New Kevin Smith Masters Of The Universe Animated Series Coming To Netflix

JayC

Pixel-Dan lets us know that it was just announced by Kevin Smith (Jay and Slient Bob) at PowerCon today that he was going to be heading up a new Masters of the Universe animated series coming to Netflix which will pick up were the original cartoon left off. The new series is called Masters of the Universe: Revelation. Powerhouse who handled the Castlevania Netflix series will be working on this as well.

Here is a description of the series:

A radical return to Eternia, Revelation is a direct sequel series to the classic era of Masters of the Universe. Featuring fan favorites He-Man, Orko, Cringer and Man-At-Arms, the story pits our heroic warriors and guardians of Castle Grayskull against Skeletor, Evil-Lyn, Beastman and the vile legions of Snake Mountain!

But after a ferocious final battle forever fractures Eternia, it's up to Teela to solve the mystery of the missing Sword of Power in a race against time to prevent the end of the Universe! Her journey will uncover the secrets of Grayskull at last. This is the epic He-Man and the Masters of the Universe saga fans have waited 35 yeas to see!

Stay-tuned for more details as they become available.

MOTU-Revelation.jpg

Really looking forward to seeing this, with Kevin Smith involved I'm feeling confident that this will be decent if not good. Just hope it's nothing like that new She-Ra series, I know some like it but just not for me.

14 minutes ago, 80sboy4 said:

Really looking forward to seeing this, with Kevin Smith involved I'm feeling confident that this will be decent if not good. Just hope it's nothing like that new She-Ra series, I know some like it but just not for me.

Being its anime, has Kevin Smith and picks up were the original left off I dont think its going to be like She-Ra, though it does seem based on the description that Teela will be taking more of a lead role, so I can already hear those who seem to hate female characters in lead roles complaining.

• Like 2

Originally when I saw the pic and description I for some reason thought this was a live action movie announced that was going to pick up where the first live action movie left off. haha. Glad I was completely wrong. Looking forward to this, my only hesitation with this is Im hoping its got its own unique artstyle and isnt like all that poo cartoons that are out lately. Very detail-less and simplistic and just not as appealing. I actually enjoy the new She Ra cartoon surprisingly but I m not completely into it. 

10 minutes ago, EvilHayato said:

Originally when I saw the pic and description I for some reason thought this was a live action movie announced that was going to pick up where the first live action movie left off. haha. Glad I was completely wrong. Looking forward to this, my only hesitation with this is Im hoping its got its own unique artstyle and isnt like all that poo cartoons that are out lately. Very detail-less and simplistic and just not as appealing. I actually enjoy the new She Ra cartoon surprisingly but I m not completely into it. 

My only problem with the she-ra cartoon is they are dragging things out to much. We are through 3 seasons already and we know barley anything about Adora's past or her connection to Eternia. More episodes furthering the overall plot and less about Catra's jealousy of Adora would make it a better show IMO.

As for this show's animation I would guess it will be along the lines of what we see in the Castlevainia Netflix series.

Netflix original animation is where it's at. Just in the few short years they've been making original animated content, they've added some real powerhouse anime and cartoons. A few of their original anime easily make my top 20 favorites list. 
I'm not sure about Kevin to be honest. He'll admit himself that he's not that great of a director, but I guess it isn't really clear how he's involved anyway. Maybe he's just producing. He's a passionate guy though, maybe he is the right choice to helm something like this. 
I'll watch it regardless, I'm pretty excited to see how it is! 

Yesterday the big announcement came out of PowerCon that actor/director Kevin Smith would be heading up a brand new Masters of the Universe anime series called Revelation. Now that the news is out Pixel-Dan was able to catch up and ask Kevin some questions about the show. Check out his interview below.

Some takeaways from the interview is that right now there has been no release date for the series announced which will air on Netflix. Kevin even joked about how long an animated series would take to get made but we will assume this is slated to air sometime in 2020. That seems to be the push anyway.

The animation style is likely going to be similar to that of the current Castlevania anime series which airs on Netflix now. Powerhouse which is the company behind Castlevania are now hard at work on Masters.

