DC Collectibles Goes Back To The DC Direct Name

JayC

DC Collectibles, known for its iconic lines of collectibles, statues and action figures, directly from the source, is returning to the name on which it was founded, DC Direct. The move to rename reaffirms DC Direct’s commitment to source DC material and validates the authenticity of being truly “from the source”.

“Returning to the name DC Direct just makes sense,” said Jim Fletcher, Creative Director, DC Direct. “The name lets our fans know that we have unparalleled and direct access to DC editorial and the industry’s premier talent, which in turn allows us to create an extensive offering of unique and high-end product lines that are truly authentic to DC.”

During New York Toy Fair, DC Direct will display its striking new 2020 action figures and statues in its booth. This year’s lineup will feature an all-new statue line based on the The Joker, a revamped Artist Alley line, and additions to expand its best-selling action figure and statue lines including DC Essentials, Batman Black & White, Harley Quinn Red, White & Black, DC Designer Series, DC Bombshells, and more.

With the success of the Batman Black & White and Harley Quinn Red, White & Black statue series lines it is only fitting that The Joker get his own statue line to be based on the iconic images of the Super-Villain from the DC Comics pages. The series will appropriately be named The Joker Clown Prince of Crime. Fans and collectors won’t want to miss the inaugural figure in the series based on an iconic comic image of The Joker by Brian Bolland. This piece really emphasizes the drama and the mania that makes The Joker one of the best foes of all time. Following Bolland, will be statues by Jim Lee with a classic comic Joker design that really portrays how creepy the jokester is with oversized features such as hands and feet and Lee Bermejo, perhaps one of the most popular comic illustrators associated with The Joker. Bermejo has designed a statue that will look amazing on any shelf as its displayed in hues of purple and green.

The highly collectable DC Artists Alley line will also undergo a revamping, fans will notice more premium format designs and figures. First out of the gate, The Joker by Brandt Peters. Peters uses his design talents to bring The Joker to life by combining his antique, Victorian style for a truly unique take on the villain. Additional artists joining the DC Artists Alley line include, Brittney Lee, a popular artist who used her talent in paper-craft-style art to create a new take on the famous villainess Catwoman, Patrick Ballesteros, who uses childlike nostalgia and imagination, to bring one back to their younger years will provide his take on the Bat Family including Deathstroke and Robin, and Zach Heffelfinger will provide his take on the Dark Knight. As a character designer for Nickelodeon on SpongeBob SquarePants, Heffelfinger brings about a sense of nostalgia with his stylistic art.

Additional statues and figures debuting at the show include Deadshot, the last character in the Batman Rogues Gallery Multi-Part Statue; A DC Bombshells: Poison Ivy Holiday Variant; new Batman Black & White and Harley Quinn Red, White & Black statues and DC Essentials and Batman The Adventures Continue action figures.

For the complete list of DC Direct’s items to be on display at New York Toy Fair, see below:

The Joker Clown Prince of Crime Statue Line:
The Joker by Brian Bolland (NY Toy Fair reveal)
The Joker by Jim Lee (NY Toy Fair reveal)
The Joker by Lee Bermejo (NY Toy Fair reveal)

DC Artists Alley Designer Vinyl Figures
The Joker by Brandt Peters (NY Toy Fair reveal)
Catwoman by Brittney Lee (NY Toy Fair reveal)
Batman by Zach Heffelfinger (NY Toy Fair reveal)
Bat-Family by Patrick Ballesteros (NY Toy Fair reveal)

Batman Rogues Gallery Multi-Part Statue:
Catwoman
The Penguin
The Joker
Harley Quinn
Mr. Freeze
Deadshot (NY Toy Fair reveal)

DC Cover Girls Statue Line:
Batgirl by Frank Cho Statue
Supergirl by Frank Cho Statue
Harley Quinn by Frank Cho Statue
Poison Ivy by Frank Cho Statue

Batman Black & White Statue Line:
Batman by Todd McFarlane Statue
Armored Batman by Frank Miller Statue
Batman by Jim Lee Statue
Batmonster by Greg Capullo Statue
Batman by Brian Bolland Statue (NY Toy Fair reveal)
Batman Gotham by Gaslight by Mike Mignola Statue (NY Toy Fair reveal)
Batman by Freddie E. Williams III Statue (NY Toy Fair reveal)

DC Essentials Action Figures:

· Batman Rebirth Version 2 Action Figure

· The Flash Speedforce Action Figure

· New 52 Nightwing Action Figure

· Superman The Return of Superman Action Figure

· DCeased Batman Action Figure

· DCeased The Joker Action Figure

· DCeased Aquaman Action Figure

· DCeased Green Lantern Action Figure

· DCeased Harley Quinn Action Figure

· DCeased Superman Action Figure

· DCeased The Flash Action Figure

· DCeased Supergirl Action Figure

· Justice League Action Figure 6-Pack (NY Toy Fair reveal)

DC Designer Series Statue Line:
Metal Batman by Greg Capullo Mini Statue
Nightwing by Jim Lee Mini Statue
Batman by Mike Mignola Mini Statue
Batman by Alex Ross Deluxe Statue
Supergirl by Michael Turner Mini Statue
The Batman Who Laughs by Greg Capullo Statue
Catwoman by Stanley ‘Artgerm’ Lau Statue
Harley Quinn by Bruce Timm Mini Statue

