JayC

TNI Editorial: The Frustrations Of An Action Figure Collector In 2020

I agree Darth. I used to love going to stores to "hunt" but with "free shipping" like you get with Amazon Prime it's just too convenient to shop online.

My time is precious to me and I don't want to waste it going to multiple WalMarts only to find the local scalpers/collectors have already cleaned them out.  Some have posted that they have had bad experiences shopping online, but; for the most part, I have had very good experiences shopping from Amazon and even Ebay. 

Also I have found that if I'm a little patient, Amazon discounts figures pretty quickly. So add it all up;  convenience, saving time and money and it makes for an unbeatable combination.

• Like 1

Maybe Hasbro has to open their own stores and also sell online. Hasbro Pulse needs to be improved and expanded.

Lego is making a killing with their stores and their online presence. And they also have a huge adult following (AFOLS).

With many sets like the Friends Coffee Shop, the '89 Batmobile, and many star wars sets that easily run over $250 bucks, you can't ignore that market. Sure the adult collector market will never be as big as the kid market. But they usually spend a lot more and can be very loyal (as long as they don't feel they are being taken advantage).  Hasbro, Mattel and other companies need to improve their social media and have a good relationship with toy collectors.

If Mattel and Hasbro don't cater to these fans they are leaving money on the table. Even if adults only represent about 30% of the market. They are a steady stream of income.

1 hour ago, sonic360 said:

Maybe Hasbro has to open their own stores and also sell online. Hasbro Pulse needs to be improved and expanded.

If Mattel and Hasbro don't cater to these fans they are leaving money on the table. Even if adults only represent about 30% of the market. They are a steady stream of income.

Indeed, the "direct to consumer" route is where all toy companies that want to take seize of the adult collector market should be investing their efforts and resources, some small companies have already done it, so the big name companies should not have a bigger problem to implement this model too. 

Hasbro Pulse has potential but as you have already mentioned there is always room for improvement and Mattel is very behind on this front, they used to have Mattycollector but we already know how that story ended and now their general online store is not even operational, it's just an online catalog.

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎11‎/‎2020 at 6:10 PM, sonic360 said:

This sounds like the best option. Not only would it help curb the scalper problem, having their own store means they could sell the figures the way theyre supposed to be seen. There are a number of posters who wag their fingers at the rest of us when we say we want the figures (primarily female figures) to look as they do in the comics, stating this or that group would find it objectionable, and the retailer doesn't need the hassle, so that forces the action figure producers to alter the figure so it can be sold in store along with "kid/mom friendly" toys. Whether you agree with that premise or not, Hasbro selling on their own platform eliminates that issue.

• Like 1