DC — Is Anyone Else Excited for McFarlane stuff?

DustyShelves

Look, I know DC toys have been the subject of hot debate for years now, and McFarlane is no stranger to judgment either, but I can’t be the only one extremely excited by the fact that they’re making D.C. figures right?

Sure, they’ve had their issues in the past, and at this point in time, it feels like D.C. is a piece of Mattel and vice-versa, but I for one and more than ready for change.

I know a lot of people are upset because it seemed like D.C. was finally coming into their element, and those people will probably be very apprehensive to even buying a McFarlane made product.  But the strides the company has made in the last year can not be understated.  Their fortnite figures are great, their Naruto and one Punch Man figures are great, I for one adore their game of thrones stuff, despite being made prior to the change to full articulation.  And I’m super excited for their other upcoming lines like My Hero Academia and Harry Potter.  

I know that some people are apprehensive about the possibility that they will be 7” scale figures.  To be clear, that info came from an unknown source and has no reason to be trusted, but let me defend this decision as best as I can:

A.) This isn’t Mattel.  This isn’t Hasbro. This is McFarlane.  Not only is 7” the companies bread and butter, but they aren’t beholden to their competitors.  They don’t need to attempt to make figures in the same style or scale as them.  I know that most adult collectors have a preferred scale of 6 inches, but let’s not be blind to the fact that NECA toys, though not as big of a player as Mattel or Hasbro, is a collectors favorite company who makes purely 7” scale figures.

and

B.) They might not be true 7” scale.  If the rumors and leaks are to be at all believed, and I don’t believe they should be just yet, then the 7” scale described might not be what we think.  To explain myself, despite the fact that their stranger Things figures, their fortnite figures, and their Harry Potter figures are 7” scale and true, their Call of Duty figures are marketed as a 7” scale line. Now, I don’t know how many out there have bought any figures from the line, but they aren’t 7 inches.  Look at them compared to these marvel legends (picture from the fwoosh’s review).  Sure, legends are a bit larger than a true 6” line, but barely.  So there’s a chance they fit in with 6” stuff after all.

with that being said, I welcome the line with open arms, if not for the very least that it’s something different.  It’s a shift in the current layout of the industry,  I’m excited to see what it is we get.

240E2BBC-E159-4A37-80FD-7B86A5972DC3.png

• Like 1

Being frank i can say for a small note I'm still a rookie for the DC superhero comics and only seen some stuff about them (mostly because i just got binged into the Batman animated series); but that's not much a point here if anything i never minded if a toyline i like or want to be invested to is 6 or 7 inch scale just as long as i get interesting figures of the characters i like and all with excellent detail and decent articulation, had my doubts here and there when i checked some modern mcfarlane toys but at the same time i am still willing to go for Mcfarlane's DC line or more specifically for me a Batman line to go for and collect.

My only two hopes would be if they continued to do some bit more of BTAS stuff here and there, as well as the thought of no BAF figures i really never liked that concept either.

• Like 2

If it’s really 7 inch line, then no. I might get some movie figure or some random looks if they are good enough, Like I did with Dc collectibles, but it think whole point of getting license  was replacing Mattel not Dc collectibles. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Neovorticism2 said:

there is a kind of fan faction that thinks that the industry should revolve only around ML, that all other action figure lines (especially those based on DC) should be done in the image and likeness of ML

I find this to absolutely be the case, and it’s a foolish notion... and I’m a fan of marvel and marvel legends.  Don’t get me wrong, I know the figures are great and extremely popular, but even fans and non-fans such as yourself should know that the line shouldn’t be the blueprint for every figure ever.  Imagine if it were, and various companies took to making their brands in that style, there’s a good chance Legends would look mediocre in comparison.  

This isn’t unique to legends either.  I see it all the time from NECA fans in groups on Facebook or forums.  There’s constant posts of “NECA please make ______”, and half of the time, it’s a property that has Figures already out there from other companies, but no, only NECA could do them properly.  It’s strange.  Let companies do their own thing.

9 hours ago, K9K1N6 said:

Being frank i can say for a small note I'm still a rookie for the DC superhero comics and only seen some stuff about them (mostly because i just got binged into the Batman animated series); but that's not much a point here if anything i never minded if a toyline i like or want to be invested to is 6 or 7 inch scale just as long as i get interesting figures of the characters i like and all with excellent detail and decent articulation, had my doubts here and there when i checked some modern mcfarlane toys but at the same time i am still willing to go for Mcfarlane's DC line or more specifically for me a Batman line to go for and collect.

My only two hopes would be if they continued to do some bit more of BTAS stuff here and there, as well as the thought of no BAF figures i really never liked that concept either.

Yeah no BAF please, differentiate yourself McFarlane 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SpiderS said:

If it’s really 7 inch line, then no. I might get some movie figure or some random looks if they are good enough, Like I did with Dc collectibles, but it think whole point of getting license  was replacing Mattel not Dc collectibles. 

I don’t think they’re replacing anyone, they are the new license holder, they aren’t continuing someone else’s work or trying to improve it.  It’s their own thing 

• Like 1

On 8/7/2019 at 8:21 AM, DustyShelves said:

I don’t think they’re replacing anyone, they are the new license holder, they aren’t continuing someone else’s work or trying to improve it.  It’s their own thing 

Nice attempt at a diplomatic high-road, but it doesn't wash. As you said, "they are the NEW license holder," as in not the OLD license holder. For all intents and purposes they ARE replacing Mattel (at least as far as the Adult Collector lines are concerned). That's nothing against McFarlane or Mattel, that's just the way it is. It happens, out with the old, in with the new. Love it, hate it, accept it.

