Will The Coronavirus Effect The Toy Industry???

JayC

Comic-Con International today has announced that their WonderCon convention which was set to take place in Anaheim CA on April 10-12 was being postponed due to concerns over fears of the Coronavirus. Right now they are saying that San Diego Comic Con which takes place in July is still going forward, though I suspect that could easily change as we get closer to July.
1 of 1

Slight correction, it seems SDCC is actually undecided. Got this official statement.

"We continue to work closely with officials in San Diego and at this time no decision has been made regarding the rescheduling of Comic-Con slated to take place this summer; July 23-26, 2020. We urge everyone to follow the recommendations set forth by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and your local health officials."

i think i will go on youtube and find out how to make my own hand sanitizer. The little bottles i have in my car wont last forever. Speaking of industries being affected, my local movie theater just sent out an email saying that they are in compliance with all local and cdc regs on keeping their facility clean and healthy. Just realized that as summer approaches some of our favorite Marvel Movies are upcoming. Wondering now if i am willing to go into that cramped area with a crowd of people or wait until i can see it at home on my tv. Even though i am an old head, i always make an effort to go see my MCU favorites. But since my age puts me at greater risk i will have to reconsider my options. Most of my health , youth and strength have abandoned me, but i still got my wisdom. 

• Like 1

You know what the real tragedy in the Corona outbreak is? Not the virus itself, which is basically the equivalent of a really bad flu, but crappy little articles like this written by pitiful little people just trying to stir the pot to get themselves some attention.

This kind of yellow reporting is beneath trash . . . just like the people who write it.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, mako said:

You know what the real tragedy in the Corona outbreak is? Not the virus itself, which is basically the equivalent of a really bad flu, but crappy little articles like this written by pitiful little people just trying to stir the pot to get themselves some attention.

This kind of yellow reporting is beneath trash . . . just like the people who write it.

Dude your like a broken record. And whats funny is you spend more time on these sites than anyone else. Usually when someone doesn't like something they go somewhere else.

• Like 3

I don't think I've seen anything like this in my lifetime, this definitely has me on edge about the whole thing. I'm being very cautious about where I go, try not to be in an environment where there are a lot of people gathering. I'll expect more cancellations before things get better, which I do hope will be soon.

• Like 1

On 3/13/2020 at 9:05 AM, mako said:

Yes I'm sure the 5,845 confirmed dead, and the satellite footage of mass trenches of bodies in Iran reported by the New York Times, are just overblow, and they just had sniffly colds. As a medical professional and biostatistician, I defer to your expert judgement on this as a layperson.

Its very easy when you're living a carefree privledged life to forget that these are real people, and it's about more than whether you get your plastic crack fix this week. When factories shut down, or wharfs stop shipping goods, these casual employees get stood down and lose their livelihood.

Writing snarky little comments on a message board might give you a smug sense of satisfaction, but others see it as ignorance and low character.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I am against panic and general mass hysteria, but jsut to be safe and have no more issues that could get the situation even worse it would be a good idea to just postpone everything until summer. Since SDCC is on Summer could be safe. But again if things don't get better we could even see all cons being canceled including NYCC. 

The next month or so will be decisive. 

On 3/15/2020 at 7:23 AM, DavidReillycom said:

Yes I'm sure the 5,845 confirmed dead, and the satellite footage of mass trenches of bodies in Iran reported by the New York Times, are just overblow, and they just had sniffly colds. As a medical professional and biostatistician, I defer to your expert judgement on this as a layperson.

Its very easy when you're living a carefree privledged life to forget that these are real people, and it's about more than whether you get your plastic crack fix this week. When factories shut down, or wharfs stop shipping goods, these casual employees get stood down and lose their livelihood.

Writing snarky little comments on a message board might give you a smug sense of satisfaction, but others see it as ignorance and low character.