DC Gallery:
Superman vs. The Flash Racing Statue 2nd Edition
Batman vs The Batman Who Laughs Battle Statue
DCeased Batman Statue (NY Toy Fair reveal)

Batman The Adventures Continue Action Figures:
Robin
The Joker
The Batman Who Laughs
Batman v.2
Catwoman
Vampire Batman
Talon (NY Toy Fair reveal)
Thomas Wayne Batman (NY Toy Fair reveal)
Batgirl (NY Toy Fair reveal)
Robin (Tim Drake) (NY Toy Fair reveal)

Batman The Animates Series Action Figures:
Christmas with The Joker (Metallic Variant) (NY Toy Fair reveal)

Harley Quinn Red, White & Black Statue Line:
Harley Quinn by Steve Pugh
Harley Quinn by Amanda Conner Statue
Harley Quinn by Stanley Lau Statue
Harley Quinn by J. Scott Campbell Statue (NY Toy Fair reveal)

DC Bombshells Statue Line:
Harley Quinn Deluxe Version 2 Statue
Poison Ivy Holiday Variant (NY Toy Fair reveal)

BMBW_Bolland_Batman_v2.jpg

BMBW_Mignola_Batman_Gaslight.jpg

BMBW_Williams_Batman.jpg

BTAC_Batgirl_.jpg

BTAC_Robin_Tim_Drake_.jpg

BTAC_Thomas_Wayne_Batman.jpg

DC_AA_Ballesteros_25cent_Wonder_Batfamily.jpg

DC_AA_Heffelfinger_Batman_.jpg

DC_AA_Peters_Joker_.jpg

DC_BS_Poison_Ivy_Holiday_Variant.jpg

DC_Essentials_JL_6PK.jpg

HQ_RWB_Campbell.jpg

HQ_RWB_Lau_V2.jpg

JKR_CPC_Joker_Bermejo.jpg

JKR_CPC_Joker_Bolland.jpg

JKR_CPC_Joker_Lee.jpg

• Like 1

Well, for the name change, um okay? sure, i mean it doesn't seem that necessary but hey it's what the wanted to do; that funny batman statue with the robins lol, it's really cracking me up. As for the new Batman the adventures continues figures i still can't wait to see the newest additions such as The Batman who laughs or the Thomas Wayne Batman, i didn't think they would go adding Tim Drake Robin or Batgirl which judging by these images they are definitely the same figures released before but if i had to guess they'll have cel shading and possibly newer accessories? the cel shading part is more likely to be the thing than the accessories part, admittedly unless if the Batgirl figure of this line is more different than her previous release i may pass on this one since i already have this figure to say the least.

Edit: wait, as i just looked a little more carefully on the image (which damn it i didn't checked it that well lol) is the eye holes of her cowl are more defined? not sure how to explain but in the previous version it looks different.

Though i did expected the hair and skin color to be a little lighter i guess as well, then again I'm still unsure of whether I'll want to get it or not.

8 minutes ago, elongatedman said:

I hope they continue with Essentials. They’re a good supplemental line to McFarlane’s Multiverse.

Can't argue with that, the DC Essentials do look nice to be honest :), plus i do like both lines either way.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Belmont13 said:

I half expected them to rename themselves Batman Collectibles.

Imagine that lol and people would be like "what? But there's other DC characters, why that?!" Haha XD

• Haha 1

Think about how much time it will save to say the four syllables name as opposed to the old six!  I hope they put all that time saved into action figure development!  I like the Animated Series figures and plan to get a few of these but what I really really want is a revival and continuation of the Greg Capullo Bat figures, ones we didn't get, like a Damian Wayne Robin and some Metal figs.  Also still one of my wish lists is a Damian Wayne as Batman 666 in a Designer series based on Andy Kubert's art.

I think on average I preferred “DC Direct” era  over “DC Collectibles” era.  Part of that was that with DC Direct you seemed to get a more diverse character selection (not just 90% Batman Family) and a lot of their product really represented their history with a ton of product that represented the characters and art styles of the Golden, Silver, and Bronze Age.  These were products and character choices that wouldn’t necessary appeal at the mass appeal of retail but could find a home with the deeper, more niche specialty store and customer.  Despite the name change I don’t think we’re going to see a return to form and instead I believe we’re going to continue to see the same type of cool but mostly Batman, and not that much different than what you’d expect at retail type of offering as we’ve been getting the last several years.  

So the big plus and benefit of this name changing back and why I think it’s a good idea.... search engines.  DC Collectibles was such a generic name that it was very difficult to search for their products.  Mattel, McFarlane, Koto, Sideshow, etc etc all make “DC collectibles” and thus any of those products would also populate when searching for such a generic term.  With them calling themselves DC Direct again you’ll have a much better chance of having their actual product populate the top of the search results. That’s key in an age dominated by Amazon and eBay shopping.  I was shocked they ever changed their name to “DC Collectibles” in the first place for this reason alone.  

• Like 1

Do we know what will be the last released item/wave with the DC Collectibles label on it?  Just curious.