Mattel Launches Gender Inclusive Doll Line Inviting All Kids to Play

JayC

Mattel, Inc.today announced the global unveil of Creatable World, a customizable doll line offering endless combinations all in one box. Creatable World invites kids to create their own characters. Extensive wardrobe options, accessories and wigs allow kids to style the doll with short or long hair, or in a skirt, pants, or both.

“Toys are a reflection of culture and as the world continues to celebrate the positive impact of inclusivity, we felt it was time to create a doll line free of labels,” said Kim Culmone, Senior Vice President of Mattel Fashion Doll Design. “Through research, we heard that kids don’t want their toys dictated by gender norms. This line allows all kids to express themselves freely which is why it resonates so strongly with them. We’re hopeful Creatable World will encourage people to think more broadly about how all kids can benefit from doll play.”

Mattel worked alongside a dedicated team of experts, parents, physicians and most importantly, kids, to create this one-of-a-kind play experience.

The Creatable World doll line consists of six different doll kits that are available in a variety of skin tones. Each kit includes one doll, two hairstyle options and endless styling possibilities. The product has a suggested retail price of $30 and can be purchased at major retailers online including Amazon, Target and Walmart. For more information, please visit www.CreatableWorld.com.

canvas_doll-lineup_6.jpg

• Like 2

From a marketing standpoint its somewhat genius making a product both boys and girls can play with therefore providing the potential of doubling sales. From a social standpoint, well you have to ask yourself, if your a guy would you as a kid have been embarrassed to be caught playing with dolls or Barbie, if so why??? Because social standards of the time dictated so. You would be deemed less "macho" if you were caught playing with such a thing. Would you be less bothered if a girl played with action figures or if a boy played with dolls???

I can tell you as someone who grew up in the 80's, if you were caught playing with dolls, the general response would be you must be "gay" and would be ridiculed for such a thing. Even today if I saw a boy playing with dolls my first knee-jerk thought would be along the lines of they must be less masculine for wanting to play with dolls though I would not make fun of someone for that, but why does it even need to be less "masculine"?

Like it or not, times are changing and something like this is trying to tear down those social barriers which is most easily done by reaching people at a young age. Some people I'm sure will view it as trying to make boys "wussies" or the like but again that's a sterotype I suppose these toys are trying to change.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, mikehhh said:

Whatever. Just bring back He-man already. 

You know that's probably exactly why Mattel is doing this. With a new He-Man line hitting soon, they're gonna have one of the most boyettic, machismo drenched lines you could possibly have: swords, monsters, barbarians skull-faced bad-guys, the whole nine yards.

In our world full of narrow-minded, big-mouthed SJW A-hats, they're probably scared crapless some special interest group is gonna crucify them (and they're probably right). So they roll out the most deranged, sickening, harmful piece of pandering BS I've ever seen. Feeding the lions as it were. To bad no one told them, the more you placate these psychos, the more they're gonna want.

BTW: When someone says the sky is green, and you say: "No, it's blue." That's not "hate," that's common sense.

3 hours ago, mako said:

You know that's probably exactly why Mattel is doing this. With a new He-Man line hitting soon, they're gonna have one of the most boyettic, machismo drenched lines you could possibly have: swords, monsters, barbarians skull-faced bad-guys, the whole nine yards.

In our world full of narrow-minded, big-mouthed SJW A-hats, they're probably scared crapless some special interest group is gonna crucify them (and they're probably right). So they roll out the most deranged, sickening, harmful piece of pandering BS I've ever seen. Feeding the lions as it were. To bad no one told them, the more you placate these psychos, the more they're gonna want.

BTW: When someone says the sky is green, and you say: "No, it's blue." That's not "hate," that's common sense.

I doubt it has anything  to do with MOTU, it does however have to do with marketing and taking advance of current trends which you may deem as appeasing “SJW” which honestly has become such way over used term on the internet. Obviously this isn’t going to be for everyone, but if this is something that makes someone mad or upset then they should really look into themselves and think about why that is. Like I say, not for everyone but def nothing here for anyone to be upset or mad about.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, JayC said:

it does however have to do with marketing and taking advance of current trends

It definitely does. I mean, this is basically just a line of fully customizable dolls, advertised as being in line with inclusiveness. I see no wrong here, just more options for kids to play, and yes perhaps a broader market for Mattel. In the end, sales will tell if this is a good or "ridiculous" idea. 

Personally I wouldn't buy any because I don't like the designs, specifically the faces and clothing choices, I much prefer their Wild Hearts Crew line. 

• Like 4

Look at us grown ups discussing if dolls for children should or shouldn't be marketed as "SJW BS". Personally, I think this is great. It's all about representation, these dolls are avatars for the kids that play with them. I remember playing with my sisters and them being upset that I didn't have action figures they could be, and me being upset I they didn't have dolls I could be. These just give options, if it's progressive marketed and helps it's sales, great, but in reality it's just getting options.

