NECA Doing They Live Roddy Piper Nada Figure?!?

JayC

NECA today posted this teaser image for what appears to be a 8" Retro Cloth figure based on the Roddy Piper Nada character from the classic John Carpenter "The Live" movie. Neca has previously done a 8" male and female 2-pack from the movie. More details on this should come to light next weekend during the New York Toy Fair which kicks off on February 22.

They-Live.jpg

I just don't get it. Who is really clamoring for these more obscure 35 year old genre offerings??  Why would a company such as NECA or other similar companies go through the design and production trouble to to make these for the 50 units that they will sell? Even the Black Hole figures and Flash Gordon that are recently coming to market are pushing it!! I just don't see how these companies can make money on the licenses even of they were dirt cheap- which I am sure they were competitive to more mainstream genre shows.  Why wont they give us more mainstream properties like classic Battlestar, Space 1999 and Lost in Space. If companies are going back as far as the 70s with Black Hole, Flash Gordon and They Live(albeit the 80s), I am assuming that they perhaps want to get my money on something that I enjoyed as a kid and now have deeper spending pockets to buy their goods that remind me of those younger days. The collectors my age, for the most part, have the more expendable income for toys like this but these one off movie figures are not going to get me to part with it. The afore mentioned TV shows I watched daily and weekly back then,will. But for some reason, no one wants to touch those licenses with the exception of a robot figure here and there. I don't think I'm off base here as there plenty of collectors like me out there. I would love to hear other opinions on this matter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spack said:

I just don't get it. Who is really clamoring for these more obscure 35 year old genre offerings??  Why would a company such as NECA or other similar companies go through the design and production trouble to to make these for the 50 units that they will sell? Even the Black Hole figures and Flash Gordon that are recently coming to market are pushing it!! I just don't see how these companies can make money on the licenses even of they were dirt cheap- which I am sure they were competitive to more mainstream genre shows.  Why wont they give us more mainstream properties like classic Battlestar, Space 1999 and Lost in Space. If companies are going back as far as the 70s with Black Hole, Flash Gordon and They Live(albeit the 80s), I am assuming that they perhaps want to get my money on something that I enjoyed as a kid and now have deeper spending pockets to buy their goods that remind me of those younger days. The collectors my age, for the most part, have the more expendable income for toys like this but these one off movie figures are not going to get me to part with it. The afore mentioned TV shows I watched daily and weekly back then,will. But for some reason, no one wants to touch those licenses with the exception of a robot figure here and there. I don't think I'm off base here as there plenty of collectors like me out there. I would love to hear other opinions on this matter.

Personally, I'd love a figure of Piper from "They Live". I still watch that movie a couple of times a year. It's iconic, and classic John Carpenter. I wouldn't run out and by figures from every movie or TV show I like, but this one would be a big draw for me. Maybe it's because I'm also a wrestling fan, and as a kid in the 80's, I loved Roddy Piper. Best heel in the business.

• Like 1

Fair enough, King D. Would you say this was something you have been waiting for or something that has been offered as a surprise to you and figured it would be nice to have?

Either way it is nice when when a company puts something new out that will enhance your collection.

Now what about the other 49 people who would purchase this? Lol

21 minutes ago, Spack said:

Fair enough, King D. Would you say this was something you have been waiting for or something that has been offered as a surprise to you and figured it would be nice to have?

Either way it is nice when when a company puts something new out that will enhance your collection.

Now what about the other 49 people who would purchase this? Lol

I hadn't thought about it from that perspective. It's not something I've been hoping and clamouring for, except when it came out. I wanted a figure back then, just to stand side by side with my WWF Roddy Piper. However, that was likely the last time I thought about it in the 30+ years since then. So, you're right, it fits the surprise that would be cool to have category, but I think there would be closer to 80 people that would want it. 🤔😆

• Like 1

Hot Rod in addition to being tied with Bret Hart as my favorite wrestler when I was kid became a long time personal friend as an adult.  I miss running into him on set or hanging out with him at a comedy club.  In addition They Live is a John Carpenter classic.  Very happy to see this figure finally getting a release. 

