Super7 Teases ThunderCats

JayC

Super 7 has released a teaser for ThunderCats indicating more details will be coming on 8/12. It's still not clear what specifically for ThunderCats they might be doing. Will that be doing 3.75" ReAction figures, 5.5" Retro figures or could they be taking over from Mattel with the larger Classic style figures similar to what they did with Masters of the Universe. Only time will tell.

Super-7-ThunderCats.jpg

• Like 1

This is exciting. 

Actually this was teased somehow during SDCC2019 

Check the interview from the 9:30 time forward.

• Like 1

YESSSSSSS! When they were talking about this in the Pixel Dan interview I got SUPER excited and now that it's officially teased, I'm ready to go! Awesome awesome awesome! Can't wait! Hopefully we get to see some protos at Power Con. HOOOOOOOOOO!!!

9 minutes ago, 80sboy4 said:

I think this will be ReAction figures but do think they will reveal the Classics figures at Power-Con. Hope we get a ultimate Lion-O!

I'm really hoping that if they do 7" scale they do go back and start with a Lion-O instead of picking up where Mattel left off. I'd rather not wait a year into the line before getting a Lion-O figure from Super7. 

21 minutes ago, Neovorticism2 said:

I'm dying of curiosity, but honestly whatever stuff they have planned I doubt I'll be getting it, if it's something similar to TCats classics as much as I'm interested, I want to save myself the unpleasant experience of dealing with their bad service and for that matter their odd QC. As I said before, it's just curiosity.

Super7 have been pretty hit or miss with their QC. I guess I'm glad that we're getting Thundercats stuff from anyone at all rather than getting nothing, which is what we have now. Super7 has made some good stuff, maybe they aren't ideal, but I'm optimistic. 

I snagged a Classic style Lion-O for $80 last year and I love that figure. Hope they make Tigra and Cheetara sooner rather than later.

I only ever bought the Reissue of He Man and Skeletor early this year from them and they seem alright. What's with the hate?

• Haha 1

If in fact they continue the Classics from Mattel (which I assume they will because if they are doing a tease like this only to then come out an announce ReAction figures, I think people would be very pissed) I doubt they will start off giving us Tygra and Cheetarah, at best and if they are smart they will give us 1 of the two in the first wave because they are likely going to want to spread out the figures they know will be in the most demand over the course of multiple waves.

Another big question is, will they make you buy all the figures in a wave or will they sell figures individually. Based on their past track record, they will likely make you buy all of them. So if they come out with a wave that consists of say Lion-O, Mum-Ra, Panthro and Tygra and you have to buy all 4, you have to wonder how many people will be happy with that. I would assume the repeat figures would have some differences from what Mattel gave us but essentially you would have to buy figures you already have to get the ones you want. From a business perspective that makes sense but from the consumer perspective I would guess people won't be happy.

36 minutes ago, Neovorticism2 said:

You've said it sir, hit or miss QC but for what they ask per figure one wouldn't expect hit or miss, one would expect a decent QC, maybe I'm too picky or maybe I'm just asking too much. IDK. I rather get nothing than get a cheaply made product that I'll end up getting rid of it anyway. but that's just me.😉

Super7 is a very small toy company, they started out as a magazine. The problem is they are handling these pretty massive licensed properties which I'm sure come with hefty price tags but likely not producing enough quantities that the overseas factories they deal with give them much priority, nor do they have much sway with. I've never owned a Super7 action figure so I can't personally speak to how good their QC is or isn't, but it really shouldn't be to surprising they are experiencing those type of growing pains that we've seen many other smaller toy companies go through as well.

UPDATE: Today The Four Horsemen who you may remember sculpted the original ThunderCats Classic figures during Mattel's run of the line, re-posted Super7's ThunderCats teaser image from yesterday on their own social media. While not officially confirming anything, this would be a pretty good sign that the Classic figures will be returning under Super7.

Assuming Classics are making a return, there are still a number of big questions collectors are going to be wanting answers for pretty quickly, such as how soon will it take Super7 to release the remaining core team members that Mattel failed to give us. Just to recap, for the good guys, Mattel gave us Lion-O, Panthro, WileyKit and WileyKat before pulling the plug. This left Cheetarah and Tygra missing from the main team. On the bad guy side of things we only got a mummified Mumm-Ra and Jackalman. We know Jaga and Rune figures were made by Mattel but never released.

It seems most unlikely Super7 would give us all the missing characters right off the bat. Companies generally like to spread out the release of the characters they know people will buy mixing them in with those that might not sell as well. The problem is that we've already gone through two companies, Bandai America and Mattel who had the license and did that, but failed to give us complete teams before canceling the lines. Because of this many might be hesitant to start all over, having to buy figures of characters they already have. To make things worse, Super7 has been known to require people to pre-order entire waves of figures as opposed to selling them individually. For a small company like Super7, that really can't afford to be stuck with a lot of unsold merchandise, this kind of practice is somewhat understandable, but it's hard to see how people would be thrilled with the idea of having to buy characters they already got from Mattel in order to get the remaining ones they really want, especially with there always being a chance Super7 would cancel the line themselves before finishing the main characters if things didn't sell well.

