Ben Affleck Dropped Out Of 'The Batman' Because Of Alcohol

Outsiders

In an interview published by The New York Times via Deadline, Ben Affleck has revealed his true reasons on why he decided to leave The Batman and it all came down to alcohol.

The two-time Oscar winner admitted that between his struggles with alcohol, his divorce from Jennifer Garner, and all the problems with the shoot on Justice League that he had to abandon the role of Bruce Wayne.

“I showed somebody The Batman script,” Affleck told the Times. “They said, ‘I think the script is good. I also think you’ll drink yourself to death if you go through what you just went though again.”

Affleck said he “drank relatively normally,” but then things got out-of-control.

“I drank relatively normally for a long time. What happened was that I started drinking more and more when my marriage was falling apart,” he explained.

“You’re trying to make yourself feel better with eating or drinking or sex or gambling or shopping or whatever,” the actor and director explained. “But that ends up making your life worse. Then you do more of it to make that discomfort go away. Then the real pain starts. It becomes a vicious cycle you can’t break. That’s at least what happened to me.”

The 47-year old actor's marriage to Garner ended in 2018 and he played the role of Batman/Bruce Wayne in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice and Justice League, and a cameo in Suicide Squad.

A new movie about the caped crusader, The Batman is being film with Robert Pattinson taking over the title role. Directed and co-written by Matt Reeves, the film co-stars Zoë Kravitz, Colin Farrell, Andy Serkis, Paul Dano, Jeffrey Wright, John Turturro, Jayme Lawson and Peter Sarsgaard.

The film is set to premiere on June 25th, 2021.

I still wish he continued with Batman, I really like him in the role, I guess we should blame Wb and Snyder in some way, but on other hand divorce is tough but scrutiny that came with BVS and JL was no less harmfull, especially when you reach highs like wining Oscar for your movie getting role of Batman and then get right away divorce and 3 superhero movies that fail critically. Maybe they can sill bring him for small role in Flash movie before they reboot whole thing. 

He needed a better start at being batman than ones that featured other characters like how JL and BVS was. I wanted him to fight his own villains and all that. They wanted too much too soon and it failed. A shame he went through all that but im sure drinking was not the only culprit causing his troubles. The more I think about it, every batman after Keaton has had immense scrutiny from the start. I have never had any that I thought blew my mind however the Bale series was the best written and most interesting. I didnt feel they were my batman vision but they were very entertaining. 

• Like 1

Affleck was just meh. I'm sure given better product to work w he would've shined. Now we have twanlight batsoyman. That new film will be sjw trash. Id honestly would rather have unknowns to fill these roles. If only wb could get its shi@ together. 

I agree with Memo, he was my favorite live action too. Tough break on the problems but we all got them. Some maybe more than others I will admit but I guess its all in how we face them. Maybe he could get in touch with Tim Storey, he's the guy that helped Robert Downey Jr get back on his feet right before Iron Man 1. Evil was right that they, DC tried to jump ahead too soon feeling the pressure from Marvel. If Afleck was able to have his own stand alone movies first and face his own rogues gallery I think it would have been much better for him, for them and for us. 

• Like 1