More Clues To What's Coming From McFarlane Toys For DC Comics?!?

JayC

I dont think this is a perfect line by any means but I see more here for DC Comic fans to be happy about than unhappy. These overall look better than what Mattel has done with their Multiverse line and I will only assume these will improve as time goes on.

My guess is these had to be rushed to a certain extant to be ready to go by now and I do hope going forward they look to diversify the character selection more. For a collector line way to many Batman and Superman right out of the gate. 

Not sure why they have given Superman single hinged elbows but otherwise I really like that one. The proportions on Batgirl seem a bit off. That is probably my least favorite looking of the bunch.

The Build-A-Batmobile that isn't in scale with the figures seems kinda pointless to me. I don't hate it but its not something I am interested in, and I continue to think doing Animated Series stuff while DC Collectibles does very similar product is a mistake for both companies. If it was a current series I could maybe see but its not.

DCTV Arrow, Nightwing, Modern Batman and Batman who Laughs are probably the best looking of the bunch. The Hellbat and Unchained  Superman look decent as well and glad they have the alternate wings and such.

Like I say, these aren't perfect but this is a line that shows promise to me and one I expect will only get better.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hm, i do gotta agree about the whole build-a-batmobile concept seems pointless as well, but damn those figures look nice in my opinion, especially the Batman who laughs which looks freakin amazing out of the three figures, no surprise how i mentioned that i was a Batgirl fan however I'm not so much of a fan of this design being honest, still i definitely am gonna buy it nevertheless cause why not 😄 and lastly for Nightwing he seems decent as well, so i might get the three figures and well I'll eventually see if I'll like the Batmobile or not 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mako said:

I admit, I wasn't expecting much from McFarlane, but I was still expecting better than this. Weird sculpts, weird articulation (what is it with Superman's knees?), and an underwhelming selection? Not the best start of a license. I'm gonna pass.

Gonna pass on this line myself. This looks geared towards DCC 7" collectors not Mattel DCUC/Multiverse collectors. They overdid it by have 3 versions of Batman and Superman in the same series.

Yeah, finally! , Hellbat, Unchained Supes and the BWL are my favorites of the wave, the Bats, the batgirl and the nigthwing have no waste. I can't help feeling like I'm seeing something done by DCC, especially when looking at the animated figures. 

No, it is definitely not a perfect line and yes, there is a lot of room for improvement, but I definitely like what I am seeing at the moment, I know that the matter has been very controversial and everyone has already made their position clear about it and has chosen a camp, well I am still in, although there are things that should have been done differently, and well what else can be said, at least the 8 comic-based figures are already on my list unless the gross Mcfarlene qc makes me change my mind or that my local distributor remains a lazy ass.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JayC said:

Not sure why they have given Superman single hinged elbows but otherwise I really like that one. The proportions on Batgirl seem a bit off. That is probably my least favorite looking of the bunch.

I agree with you. Superman looks very nice, Batgirl has something off.

I like their looks overall, might get Batman and Superman, and maybe Batgirl for my gf. Other than that, not really interested in the line mainly because of scale. But if McFarlane starts making characters from the Titans comics, especially Raven and Starfire, I'll certainly get them.

I'd say this is a decent start for the line, there's room for improvement, no doubt about it, but they're certainly better than what Mattel did. I'm really curious to see how this line develops, and how McFarlane deals with distribution of these figures outside the US.

11 minutes ago, Neovorticism2 said:

By the way is the Harley Quinn figure based on the comics or the BTAS style?, the face look very cartoonish to me.

I believe the overall style is comic not animated. That version did originate from the cartoon though so it may have still influenced the figure. I am curious to know whats going on with the Birds of Prey Harley movie figure. It was not mentioned in the official announcement and was never shown on the Walmart site.

1 hour ago, Neovorticism2 said:

I know that the matter has been very controversial and everyone has already made their position clear about it and has chosen a camp, 

I wouldn't say I've chosen my camp so much as I'm still weighing my options. Unless one or the other roles out something better than they have thus far, I don't see myself buying into either. Until then, I'll be using the break to fill in the holes in my Multiverse collection.

Was curious if McFarlane would get me back into DC figures again. From this start, its an easy no. Alot of weird proportions, and some weird designs and that build a hot wheels is definitely not going to influence me to buy more than one. All companies have a growing pains stage when they get a new license. I look at Hasbro and how they went from awful to amazing during their span with the marvel license. I used to collect McF figures for a long time early in my hardcore collecting days so I have hopes for them to return to form but after they stopped with statues with small articulation and then came back partially, I think they have alot of learning and growing to do with adding proper and aesthetically pleasing articulation points in their figures. 

