Who Wants Modern BraveStarr And SilverHawks Figures???

JayC

There is no denying that the 80's was a great time for cartoons and action figures based on those cartoons. The decade produced a lot of classic properties, some of which are still active today. The three most well known, arguably are G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero, Transformers and Masters of the Universe.

Still there are many properties from the 80's that developed decent size fan followings, but have never really been brought back for a major modern toy line. One of the most notable properties that fits that description is M.A.S.K. (Mobile Armored Strike Kommand), which is currently held by Hasbro. There have been rumblings in recent years that Hasbro is looking at ways to bring that property back to toy shelves and TV, but nothing definitive.

Two other animated shows/action figures from the 80's that I am often asked if they will ever return are Silverhawks and BraveStarr. For those not familiar with these two properties, Silverhawks was an animated series that first debuted in 1986 from Lorimar-Telepictures. It focused on a team of cyborg-like character lead by Commander Stargazer. They fought the evil Mon*Star. The most recognizable character from this franchise is Quicksilver, who wears a silver bird-like armor. In 1987 Kenner produced a fairly short-lived action figure line based on the show. Interesting enough, it was LJN who was supposed to make the toys for this show, but backed out of the deal at the last minute. LJN is probably best known for making the original ThunderCat toys.

Warner Bros. now holds the rights to Silverhawks when they purchased Lorimar-Telepictures back in 1989. Mon*Star actually made a brief appearance in the 2011 ThunderCats remake animated series.

BraveStarr followed in the foot-steps of Masters of the Universe. The animated series was created by Filmation and the toys were produced by Mattel. The figures hit shelves in 1986, a year before the show aired on TV. Both were fairly short-lived. In fact the show is somewhat notoriously noted for being the final series made by Lou Scheimer's Filmation before the company shut down.

The concept of the show and toys were based on a space/western type mash-up. The main character was a Native American named Marshal BraveStarr, and his main adversary was a dragon like creature known as Stampede, who was voiced by Alan Oppenheimer. The same person who voiced He-Man's arch-nemesis Skeletor on the Filmation Master of the Universe series. Another notable villain in the BraveStarr series was a character known as Tex Hex, who was originally created for the Filmation Ghostbusters series.

Mattel only made one series of 8" action figures which did not include Stampede. Both Bravestarr and Tex Hex did get figures, and they featured an interesting gimmick called Laser Fire Backpacks. These backpacks shot infrared beams that activated sound effects. the line also got some playsets made for it but was canceled before the second wave of figures could go into production.

While I can't say 100%, I believe Mattel still retains the licensing rights for BraveStarr action figures.

So that brings us to the question at hand today. Will we ever see modern versions of Silverhawks and Bravestarr action figures officially made? I honestly don't know, but I do think it is possible. As to who would make them, well the two most likely choices would be either Mattel or perhaps more likely a smaller company like Super7. I don't think Mattel would bother with either license unless there was a movie or new animated series in the works.

Super7 however has a seemingly good relationship with both Mattel and Warner Bros, and made action figures for both companies with He-Man and ThunderCats. Super7 has even teased in recent months that they have some pretty exciting licenses in the works for 2022.

To illustrate how cool I think modern versions of these characters might look in action figure form, we are featuring the custom work of boy_toys528, who has created custom figures of both Quicksilver from Silverhawks and Marshal BraveStarr from the BraveStarr series.

Let us know what you think, would you like to see new Silverhawks and BraveStarr figures made, and which company do you think would be best suited for the job?

00.jpg

Bravestar-By-boy_toys528-01.jpg

Bravestar-By-boy_toys528-02.jpg

Bravestar-By-boy_toys528-03.jpg

Silverhawk-By-boy_toys528-01.jpg

Silverhawk-By-boy_toys528-02.jpg

• Thanks 1

I would love to see these two 80s cartoons have a better toy representation today like MOTU, Thundercats and TMNT so Super 7 and even NECA are the definitive candidates to bring these lines back from the death...

I have faith in Super 7. I'd rather pay 50 bucks and wait a year to get a figure I really want than not to get it at all. I'm very grateful that they tackled Thundercats and Defenders of the Earth and Toxic Crusader. It's more money than I want to spend but less expensive than a customizer and I'm very happy with the sculpts they have been showing off. Silver Hawks, Bravestarr and I wouldn't mind some Tigersharks, Bionic 6 and Visionaires too. 

There is another property I'd like to see come back in Battle Beasts but I think a company like Loyal Subjects would be more appropriate.

I also wouldn't mind Super 7 doing MOTU knockoffs from the 80s like Galaxy Fighters or doing their own original MOTUesq figures.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Now keep in mind while Super7 seems like the logical choice, this is all speculation. There is no confirmation that they or anyone will be doing figures for these two properties. Its really more about who actually is interested or more specifically who would be willing to buy figures for these properties?