1 hour ago, mako said:

Nice attempt at a diplomatic high-road, but it doesn't wash. As you said, "they are the NEW license holder," as in not the OLD license holder. For all intents and purposes they ARE replacing Mattel (at least as far as the Adult Collector lines are concerned). That's nothing against McFarlane or Mattel, that's just the way it is. It happens, out with the old, in with the new. Love it, hate it, accept it.

Yeah that may be true 

As a adult collector, I have not owned any McFarlane toys. I can’t wait to see what they do. I have not been a fan of the articulation of most of Mattel’s stuff until the last 2 or 3 waves. I’m more than willing to give them a chance. I want to get a good BatFamily collection going

• Like 1

You know, in the best possible world, Spin Masters would release a 6' inch DC line to sell along side McTodd's  figures the same way Jazwares makes their own 6" versions of the Fortnite figures.

Badda-Bing, everybody's happy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mako said:

You know, in the best possible world, Spin Masters would release a 6' inch DC line to sell along side McTodd's  figures the same way Jazwares makes their own 6" versions of the Fortnite figures.

Badda-Bing, everybody's happy.

Unless they're terrible.

Every item they have shown off besides Fortnite has let me down.  The My Hero Academia articulation looks bad. The One Punch Man looks too lanky, and the joints are ugly.  Mortal Kombat has not shown anything in dynamic poses.  I have very little faith in this line.  I HOPE THEY PROVE ME WRONG.

39 minutes ago, Colt90 said:

Every item they have shown off besides Fortnite has let me down.  The My Hero Academia articulation looks bad. The One Punch Man looks too lanky, and the joints are ugly.  Mortal Kombat has not shown anything in dynamic poses.  I have very little faith in this line.  I HOPE THEY PROVE ME WRONG.

I wouldn't look toward anything McFarlane is putting out now. If he's even half the Toy-Man most of us hope he is, he's busy at work coming up with a whole new articulation scheme. You don't just score a major license like this and then try and skate by on the stuff you have in the backroom.

14 hours ago, mako said:

I wouldn't look toward anything McFarlane is putting out now. If he's even half the Toy-Man most of us hope he is, he's busy at work coming up with a whole new articulation scheme. You don't just score a major license like this and then try and skate by on the stuff you have in the backroom.

I would agree, but looking most of these figures are not even out yet scares me for DC.  For a mass retail $20.00 figure I don't expect much, but I expect more than we have been getting from them.

I was initially excited but after having talked to folks in the know who have gotten glimpses at what McFarlane is doing, based on their opinions I am not as excited. 7" figures is a mistake IMO because the fact is there are more people who would rather see 6" not 7". Things like a Build-A-Batmobile that's not even going to be in scale with the figures the pieces are packed with is a mistake. Doing animated series figures right off the bat when DC Collectibles is still doing those is a mistake.

I fear the initial stuff is just being rushed so they can have something out on shelves at the beginning of the year when they officially take over the license which will leave a bad taste in people's mouths, many of which were already iffy about the news of McFarlane taking over.

I will wait until I see the final product for myself before making any final proclamations or such, but like I say the stuff I've been hearing since SDCC makes me far less excited for this than when the announcement was first made.

17 minutes ago, JayC said:

I was initially excited but after having talked to folks in the know who have gotten glimpses at what McFarlane is doing, based on their opinions I am not as excited. 7" figures is a mistake IMO because the fact is there are more people who would rather see 6" not 7". Things like a Build-A-Batmobile that's not even going to be in scale with the figures the pieces are packed with is a mistake. Doing animated series figures right off the bat when DC Collectibles is still doing those is a mistake.

I fear the initial stuff is just being rushed so they can have something out on shelves at the beginning of the year when they officially take over the license which will leave a bad taste in people's mouths, many of which were already iffy about the news of McFarlane taking over.

I will wait until I see the final product for myself before making any final proclamations or such, but like I say the stuff I've been hearing since SDCC makes me far less excited for this than when the announcement was first made.

JayC, don't they have the license to do 6inch not just the 7inch?  Why would they want to do 7 inch? They have to know the market is very biased towards 6 inch.  I would much rather the 7 inch license go to Neca after seeing their Superman and Batman from the SDCC Exclusives.

Scale doesn't usually matter to me as I usually keep all the same line together, but for the people who want to pair it with Marvel Legends it must be frustrating.  

On 8/16/2019 at 8:58 AM, JayC said:

7" figures is a mistake IMO because the fact is there are more people who would rather see 6" not 7". Things like a Build-A-Batmobile that's not even going to be in scale with the figures the pieces are packed with is a mistake.

On the 7" front, that's just classic McFarlane. I remember WAAAY back in the day when he first got into the toy-game he made a special point of how his figures would be in a different scale than what was being done then (5 inch). I can only assume he's doing the same thing again.

As collectors, we want figures compatible with the Classics and Multiverse figures we've been collecting for years. McFarlane doesn't want that, he wants this to be HIS DC line. Can't really fault the man on that, it just seems a little dismissive toward the fans.

As for the odd choice of build-a-pack-in? My best guess is Mac is still trying to feel things out. The man's gotta be way outside his comfort zone on this one.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

I can't say I'm excited about McFarlane doing DC figures, but I am very intrigued.   When I was younger, I collected a lot of McFarlane Toys figures because I love the sculpting that when into them, but there really wasn't any articulation.

The Fortnite figures have been pretty good.   So, I'm hoping McFarlance Toys DC figures offer that type of articulation and sculpting quality.  Hopefully, there won't be any QC issues like some of the DC Collectibles/DC Direct figures has had.   

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

the dc multiverse are well over 6 inches and almost scale to 7, and mcfarlane stuff is up to 7 and not over like neca or collectibles, so i think they will scale nicely with one another and in a press statement it says he is targeting the multiverse audience anyway.