• Like 2

I agree that the movie is a classic and one of my favorites from John Carpenter, but I have no interest in the figures. I wonder if they are marketing with other countries in mind also. A lot of tv and movies we call old over here may not be that old to other countries that are reaching a higher level of entertainment than before. We take things like that for granted since a large majority of that kind of stuff originates over in the USA. What im waiting for is a better, faster stronger version of Steve Austin, no not the wrestler, im talking about the Six Milliion Dollar Man. A six inch version with accessories and that robot of John Saxon with the removable face. I been waiting for that since the 70's. And still waiting.

1 hour ago, silverback77346 said:

I agree that the movie is a classic and one of my favorites from John Carpenter, but I have no interest in the figures. I wonder if they are marketing with other countries in mind also. A lot of tv and movies we call old over here may not be that old to other countries that are reaching a higher level of entertainment than before. We take things like that for granted since a large majority of that kind of stuff originates over in the USA. What im waiting for is a better, faster stronger version of Steve Austin, no not the wrestler, im talking about the Six Milliion Dollar Man. A six inch version with accessories and that robot of John Saxon with the removable face. I been waiting for that since the 70's. And still waiting.

I would be up for collecting a new 7 inch bionic man as well. He fits right in with those untapped 40 year old licenses I was talking about as well. I would need to add Big Foot to the collection though.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Spack said:

I would be up for collecting a new 7 inch bionic man as well. He fits right in with those untapped 40 year old licenses I was talking about as well. I would need to add Big Foot to the collection though.

I got the last big foot that BIF BANG POW put out several years ago. I was not impressed with the head sculpt for Steve Austin but couldn't pass it up either. I wanted the robot they made but I don't think it ever got out on shelves or at least not in my area. There is talk of a Mark Wahlberg smdm movie but I don't want my action figure looking like him either. Like Spock said to Stonn on the episode AMOK TIME, "After a while you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing as wanting." Of course Spock was speaking of T'Pring, not an action figure. I would buy a T'Pring though. She was muey Bonita.

47 minutes ago, silverback77346 said:

I got the last big foot that BIF BANG POW put out several years ago. I was not impressed with the head sculpt for Steve Austin but couldn't pass it up either. I wanted the robot they made but I don't think it ever got out on shelves or at least not in my area. There is talk of a Mark Wahlberg smdm movie but I don't want my action figure looking like him either. Like Spock said to Stonn on the episode AMOK TIME, "After a while you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing as wanting." Of course Spock was speaking of T'Pring, not an action figure. I would buy a T'Pring though. She was muey Bonita.

Dynamite is putting out Bionic Man and Bionic Woman comics these days, so anything's possible. I agree completely about not wanting an action figure looking like Wahlberg,  or just about any actor. I want Harley Quinn to look like the Comics, not Margot Robbie. I think the only exception to the rule for me is Heath Ledger's Joker, and the 60's Batman show, because it's so cheesy it's awesome.

• Like 1

On 2/15/2020 at 9:48 AM, Spack said:

Cheap licenses that have nostalgia value attached to it. These smaller toy companies are built on these smaller niche licenses. Your right they don't sell in huge volumes or likely making tons of money. Welcome to the toy industry.

2 hours ago, JayC said:

Cheap licenses that have nostalgia value attached to it. These smaller toy companies are built on these smaller niche licenses. Your right they don't sell in huge volumes or likely making tons of money. Welcome to the toy industry.

JayC would you say that licences like Lost in Space, classic Galactica, Six Million $ Man, Space1999 and the like are too large a license for these smaller companies and at the same time too small for the Hasbro's and Mattel's of the works?

If so that would leave this era of Sci-fi toy licensing in no-mans land.