NECA Buys Bankrupt Loot Crate And Offers New Tek-Shield Batman Figure

JayC

Yesterday it was announced that Joel Weinshanker who also owns NECA Toys will now hold controlling interest in the formerly bankrupt gamer and geek subscription box service Loot Crate Inc. 

Hot on the heals of that news looks to be a new joint venture between the two companies Loot Create and NECA where you can get a Kenner tribute 7” Tek-Shield Batman figure from NECA, if you are or sign up for the Loot Crate service. This figure which appears to be a repainted version of NECA’s Michael Keaton Batman figure looks to be available until October 7.

D3DFB8B4-30E4-491A-8FBE-0E99E661ACE3.jpeg

Two weeks ago I already bought a NECA Batman 1989 on ebay. I'm happy with it but this does raise some eyebrows. Will NECA be able to offer reissues of older lines?

Not a fan of any of these services or mystery crates.  They are overpriced and if you’re lucky there would likely be only one item in the crate you would actually pay for which means you’re at best paying for basically that inflated price for one item.  No thanks, I’d rather spend that money on Collectibles I actually want. 

I really hope making key NECA figures exclusive to Loot Crate doesn’t become part of the strategy of saving loot crate from failure (I suspect such a move would just sink both ships).  

I had done the Loot Crate and other mystery box subs and they are a big waste of money and not worth the effort. Some even Loot Crate themselves makes it hard to even unsubscribe from them. Ive had times where I got conned into buy more crates than I wanted and couldnt get my money back. They have a no refund policy. Its utter BS. mystery box of sh!t that no one wants. Most of their garbage theyd put in the boxes were left over swag from conventions and whatever other promo stuff from other avenues with some original things mixed in. I was really glad to hear they went bankrupt and not a fan of NECA buying them up to potentially use them as an action figure subscription service. Bluefin is already starting to do this action figure mystery box shenanigans and Im thinking its going to be a trend with some of these companies. The whole "mystery" box gacha schemes are everywhere now in video games and collecting. 

I have never purchased a lootcrate as I didn't believe in buying sight unseen, however I do have purchased collector boxes where they have a small picture of what you are getting and the majority were items I would probably get.

On 10/9/2019 at 11:34 AM, Thinwheat said:

LootCrate was just a subscription box full of Happy Meal quality junk. So glad I don't see YouTubers pushing that garbage anymore. 

LootCrate isnt the only mystery box subscription service. There is an absurd amount of companies that do that and its not just in gaming and nerd culture. Hell even Bluefin is doing mystery boxes. A smart marketing ploy to get rid of unwanted stock thats not selling very well and call it a happy surprise to people that think they are getting a good deal.