New Netflix Masters of the Universe Series Promo Art Revealed

JayC

UPDATE: We were incorrect in our reporting this art was for the previously announced Kevin Smith MOTU animated series which was announced back in August. Turns out Netflix and Mattel are producing a second MOTU series for the streaming service and that is what this promo art is for. For more details on the second series, see the official press release about it here.

Netflix has revealed this new promo art for the upcoming Masters of the Universe animated series that is being helmed by Kevin Smith.

A young prince discovers a mighty power, and an epic story begins once more! He-Man and the Masters of the Universe wage a new battle against Skeletor in a reimagined take on the classic franchise.

00-Netflix-MOTU-Prop-Poster.jpg

MOTU_HE-MAN_SOURCE.jpg

• Like 1

Hell to the yes! I am so down for this! gimme more MOTU!! and the proper streaming service too! (the only one I have) 

1 hour ago, mako said:

Wait a minute! Kevin Smith is well known for his love of the Degrassi series. Oh God, He-Man's not gonna be a high school kid like on She-Ra is he?

The Kevin Smith series is a direct continuation of the original cartoon. That's been said in every article about it.

This is something completely separate.

6 minutes ago, jedicrippler said:

The Kevin Smith series is a direct continuation of the original cartoon. That's been said in every article about it.

This is something completely separate.

You DO realize this is a Kevin Smith series to, right?

It's been said in every article about it. 🙄

5 hours ago, mako said:

You DO realize this is a Kevin Smith series to, right?

It's been said in every article about it. 🙄

What's your point? It's literally continuing the original series to give it a proper ending. How is that equating to "He-Man's not gonna be a high school kid like on She-Ra is he?" Seeing as that isn't what the original show was about.

Heck, if Adam Sandler can make a movie that isn't an idiotic comedy about him as a bumbling moron, anything is possible.

• Like 1

So yeah I screwed up. The promo art is for a second MOTU series coming to Netflix, not the Kevin Smith one announced back in August. This is the full press release about the new show:

Press release: NETFLIX AND MATTEL TELEVISION HAVE THE POWER TO BRING ALL-NEW ANIMATED ADVENTURE SERIES "HE-MAN AND THE MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE" TO A NEW GENERATION OF KIDS AND FAMILIES AROUND THE WORLD

- Netflix and Mattel Television are producing an original animated adventure series, He-Man and the Masters of the Universe.

-The CG animated series will reimagine the Masters of the Universe classic tale with all-new storylines and a fresh take on the iconic characters.

- This marks the second collaboration between Netflix and Mattel Television, joining the previously announced 2D anime series Masters of the Universe: Revelation with Kevin Smith.

- Logline: On the planet of Eternia, a young lost prince discovers the powers of Grayskull and transforms into He-Man, Master of the Universe! The classic battle between He-Man and evil Skeletor rages to new heights as both hero and villain forge new and mighty teams. A new generation of heroes fighting for the fate of us all. In the end, who will become MASTER OF THE UNIVERSE?

- The series is being produced by Mattel Television with Adam Bonnett (Descendants), Christopher Keenan (Justice League, Batman Beyond), and Rob David (Masters of the Universe: Revelation, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles) serving as executive producers. The series was developed for television by Rob David.

Emmy-winning producer and designer Jeff Matsuda (The Batman, TMNT) and Susan Corbin (Voltron) will also produce.

Bryan Q Miller (Arrow, Smallville, Sleepy Hollow) will serve as story editor on the series.

Animation services are being provided by House of Cool and CGCG (Trollhunters).

“Masters of the Universe is one of the most iconic global franchises of all time, with a 30-year history and a passionate fan base. The entire team at Mattel is excited to introduce the world of He-Man to a new generation and, together with the talented team at Netflix, to reimagine the classic characters in a way that appeals to kids and families today, while also resonating with the fans who grew up with them.” - Fred Soulie, Senior Vice President of Content Distribution and Business Development, Mattel.

Mattel’s (NASDAQ: MAT) reboot of the classic Masters of the Universe franchise also includes a comic book series by DC Comics (available now), reimagined versions of the 80s toys

MOTU_HE-MAN_SOURCE.jpg

I assume this second series is going to be more targeted to younger kids similar to what we have seen with the She-Ra series though He-Man does still seem to be an adult based on the promo art. The tagline for the show indicates perhaps Prince Adam is a teenager but I can live with that. That was pretty much how they did it in the 2000x series. Don't know if this show will have a direct tie-in with the She-Ra series like the old He-Man and She-Ra cartoons did but I think it will be aimed at the same age demographic. My feeling is the Kevin Smith one perhaps will be geared a bit more to the adults who grew up on the original series. That being said based on the press release, the talent behind this new show has dipped their hands in other shows I think many of us have enjoyed so that is a good sign this might be good.

10 hours ago, SpiderS said:

Hm... Two separate unrelated shows? I dunno if this is a good idea, if anything it will confuse a lot of casual viewers. 

Makes since to me. You have one show to get all topical and trendy, and one to appease the die-hard fans. Less chance of ending up with another Star Wars debacle that way.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Neovorticism2 said:

Now I wonder when it will be released and what are Mattel's plans regarding merchandise. I hope we don't have to wait until next fall to see MoTU merchandise coming back to retail.

The way Mattel's been milking MOTU for every penny they could, since before Classics, I just don't see them NOT taking advantage of two high-profile shows.

• Like 1

On 12/19/2019 at 11:02 AM, Neovorticism2 said:

Now I wonder when it will be released and what are Mattel's plans regarding merchandise. I hope we don't have to wait until next fall to see MoTU merchandise coming back to retail.

MOTU stuff we saw at the cons is still on track to be released early to mid year time frame I believe. We will see the toys hit I think before the show.

The streaming environment has really changed the playing field. With everyone picking from extensive libraries, it kinda makes sense to make multiple versions of your property available. You can capture all the targeted demographics at once, go after the older existing fan base with the nostalgic material while building a new one with updated concepts for the current times. The competition for air time is fading away. All in all, it’s a good deal IMO.