2019 Power-Con Recap - Super7 TMNT, ThunderCats, Conan And MOTU ReAction

JayC

Mattel wasn't the only company to make a number of exciting announcements at this past weekend's Power-Con convention. Super7 debuted a number of new 7" scale Ultimates action figure lines which included ThunderCats, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and the original Conan The Barbarian move. Besides that they had on hand some new Masters of the Universe ReAction figures. Be sure to check out new detailed images from Shakil Assi of everything shown by Super7 at the event below in our GALLERY.

ThunderCats Ultimates

For ThunderCats we had already seen the first wave which was announced earlier in the week. This wave includes Lion-O, Panthro, Jakalman and Mummy Mumm-Ra, all of which had been previously released under Mattel. The figures now include additional accessories and will cost $45 each.

No other specific figures were announced, but Super7 did put out the release schedule for the first five waves, each containing 4 figures. Here is how the dates break down.

ThunderCats release schedule:
Wave 1 - Now
Wave 2 - January 2020
Wave 3 - April 2020
Wave 4 - July 2020
Wave 5 - October 2020

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Ultimates

While Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles figures had been teased by Super7 back in February during Toy Fair, I think it surprised us all when they debuted the first wave of figures here at Power-Con. The first wave features figures of Raphael, Baxter Stockman Foot Soldier and Splinter. Like with the ThunderCats figures these will be packed with a lot of accessories. The designs of the figures are based on the original toyline from Playmates and likely will cost $45 each.

Besides showing the first wave Super7 also announced the released schedule for the first 5 waves.

TMNT release schedule:
Wave 1 - October 2019
Wave 2 - March 2020
Wave 3 - June 2020
Wave 4 - September 2020
Wave 5 - December 2020

Conan The Barbarian Ultimates

Another surprise Super7 had for us this weekend was the announcement that they would be doing figures based on the original Arnold Schwarzenegger Conan the Barbarian movie. They showed off 3 of the 4 figures in the first wave which include Conan, Rexor and Thorgrim. While not officially announced, it was strongly hinted that the 4th figure in the wave would be Thulsa Doom (James Earl Jones).

All these lines are being sculpted by The Four Horsemen who previously did work for Super7 with the Masters of the Universe Classics stuff which does seem to be on at least temporary hiatus.

MOTU ReAction

Horde members Grizzlor, Modulok and Mantenna made their debut at Power-Con this weekend.

