Mortal Kombat 11 Spawn Figure Gets Running Change With New Weapon

JayC

For those who missed out on getting their hands on the McFarlane Toys 7" Mortal Kombat 11 figure the first time, you are going to get another chance at it. However there is going to be one minor change made to the figure with the second run. The original batch of figures released featured the character with a sword, and the new figures will feature a mace. Images of the new weapons have yet to be released, but if it is accurate then it likely will be the war club you see him use in the game. You can pre-order the Spawn figure from our sponsor BigBadToyStore.com now, though right now they are still listing the sword coming with the figure, expect that to change soon.

Spawn-MK11-Mace.jpg

Spawn-MK11-Sword.jpg

Love that Spawn and McFarlane are getting a resurgence, the Spawn comics and action figures from the 90s pretty much kickstarted my collecting habits. They never really disappeared from the field, but they definitely lost some momentum for a few years. Thus far, the output has been great.

7 minutes ago, justing said:

i was hoping another skin, like the classic with the mace, oh well 

I wouldn't be surprised if they don't end up doing a variant with a different skin like we saw them do with the other MK11 figures. This is different from those as this is a running change of the same figure. IDK why they switched the weapon and seems like it was a last minute thing. Maybe they ran out of swords????

I actually find it kinda cool, but for me Spawn should have guns not swords or maces, so I’m  fine with either version as long as they make more of that figure, so supply will last and availability will be enough in order not to skyrocket prices.   

Has anyone found this figure online besides eBay?

I checked spawn.com and they had the figure listed for Amazon, Gamestop and Walmart starting March 13th.  Amazon never had the figure listed and the figures they do have listed are from seller who want to sell it for twice the cost.  Gamestop has been listing sold out since March 13th and Walmart never had it listed for online sales.  Sure, spawn.com gives a listing of 400 Walmart stores but I'm not traveling 20 plus miles for a figure.  BBTS was sold out before they even begun selling the figure and relisted it as pre-order but BBTS isn't sure if they will even get those pre-order figures in stock.

Would had love if at least the "running change" had guns rather than a sword and/or even had a different cape where it is more posed? Not sure if I'd would explain myself in the last part.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, K9K1N6 said:

Would had love if at least the "running change" had guns rather than a sword and/or even had a different cape where it is more posed? Not sure if I'd would explain myself in the last part.

It would be nice to have spawn with guns

Spawn with guns (With images) | Spawn comics, Spawn

Check your email if you pre-ordered from BBTS because they are changing orders.  I got this confirmation today:

Hello,

Thank you for Pre-ordering from BigBadToyStore!

McFarlane has informed us they will be fulfilling our order for the Mortal Kombat XI Spawn Action Figure with the updated version that will include a Mace Accessory instead of a Sword Accessory. Due to this updated information, we have changed your Pre-order to the Mortal Kombat XI Spawn (Mace Ver.) Action Figure.

I always thought it was weird that the sword was included when he really only uses it for his forward throw move. He actually has a specific move for his mace. It wouldve made more sense to give him a chain accessory and some guns since he has at least 4 moves that use each. 

On 4/23/2020 at 10:46 PM, Batfreak87 said:

I hate this change, why not come with both? I liked that sword. Makes no sense c'mon Todd. Lol

Tord McFozlove clearly still loves confounding collectors with running changes.

1 hour ago, tudortiger2000 said:

Why was the running change made to begin with? Did they think fans would buy again another Spawn figure for the new accessory?

Back in the golden age of Spawn figures, chase figures were pretty sought after and there were collectors who would try to get both (or sometimes more than that) variants.  Not sure if Todd has that on his mind now, or if it's just ingrained at this point.

7 hours ago, DylanRaven055 said:

My guess is that that was his idea, kinda making the first run of that Spawn unique for collectors, but IMO, the sword looks cooler.

Oh, I'm sure it was his idea, but I was about after doing that kind of thing for so long, if it's something he actively thinks about or if he just did it out of habit.

• 2 weeks later...
We told you last month how McFarlane Toys was making a change in weapons with their Mortal Kombat 11 Spawn figure. The initial release of the figure featured a sword, and now there will be a running change/variant of the figure released, which will feature a war club. The war club is a weapon, like the sword that is featured in the game. Up until now we had not seen any actual images for the new weapon. Below you will see new images of the figure featuring the mace like weapon. Thanks to Bryant on the heads up about the new images.

It's not entirely clear if the version featuring the sword will completely go away, or how many figures with the sword are still floating around in the retail pipe-line. We are definitely still hearing reports of folks finding the Spawn figure with the sword at retail, but those may just be older stock that stores have yet to clear out.

Our understanding has been, as stores re-order new stock of the Spawn figure, that new stock would feature the Mace as opposed to the sword.

I was able to snag a Spawn figure off Amazon earlier this week. The original listing of the figure there had sold out there pretty quickly, so it will be interesting to see which version shows up on my doorstep this weekend. By the way, the figure is once again sold out on Amazon.

I am also kinda torn on which version I actually want. I like the sword, but the mace looks pretty cool to me as well.

If you want to be 100% sure of getting the Mace version, you can specifically pre-order that one from our sponsor BigBadToyStore. They no longer have the sword version available, as they to sold out of that one.

SpawnMace_01.jpg

SpawnMace_02.jpg

SpawnMace_03.jpg

SpawnMace_04.jpg

SpawnMace_05.jpg

SpawnMace_All.jpg

I was tempted on this figure, but went for the classic remaster from the kickstarter. I like the Red on the suit in the og design. Was tempted to get the modern version too, but don't think I need two Spawns on my shelf and at that price tag no less.