I have a question about collecting figures

KingDiablo

I'm rather new to looking at sites like this one, which I stumbled across purely by chance. I find a lot of this quite interesting, as the collections many people have are beyond impressive. My question stems from a number of posts I've read, where collectors discuss varieties of options past, present, and future. I'm wondering why figure sizes are so important to some people? I don't mean special variant editions of a particular figure, which include different sizes. I'm speaking in general terms of an overall collection. I tend to think variety in a collection is more interesting. Why have everything in a particular collection in a uniform size, rather than have a variety of options to choose from? Just curious.

Why do certain music enthusiasts only collect vinyl? Why do certain movie buffs only collect films made between such and such years? Why did my Mom collect JFK memorabilia as opposed to Nixon, Johnson, or Ford? Why did my Dad collect Volkswagen Beetles?

Everyone who collects anything is bound to have a focus to their collecting. Very few collections are totally open-ended with the collector buying EVERYTHING. For myself, I collect comic based Marvel Legends and cherry pick from other lines of similar scale, detail and articulation. At the moment, that includes Power Rangers: Lightning Collection (focusing on Mighty Morphin' and Lost Galaxy), and select WWE figures (mostly Basic but some Elite).

Why? Because that's what Mako wants.

I display my figures together within their own line and brands. So whatever scaling differences there may be don’t really catch my eyes. 
my guess to your question would be the visuals. People like symmetry and tend to like things to not stand out too much. So when scales match up there isn’t too much work to fit things in.

On 2/17/2020 at 12:00 PM, KingDiablo said:

I'm rather new to looking at sites like this one, which I stumbled across purely by chance. I find a lot of this quite interesting, as the collections many people have are beyond impressive. My question stems from a number of posts I've read, where collectors discuss varieties of options past, present, and future. I'm wondering why figure sizes are so important to some people? I don't mean special variant editions of a particular figure, which include different sizes. I'm speaking in general terms of an overall collection. I tend to think variety in a collection is more interesting. Why have everything in a particular collection in a uniform size, rather than have a variety of options to choose from? Just curious.

A variation of different sized figures can be more pleasing to the eye. When you hear people talk about size and scale they are referring to accuracy. You wouldn't want a Hulk to be shorter than Thor that would look silly and wouldn't match the source material which is what we are hoping to achieve. Even when mixing lines, which can be fun. Take Mcfarlane Toys new superman who is 7" scale, does not fit with 6" scale because he is not to tall.

Their are may cases of mixing in Marvel selects larger scaled characters who are out of scale but still work because they have been drawn larger in difference reference art. Like if I could find a 25" Galactus I would take that over my 19" version. Because it would fit better. 

It also depend on your collection. someone who only collects turtles may have everything all different sizes mixed in and that would probably look dope. just depends. 

Display purposes are you usually the main reason. Figures of various sizes dont look as good on a shelf or if someone is into toy photography or what have you. I think sometimes some people are a little to particular about scale but of course people are gonna vary based on personal preferences.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been collecting comics since i was a boy, i started my action figure collection in my 30's mostly for my son. My collection had almost come to a standstill until one day i found this site and it put a spark back in my collection. i mostly collect marvel legends and DC figures. Every now and then i will purchase another type figure but mostly to use in my photo's. i mostly collect 6 inch figures, but have other size in my collection it varies on what i like. Everybody collects and displays to his or her own preference. i still enjoy it myself.

• 1 month later...

I have another questions if anyone still replies to this post or can answer...Where do you keep your collectives?  In the basement?

Also, how do you keep them from yellowing?  of course I know to keep them out of the sun but it seems like a basement will stay cool but also get pretty cold in the winter.  This can affect older toys a lot.

Just wondering what anyone has to say.

• 3 weeks later...

I have very little particulars when it comes to my collection or displaying it, I do generally have a fair amount of figures grouped together, I.E. Marvel Symbiotes in one place, Gremlins in another, but I also don't really care at the same time and have tons of areas in my collection that have no rhyme or reason , just stuff I like.

I just want to look at stuff that pleases my eyeballs , simple and plain