#SDCC2019 - Jim Fletcher And Todd McFarlane Talk DC Comics Statues And Action Figures

JayC

This past weekend during San Diego Comic Con I had a chance to sit down and talk with DC Collectibles own Jim Fletcher as well as Todd McFarlane from McFarlane Toys. We talked about everything from the awesome McFarlane inspired Batman Black And White #100 statue as well as action figures, including BTAS, Batman Vs TMNT, DC Essentials and even what 2020 might have in store for DC Fans.

Check out images of all the DC Collectibles products on hand at SDCC below in our GALLERY!

2019-SDCC-DC-Collectibles01.jpg

2019-SDCC-DC-Collectibles02.jpg

2019-SDCC-DC-Collectibles03.jpg

2019-SDCC-DC-Collectibles04.jpg

2019-SDCC-DC-Collectibles05.jpg

2019-SDCC-DC-Collectibles06.jpg

2019-SDCC-DC-Collectibles07.jpg

2019-SDCC-DC-Collectibles08.jpg

2019-SDCC-DC-Collectibles09.jpg

2019-SDCC-DC-Collectibles10.jpg

2019-SDCC-DC-Collectibles11.jpg

2019-SDCC-DC-Collectibles12.jpg

2019-SDCC-DC-Collectibles13.jpg

2019-SDCC-DC-Collectibles14.jpg

2019-SDCC-DC-Collectibles15.jpg

2019-SDCC-DC-Collectibles16.jpg

2019-SDCC-DC-Collectibles17.jpg

2019-SDCC-DC-Collectibles18.jpg

2019-SDCC-DC-Collectibles19.jpg

2019-SDCC-DC-Collectibles20.jpg

2019-SDCC-DC-Collectibles21.jpg

2019-SDCC-DC-Collectibles22.jpg

2019-SDCC-DC-Collectibles23.jpg

2019-SDCC-DC-Collectibles24.jpg

2019-SDCC-DC-Collectibles25.jpg

2019-SDCC-DC-Collectibles26.jpg

2019-SDCC-DC-Collectibles27.jpg

2019-SDCC-DC-Collectibles28.jpg

2019-SDCC-DC-Collectibles29.jpg

2019-SDCC-DC-Collectibles30.jpg

2019-SDCC-DC-Collectibles31.jpg

2019-SDCC-DC-Collectibles32.jpg

2019-SDCC-DC-Collectibles33.jpg

2019-SDCC-DC-Collectibles34.jpg

2019-SDCC-DC-Collectibles35.jpg

2019-SDCC-DC-Collectibles36.jpg

2019-SDCC-DC-Collectibles37.jpg

2019-SDCC-DC-Collectibles38.jpg

2019-SDCC-DC-Collectibles39.jpg

2019-SDCC-DC-Collectibles40.jpg

2019-SDCC-DC-Collectibles41.jpg

2019-SDCC-DC-Collectibles42.jpg

2019-SDCC-DC-Collectibles43.jpg

2019-SDCC-DC-Collectibles44.jpg

2019-SDCC-DC-Collectibles45.jpg

2019-SDCC-DC-Collectibles46.jpg

2019-SDCC-DC-Collectibles47.jpg

2019-SDCC-DC-Collectibles48.jpg

2019-SDCC-DC-Collectibles49.jpg

2019-SDCC-DC-Collectibles50.jpg

2019-SDCC-DC-Collectibles51.jpg

2019-SDCC-DC-Collectibles52.jpg

2019-SDCC-DC-Collectibles53.jpg

2019-SDCC-DC-Collectibles54.jpg

2019-SDCC-DC-Collectibles55.jpg

2019-SDCC-DC-Collectibles56.jpg

2019-SDCC-DC-Collectibles57.jpg

2019-SDCC-DC-Collectibles58.jpg

2019-SDCC-DC-Collectibles59.jpg

2019-SDCC-DC-Collectibles60.jpg

2019-SDCC-DC-Collectibles61.jpg

2019-SDCC-DC-Collectibles62.jpg

2019-SDCC-DC-Collectibles63.jpg

2019-SDCC-DC-Collectibles64.jpg

2019-SDCC-DC-Collectibles65.jpg

2019-SDCC-DC-Collectibles66.jpg

2019-SDCC-DC-Collectibles67.jpg

2019-SDCC-DC-Collectibles68.jpg

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, romeothedarkangel said:

Judging by the last few series of Spawn figures, someone needs to teach Todd McFarlane the difference between statues and action figures before they hand him a license.

You should maybe judge his Game of Thrones and Fortnite figures instead. He knows the difference.