Hopefully we will get all those answers next week, either on the 12th or next weekend during the PowerCon convention which Super7 I believe will be attending.

I may be in the minority here, but I wouldn't mind if they gave us a chance to get all the figures again.  Even if they draw it out over multiple waves.  I ordered the ones from mattel but thanks to digital river I never got any of the figures.  I'm not even going to get into how big a mess it was just to get my money back.  

Hopefully some of the QC issues that Super7 has had will be worked out before these come out.  I really hope Grune is part of an early wave.  

Ive heard rumors that Super 7 is planning to continue the Thundercat's Classic line Mattel did but this time arround to diferentiate it a little bit theyll go with the 80's Toy Colors instead of the Cartoon Colors (we might also see throwback Classic Toy Card packaging on these new ones) If this is the case I expect if the first wave is a 4 figure wave we'll probably see 2 re-releases, most likely Lion-O and either Mummy Mum-Ra or Panthro (though I'd Rather they re-release Pumyra and fix her since that first figure had a bunch of issues, mainly that she was out of scale compared to the other characters) and theyll probably just release 2 new figures in that first wave, most likely either Tygra or Cheetara and either a brand new baddie or Yaga or Grune that the molds are already made (we probably wont get 4 all new characters from the begining), there is also a chance theyll pack in new accesories on the re-releases (like alternate heads or maybe a minifig like Snarf, Ma-Mutt or a Bearbill, just to make us want to get the re-releases).

I have my hesitations just like most, we all know that Super 7 has its quality issues, and a big issue is also the matter of re-releases and character lineups, wether Super 7 will continue the trend Bandai and Mattel had that the first wave doesnt do well and we end up again with incomplete teams, so its a matter of weighing our pros and cons to see if Super 7 doing these figures is good for us on a personal level. As far as I can tell these are the mayor pros and cons that can come up.

Pro's:
- Finally Getting Thundercat Figures again (I think this is the most important one) 
- If this is in fact a sort of continuation of the TC Classics line like they did with MOTUC, for people who werent able to get the figures Mattel made, theyll be able to get the characters they misssed the first time.
- For those who did get the Mattel ones this might be a chance to complete the teams (at the very least the main Cats and Mutants)
- We will have to preorder the figures but at least it wont be like Matty Collector times that you had to buy the Yearly Sub that had to reach a certain ammount of subs in order for the figures to be made.

Con's:
- Shotty QC issues on Super 7's End (This is one of the main issues that concern most of us).
- There is a chance we'll have to buy a whole wave, not just individual figures (if we buy directly from Super 7, this can be avoided if you buy from sites like BBTS and such, that will most likely offer the individual figures for a slightly higher price)
- If you alrady have the Mattel ones its very posible we'll have to get a character again just to get the new ones or to get new accesories or extras that will come with the re-released figures.
- Expensive International Shippings on Super 7.
- Production Delays are a constant on Super 7.

I for one am excited just to be able to get new Thundercat figures (and Im hoping these will pair well with the Mattel ones I already have) I just hope with all my might that Super 7 starts moving in the right direction with their QC issues that have been plaguing them, and that this time around the line does well and we get more than just one wave so we can get more characters.

12 hours ago, abnuggler said:

Ive heard rumors that Super 7 is planning to continue the Thundercat's Classic line Mattel did but this time arround to diferentiate it a little bit theyll go with the 80's Toy Colors instead of the Cartoon Colors (we might also see throwback Classic Toy Card packaging on these new ones) If this is the case I expect if the first wave is a 4 figure wave we'll probably see 2 re-releases, most likely Lion-O and either Mummy Mum-Ra or Panthro (though I'd Rather they re-release Pumyra and fix her since that first figure had a bunch of issues, mainly that she was out of scale compared to the other characters) and theyll probably just release 2 new figures in that first wave, most likely either Tygra or Cheetara and either a brand new baddie or Yaga or Grune that the molds are already made (we probably wont get 4 all new characters from the begining), there is also a chance theyll pack in new accesories on the re-releases (like alternate heads or maybe a minifig like Snarf, Ma-Mutt or a Bearbill, just to make us want to get the re-releases).

I have my hesitations just like most, we all know that Super 7 has its quality issues, and a big issue is also the matter of re-releases and character lineups, wether Super 7 will continue the trend Bandai and Mattel had that the first wave doesnt do well and we end up again with incomplete teams, so its a matter of weighing our pros and cons to see if Super 7 doing these figures is good for us on a personal level. As far as I can tell these are the mayor pros and cons that can come up.