Jason Mewes is not He-Man and while Kevin is the showrunner, he indicates the only mark he plans to leave on it is good storytelling and character development. In other words don't expect him to turn Eternia into Clerks.

The show is expected to pickup were the official Filmation series left off also incorporating things like the original mini-comic stories and such. Kevin seemed to hint that even though things are picking up were the original show left off, being on Netflix could allow them to add elements that would make it appealing to kids an adults alike.

Let us know what you think in the COMMENTS SECTION, do you think Kevin Smith up to the task of bringing fans the Masters of the Universe they've been waiting 35 years for?

There''s one plot line that I'd hope the new He-Man series picks up on.  Specifically, about Prince Adam's mom--Queen Marlena.  She has a brief origin story, where she was an astronaut who crash landed on Eternia.  For some reason, that made me think of the Blackstar cartoon--also done by Filmation.

In Blackstar, John Blackstar is an astronaut who winds up on the world of Sagar.  He winds up with the Star Sword, while the Overlord winds up with the Power Sword.  In one episode, John Blackstar's former girlfriend winds up on Sagar; and then manages to return to Earth.  She requests a rescue mission to bring back John Blackstar.

What if this rescue mission accidentally wound up on Eternia, instead of Sagar?

Anyways, I think it would be cool if the new He-Man series brings in the Blackstar TV series.

This is one of those things that can be either really good or really bad, let's hope  it's good.  Hearing that the Castlevania people are involved dampens my enthusiasm but maybe having Kevin Smith onboard instead of Adi Shankar will make things better.

1 hour ago, Belmont13 said:

This is one of those things that can be either really good or really bad, let's hope  it's good.  Hearing that the Castlevania people are involved dampens my enthusiasm but maybe having Kevin Smith onboard instead of Adi Shankar will make things better.

I think the Castlevania people effect the animation style but not the story itself and as I've said before Im willing to deal with less than stellar animation if the story is good.

I'm glad they are picking up from the Filmation series and not starting over again but I hope the tone of the new stories are more in keeping with the 200x series than the original series if that makes sense.

• Like 1

I love Kevin and his works. One thing tho that i cant help noticing is how emaciated he looks. Is he sick? I know he had a death scare like a year or two ago but I cant recall what that was and guessing its tied to that still. Looking at him with his hat now being oversized as well as his coat, it looks like a kid wearing an adults clothes. 

11 minutes ago, EvilHayato said:

I love Kevin and his works. One thing tho that i cant help noticing is how emaciated he looks. Is he sick? I know he had a death scare like a year or two ago but I cant recall what that was and guessing its tied to that still. Looking at him with his hat now being oversized as well as his coat, it looks like a kid wearing an adults clothes. 

I was watching this segment on IMDB where he was interviewing actors on San Diego Comic Con and I couldn't help but notice the same thing, I thought maybe it was age but who knows.

Will John Erwin return? This seems like the right time to start making public appearances. 

5 hours ago, EvilHayato said:

He had a heart attack last February during a stand-up performance. Changed his whole life/diet around after that.

13 hours ago, Belmont13 said:

I was watching this segment on IMDB where he was interviewing actors on San Diego Comic Con and I couldn't help but notice the same thing, I thought maybe it was age but who knows.

I think it is a combination of age and that he has lost a lot of weight in a fairly short amount of time. He changed his life-style habits I believe after having a stroke which was likely due to him being so heavy at the time. 

• Like 1

On 8/20/2019 at 12:42 AM, jedicrippler said:

He had a heart attack last February during a stand-up performance. Changed his whole life/diet around after that.

Yeah funny enough, after I wrote that, like a day later I remembered he had that heart attack scare. Its just crazy because his weight and how he looks still looks unhealthy. You dont get that kind of excess skin from dieting. Most likely he had emergency stomach surgery to take out the fat. Typically that is the only way you get that saggy skin. Losing that kind of weight that fast, the body cant keep up and it gets very elastic. I hope his health has improved and he lives a long life. 

• Like 1