Sign in to follow this  
JayC

Lord Of The Rings 7" Select Wave 1 Official Figure Images From DST

From The Lord of the Rings saga, the epic Select Series begins with the original odd couple, the dwarf Gimli and the elf Legolas! Each 7-inch scale figure features 16 points of articulation, detailed sculpting, and a full range of accessories. Each comes packaged in a full-color window box with hangtag, and also comes with a piece of Sauron - collect the whole line to build the 13-inch villain. You can pre-order these from our sponsor BigBadToyStore.com.

LOTR-Select-Wave-1-01.jpg

LOTR-Select-Wave-1-02.jpg

LOTR-Select-Wave-1-03.jpg

• Like 1

Yay!, but I'm not sold yet, 'cause it's DST and it could be either a hit or a miss (more prone to a miss) so I'll wait for some reviews and some in hand pics.

Also only 2 figures per wave,  jeez, build that Sauron will take forever. So, I'm with one foot in and the other out just in case.

1 hour ago, Neovorticism2 said:

Yay!, but I'm not sold yet, 'cause it's DST and it could be either a hit or a miss (more prone to a miss) so I'll wait for some reviews and some in hand pics.

Also only 2 figures per wave,  jeez, build that Sauron will take forever. So, I'm with one foot in and the other out just in case.

Same here, I'm mostly leaning out because of scale... but if they were hits rather than misses, I might even go all in on it, regardless of scale. I was looking at my old LOTR figures... and they could use an upgrade.

8 hours ago, memocromatico said:

Same here, I'm mostly leaning out because of scale... but if they were hits rather than misses, I might even go all in on it, regardless of scale. I was looking at my old LOTR figures... and they could use an upgrade.

The Toy Biz figures were great in their time, some of them have aged well (mostly the super posable ones) and others not so much, specifically the Aragorn figures never had a good likeness to Vigo Mortensen and I've always hated the levers that the gimmicky figures had protruding from their backs. These new figures could be on par in terms of sculpting, in articulation they could surpass the majority except the super posable figs and in terms of quality that remains to be seen, a point in favor of Toy Biz is that they used cloth or soft rubber And DST will likely use stiff plastic, which is going to hinder the joints.  

It would have been great if they started with the figures from The Hobbit trilogy, the company that made the figures back then got a good start but then just dripped the ball and left many figures unproduced.

3 hours ago, andoy24 said:

Both figures look good...7 inch scale = marvel select, I guess only a few collectors of this nowadays.

Lol...You'd be surprised

Yesterday we showed you official images for the first wave of 7" Lord of the Rings Select figures coming from Diamond Select Toys which includes Gimli and Legolas, we now have an official image for the 13" Sauron Build-A-Figure to show you.

There will be a total of 6 figures done that you will need to get in order to complete the Sauron figure. We saw all 6 figures on display back in February during Toy Fair. The other four figures being released include Aragorn, Ringwraith, Frodo and a Goblin.

Sauron-DST.jpg

Nice, too bad it will be years before one can build the guy.

I'm really tempted by these, but as many mention, scale is kind of a bummer. Well, the other problem is being able to see these in stores. But that Sauron Is really tempting.

That sauron is really nice and tempting, its a shame we'll have to wait like 3 years to get all the pieces to build him, also the figures look nice, legolas and gimli look on point but aragorn and frodo dont seem like they need a little more work on the face sculpt of the actors, also im on the fence because diamond almost always has qc issues or things that make the figures loose points, paint chipping, broken pegs, hands that wont hold the weapons, it seems like with diamond its always a coin flip and most times there is something worng with the final production pieces, Ive always thought of diamond as Neca bootleg in some way, a figure that could be just as good as neca but ultimately ends up lacking because of those little things that they seem like they dont care and Neca does (the little extra effort that neca puts in their figures comes a long way and with diamond its those little things that always come lacking that make their figures be just ok instead of what could be great figures), hopefully they put more love and thought with these figures.

If we're uncertain of getting the major characters from the LOTR, (I'm looking at you Gandalf the Grey), it's a bit hard to start collecting these new 7" versions;  even with a BAF Sauron in tow. 

I am not into LOTR, never was but that Build a figure looks amazing, and it just generally good to see Diamond select join build a figure trend after so many years. Can they do it with Marvel select I wonder.

8 hours ago, SpiderS said:

Can they do it with Marvel select I wonder.

Nope, Disney/Hasbro won't allow 'em to do that.

On 4/14/2020 at 7:36 PM, tudortiger2000 said:

If we're uncertain of getting the major characters from the LOTR, (I'm looking at you Gandalf the Grey), it's a bit hard to start collecting these new 7" versions;  even with a BAF Sauron in tow. 

To tell the truth there are several figures in the old Toy Biz  LoTR line that are not in perfectly 6 inches.

I am really looking forward for this I would love to update the toy biz ones but it is diamond select who are notorious for dropping lines cross our fingers they dont and they get to a point where we could get a balrog. The neca one was always my grail but never found.

3 hours ago, Tazedy said:

I am really looking forward for this I would love to update the toy biz ones but it is diamond select who are notorious for dropping lines cross our fingers they dont and they get to a point where we could get a balrog. The neca one was always my grail but never found.

I would also like this line to be successful so that we can see a good number of characters having new versions, however I think a 7-inch scale Balrog would be far beyond what DST could consider feasible or profitable, they are not even very sure if they will continue making more BAFs besides Sauron.

I still have my Battle of Helm's Deep box set from Toy Biz and they still look good to me. I might keep an eye out for this line but I doubt I'll get into it.

I just really want that Build-a-figure Sauron more than anything, Ringwraith and Goblin are also must haves

4 hours ago, Belmont13 said:

I still have my Battle of Helm's Deep box set from Toy Biz and they still look good to me. I might keep an eye out for this line but I doubt I'll get into it.

I keep an eye on this from the fence too, I love LoTR and I still have some of my old Toy Biz figures, they were great in their time, there were some whose aesthetics was ruined by their gimmicks and I'm glad that after so many years finally another company will be releasing LoTR figures...well, kinda since DST is not a company that I'd have taken into account to give the license, however I've heard good comments about their John Wick figure and that gives me a little hope on this line, but I'm not holding my breath neither. So let's wait and see.

• Like 1