Todd McFarlane Interview - DC Multiverse, Spawn Figures, Spawn Movie, Mortal Kombat And Much More

JayC

On 1/10/2020 at 12:39 AM, Neovorticism2 said:

I am surprised that there are  people who take the trouble to sign up just to come and spill their salt with comments like that. Well they make me have a good time reading them. 😂

If someone truly doesn't like something, I think they have every right to voice an opinion. One does hope they've had some type of hands on with the figures before expressing such distaste for them and backing up what exactly they don't like about them certainly would be more helpful in regards if they were really interested in seeing the product improve. Never-the-less if someone doesn't like something for legit reasons, I think its fine if they want to express that opinion here.

On 1/9/2020 at 12:57 PM, JayC said:

Often when you interview people in the toy industry all you end up with are straight talking points which I find to be really boring and tend to be reluctant to want to do.

I know what you mean, that's the thing with big companies. I was watching an interview the other day with the person in charge of the Power Rangers line from Hasbro, and all of the answers reduced to "I can't reveal anything, but there's some cool stuff coming, so keep an eye out". That kinda renders the whole interview uninteresting. 

14 hours ago, DylanRaven055 said:

I know what you mean, that's the thing with big companies. I was watching an interview the other day with the person in charge of the Power Rangers line from Hasbro, and all of the answers reduced to "I can't reveal anything, but there's some cool stuff coming, so keep an eye out". That kinda renders the whole interview uninteresting. 

Well keep in mind, it's only an interview. A carrot being dangled in front of your face to keep you going in the right direction. Their never gonna GIVE you the carrot, just entice you.  Their never gonna make with the company secrets, it'll never give us "the inside track," we're not buddies. These interviews are just a tool to get us to buy their product, and that's anybody, Jesse Falcon, Todd McFarlane, or that guy who used to do interviews for Mattel. No slight against anybody, that's just part of the job description.

Let's face it, if there were still Saturday morning cartoons, and advertisements weren't so expensive, we'd never hear from these guys.

10 hours ago, mako said:

Well keep in mind, it's only an interview. A carrot being dangled in front of your face to keep you going in the right direction. Their never gonna GIVE you the carrot, just entice you.  Their never gonna make with the company secrets, it'll never give us "the inside track," we're not buddies. These interviews are just a tool to get us to buy their product, and that's anybody, Jesse Falcon, Todd McFarlane, or that guy who used to do interviews for Mattel. No slight against anybody, that's just part of the job description.

Let's face it, if there were still Saturday morning cartoons, and advertisements weren't so expensive, we'd never hear from these guys.

I know. What I meant was that Todd, being his own boss, is able to say a bit more than others in the industry, speak more openly about the how or why if something, like his line being 7".

I can understand employees not being too forthcoming, because anything they say can be used against them. In the case of Dwight and the Marvel Legends team each year they get the asked the same kind of questions, I watch the interviews and most of the time it's people asking: "Are you gonna make this character?" "Are you gonna make this character in this outfit?" it gets tiresome. There's always the chance that someone can take something they said and twist the words around in order to get clicks on their website or views on their videos. Do I wish toy companies were more forthcoming with info regarding the lines? Sure, but I understand why they don't.

13 hours ago, DylanRaven055 said:

I know. What I meant was that Todd, being his own boss, is able to say a bit more than others in the industry, speak more openly about the how or why if something, like his line being 7".

Not really. He has to answer to the same people any other business does, stock-holders, shippers, retailers, factories, bean-counters, etc., maybe more since it's his name on the company.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I would think employees of Hasbro and Todd himself are under strict NDAs and can only comment or announce things that have been approved by the licensors (i.e. DC or Marvel).   We see this all the time with actors and directors when the media asks about a Marvel or DC movie. Because of the NDA they can't say much.

I know Diamond/Marvel Select are always asked about what figures they'll be making.  They note they hear the demand but are subject to approval by Marvel on what figures they can actually make.

Additionally, Toy Fair is just around the corner.  So, I figure the toy companies are saving announcements on new figures and toy lines for that event.

Perhaps it's my age, but I don't feel entitled to know what's coming down the pike of new figures.  Sure, I would like to know, but I don't get frustrated when toy makers won't or can't tell us.

As far as the McFarlane DC figure.  So far, I only received the Batman Who Laughs and Hellbat armor.   I thought the Batman Who Laughs would be so much better in some of the comparisons I saw, but he fits in nicely with my Batman Essentials figure and NECA Batman from the Joker Alien 2 pack.