Sony Pictures Optioning To Release 'Masters Of The Universe' For Netflix

Outsiders

Sony Pictures has March 2021 marked on the calendar for their 'Masters of the Universe' film release and the studio might just have the release set for Netflix instead of theaters.

Sony Pictures chairman Tom Rothman is looking at the option of getting risk-free cash for the pricey project by making it for Netflix instead.  The studio is just in talks as of now, but such a deal would make Sony the next studio after Paramount to start making movies belonging exclusively or almost exclusively to the streamer.

Since Sony has been developing 'Masters of the Universe' since 2007, perhaps making it that much less appealing to sell given that the studio finally has a version that it wants to make.  Sony would base the sale on Netflix having the She-Ra and The Princesses of Power series and the upcoming Kevin Smith He-Man anime series.

Source: The Hollywood Reporter

I gave up on this project nearly 10 years ago. Somehow it still seems to be moving backwards. 1 step forward, 2 steps back.

Next Announcement will be: "oh, main actor of the movie doesn't want to be a netflix star. He-Man movie is recasting."

Following Announcement will be: "Director doesn't want to do movie without his main actor. He-Man movie is seeking new director."

Then, "We got a new director, but he wants to write a new script. Movie delayed."

After all of that, "Netflix loses interest in proceeding with He-Man movie. Sony starts over!"

I have no problem with watching it on Netflix, in fact would prefer it to having to go to the movie theater, but I do wonder how retailers will view it and if they will still be willing to carry MOTU product with only a Netflix released movie.

8 hours ago, Neovorticism2 said:

Well, Netflix is too damn popular, almost everyone has Netflix now and there'll be an animated series and a movie, do you think that will not be enough for retailers to be interested?

No I don't because its all about perception and studios don't seem to put as much into marketing for stuff that goes directly to Netflix as they do for stuff that goes into theaters. Part of it I believe is because Netflix doesn't share their viewing data so no one really knows how many people watch something or not. Show me something on Netflix that has had a hugely successful toyline backing it. Voltron failed at retail. Stranger Things which is arguably Netflix's most successful show to date gets a few action figures put out in limited numbers and even those seem to basically warm the pegs.   I could be wrong but if this goes straight to Netflix I don't see it givng Mattel the boost they were hoping for if it were released in theaters. Just look how the news is being covered about the possibility, as if the movie is a failure right out of the gate and not good enough for theaters.