The reactions we are seeing compared to what we are being told about the effects of the virus don't really add up IMO. The deaths from every piece of data I have seen still correlate to the elderly or those who already have compromised  health. Yes any death from the virus is unfortunate, but for most who catch the virus, they will recover (again based on the info we are being given). The spread of this virus is more so right now than the flu because it's new so our bodies haven't developed any kind of natural defenses to it and their is no vaccine at this time. I imagine most of us will catch the virus. I get we are trying to keep our healthcare system from being overloaded, but we've had deadlier viruses break out in the past and not seen the kind of reactions  we are seeing now where the world is essentially shutting down, so its very odd IMO. IDK if we aren't being given all the facts or the world is being thrown into a over reaction panic thanks to social media, but things don't add up. 

All I know is that it sucks being part of the population with a comprised immune system. 

I hope everyone has a safe few weeks in this crazy time. Better safe than dead I always say! 

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Nickg253 said:

All I know is that it sucks being part of the population with a comprised immune system. 

I hope everyone has a safe few weeks in this crazy time. Better safe than dead I always say! 

Def hope everyone can and does stay safe, and one thing is for sure. This is nothing like anything we have ever seen before. Whether all the shutdowns and such  is the right thing to do or not will likely be unknown for some time, but never in my lifetime have we ever seen what we are seeing now so I would def say we are witnessing an historic moment.

• Like 2

On 3/15/2020 at 6:23 AM, DavidReillycom said:

Wow, you're kind of all over the place.

Its not just that, but shipping is affected as well. Amazon is going to prioritize essential items. Shipping in general seems to be prolonged as well.

My case may be rare and this may be coincidental, but Ive never had a delay in my shipping before when its en route and recently my items (not from amazon) have just been halted and receive date is now pending. It was supposed to be here yesterday. I would imagine that the precautions of the coronavirus potentially could be holding it up. It could also be pure speculation here but of all the years Ive never had shipping be postponed mid transit. 

On 3/23/2020 at 1:39 PM, EvilHayato said:

Its not just that, but shipping is affected as well. Amazon is going to prioritize essential items. Shipping in general seems to be prolonged as well.

My case may be rare and this may be coincidental, but Ive never had a delay in my shipping before when its en route and recently my items (not from amazon) have just been halted and receive date is now pending. It was supposed to be here yesterday. I would imagine that the precautions of the coronavirus potentially could be holding it up. It could also be pure speculation here but of all the years Ive never had shipping be postponed mid transit. 

IDK what delivery service your using but yeah lots of places are dealing with manpower shortages and prioritizing shipping, so everything is going to be moving slower than before.

On 2/26/2020 at 10:49 AM, JayC said:

That goes with out saying, however even how deadly this virus actually is seems to be up for debate by many, with some saying the common flu has as much chance of killing you as this, and its mainly those already in bad health that its killing.

Setting toys aside completely, the truth is this virus and its effects are likely going to be far worst from a financial standpoint than a overall health one. If this were to throw the planet into a global recession which if remains unchecked for a long period of time could happen, the loss of jobs will likely be far greater than the loss of lives. Again kinda goes without saying but lets hope neither one happens and this is contained soon.

On regards of the toy industry, yes it will be affected because workers may no be able to attend their jobs plus shipping will be impacted by new restrictions.

On regards of us well some of us already been affected like in my case my wife and I were laid off this week because of the virus so even consumer will be affected because of no money income to buy toys...

• Sad 1

I attend a variety of conferences and travel for work, but everything has been cancelled/postponed until mid-May in hopes of preventing further spread. Teleworking and other alternatives to encourage social distancing has been recommended when possible.
Another thing I noticed is that most of my Amazon orders are delayed by weeks to a month to prioritize the delivery of essential items. Not a big issue, but definitely a sign that concerns surrounding COVID-19 have greatly impacted supply chains and other services.
Hopefully the precautions employed by the various countries and organizations start having an effect on flattening the curve permitting our healthcare systems the time and resources needed. To everyone - stay safe and healthy!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Because of the pandemic, many Walmarts and Targets havent been stocking new figures for the past 2-3 months. In the Mattel WWE line, several figures and series that were supposed to be store exclusives (Freddie Blassie, Superstar Graham, Legends 7, Decade of Domination, etc) ended up being put online.

• Sad 1