commander?

If theyre gonna do a starbase, why not a Federation one instead of a Cardassian one? By the way I loved the design of Terok Nor. I know a lot of people hated it.

On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2020 at 10:51 AM, Nosferatuman62172 said:

I say this now, and not trying to be a d1ck about it, but seriously, the writers for STD and upcoming Pike show really need to watch Better Call Saul and take notes on how to write a prequel.

I don't want to hear about how they "cant follow continuity" because,  whatever. They've got 3 seasons to study. Not that much. You damn sure don't get to drop in foster sisters, and "spore" drives (which outstrip anything the Starfleet would come up with in the next 50 years), before they've increased warp technology.

BCS features a brother to the main character who is integral to the story. That's because Saul was a supporting character in Breaking Bad,  and a semi -appearing one at that- he didn't need to be fleshed out like that. Spock is a critical character to not just the series but the entire damn franchise. INCLUDING Voyager, Enterprise, and the movies, even when he's not in them. We look at Sarek, Tuvok and T'Pol thru the lens of what we know about Spock. And we know Spock didn't have a sister, couldn't have a sister, and damn sure Sarek wouldn't be a foster parent to a human kid! He barely tolerated his own half -Vulcan son. Come on!! A prequel doesn't mean you get to put anything in there you want. It needs to flow with the established storyline and what we know Will Be, not what you Want it to be.

3 hours ago, Atlantis said:

Frankly I ranted so long in my first post I cut some out. :D

Yes, I saw DS9, thought it was good. "Just because a group of people belong to the Federation it does not mean that they are saints." - Cmdr Sisko.

Of the post original series, I'd rank TNG and DS9, Voyager last. Voyager often put me to sleep.

I do think they missed some opportunities in DS9....why not really distinguish what a starbase can do that a starship cant? Why was the rank structure for a starbase command so often Commodore in the original series, but dropped to Commander by TNG?

Why were all the other leads on the shows have full Captain rank, but Sisko was a Commander?

If theyre gonna do a starbase, why not a Federation one instead of a Cardassian one? By the way I loved the design of Terok Nor. I know a lot of people hated it.

-They show what a space station can do that a starship can't when the Klingons attack in season 4 and they use the station's defenses to fight off an entire fleet.  The station, given it's location and unique situation (former Cardassian now owned by the Bajorans and administrated by Starfleet), is allowed to serve as sort of a "frontier town" for the first few seasons and a marshaling point for Klingon and Starfleet ships (and Cardassian and Dominion ships) in the later seasons, again, which a starship just can't be.

-I had always wondered why, but for some reason they seem to have completely eliminated the rank of commodore by the Berman era and kind of replaced it with rear admiral (one pip). I feel like rear admiral was still a rank in Kirk's time, but you never hear about it.  And then Tamlyn Tomita's character in Picard is a commodore.  It's almost like Berman just forgot this rank existed.

-Sisko got promoted to captain, but I think him being just a commander in the early seasons helped establish the blue collar nature of the station and the show in comparison to TNG and even Voyager.  Also, before the discovery of the wormhole, it seems like Starfleet didn't care all that much about the Deep Space Nine, so putting a commander in charge seems perfectly okay.

-Deep Space Nine being an ex-Cardassian station (now owned by the Bajorans and run by Starfleet) sets up the sort of frontier town nature of the setting, as well as opportunities for flashbacks (through time travel or whatever) to Terok Nor when it was an ore processing station during the occupation, Terok Nor remaining an ore processing station manned by Terran slaves under the Klingon/Cardassian alliance in the mirror universe, conflict between the Bajoran military and Starfleet (Odo vs Eddington and the like), tension between the Federation and the Bajoran government or the Bajoran clergy, Dukat's desire to retake the station later in the show after he vows to "make Cardassia whole again," the "twinning" of Terok Nor and Empok Nor, and a lot of other unique story-telling opportunities for the show that a Starfleet station wouldn't have afforded.

(my two cents...or four. Whatever).

And yeah, I never much liked Voyager, either.  I liked the doctor and Seven of Nine, but I've never been able to watch through the whole thing.  There was a major lack of consistency in the writing.  Great episodes were extremely rare ("Year of Hell" being the only one I can think of), and Neelix might very well be the most annoying character in all of Star Trek.