1 hour ago, Neovorticism2 said:

No, it is definitely not a perfect line and yes, there is a lot of room for improvement, but I definitely like what I am seeing at the moment, I know that the matter has been very controversial and everyone has already made their position clear about it and has chosen a camp, well I am still in, although there are things that should have been done differently, and well what else can be said, at least the 8 comic-based figures are already on my list unless the gross Mcfarlene qc makes me change my mind or that my local distributor remains a lazy ass.

In my opinion this initial stuff was likely rushed. McFarlane had less than a year from when they were awarded the license to get this stuff made and ready for market. That is extremely fast for a line such as this. You might argue that McFarlane should have taken more time and waited until later in the year to release the stuff but in the retail world shelf space is very limited and you have to protect it by always keeping something on it. Had they let a large gap of time transpire from when the Mattel DC stuff went off shelf to when their stuff was ready then its possible they would have had a harder time getting it out. There may have been other financial or contractual obligations at play for needing them to be out at the beginning of the year as well. 

You are 100% right that there is def room for improvement, but I like what I am seeing in general more than the Mattel Multiverse stuff, at least based on these images. Of course I won't really know until I get them in hand. I also think if you look at say Hasbro and what they started out with for Marvel Legends. This is worlds above that early Hasbro stuff. I do expect McFarlane to improve as time goes on and if they don't I think collector complaints will be more justifiable, but I am willing to give them that time.

• Like 1

The proportions on the animated series Batman look a little weird in the pictures for me. Holding off to see it once reviews get posted up. That figure will decide whether or not I jump in. I'd be interested in doing an entire line of BTAS figs (and the Sup's cartoon too) with better articulation and ability to stand then the current line but want to see how this measures up first. Haven't been huge on the look of a lot of the McFarlane stuff out so far. The MK stuff and Doom stuff looks a bit off for me. Personal preference. 

24 minutes ago, JayC said:

I believe the overall style is comic not animated. That version did originate from the cartoon though so it may have still influenced the figure. I am curious to know whats going on with the Birds of Prey Harley movie figure. It was not mentioned in the official announcement and was never shown on the Walmart site.

Yes, maybe a mix of both styles, the proportions of the figure also do not seem very realistic to me, probably the figure that I like the least, but I will give it a chance.  It may not have been disclosed to avoid spoilers.

Dnno maybe the movie Harley figure was not revealed to avoid spoilers, althought the funko pops have already been revealed.

On 7/31/2019 at 7:00 AM, JayC said:

And based on the mock ups it looks like that Batmobile would be broken up into three long section pieces. Now the packaging for those figures do indicate being longer shaped than taller, but that would have to be pretty long packaging to fit pieces for a  6-7" scale Batmobile, I mean just look at the size of DC Collectibles 6" BTAS Batmobile for an idea of how big the packaging for these would need to be.

And if it's not a vehicle meant to be in scale with the actual figures that would be, well IMO super lame.

I was hoping for 6” as well... i get they want to be different than the current DCAU figs but this was McFarlanes chance to own the DC 6” world n be DC’s Hasbro for ML....

also... that pack in batmobile is meant to fit the figs n the pics r just a mock up?? Or the BAF is a hot wheels batmobile?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Spack said:

The option to not go with cloth capes where applicable makes these fall short for me. The Batman and Superman in the Alien and Predator 2 packs are still the definitive versions in my book. These McFarlane  offerings will not challenge this.

In some way I agree with you,  I would have liked cltoth capes with wendy wire. Now regarding, Neca tell them we want their DC figures on sale in stores ...

So I am going to be interviewing Todd McFarlane himself early next week. If you have any burning questions for him about the DC stuff or any of their other action figure lines, LMK and I will try and incorporate them into the interview.

• Like 3

Good. I have some questions:

We know in addition to the Bloodshot film there are other film projects based on the publications of Valiant comics, will we also see figures based on the title characters of those films ?, following the theme of Valiant comics, is there a possibility that at some point we can also see figures based on comic book designs?.

Regarding the DC line:

Will more classic designs be incorporated into the line?.

Regarding the range of characters, how deep have you been allowed to go?. 

What about larger characters, such as Darkseid and Doomsday? Would they be offered as a complete figure or as pieces included in standard-sized figures, similar to the Marvel Legends BAF?.

Finally, any chance for an articulated Spawn figure in the future?.