Time will tell, but let's be honest, this is either for the children to decide or the collectors, we SJW rarely afford to have children.

• Like 4

On 9/26/2019 at 9:58 AM, memocromatico said:

Look at us grown ups discussing if dolls for children should or shouldn't be marketed as "SJW BS". Personally, I think this is great. It's all about representation, these dolls are avatars for the kids that play with them. I remember playing with my sisters and them being upset that I didn't have action figures they could be, and me being upset I they didn't have dolls I could be. These just give options, if it's progressive marketed and helps it's sales, great, but in reality it's just getting options.

Time will tell, but let's be honest, this is either for the children to decide or the collectors, we SJW rarely afford to have children.

Uh, if "Us Grown-Ups" don't discuss this, who will. Not children, they're children, it's not their job to look out for themselves.

In any case, this has nothing to do with representation, inclusiveness or any of those other Pop catch-phrases. This, at best, is a toy company trying to cash in on an unstable and easily manipulated sociopolitical climate. At worst, its yet ANOTHER case of a statistically insignificant, but highly vocal, deviant sub-culture trying to convince themselves they're not as screwed up as they know, deep down, they are; by forcing everyone to accept their warped view as reality. A gambit that's only gotten this fat because of our weird modern-day "Everything's Okay" mentality.

30 minutes ago, mako said:

Uh, if "Us Grown-Ups" don't discuss this, who will. Not children, they're children, it's not their job to look out for themselves.

In any case, this has nothing to do with representation, inclusiveness or any of those other Pop catch-phrases. This, at best, is a toy company trying to cash in on an unstable and easily manipulated sociopolitical climate. At worst, its yet ANOTHER case of a statistically insignificant, but highly vocal, deviant sub-culture trying to convince themselves they're not as screwed up as they know, deep down, they are; by forcing everyone to accept their warped view as reality. A gambit that's only gotten this fat because of our weird modern-day "Everything's Okay" mentality.

I'm not okay with you calling it "statistically insignificant, but highly vocal, deviant sub-culture", and yet here we stand. If you have children you can nurture the values you see fit, and buy them the toys you deem appropriate, but a company giving choices, options, for people who seek representation is ok in my book. If it doesn't harm anyone, but rather benefits, why would it be wrong?

Would I buy these? Unlikely. I don't collect dolls. If I had kids, and they asked me to buy one of these, would I? Sure, as long as they finish their chores. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, mako said:

See where you keep shooting yourself in the foot is by throwing out some blanket statement phrases.  I won't touch these things with a 10 foot pole...BUT I wasn't the target anyways.  I think a lot of white dudes/people miss the fact that most action figures/dolls.....are white people.  That's not a slam...it's just a fact...and EVERYONE accepted that fact.  At least 95% of my action figure collection is white...some of my fav characters are white, and it's cool.

This is a company realizing that there are MORE than white people out there.  That's all.  Say what you will about the apparent transgenderness of this...but there are representations of Black people, multi ethnic people, Asian people, Latinos....they buy stuff as well.  Speaking freely I know I tend to gravitate more towards either armored/masked figs or Black figs...because I can identify with them but that's few and far between (I'm in the midst of kitbashing a Mythic Legions fig...looking for a Otho or Black dude head).  This line will mean quite a bit to a good deal of people.  And it's rather disheartening to read people make it about a "SJW"  or sociopolitical issue.  It's not.  In a backhanded way...it seems more about a sect of people who thought nothing when every fig/doll looked like them now being upset because a company is realizing that there are even more people out there who don't look like the historically targeted demographic and are willing to purchase items...especially if they can instill pride and acknowledgement because the item they have looks like them.  

Just think about it that way.  Like I said...I'm not touching these...but I know there are countless kids/parents out there who will truly appreciate the options this gives them.

• Like 5

But how are you going to be able to have a figure with long hair or short hair? Did I read that right? Swappable heads or something? Surely the figures in these images aren't wearing "wigs" like the statement says, they look like rooted hair, but maybe those are just some really impressive wigs. 

I also wonder where they'll put them? With the Barbie merchandise I suppose, but that seems to undercut the point of the whole thing. 

