Star Wars Vintage Collection Vehicles I Want To See From Hasbro - The Imperial Troop Transport

JayC

It’s hard to believe that one of the coolest Star Wars vehicles Kenner made into a toy back in the day was one that never actually appeared in the movies. But that’s what happened when they released the Imperial Troop Transport vehicle.

Imperial-Troop-Transport-Kenner__scaled_600.jpg

The vehicle carried eight different action figures, not including ones you could stuff in the very back as prisoners. The toy had space for two figures up front to drive and six in the back for transport, plus two mind control helmets to place on prisoners. Actually, I don’t think they were really mind control helmets, but that what I always pretended they were as a kid.

If that wasn’t cool enough, you could press buttons on top of the vehicle to play various phrases and sounds from Star Wars — cool sounds like blasters and such. This electronic feature worked nicely with the twin rotating cannon located on the top of the vehicle.

Even though the vehicle never actually appeared in the movies, Kenner did include a little mini-comic in the instructions showing us that Stormtroopers used this vehicle in A New Hope to destroy the Jawas and their Sandcrawler while looking for R2-D2 and C-3PO.

Rebels-Troop-Transport__scaled_600.jpg

It wasn’t until decades later that Hasbro decided to give us a version of this vehicle when it finally showed up on screen during the Star Wars: Rebels animated series. While not a bad vehicle, it was made for Hasbro’s more kid-oriented Rebels toy line of the time which lacked the details and cool electronic features of the original toy.

So that brings us to the present with the new Disney+ Mandalorian series. At long last, the Imperial Troop Transport appeared in live-action form during the second-to-last episode of the first season. Only onscreen for a few seconds as tons of Stormtroopers offloaded to surround the Mandalorian and his colleagues, its presence gives me hope that Hasbro might finally give us a high end Vintage Collection version in 2020.

Mandalorian-Troop-Transport__scaled_600.jpg

I would love to see Hasbro give this vehicle the same treatment they gave the Imperial Combat Assault Tank from Rogue One. It’s probably too much to ask that they include the same type of electronic feature as a nod to the original Kenner toy. Even if they don’t, I can live with that. Let’s hope this is something we see either next month at Toy Fair or at the latest in July during SDCC.

Imperial-Troop-Transport-Kenner.jpg

Mandalorian-Troop-Transport.png

Rebels-Troop-Transport.jpg

I think its appearance in the Mandalorian show increases the chances of it being made. If Hasbro does end up making it, I wonder if they can keep it at a reasonable price, a constant complaint I see regarding the recent vehicles is that they are too pricey.

12 hours ago, Belmont13 said:

I think its appearance in the Mandalorian show increases the chances of it being made. If Hasbro does end up making it, I wonder if they can keep it at a reasonable price, a constant complaint I see regarding the recent vehicles is that they are too pricey.

Well unfortunately that is just the reality of the toy industry. If it is done I highly expect it will be on the pricey end and I think collectors are going to either have to except that or give up on the idea of getting nicely detailed vehicles anymore and settle for the cheaper made stuff. I don't think its possible to get it both ways anymore.

10 hours ago, JayC said:

Well unfortunately that is just the reality of the toy industry. If it is done I highly expect it will be on the pricey end and I think collectors are going to either have to except that or give up on the idea of getting nicely detailed vehicles anymore and settle for the cheaper made stuff. I don't think its possible to get it both ways anymore.

Agreed, it's just the way things are now, the market has changed. I feel that it applies not only to vehicles but to 4'' figures as well, if you want highly detailed and articulated figures like The Vintage Collection they run you around $12.99 or go for the less articulated ones that are like $10.

Entertainment News International (ENI) is the #1 popular culture network for adult fans all around the world.
Get the scoop on all the popular comics, games, movies, toys, and more every day!

Contact and Support

Advertising | Submit News | Contact ENI | Privacy Policy

©Entertainment News International - All images, trademarks, logos, video, brands and images used on this website are registered trademarks of their respective companies and owners. All Rights Reserved. Data has been shared for news reporting purposes only. All content sourced by fans, online websites, and or other fan community sources. Entertainment News International is not responsible for reporting errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and or other liablities related to news shared here. We do our best to keep tabs on infringements. If some of your content was shared by accident. Contact us about any infringements right away - CLICK HERE