Lord Of The Rings 7" Select Wave 1 Official Figure Images From DST

JayC

From The Lord of the Rings saga, the epic Select Series begins with the original odd couple, the dwarf Gimli and the elf Legolas! Each 7-inch scale figure features 16 points of articulation, detailed sculpting, and a full range of accessories. Each comes packaged in a full-color window box with hangtag, and also comes with a piece of Sauron - collect the whole line to build the 13-inch villain. You can pre-order these from our sponsor BigBadToyStore.com.

LOTR-Select-Wave-1-01.jpg

LOTR-Select-Wave-1-02.jpg

LOTR-Select-Wave-1-03.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Neovorticism2 said:

Yay!, but I'm not sold yet, 'cause it's DST and it could be either a hit or a miss (more prone to a miss) so I'll wait for some reviews and some in hand pics.

Also only 2 figures per wave,  jeez, build that Sauron will take forever. So, I'm with one foot in and the other out just in case.

Same here, I'm mostly leaning out because of scale... but if they were hits rather than misses, I might even go all in on it, regardless of scale. I was looking at my old LOTR figures... and they could use an upgrade.

Yesterday we showed you official images for the first wave of 7" Lord of the Rings Select figures coming from Diamond Select Toys which includes Gimli and Legolas, we now have an official image for the 13" Sauron Build-A-Figure to show you.

There will be a total of 6 figures done that you will need to get in order to complete the Sauron figure. We saw all 6 figures on display back in February during Toy Fair. The other four figures being released include Aragorn, Ringwraith, Frodo and a Goblin.

Sauron-DST.jpg

That sauron is really nice and tempting, its a shame we'll have to wait like 3 years to get all the pieces to build him, also the figures look nice, legolas and gimli look on point but aragorn and frodo dont seem like they need a little more work on the face sculpt of the actors, also im on the fence because diamond almost always has qc issues or things that make the figures loose points, paint chipping, broken pegs, hands that wont hold the weapons, it seems like with diamond its always a coin flip and most times there is something worng with the final production pieces, Ive always thought of diamond as Neca bootleg in some way, a figure that could be just as good as neca but ultimately ends up lacking because of those little things that they seem like they dont care and Neca does (the little extra effort that neca puts in their figures comes a long way and with diamond its those little things that always come lacking that make their figures be just ok instead of what could be great figures), hopefully they put more love and thought with these figures.

• 2 months later...

I am really looking forward for this I would love to update the toy biz ones but it is diamond select who are notorious for dropping lines cross our fingers they dont and they get to a point where we could get a balrog. The neca one was always my grail but never found.

• 3 months later...
A Diamond Select Toys release! Form the Fellowship! Add the Hobbit that started it all to your 7-inch Lord of the Rings collection with this highly anticipated release! Featuring movie likeness, this approximately 4-inch figure shares the series with a 7-inch Nazgul/Ringwraith! Each includes character-appropriate accessories, as well as 16 points of articulation, and each comes with a part of the 13-inch Sauron build-a-figure! Each figure comes packaged in a full-color window box with hangtag. Designed by Yuri Tming and Eamon O'Donoghue, sculpted by Gentle Giant Studios.

Look for these to be out in March 2021 and can pre-order them now from our sponsor BigBadToyStore.com.

LOTR-Select-01.jpg

LOTR-Select-02.jpg

LOTR-Select-03.jpg

• 3 months later...

I'm glad they went with a whole new box design rather then using the standard Diamond Select packaging, that packaging is just so cumbersome and foolish. I'm really curious to see if this line actually takes off within the collector community, I don't know why I feel as though it's destined for a limited run.

Are those all the accessories that Legolas comes with?  What happened to his signature blades?  Did DST completely miss the mark?...

I'm a huge fan of LOTR and still have all the Toy Biz figures, but I honestly don't think this line will have much longevity.  Maybe another BAF wave and that might be it.  

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...
15 minutes ago, Mr_Scary92 said:

Welcome to the Diamond Select Toys world...

And goodbye to SeanMarshall who also posted some spammy crap about Tinder photos and a link to something about buying instagram followers.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Diamond Select Toys has released new official images for their 7" scale Lord Of The Rings Select Sauron figure. Pieces for this figure are included in the four different Select waves which include the following:

-Wave 1 Gimli And Legolas
-Wave 2 Frodo And Ringwraith

-Wave 3 Moria Orc And Aragorn
-Wave 4 Uruk-hai Orc And Gandalf The Grey

Wave 1 is available now and the other waves are available for pre-order at places like our sponsor BigBadToyStore.com.

00-Select-Sauron-01.jpg

00-Select-Sauron-02.jpg

00-Select-Sauron-03.jpg

00-Select-Sauron-04.jpg

• Like 1

lets hope they manage to fulfill this build a figure their track record on finishing certain lines isn't great I'm still waiting on that pulp fiction 2nd wave !! and I really really want them to re-issue those real ghostbusters figures now would be a good time with the new movie coming out cause those 2ndary market prices are insane !

For those wondering how these hold up under the camera, so far I've found them excellent.  The sculpts are of significantly deep cuts and the clothing (soft plastic and rubber mix) are nicely textured, get out of the way well during articulation and are the right sheen under both ambient and spotlights. Like you may have seen, there is a QC issue with Legolas' legs but every breakage I've seen has been from cranking them like a Marvel Legends. I've learned over the years that unless it is Marvel Legends or a handful of other lines, treat them like porcelain dolls. Sucks I know, but they are really only 'toys' in a very loose sense. They are more like posable statues.

An example of how they look under the camera's eye. This one was posted here a little while ago. If you're a movie LoTR fan, I highly recommend them as a good product that is not at a high premium price. Just be careful. :)

GimliMoria_POST 2.jpg

• Thanks 1