So this isn’t really something I personally feel like getting drawn into debating on a toy forum site thus I’m just going to point out this:

Once upon a time it was looked down upon for an adult to collect toys.  Toys were for “kids only” and any adult still into toys (or still wearing T-shirt’s with Comic book or cartoon characters, etc) were perceived as having something wrong with them to where they never grew up or matured.  If you were male and still into toys/superheroes/etc. it also meant that you were seen as a man child and thus deemed less masculine because you were into “kids stuff”. Commonly people’s first gut reaction upon finding out an adult was still into toys and action figures and comic books would be to judge that person as lacking maturity and lacking the skills to be a responsible adult/provider/spouse/parent/etc. Some would even go so far as to suspect that any adult male still into toys might be a deviant and a pervert.  And for decades there was no market for adult toy collectors because society had decided that adults were either: a) “normal” thus stopped being into toys a long time or b) weird and broken because you were still into “kids stuff”

Luckily for everyone on this website those attitudes and narrow minded judgments held by past generations  about adult toy collectors have evolved and become less narrow minded overtime.  

Does the cliche of “real boys don’t play with dolls, dolls are only for girls” really have any more merit than the rejected cliche that “real adults don’t buy action figures, action figures are only for kids”? 

• Like 4

I think this is a positive thing to do, I see nothing wrong with being inclusive, now I do realize that this will not sit well with some people but I just think Mattel is doing something here that will ultimately be looked at as a positive step forward. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, slugzilla said:

Wow. I'm so sick of progressives trying to force this kind of crap onto my kids. It's freaking ridiculous. When these make it to brick and mortar retailers I'm going to buy up every one I see just to burn the damn things.

Do you really think the toy companies or retailers will care why you buy them? Your money is just as good to them regardless of what you do with them. They will just make more. Nobody is forcing anything on you either. This isn't replacing anything, its an additional option and if you and or your kids aren't interested in it then don't buy it. However whatever will you do if your kids decide they like it????

• Like 2

On 9/27/2019 at 11:01 AM, mako said:

Are you sure your not the statistically insignificant, but highly vocal, deviant sub-culture trying to convince themselves of something???? Are you privy to data the rest of us aren't about the number of people who may or may not be interested in these, if so please share, otherwise maybe you should refrain from trying to insult people for no reason other than being mad at the world because it doesn't fit your narrative.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, JayC said:

Do you really think the toy companies or retailers will care why you buy them? Your money is just as good to them regardless of what you do with them. They will just make more. Nobody is forcing anything on you either. This isn't replacing anything, its an additional option and if you and or your kids aren't interested in it then don't buy it. However whatever will you do if your kids decide they like it????

I know they won't care, but it'll sure make me happy keeping these things off the shelves at least in my area assuming they are at some point released in stores.

While I'm generally not fond of scalpers or their practices, in this case I think I will be adopting their methods. Myself and my relatively large personal network of collectors, friends, associates, & other assets have already agreed upon an arrangement to make these things impossible to obtain in this city.

I am fortunate enough to be in a financial position to essentially put a bounty on these dolls. Within a matter of days, every collector in my city will know that purchasing these dolls (if and when they hit the shelves) and delivering them to me will earn them a 30% profit per purchase.

Going forward from there, I will be holding public celebratory gatherings that feature the burning of these dolls, at every opportunity I am afforded. There will be a raffle, the winner of which will earn the honor of lighting the fire. The first will occur when I have obtained either 1,000 or 5,000 of the dolls (I haven't decided on the number yet) and will continue indefinitely every few months.

Again, these plans will only go forward if and when these dolls become available at brick and mortar retailers. And of course, other options are also being explored along the line of boycott's, protests etc.

Your argument that these dolls are just another option & that nothing is being forced on anyone is either disingenuous or ignorant at best. This is yet another attempt by progressives to blur the lines of gender and confuse venerable children. More unwanted indoctrination in the form of a new trojan horse. Somehow I suspect we will not be agreeing on these issues however, as what I have said is far from politically correct and is based more on fact and logic rather than feelings and emotions.

Where I get that this is a marketing strategy, Mattel is still a company out to make money, I think this is more of a strategy to get people talking about physical toys. A lot of small kids seem to rather have video games, phones or tablets, which I think has less creativity to them. I do think that kids should be pushed to more toys. They should also have the ability to pick out their own toys and play with them how they want to. If kids like these dolls, let them play.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JHS1988 said:

Where I get that this is a marketing strategy, Mattel is still a company out to make money, I think this is more of a strategy to get people talking about physical toys. A lot of small kids seem to rather have video games, phones or tablets, which I think has less creativity to them. I do think that kids should be pushed to more toys. They should also have the ability to pick out their own toys and play with them how they want to. If kids like these dolls, let them play.

Yes, clearly if a child likes something and wants it, we parent's should just step aside and let them go wild! It's brilliant! What could possibly go wrong?

22 minutes ago, memocromatico said:

Real heroes here. Saving Mattel from bankrupt by buying out these dolls because they don't align with their world view. So happy Mattel will see these dolls selling out and decide to make more. Beautiful. 

Yeah, hate to disappoint, but it's going to take a lot more than me to save Mattel from themselves. Lol