JayC

What Would A New 3 3/4" G.I. Joe Line Look Like To You?

Ever since word broke earlier in the year that Hasbro was bringing G.I. Joe back to the toy aisle, many have been wondering what that would mean for 3 3/4” collectors.

08__scaled_600.jpg

While Hasbro’s initial announcement at Toy Fair was for a new 6” Classified line, those who grew up on G.I. Joe in the 80’s and prefer smaller scale figures were left wondering, “What about me?”

This week the fansite Hisstank dug up some new listings on the Walmart website for a new G.I.Joe exclusive line called “G.I.Joe Retro”. While there is nothing about these listings that suggest what the scale of the figures will be, their assumption seems to be that they will be 3 3/4”.

07__scaled_600.jpg

Hasbro these days seems to favor 6” figures, but precedent exists for them doing 3 3/4” size figures as Walmart exclusives. We saw them do this a few years ago with Star Wars, when they released a limited line of articulated 3 3/4” Black Series figures.

Still the word “Retro” could refer to a number of things. After all, the original G.I. Joe figures released in the 60’s where actually 12” figures with cloth uniforms. “Retro” is also a term often used with 8” Mego style figures with cloth outfits.

02__scaled_600.jpg

The word “Retro” also could simply refer to the outfits. The new 6” Classified figures feature classic 80’s characters in updated uniforms, so this new Walmart line could simply be the 6” Classified figures repainted with their classic outfits.

The possibilities of what this Retro line could be based on our current info is infinite, but let’s assume for a moment this in fact is a new line of 3 3/4” figures. If so, that begs a whole slew of new questions.

01__scaled_600.jpg

Hasbro has released a number of different 3 3/4” lines over the years with different designs and looks. There was the original “A Real American Hero” line with the classic O-ring design, then there is the more modern 25th Anniversary figures that ditched the O-rings. So if Hasbro released new 3 3/4” figures, which route would they go? Could they give us something totally new or even just shrunk down versions of their Classified figures?

05__scaled_600.jpg

The Walmart listings even indicate some kind of HISS Tank vehicle in the works. So would that just be the same HISS Tank Hasbro has released many times over the years since the 80’s?

Even IF Hasbro ends us giving a new 3 3/4” line, what are they going to be able to release that will make most collectors happy and be something they don’t already have???

• Thanks 1

I know people would be ecstatic if they where to make a retro 3/75" o-ring style collection , seeing how the Star wars line has the kenner retro's I wouldn't be surprised to see Joe get that treatment. but I would also love for them to continue the look and feel of the 25th and ME version but with new/classic looks to iconic characters.

• Thanks 1

IMO those "retro" figures are most likely vintage repros but it is just my guess, at the end of the day who knows.

• Thanks 2

I haven't purchased 3.75" figures in a long time.  The reason being that I don't like the aesthetic quality of the figures.  If Hasbro 3D prints the pieces to a quality unmatched in the industry and makes them look outstanding, I'd be all in!

• Thanks 1

I would like to see this retro line to be like the 80s ARAH line and maybe with a more accurate look to the cartoon...

Realistically I think Hasbro is going to rerelease some of the 80s figures like they are doing with the Ghostbusters...

I'd imagine that these are reports of the original rah figures, just like hasbro's doing with star wars. What I would love to see are New versions of older characters as well as all new characters done in the original o ring style. Basically a continuation of the original line.

• Thanks 1

We first told you about these G.I. Joe Retro figure listings that showed up at Walmart last month. While we still have no specific information on what exactly these are, the general thought is that they will be some type of tribute 3 3/4" action figure line sold exclusively at Walmart stores. The $12.93 price lends itself to these being in the 3 3/4" scale, and the word "Retro" brings thoughts of the classic 80's products. Also note two listings are for vehicles. A Retro H.I.S.S. Tank vehicle with a $26.83 price and Awe Striker with a $26.82 price.

While we still don't have any specific information or confirmation for what exactly these figures are, we do have thanks to Jtprime17 the Walmart SKU#'s and direct links to each figure on the Walmart website for you to keep track of. Note the listings use the same type of codenames as we have seen used with the 6" Classified figures as opposed to the actual character names.

GIJ RETRO FIGURE MANTIS SKU# 513900390

GIJ RETRO FIGURE DARKLING SKU# 233031189

GIJ RETRO FIGURE SCORPION SKU# 634866260

GIJ RETRO FIGURES TARANTULA SKU# 606601997

GIJ-RETRO-FIGURE-MAYFLY SKU:

GIJ RETRO VEHICLE COBRA H.I.S.S. SKU# 388022731

GIJ RETRO VEHICLE AWE STRIKER SKU# 926584486

If we match up the codenames used with these Retro figures and the ones used originally with the wave one 6" Classified figures we now know about, we can speculate that Darkling is Destro, Trantula is Snake-Eyes and Mayfly is Roadblock.

Of course none of this is confirmed and we will have to wait and see what is what when Hasbro decides to officially announce them.

GIJoe-Retro.jpg

• Thanks 1

Interesting, I'm still waiting for the rest of Classified figures to be revealled. A retro line sounds tempting since the few Joe I own are from modern lines, but I don't know if they would be available in my region and there lies the problem.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JayC said:

We first told you about these G.I. Joe Retro figure listings that showed up at Walmart last month. While we still have no specific information on what exactly these are, the general thought is that they will be some type of tribute 3 3/4" action figure line sold exclusively at Walmart stores. The $12.93 price lends itself to these being in the 3 3/4" scale, and the word "Retro" brings thoughts of the classic 80's products. Also note two listings are for vehicles. A Retro H.I.S.S. Tank vehicle with a $26.83 price and Awe Striker with a $26.82 price.