I love TOS, DS9 and Next Gen as in I can still go back today and often do and rewatch and enjoy episodes from those shows. Overall out of the 3 I think DS9 was done the best other than the very ending with Sisko. Even though I think DS9 was the best done show, I will always have a fondness for the original Kirk and crew. I can rewatch and again often do all the original movies. 5 is my least favorite but there are still even aspects of that one I enjoy. TMP was to long and it could have used more action, but the visuals and music in that one are still favorites of mine. I love those close-up shots of the refit Enterprise as its leaving spacedock for the first time which had some reuse in STII. Its those shots that make that Enterprise my favorite even today.

Voyager, Enterprise are ok and have some really good episodes sprinkled in throughout their runs, but I don't find myself often going back and rewatching them. Enterprise was the first attempt at a prequel series which I thought started off good but it ended up with the same kind of problems as Discovery. The Enterprise Borg episode and Mirror Universe 2-parter however I thought was nicely done. The final Enterprise episode was bad. I also didn't like the Eugenics storyline where they tried to connect it to Khan and brought Brent Spinner back.

My biggest issue with Voyager was that often by the end of each episode the ship would get the #$## beat out of it and then the next episode it was back in pristine condition. They never did a very good job of staying true to the original concept of portraying a crew and ship completely cut off from Starfleet IMO.

The first season of Discovery was unbearable. Season 2 wasn't fantastic but an improvement over season 1, and again glad they moved the ship to the future.

Picard started off good and I liked some things but overall walked away feeling disappointed. Still there was enough there that I am hopeful season 2 will be better. 

I think doing a section 31 series is lame and the fact there never seems to be much movement on it even though it was first announced during the first season of Discovery, I hope they decide to scrap it.

I would like to see a new Trek series taking place during the time of Picard that focuses on the current incarnation of the Enterprise which I am guessing will be on at least letter F by now. They could use Picard to spin off the new Enterprise series which I think would be cool.

This franchise needs someone in charge that has a love and knowledge of StarTrek, similar to Kevin Fiege in the MCU and the opposite of what Kathleen Kennedy has done for Star Wars. 

2 hours ago, ext1jvs said:

This franchise needs someone in charge that has a love and knowledge of StarTrek, similar to Kevin Fiege in the MCU and the opposite of what Kathleen Kennedy has done for Star Wars. 

I guess there's the problem.  The franchise has someone in charge who claims he loves Star Trek but demonstrates neither love for nor any real knowledge of what's come before the projects he's worked on.  He's also an awful writer.

16 hours ago, Satam said:

I guess there's the problem.  The franchise has someone in charge who claims he loves Star Trek but demonstrates neither love for nor any real knowledge of what's come before the projects he's worked on.  He's also an awful writer.

Star Trek is also one of those things that has been around for so long that what appeals to long time fans isnt likely going to appeal to new fans, so its hard to find that balance.

On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2020 at 8:18 AM, JayC said:

"...My biggest issue with Voyager was that often by the end of each episode the ship would get the #$## beat out of it and then the next episode it was back in pristine condition" ...Yeah, too bad they didn't have revamped Galactica or Expanse to look at to get an idea of what being cut off would really look like.

"The first season of Discovery was unbearable..." I tried so hard to watch it but I just cant. And I genuinely like Sonequa, and was very pleased to see Michele Yeoh. The visuals are of course spectacular, but overall its the kind of thing that makes my head wobble that it wasn't cancelled when so many other great shows were. That first season really shoulda killed this show.

"Picard started off good and I liked some things but overall walked away feeling disappointed..." wow, you and me both. I didn't finish that either. I was expecting to see Jean Luc Picard, not some feeble loser who's getting his ass handed to him by media and officers that shouldn't be worthy of standing in his shadow. And this ridiculous devotion to Data...do the writers not know it was La Forge who was his best friend, NOT Picard?? I'm not saying he shouldn't go on his quest but how does he not have Data's best friend with him when he does? How on earth does this Lt Cmdr get off addressing an Admiral as "JL"? Also what's with the F bombs on this show? 

8 hours ago, JayC said:

Star Trek is also one of those things that has been around for so long that what appeals to long time fans isnt likely going to appeal to new fans, so its hard to find that balance.

Fair point, but Kurtzman will always be a crap storyteller and has been involved in tanking no fewer than three franchises (one of which was on its first movie), so either of those things alone should be a disqualifier.

On 5/17/2020 at 12:58 AM, Satam said:

Neelix might very well be the most annoying character in all of Star Trek.

Haha, too funny! Neelix is the Jar Jar Binks of StarTrek! Voyager was horrible, borderline pathetic. How I would love to watch a great StarTrek show again. I purchased CBS all access with the intention of watching Picard, Discovery, Big bang theory. To my surprise Big bang was not there, Picard fell flat, and you know how I feel about Discovery. I cancelled the service not even a month in.