Joe Taslim To Suit Up As 'Sub-Zero' In 'Mortal Kombat' Movie

Outsiders

Actor and martial artist Joe Taslim will be playing the character of Sub-Zero in the newest installment of the live-action adaptation of the video game Mortal Kombat.

Veteran commercial director Simon McQuoid makes his feature directing debut from a screenplay by Greg Russo.  James Wan and his Atomic Monster banner are producing the movie along with Todd Garner.  Larry Kasanoff, E. Bennett Walsh, Michael Clear and Sean Robins are executive producing.  Production for the movie is set to shoot in southern Australia later this year.

The plot of the movie is unknown but the video game centers on a massive roster of character fighters from different realms in a fictional universe battling for supremacy.

The first Mortal Kombat movie was released in 1995 from director Paul W. S. Anderson that went on to gross an impressive $122 million at the worldwide box office. It was then followed by 1997's Mortal Kombat: Annihilation.

Source: The Hollywood Reporter

Joe_Taslim_Sub_Zero.jpg

Definitely good that they are not only getting a no name actor but one that is a martial artist to play the role. This gives me hope that its in the right direction and will be done properly. We ll see how this develops. 

5 hours ago, memocromatico said:

That mold was broken with Detective Pikachu's charm!

I take it you all didnt like the original mortal kombat movie? That to me was so far the best video game movie adaptation yet. Not mindblowing by any means but definitely not garbage like EVERY other video game movie. And Detective Pikachu was pretty damn great even tho I dont care for pokemon or follow the mythos and all that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EvilHayato said:

I take it you all didnt like the original mortal kombat movie? That to me was so far the best video game movie adaptation yet. Not mindblowing by any means but definitely not garbage like EVERY other video game movie. And Detective Pikachu was pretty damn great even tho I dont care for pokemon or follow the mythos and all that. 

I LOVE MK!!!! That said... it is a pretty terrible movie. I love it like I love microwave pizza. It's terrible, but I love it.

2 hours ago, memocromatico said:

I LOVE MK!!!! That said... it is a pretty terrible movie. I love it like I love microwave pizza. It's terrible, but I love it.

The first movie wasnt really that bad. I just rewatched it not that long ago to pump me up for Shang Tsungs DLC in MK11. Its nowhere near as cheesy and as bad as Street Fighters movie and very very far from abysmal like its sequel MK Annihilation.. that movie was a trainwreck throughout and not in a campy so bad its good way.. I have to be drunk to even have any part in rewatching it.                                                                           

spacer.png

• Haha 1

On 7/10/2019 at 6:13 PM, EvilHayato said:

The first movie wasnt really that bad. I just rewatched it not that long ago to pump me up for Shang Tsungs DLC in MK11. Its nowhere near as cheesy and as bad as Street Fighters movie and very very far from abysmal like its sequel MK Annihilation.. that movie was a trainwreck throughout and not in a campy so bad its good way.. I have to be drunk to even have any part in rewatching it.                                                                           

spacer.png

I may have certain prejudice agains Paul WS Anderson, so I may be exaggerating in how terrible I think it is.

1 hour ago, Satam said:

Proven martial arts actor, proven producer, unproven writer and director...hmmm...

everyone has to start somewhere... also one that sucks doesnt always suck... and one that doesnt suck isnt always perfect. 

Great casting, hopefully they continue the trend with good actors that know martial arts and not just A list actors, but people who will actually work well in fight scenes. 
Wonder who could play scorpion?

Personaly Id like to see Terry Crews or Mike Colter as Jaxs and Katherine Winnick as Sonia Blade
Jessica Henwick (Coleen from Iron Fist), Karen Fuhukara (Katana from Suicide Squad) Tony Jaa (from Ong-Bak), Brian Tee (Noburo from The Wolverine), Rick Yune (from Toky Drift and Ninja Assassin) and Lee Byung-Hun (Storm Shadow from Gi-Joe) would also be good fits for this movie

5 hours ago, EvilHayato said:

everyone has to start somewhere... also one that sucks doesnt always suck... and one that doesnt suck isnt always perfect. 

You're not wrong, but I'd still prefer a couple guys with proven track records and their names with a few movies I've seen and liked.  Or even a few movies that have been made.  Or anything, really. People do have to start somewhere, and the formula of writing/directing hit tv or small indy flicks before getting a big IP movie is a go to for a reason.

12 hours ago, Satam said:

You're not wrong, but I'd still prefer a couple guys with proven track records and their names with a few movies I've seen and liked.  Or even a few movies that have been made.  Or anything, really. People do have to start somewhere, and the formula of writing/directing hit tv or small indy flicks before getting a big IP movie is a go to for a reason.

Well the original Mortal Kombat movie was Paul Andersons second directing gig... and it came out pretty good, especially for the time. One thing about people that dont have any track records, they have everything to prove and everything to lose. A well known director can have a huge stinker and still come back and be known for their hits rather than their misses. As long as these guys pay attention to the source material and dont take too many creative liberties as well as a cohesive story, it has the potential to dethrone the original MK movie as being objectively one of the best video game to movie adaptations.