3 hours ago, romeothedarkangel said:

Judging by the last few series of Spawn figures, someone needs to teach Todd McFarlane the difference between statues and action figures before they hand him a license.

I'd say take a look at their Fortnite, Naruto, One Punch Man, and upcoming Mortal Kombat, Harry Potter, My Hero Academia, and Call of Duty figures to judge by, if you wanna get a better taste for what the DC figures will be like, given they all share something they've confirmed their DC line will have: an articulation scheme that's even more articulated than Marvel Legends.

I hope to see a few more Knightfall characters, preferably Bane.

Good interview, I just hope that Dc collectibles will continue doing new and exciting  type of action figures something McFarlane cannot do, I am not that sad about essentials getting canceled since they already were too basic, I really do hope for the second version of animated Batmobile and maybe some packs with remaining dc bombshells figures, which imo are the best domestic articulated figures I had opportunity to play with. 

7 hours ago, SpiderS said:

Good interview, I just hope that Dc collectibles will continue doing new and exciting  type of action figures something McFarlane cannot do, I am not that sad about essentials getting canceled since they already were too basic, I really do hope for the second version of animated Batmobile and maybe some packs with remaining dc bombshells figures, which imo are the best domestic articulated figures I had opportunity to play with. 

Why do you say that the Essentials line is canceled I heard the opposite on the Toyark article, that says:

"

• All current lines are continuing for now. Specifically mentioned Essentials, Batman Animated Series, all current statue lines.
  • DC Essentials is NOT cancelled (contrary to reports). On a bit of a hiatus after the next wave. Was originally planned to be a limited line, but sold better than expected, so they are now working to continue and have characters in development.
  • Batman Animated Figures will see some reissues of the older figures to get those in the hands of people just coming into the line, but a lot of new additions are planned.
  • Working with Paul Dini to re-write bios for the Batman Animated Figures, as if the show had continued going.
  • Going to eventually shift Animated series to mostly characters who never appeared in the show (like Deathstroke), which is why they say “The Adventure Continues”.
  • Asked if they plan to do more of the super articulated DC Prime 9″ Tall Figure (like Batman). They would love to, but want to see how well Batman sells. They do have designs ready if they do continue.
  • Specifically mentions the DC Lucha Explosiva line is NOT cancelled. It is being retooled to be more extensive, with story, bringing in more artists for updating the character designs."

Can you light me please

Why do people keep bringing up McFarlane's Fortnite line like its a badge of excellence? I've seen these figures. The proportions are all over the place, and the articulation is ugly as sin.

Jazwares has them beat hands down (maybe THEY should've gotten the DC licence).

Gonna assume that's directed at me.  I by no means mentioned that line as some kind of "badge of excellence."  I don't like a lot of the articulation on the Fortnite line (the wrists look terrible, imo, and the same $#!$$y wrists seem to be found across all modern McFarlane lines).  I simply brought up that and Game of Thrones as examples of McFarlane figures that are definitely not "statues" and have multiple points of articulation as opposed to the Spawn figures from 12 or so years ago that maybe would have four. 

3 hours ago, mako said:

Why do people keep bringing up McFarlane's Fortnite line like its a badge of excellence? I've seen these figures. The proportions are all over the place, and the articulation is ugly as sin.

Jazwares has them beat hands down (maybe THEY should've gotten the DC licence).

I dont know about badge of excellence but its pretty good articulation overall and if you look at their new Mortal Kombat figures those seem to be really nice as well. I think the point to take away here is there is a lot of potential to be had in McFarlane's new DC line when you take their, what is generally considered awesome sculpting detail and combine that with what seems to be continuing improving articulation. Until we see the final product we obviously can't say for sure but I think DC fans have a legit reason to be hopeful for the future.

• 2 weeks later...

BTAS/TNBA has a huge following. Some of these figures are incredibly expensive on the secondary market. Why not finish the line with some important villains that have yet to made? TNBA Penguin, Dr. Hugo Strange, Maxie Zeus, Lock Up, & Clock King would make a terrific multi-pack, series of multi-packs, or sell as single figures. Then if they want to continue the line extension, go for JLU characters like Deadshot, Gentleman Ghost, KG Beast, Psycho Pirate, Solomon Grundy, or Batman Adventures' Black Mask all in Bruce Timm-style. There's no reason to let the line expire. Maybe Todd McFarlane's toy company can do some of these figures. 

Yeh I'm really more into the BTAS/TNBA line since I've been lately into that line and tbh i was surprised they'll be doing some characters in the bruce timm style that we never shown in no DCAU media at all (correct me if I'm wrong at that), so far these figures look good and at some point I'd hope that mcfarlane toys might continue doing this line as well but only time will tell really.