• Thanks 1

I still have the Hotwing figure from Silver Hawks; still goldy copper shiny and still spins.

Yes, I'd be interested in a Silverhawks line. But WAY more interested in the Galaxy Rangers! Captain Zachary Foxx, bionic arm! Doc Hartford, living computers! Nikko, psychic warrior! Shane Gooseman, sharp-shooting metamorph!

Forget Bravestarr, that rip-off hack.. RANGERS are FOREVER!

gxy.jpg

• Thanks 1

I had Mon-Starr as a kid and held onto him everywhere I went. I'd probably get a updated one if they did it.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RoddyDrama said:

I have faith in Super 7. I'd rather pay 50 bucks and wait a year to get a figure I really want than not to get it at all. I'm very grateful that they tackled Thundercats and Defenders of the Earth and Toxic Crusader. It's more money than I want to spend but less expensive than a customizer and I'm very happy with the sculpts they have been showing off. Silver Hawks, Bravestarr and I wouldn't mind some Tigersharks, Bionic 6 and Visionaires too. 

There is another property I'd like to see come back in Battle Beasts but I think a company like Loyal Subjects would be more appropriate.

I also wouldn't mind Super 7 doing MOTU knockoffs from the 80s like Galaxy Fighters or doing their own original MOTUesq figures.

To clarify, the Defenders of the Earth are coming from NECA.

I agree that Super 7 is the best choice to produce toys for these two lines...

I’m not familiar with Silverhawks but everything I have seen over the year they looked cool.

Now Bravestarr would be awesome. I wore the stickers off the Fort Kerium playset. I had so much fun with those as a kid. I would be willing to preorder and wait a while for those figures

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JayC said:

Now keep in mind while Super7 seems like the logical choice, this is all speculation. There is no confirmation that they or anyone will be doing figures for these two properties. Its really more about who actually is interested or more specifically who would be willing to buy figures for these properties?

At least we know based on the last Pixel Dan interview that Super 7 is interested in the Silverhawks... I would say probably by next year!

5 hours ago, RoddyDrama said:

Great call on Bionic 6! My next tier would be them and  Centurions!  ....Silverhawks is a must; and after seeing Defenders of the Earth? I fully believe Super 7 can get any license they so choose..... hmm, Wheeled Warriors far down the line?!

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Neovorticism2 said:

I only wish some other bigger and more competent company than S7 was the one that could bring these franchises long forgotten back to the spotlight.

Seeing the DC exclusive figures they made for the cons and the similar style they are using on the new defenders of the earth figures Id like to see Neca take on Silverhawks (their original designs though very 80's werent as buff and big as TC and MOTU so having Super 7 would mean they would inevitably end up in their MOTUC style bodys which to me is a little big for them) In the end I wouldn't mind Super 7 if it means that's the only way we're getting them, but I think Neca could do a great job with this line. Id also think Neca could do justice with some of the Hanna Barbera superheroes like Space Ghost, Birdman, and Blue Falcon, as well as figures from Dungeons and Dragons.

Now if they did a line of Bionic 6 figures I think Hasbro could tackle these a little better (them or Neca), their overall designs for more regular human characters are better proportioned than the super beefy designs Super 7 usually utilizes, Hasbro also REALLY needs to get to work on some new 6in Mask Figures.

As for Bravestar, never really cared too much about that property so dont really care about figures from him.

Two lines I think would benefit for Super 7 would be Thundarr (with their MOTUC style designs) and Beavis & Butthead (more in the style of their upcoming Ren & Stimpy figures)

• Thanks 1

I'm in, would love to see these lines return, personally though I would prefer not to see Super7 handle this , because well we don't really see Super7 figures here in Canada, Maybe Neca? or perhaps Jazwares , I would have said Mcfarlane..but eh ever since I open my DC Multiverse Hell bat and his leg fell off straight out the pack...nah

Some figure lines I'd love to see come back would be Battle Beasts (6'' style would be rad), Supernaturals would be amazing to see again, Inhumanoids and Crystar

• Thanks 1

I'd go for either of those lines, but with two very big caveats.

1) It has to be a REAL line done by an actual company. None of this make on demand crap. Its like the movie said: "If you build it, they will come." NOT the other way around.

2) The company should go to painstaking lengths to do what Neca is doing with the TMNT animated line. Sculpt, deco, accessories, etc: should all be geared toward reflecting the source animation as closely as possible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would buy Silverhawks. I don't have a company preference. Just take away the action features and give them awesome articulation and detail.

No interest in Bravestar.

I would love a new line of Centurians and Sectaurs.