2019-Power-Con-Super7-ThunderCats-TMNT-Conan 1.jpg

2019-Power-Con-Super7-ThunderCats-TMNT-Conan 2.jpg

2019-Power-Con-Super7-ThunderCats-TMNT-Conan 3.jpg

2019-Power-Con-Super7-ThunderCats-TMNT-Conan 4.jpg

2019-Power-Con-Super7-ThunderCats-TMNT-Conan 5.jpg

2019-Power-Con-Super7-ThunderCats-TMNT-Conan 6.jpg

2019-Power-Con-Super7-ThunderCats-TMNT-Conan 7.jpg

2019-Power-Con-Super7-ThunderCats-TMNT-Conan 8.jpg

2019-Power-Con-Super7-ThunderCats-TMNT-Conan 9.jpg

2019-Power-Con-Super7-ThunderCats-TMNT-Conan 10.jpg

2019-Power-Con-Super7-ThunderCats-TMNT-Conan 11.jpg

2019-Power-Con-Super7-ThunderCats-TMNT-Conan 12.jpg

2019-Power-Con-Super7-ThunderCats-TMNT-Conan 13.jpg

2019-Power-Con-Super7-ThunderCats-TMNT-Conan 14.jpg

2019-Power-Con-Super7-ThunderCats-TMNT-Conan 15.jpg

2019-Power-Con-Super7-ThunderCats-TMNT-Conan 16.jpg

2019-Power-Con-Super7-ThunderCats-TMNT-Conan 17.jpg

2019-Power-Con-Super7-ThunderCats-TMNT-Conan 18.jpg

2019-Power-Con-Super7-ThunderCats-TMNT-Conan 19.jpg

2019-Power-Con-Super7-ThunderCats-TMNT-Conan 20.jpg

2019-Power-Con-Super7-ThunderCats-TMNT-Conan 21.jpg

2019-Power-Con-Super7-ThunderCats-TMNT-Conan 22.jpg

2019-Power-Con-Super7-ThunderCats-TMNT-Conan 23.jpg

2019-Power-Con-Super7-ThunderCats-TMNT-Conan 24.jpg

2019-Power-Con-Super7-ThunderCats-TMNT-Conan 25.jpg

2019-Power-Con-Super7-ThunderCats-TMNT-Conan 26.jpg

2019-Power-Con-Super7-ThunderCats-TMNT-Conan 27.jpg

2019-Power-Con-Super7-ThunderCats-TMNT-Conan 28.jpg

2019-Power-Con-Super7-ThunderCats-TMNT-Conan 29.jpg

2019-Power-Con-Super7-ThunderCats-TMNT-Conan 30.jpg

2019-Power-Con-Super7-ThunderCats-TMNT-Conan 31.jpg

2019-Power-Con-Super7-ThunderCats-TMNT-Conan 32.jpg

2019-Power-Con-Super7-ThunderCats-TMNT-Conan 33.jpg

2019-Power-Con-Super7-ThunderCats-TMNT-Conan 34.jpg

2019-Power-Con-Super7-ThunderCats-TMNT-Conan 35.jpg

2019-Power-Con-Super7-ThunderCats-TMNT-Conan 36.jpg

2019-Power-Con-Super7-ThunderCats-TMNT-Conan 37.jpg

2019-Power-Con-Super7-ThunderCats-TMNT-Conan 38.jpg

2019-Power-Con-Super7-ThunderCats-TMNT-Conan 39.jpg

2019-Power-Con-Super7-ThunderCats-TMNT-Conan 40.jpg

2019-Power-Con-Super7-ThunderCats-TMNT-Conan 41.jpg

2019-Power-Con-Super7-ThunderCats-TMNT-Conan 42.jpg

2019-Power-Con-Super7-ThunderCats-TMNT-Conan 43.jpg

2019-Power-Con-Super7-ThunderCats-TMNT-Conan 44.jpg

2019-Power-Con-Super7-ThunderCats-TMNT-Conan 45.jpg

2019-Power-Con-Super7-ThunderCats-TMNT-Conan.jpg

I have to say Super7 had the best reveals at Power-Con, really like the idea of "Ultimates" for these upcoming lines, the Turtles look great, it's going for the vintage toy look which I think is a good thing. The Thundercats are what really gets me excited, these look great hopefully they turn out well. The Conan figures are a surprise, the Arnold likeness is awesome, looking forward to more pics.

This Powercon really brought it this year with all the MOTU goodness. Excited for 2020 the year of MOTU!!

1 hour ago, memocromatico said:

I read someone, somewhere say "so everyone except Playmates can make amazing TMNT figures", and I have to say they're right.

Well that's because Playmates doesn't make their product for the collector. They are all about the kids and parents that buy them and they are basically locked into having to focus mostly on stuff for the current show which I don't think has been that popular. The last show was good and collectors liked it for the most part but not this one.

Playmates tried dipping their toes into the collector market with those 6" figures they did a couple years ago but sales just didn't seem to be there to warrant them doing more.

I do have to wonder with DC Collectibles, NECA and now Super7 all doing collector oriented stuff at the same time, how well any of them will really do.

• Like 1

Are we finally going to get a Mako action figure?! Please let it be so!!! I need 10 of him! I doubt Red Sonja will be seen anytime soon as they need to get 3 licenses for her, the name, movie and actress likeness. I'd bet we'll see a new comic Red Sonja before we see a movie version.

5 hours ago, memocromatico said:

I read someone, somewhere say "so everyone except Playmates can make amazing TMNT figures", and I have to say they're right.

After being caught up with Rise of the tmnt , I can safely say that it's average at best but has really good fighting visuals. The reason 2012 was so investing despite having similar backlash for its "kiddy" redesigns, it was very plot focused from the 1st episode onward while Rise sort of has a plot but refuses to move it forward or explain things properly. 2012 also blended well with previous turtle material & had better control of its tone while Rise feels contemporary & squeezing  too many gags in its limited 12 min episode runtime. It's currently on a seemingly hiatus for new episodes and the toyline has been slow in releasing stuff. I have seen turtles being sold in my area but haven't seen any new waves. 

16 hours ago, JayC said:

I do have to wonder with DC Collectibles, NECA and now Super7 all doing collector oriented stuff at the same time, how well any of them will really do.

I'd think they would overlap and screw each other over, but they're also doing very different things. My money's on NECA and Super7's taking it all since DCC is doing their designs for the movie and not everybody has or will watch it, while the others are banking on nostalgia, and that's selling hard. I'm passing on everything since everything turtles is impossible to get here.

So when do the Thundercats figures come out anyway? I can't find a date from the Super7 website or their Facebook page. With the figures just now going up for preorder, I'd imagine we have a long wait, but that "available now" tag in the display makes it seem like they're imminent. 

This is going to take some budgeting.  Basically if you are all in on these ultimate lines you’ll be looking at over $200 a month every month going to Super7 (not to mention if you also like some of their other lines like reaction then you’re looking at even more).  

Thats a pretty penny just to spend with one toy company each month.  

Don’t need wave 1 but I’m definitely in for future Thundercats waves.  I think TMNT likewise will be to hard to pass up.  So really the only month of “relief” is going to maybe be that 3rd month where S7 is doing some 1 off franchise but even so I’m expecting those too to be tempting more often than not.  For this first 1 off wave (Conan) I’ll definitely need to get Arnold although ideally would want to get all 4.  

On 8/22/2019 at 6:47 AM, InspectorZartan said:

This is going to take some budgeting.  Basically if you are all in on these ultimate lines you’ll be looking at over $200 a month every month going to Super7 (not to mention if you also like some of their other lines like reaction then you’re looking at even more).  

Thats a pretty penny just to spend with one toy company each month.  

Don’t need wave 1 but I’m definitely in for future Thundercats waves.  I think TMNT likewise will be to hard to pass up.  So really the only month of “relief” is going to maybe be that 3rd month where S7 is doing some 1 off franchise but even so I’m expecting those too to be tempting more often than not.  For this first 1 off wave (Conan) I’ll definitely need to get Arnold although ideally would want to get all 4.  

Yeah, I think there's a lot of crossover as far as fan interest goes with these lines. If you're into one, you'll probably be into the others. Super7 is acting like those college professors handing out massive amounts of homework for the week like their class is the only one your taking. haha! 

If it was just Turtles or Thundercats or Conan, I'd be all in, but now that they're all releasing back to back, I'll have to pick and choose as the lines continue.