Lanard Toys Doing Top Gun Toys

JayC

While Mattel was named the global toy partner for the Top Gun franchise last year, it looks like they aren't the only toy company doing products. Shown below are images via 75denny who discovered this "Full Throttle" Top Gun duel jet fighter 2-pack from Lanard Toys on the shelf of his local Walmart. While geared for kids, the set does include two 3 3/4" action figures. One of them is of the Tom Cruise character Maverick. The second figure looks to be based on a generic Russian pilot. It is unknown if Lanard will be doing other Top Gun related products, or if this is a one and done type of thing. Look for it on shelves now.

Lanard-Toys-Top-Gun-01.jpg

Lanard-Toys-Top-Gun-02.jpg

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JayC said:

While Mattel was named the global toy partner for the Top Gun franchise last year, it looks like they aren't the only toy company doing products. Shown below are images via 75denny who discovered this "Full Throttle" Top Gun duel jet fighter 2-pack from Lanard Toys on the shelf of his local Walmart. While geared for kids, the set does include two 3 3/4" action figures. One of them is of the Tom Cruise character Maverick. The second figure looks to be based on a generic Russian pilot. It is unknown if Lanard will be doing other Top Gun related products, or if this is a one and done type of thing. Look for it on shelves now.

Lanard-Toys-Top-Gun-01.jpg

Lanard-Toys-Top-Gun-02.jpg

I wonder if the figure have Tom Cruise sculp head... 

Lanard is been doing these movie licencing sing Kong.

2 hours ago, mako said:

Tend to doubt it. Last I heard, Cruise's Scientology beliefs forbade putting his likeness on toys.

That's too bad if that's the case...

Well then it would be the job of a good customizer to create a good head for the figure...

Lanard fans (all three of 'em) are a bit, well, over the top on the enthusiasm and #$##-talking front, and that sorta makes me want to take the piss out of these. Truth is though, I'm glad to see toys being made for kids, and not with adult collectors in mind. That said, those "jets" are so friggin' goofy!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, tudortiger2000 said:

Are those really fighter jets from the movie?  I tend to agree that they do look like "knock-offs", or re-purposed original molds from another toy line. 

I think that's exactly how Lanard works.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nosferatuman62172 said:

Obviously  resold from the corps line. I'm glad to see lanard getting  movie liscences. I would like to see some newly sculpted figures from them though.

They did the the Rock figure for Rampage and reused for the Jumanji line...

2 hours ago, GojiBill said:

Tom Cruise movies have never been known for good toys...I still remember seeing this gem in a KB Toys store

7FB58D68-A60B-452A-A596-51E84D95AD24.jpeg

Wow I never saw that one but for the year it was released, I don't expect face accuracy like today...

On 4/15/2020 at 5:05 PM, GojiBill said:

Tom Cruise movies have never been known for good toys...I still remember seeing this gem in a KB Toys store

7FB58D68-A60B-452A-A596-51E84D95AD24.jpeg

There you have it. They weren't allowed to even attempt a Cruise likeness, so you ended up with a line of multiple versions of only one character who doesn't look even remotely like the guy who played him.

• Thanks 1

On 4/14/2020 at 7:38 PM, Hai_Karate said:

Lanard fans (all three of 'em) are a bit, well, over the top on the enthusiasm and #$##-talking front, and that sorta makes me want to take the piss out of these. Truth is though, I'm glad to see toys being made for kids, and not with adult collectors in mind. That said, those "jets" are so friggin' goofy!

Wow! Those three fans must buy a LOT of toys. The lines been going strong for decades, and now this makes four or five major motion picture licenses they've had. Kinda makes you wonder if those three fans know something you don't.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mako said:

Wow! Those three fans must buy a LOT of toys. The lines been going strong for decades, and now this makes four or five major motion picture licenses they've had. Kinda makes you wonder if those three fans know something you don't.

Overall, the Lanard toys seem to be a solid toy brand for kids. Sure, the human characters are generic looking soldier types, but they are poseable and come with decent accessories. The creatures (Kong, Rampage, Aliens) have looked pretty good for kid toys. While not as detailed as other lines, they do have their charm. IMO, Lanard did better with Kong than Jakks did with G:KotM.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If it's anything, for those who want some smaller jets for their 4" Joe figures for a cheap price, you can use the Black 1 for Cobra, and the Grey 1 for Joes.  Not a terrible 2 pack I would think.  If they show up in Canada(Most likely Wal-mart since Lanard toys seem to only be a exclusive for Wal-mart), I'll consider it.  I don't mind having 2 more smaller jets for my Joes and Cobra.

UPDATE: I had a question for JayC earlier, but realized that he got the info and photos from someone else who sent the info to him.  I at 1st thought he saw them in person.  So never mind the question JayC.