Pro's:
- Finally Getting Thundercat Figures again (I think this is the most important one) 
- If this is in fact a sort of continuation of the TC Classics line like they did with MOTUC, for people who werent able to get the figures Mattel made, theyll be able to get the characters they misssed the first time.
- For those who did get the Mattel ones this might be a chance to complete the teams (at the very least the main Cats and Mutants)
- We will have to preorder the figures but at least it wont be like Matty Collector times that you had to buy the Yearly Sub that had to reach a certain ammount of subs in order for the figures to be made.

Con's:
- Shotty QC issues on Super 7's End (This is one of the main issues that concern most of us).
- There is a chance we'll have to buy a whole wave, not just individual figures (if we buy directly from Super 7, this can be avoided if you buy from sites like BBTS and such, that will most likely offer the individual figures for a slightly higher price)
- If you alrady have the Mattel ones its very posible we'll have to get a character again just to get the new ones or to get new accesories or extras that will come with the re-released figures.
- Expensive International Shippings on Super 7.
- Production Delays are a constant on Super 7.

I for one am excited just to be able to get new Thundercat figures (and Im hoping these will pair well with the Mattel ones I already have) I just hope with all my might that Super 7 starts moving in the right direction with their QC issues that have been plaguing them, and that this time around the line does well and we get more than just one wave so we can get more characters.

I don’t doubt there will be some variations with whatever characters they rerelease. For instance Lion-O the most obvious change would be to include a Snarf packin and if we assume a wave will consist of 4 figures I would guess the wave would be Lion-O, Mumm-Ra, Rune and Jaga.  Not sure that will be enough to satisfy collectors who have already been burned twice by the previous companies that held the license but didn’t deliver the core team. 

To fix Pumyra would require a whole new sculpt which I hope they don’t bother with until we get the core members.

8 hours ago, JayC said:

To fix Pumyra would require a whole new sculpt which I hope they don’t bother with until we get the core members.

I agree, Id rather get Cheetara and Tygra first, and even then I would want a redone Pumyra until we knew we were getting Bengali and Linx-O. If I were to choose we'd get a long lasting line of figures (all the Cats, Mutants, Lunatacs, Pirates and Secondary Characters), but Id be content with just getting the core team, the 4 main Mutants and a Mumm-Ra The Inmoral figure.

On 8/10/2019 at 5:33 PM, abnuggler said:

Pro's:

Can't believe I didn't think of that. Matty Collector was a nightmare, good riddance. I've never had a problem preordering from Super7, that is a big plus for me. 

3 hours ago, abnuggler said:

I agree, Id rather get Cheetara and Tygra first, and even then I would want a redone Pumyra until we knew we were getting Bengali and Linx-O. If I were to choose we'd get a long lasting line of figures (all the Cats, Mutants, Lunatacs, Pirates and Secondary Characters), but Id be content with just getting the core team, the 4 main Mutants and a Mumm-Ra The Inmoral figure.

For me, an ideal first wave would include a Cheetara. But I assume they'll keep all of the main team members spread out in different waves. 

Super7 looks to be taking over the ThunderCats Classic line originally started by Mattel and to start things off they are re-issuing 4 of the same figures Mattel already did with added accessories and maybe some variant paint applications. I can't really tell from these images if the paint is the same or not. Similar to what we saw with Masters of the Universe, the line is being called Ultimates.

The figures cost $45 each and here is how the figures breakdown:

Lion-O
Sword Of Omens
Claw Shield
Claw Shield with Sword of Omens
Alternate Claw Shield
Alternate Claw Shield with Sword of Omens
Interchangeable Hands
Interchangeable Head
Book of Omens

Panthro
Sword Of Omens
Claw Shield
Claw Shield with Sword of Omens
Alternate Claw Shield
Alternate Claw Shield with Sword of Omens
Interchangeable Hands
Interchangeable Head
Book of Omens

Jackalman

Club
Axe
Mutant Net Gun
Mutant Guns
Interchangeable Hands
Interchangeable Head

Mummy Mum-Ra
Poseable Fabric Cape with wire insert
Plastic Cape
Staff
Sword of Plun-Darr
Book of Omens Repaint
Thundranium Urn
Rosenkrantz Medallion
Interchangable Head

Each Ultimate Thundercats figure will be packaged in a deluxe slip-case window box with the accessories. No word on a release date but it does appear you can individually pre-order these.

Super7-ThunderCats-Jackalman-01.png

Super7-ThunderCats-Lion-O-02.jpg

Super7-ThunderCats-Lion-O-03.jpg

Super7-ThunderCats-Mumm-Ra-01.png

Super7-ThunderCats-Panthro-01.png

• Like 1