While we still don't have any specific information or confirmation for what exactly these figures are, we do have thanks to Jtprime17 the Walmart SKU#'s and direct links to each figure on the Walmart website for you to keep track of. Note the listings use the same type of codenames as we have seen used with the 6" Classified figures as opposed to the actual character names.

GIJ RETRO FIGURE MANTIS SKU# 513900390

GIJ RETRO FIGURE DARKLING SKU# 233031189

GIJ RETRO FIGURE SCORPION SKU# 634866260

GIJ RETRO FIGURES TARANTULA SKU# 606601997

GIJ-RETRO-FIGURE-MAYFLY SKU:

GIJ RETRO VEHICLE COBRA H.I.S.S. SKU# 388022731

GIJ RETRO VEHICLE AWE STRIKER SKU# 926584486

If we match up the codenames used with these Retro figures and the ones used originally with the wave one 6" Classified figures we now know about, we can speculate that Darkling is Destro, Trantula is Snake-Eyes and Mayfly is Roadblock.

Of course none of this is confirmed and we will have to wait and see what is what when Hasbro decides to officially announce them.

GIJoe-Retro.jpg

Well I finally sold out my GI Joe club FSS 8.0 so I think that money will be saved to get this line in the future...

Back in April we told you how a new line of figures listed as G.I. Joe: Retro from Hasbro had shown up in the Walmart systems. The general thought was that these would be some type of 3 3/4" line which at least here in the US would be a Walmart exclusive line.

Well now thanks to a heads up from JTPrime we have a confirmation that this "Retro" line will in fact be a 3 3/4" line. The confirmation comes from a Hasbro Bill Of Lading showing the products along with a bunch of other Hasbro stuff has arrived in Canada.

You have to sift through a ton of stuff but the thing to note for Joe fans is this:

GIJ RETRO FIGURES AST QUANTITY 4086 THE G. I. JOE RETRO LINE IS AN ASSORTMENT OF FIGURES PRESENTED IN THE CLASSIC 3 3/4 -INCH SCALE FANS 9503. 00. 9059 DIMENSION 15. 9 X 12. 4 X 24. 1 CM GROSS WT. PER CTN 0. 467 KG NET WT. PER CTN 0. 367 KG

Now there still many unknown questions about the line, such as whether these will be classic O-Ring designed figures, more modern 25th Anniversary design or something completely new. With the figures showing up in Canada, you can bet it's only a matter of time before we start to see images of them leak out, if an official announcement from Hasbro isn't soon forthcoming.

Beyond the 5 figure listings that used code words instead of actual character names that originally showed up on the Walmart website, there are two vehicles (Cobra HISS Tank and Joe Awe Striker) slated to be released as well. Stay-tuned for more details on this as they become available.
  • Thanks 1

Exciting news.  

For me personally I’d enjoy seeing 2 things from a 3-3/4” Joe line.  

1) a continuation of modern/25th style Joe figures that continues where the old line left off.  This would need to most likely be a collector focused line and probably something to produce in lower numbers as fan channel exclusives but I really want to see that line continue and work through all the characters we never got in the ME line.  The GI Joe Collectors Club did a nice job of offering those figures to us but the combination of being very expensive, and reduced quality/variety towards the end worked against it.  Plus the collectors club was terrible at promotion And creating awareness which meant it never found an audience beyond the small number of us die hard s.  Hasbro could have a farther reach and better opportunity to market the figures which means even though it would be a more exclusive line they could still sell quantities higher than the collectors club could and thus they could do it at a better price point as well.  

2) I’d love to see the return of O-ring figures.  I know realistically this probably means reproductions of the originals but what I really want is O-ring versions of the characters that never got an O-ring figure.  Characters like Pythona from the ‘87 movie or The original General Flagg from the comics, or any of those characters created in the 2000s like Blackout Bombstrike, Barrel Roll, etc.  I think if they had a line up that was a nice mix of some of these never made characters combined with classic rereleases it could do well.  Heck I’d even love to see a Hector Ramirez O-ring figure for Comic Con one year.  

• Thanks 1

For me, the proper size for a GI Joe is 3 3/4.  So I like that they did that.  Makes the line a little more appealing.

• Thanks 1

The HISS tank was so cool.  I once had an original sealed in the box but unfortunately sold it.  If it is nice and looks like the original I would not mind buying one to open and display!

• Thanks 1

I would like them to be as close to the originals as possible.  The carding should be the same.  The inner bubble should hold the figure better and the figure should have a similar sculpt, similar accessories and colors.  But it should be an updated version as far as articulation and such.

• Thanks 1

I feel that 3.75" is ideal for GIJ since the vehicles were always such a great part of the line and the nostalgia. The fact that most vehicles included figures was a great way to get kids buying the vehicles. And once you picked up a vehicles you realized how fun it was and wanted more! I was tempted by the Battle Force 2000 stuff even after I had already sold off all toys in my misguided quest to grow up.

I'm following all the Joe news as a spectator since I'm trying to limit what properties I spend money on. However, I would definitely go for a rereleased version of the old Zartan and Serpentor sets.

• Thanks 1

I also lean towards the possibility of this line being repros of the vintage figures, but the possibility of modern 3 3/4 line in the 25th anniversary style and with vehicles included doesn't seem impossible to me, although I think we may see such line in a near future, once confirming the Classified line as a success.

• Thanks 1