• Thanks 1

I’d be game for both lines eventually, but given the high price point these would be likely to hit I think I could hold off for awhile.  I mean between, all the current Hasbro/Mattel/NECA,/Super7/McFarlane/Diamond/BossFight/Jazzwares offerings there’s only so many lines collectors can afford to keep up with collecting all at once.  Once some of the current older collector lines like the S7 Ultimate Thundercats/TMNT lines or the NECA Turtles/Defenders of the Earth lines run their course and wind down it would be great to see those resources transition to Bravestarr and SilverHawks but if these launched now they would probably just be 2 more lines stretching the collectors dollar in an already stretched marketplace.  

Adding yet more lines to the fray makes it tougher for any of them to survive.  For instance there is a good chance many many of the collectors currently buying Thundercats would also be the target audience interested in SilverHawks or Bravestarr.  But while some would just keep on trucking buying all 3 lines the majority would probably have to make a choice on which ones to collect.  Which means some current TCats customers would stop collecting that line in order to jump in on these new ones (thus causing the TCats sales number to drop which damages the health and continuation of that line while others would not jump in on these lines simply because their dollars are already committed to TCats or other properties).  With the dollar becoming even more stretched for collectors of these niche properties it becomes harder for any of them to do well.  

In an ideal world I say let some of these newly brought back nostalgia lines like Defenders of the Earth and Back To The Future and Thundercats run their course then as those first two lines come to a close and as the Thundercats line is winding down with less yearly releases that’s the time to transition into Bravestarr and SilverHawks.  To introduce them now in a marketplaces this crowded would probably work against them.  Again I’m all for both lines and would definitely collect both I just think this isn’t the right time with ThunderCats and Defenders of the Earth just starting.  Give it a couple of years and let’s transition into these lines as we transition out of others.  (And in the meantime I’ll just have to enjoy my vintage collections of these lines).   

• Thanks 1

Also, while I have no specific information I’d be shocked if Mattel still has the toy rights to Bravestarr.  That was an entertainment created IP (versus a toy IP) which typically means those merchandise licensing contracts and rights eventually expire and/or have to be renewed every so often.  Given its stagnation for over 30 years I am sure those right and whatever continuance options Mattel may have had once have long since expired and now Mattel would have to rebid for them just like anyone else. 

• Thanks 1

I thought brian flynn from super7 said silverhawks is more a question of when because of pacing their fans wallets. That's how I interpreted his answer to pixel dan. It wasn't one of those we can't mention it because it will jeopardize negotiations.

• Thanks 1

Silverhawks command such high prices for original toys on the secondary market that I think it would be great for them to be remade just like Ghostbusters were this year.  I think people would buy them to have a nice set in their collection.

• Thanks 1

I personally would love to see a MASK reboot of toys.  I loved that show and the toys also command extremely high prices on the secondary market.  Although I have many originals, I would not be opposed to that either.

• Thanks 1

The silver guy was the best one and the leader.  I forget his name but Silverhawks would do well I think if they redid them.  I am not so sure about Bravestarr though.  I do not think there is such a following.  even as a kid, my friends did not play with them.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, InspectorZartan said:

I’d be game for both lines eventually, but given the high price point these would be likely to hit I think I could hold off for awhile.  I mean between, all the current Hasbro/Mattel/NECA,/Super7/McFarlane/Diamond/BossFight/Jazzwares offerings there’s only so many lines collectors can afford to keep up with collecting all at once.  Once some of the current older collector lines like the S7 Ultimate Thundercats/TMNT lines or the NECA Turtles/Defenders of the Earth lines run their course and wind down it would be great to see those resources transition to Bravestarr and SilverHawks but if these launched now they would probably just be 2 more lines stretching the collectors dollar in an already stretched marketplace.  

Adding yet more lines to the fray makes it tougher for any of them to survive.  For instance there is a good chance many many of the collectors currently buying Thundercats would also be the target audience interested in SilverHawks or Bravestarr.  But while some would just keep on trucking buying all 3 lines the majority would probably have to make a choice on which ones to collect.  Which means some current TCats customers would stop collecting that line in order to jump in on these new ones (thus causing the TCats sales number to drop which damages the health and continuation of that line while others would not jump in on these lines simply because their dollars are already committed to TCats or other properties).  With the dollar becoming even more stretched for collectors of these niche properties it becomes harder for any of them to do well.  

In an ideal world I say let some of these newly brought back nostalgia lines like Defenders of the Earth and Back To The Future and Thundercats run their course then as those first two lines come to a close and as the Thundercats line is winding down with less yearly releases that’s the time to transition into Bravestarr and SilverHawks.  To introduce them now in a marketplaces this crowded would probably work against them.  Again I’m all for both lines and would definitely collect both I just think this isn’t the right time with ThunderCats and Defenders of the Earth just starting.  Give it a couple of years and let’s transition into these lines as we transition out of others.  (And in the meantime I’ll just have to enjoy my vintage collections of these lines).   

I think this is the logical thing to do but will see because sometimes the demand for new lines gets into the mindset of the company that See's the market open for new business...