But if anyone finds out the price of the set, can you please post it here?  Thanks.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, A_Spidey_Fan said:

If it's anything, for those who want some smaller jets for their 4" Joe figures for a cheap price, you can use the Black 1 for Cobra, and the Grey 1 for Joes.  Not a terrible 2 pack I would think.  If they show up in Canada(Most likely Wal-mart since Lanard toys seem to only be a exclusive for Wal-mart), I'll consider it.  I don't mind having 2 more smaller jets for my Joes and Cobra.

UPDATE: I had a question for JayC earlier, but realized that he got the info and photos from someone else who sent the info to him.  I at 1st thought he saw them in person.  So never mind the question JayC.

But if anyone finds out the price of the set, can you please post it here?  Thanks.

Based on other Lanard packs, I will assume the price is around $24.99 or less...

On 4/17/2020 at 9:30 AM, mako said:

And here's one of them! For whatever reason, you Lanard super-fans (all 3 of you) are way vocal in your effusive praise of these toys. Which would be cool, except that your lot then tends to #$## on other brands. You're also that broken-record generic nerd-boy meme who compulsively says negative things (with the prerequisite air of cliched superiority about inconsequential #$##) regarding everything on a toy news site, so I'm happy you've found something to be positive about. Seriously man, go take a look at your post history. It's like a catalog of jealousy and butt-hurt masquerading as smug arrogance. You're basically Comicbook Guy come to life. 

Let's face it, Lanard sells on price and mostly to parents of small kids. And, I'm sure you've noticed, those "major motion picture" licensed toys have all had to be clearanced/marked down from their already low price-point in order to move. It's like that with all Lanard stuff. Walmart ended up knocking that "The Corps Combat Strike - 4-Way Assault Set" from last year down to $5.00 (from $25.00) just to get rid of them. So better not site Lanard sales as some yardstick of success. For picky adult collectors, it's some subpar #$##, but we're talking about toys here, so I'm all for anything targeted to kiddos. If adults enjoy them too, that's terrific.

• Thanks 1

On 4/18/2020 at 11:45 AM, Hai_Karate said:

And here's one of them! For whatever reason, you Lanard super-fans (all 3 of you) are way vocal in your effusive praise of these toys. Which would be cool, except that your lot then tends to #$## on other brands. You're also that broken-record generic nerd-boy meme who compulsively says negative things (with the prerequisite air of cliched superiority about inconsequential #$##) regarding everything on a toy news site, so I'm happy you've found something to be positive about. Seriously man, go take a look at your post history. It's like a catalog of jealousy and butt-hurt masquerading as smug arrogance. You're basically Comicbook Guy come to life. 

Let's face it, Lanard sells on price and mostly to parents of small kids. And, I'm sure you've noticed, those "major motion picture" licensed toys have all had to be clearanced/marked down from their already low price-point in order to move. It's like that with all Lanard stuff. Walmart ended up knocking that "The Corps Combat Strike - 4-Way Assault Set" from last year down to $5.00 (from $25.00) just to get rid of them. So better not site Lanard sales as some yardstick of success. For picky adult collectors, it's some subpar #$##, but we're talking about toys here, so I'm all for anything targeted to kiddos. If adults enjoy them too, that's terrific.

I love it when you "Adult Collector" types talk about toys made for children in the same way you'd complain about something the dog left on the living room carpet.

For what its worth, if Marvel Legends, DC Multiverse, and all those other "Adult Collector" lines were cancelled tomorrow and all we had were Playmates, Lanard, Spin Masters, and those new guys making that Scoob! line; I'd still be a happy camper.

BTW: since you seem so proud of your ability to know what I collect, its only fair I advise you I haven't collected Lanard in years. I respeect what they do, I love their products, and it wouldn't take much at all to get me back into them, but for now they're just not what I'm into.

Don't feel bad, we all stick our foot in it once in a while.

• Thanks 1

On 2/28/2020 at 12:02 PM, JayC said:

Yeah,  and that was my point, I just think much of that fanbase as is often the case with these types of things thinks its bigger than it actually is.

I don't think bashing a toy company does any good at all. Lanard is been for years producing figures that were not at all my preference but lately they been doing some vehicles that are totally compatible with GI Joe that are a great addition for any collector trying to fill some gaps that Hasbro been left off by not producing Joe figures over a few years... I personally have plenty of ARAH and all the other lines Hasbro has been producing but if I see something another company made that fits my collection, I'll buy it because I don't have a signed contract to Hasbro to only get their stuff... I like that Lanard is been improving a lot and my God some of those vehicles like the flying fortress and the big helicopter are certainly something that catch my attention...

http://www.thecorpshq.com/

I don't think there is a point of bashing a company like this. These products aren't really made for adult collectors. That being said there is also nothing wrong with saying these aren't for you either. It will be interesting to see how this compares with whatever Mattel ends up putting out.

• Thanks 1