Noah Hawley In Final Talks To Write & Direct Next 'Star Trek' Film

Outsiders

Deadline is reporting that Paramount Pictures is in final talks with Noah Hawley to write and direct the next Star Trek film.  Hawley would produce through his 26 keys production company along with JJ Abrams and his Bad Robot banner.

Hawley currently serves as executive producer, writer, director and showrunner on FX’s Emmy-winning limited series Fargo. He currently is in production on the fourth season, which stars Chris Rock, with Hawley directing the first episodes. Both series are produced under Hawley’s 26 Keys.

The latest Star Trek movie was released in 2016 from Paramount and was directed by Fast & Furious 6 director Justin Lin.

Paramount is also working with Quentin Tarantino and Abrams on a Star Trek spinoff that would likely carry an R rating, with a screenplay by The Revenant scribe Mark L. Smith.  Tarantino would direct the spinoff film.

Noah_Hawley.jpg

IDK, the Tarantino thing never interested me much. Sorry but Tarantino IMO is not a good fit for Star Trek. I liked the first Chris Pine Trek movie but the following two were not that great. You have the death of the actor who played Checkov which means you either have to replace him with new actor or remove Checkov from the story. I really feel like Paramount should put its focus on the TV shows and hold of on movies for a while.

I kind of have to agree with you, while I enjoyed the firs Star Trek movie that Abrams made, I didn't care for the second one and I haven't seen the third one yet. I also don't think Tarantino may be an ideal fit for Star Trek, it just doesn't fit his style and lately his movies are too talky for my tastes. I'm not a fan of Star Trek nor I am knowledgeable in the franchise lore but I always got the impression that people like to discuss the different series more than the movies, with the exception of maybe Wrath of Kahn, so maybe they should put their focus on tv series.

Abrams Star Trek trilogy is definitely the most underrated franchise, these movies are definitely better than prequel and sequel trilogy of Star Wars. I really doesn’t get how come that it gets not attention at all when it’s really a quality sci fi trilogy. As for Tarantino, I would literally kill to see his take on Star Trek, it’s not interesting what can he to creatively, and big name director like him could really bring needed attention to the Star Trek franchise.  

23 minutes ago, SpiderS said:

Abrams Star Trek trilogy is definitely the most underrated franchise, these movies are definitely better than prequel and sequel trilogy of Star Wars. I really doesn’t get how come that it gets not attention at all when it’s really a quality sci fi trilogy. As for Tarantino, I would literally kill to see his take on Star Trek, it’s not interesting what can he to creatively, and big name director like him could really bring needed attention to the Star Trek franchise.  

It's best to compare Abrams Star Trek movies to the other Star Trek movies.  As a Star Trek fan, the first and third movies rank pretty much right in the middle for me, and the second one I'd put between Insurrection and Final Frontier at the bottom.  That movie was was a spectacular failure. 
As for Tarantino, I certainly wouldn't kill to see a Star Trek movie from him, but I would very much like to see it, all the same.

I rank Star Trek movies as follows from best to worst.

Star Trek II The Wrath Of Khan

Star Trek III The Search For Spock

Star Trek First Contact

Star Trek IV The Voyage Home

Star Trek (First Chris Pine Movie)

Star Trek The Motion Picture (The movie drags but love the visuals and music)

Star Trek The Undiscovered Country

Star Trek Generations

Star Trek V The Final Frontier

Star Trek Insurrection

Star Trek Beyond

Star Trek Nemesis

Star Trek Into Darkness

11 hours ago, JayC said:

IDK, the Tarantino thing never interested me much. Sorry but Tarantino IMO is not a good fit for Star Trek. I liked the first Chris Pine Trek movie but the following two were not that great. You have the death of the actor who played Checkov which means you either have to replace him with new actor or remove Checkov from the story. I really feel like Paramount should put its focus on the TV shows and hold of on movies for a while.

Chekov was replaced in the Animated Series with Arex, a six limbed alien. I think it would be fine to replace the character with an interesting looking deep lore Trek character especially given the situation. I love Hawley's work on Fargo and Legion, so I welcome a Trek film from him! I'm not as much a fan of Tarantino's work but I'd also love to see what he comes up with. The last three Abams Trek films have been in declining profits so to have these very talented people attached to Trek films can generate the much needed buzz to get financing to make more Trek. At this point it's the smartest thing they can do.

Just as long as the keep the vile Orci and Kurtzman away from these Trek movies, I'll be happy.

Arex would be great to see in Chekov's place in the next movie.  I'd like to see M'Ress, too, but I don't think it will happen.
Kurtzman and Orci won't work together anymore, so at least one will stay away, but with him being Star Trek's Kevin Feige for CBS, it seems unlikely that Kurtzman will be completely uninvolved.  There is, however, a possibility that with the re-merger of Viacom and CBS, someone at Paramount will decide Kurtzman shouldn't be involved, but like I said, it's unlikely.