More Clues To What's Coming From McFarlane Toys For DC Comics?!?

JayC

Below is a press release about Todd McFarlane and his company McFarlane Toys plans for this years San Diego Comic Con Convention. While there some cool things listed on there, one of the things you won't see mentioned is DC Comics. It was announced back in February during the New York Toy Fair that starting in 2020 they would be launching a new collector-oriented line of aciton figures based on DC Comics, and many of us including myself had hoped we might get our first look at this new line during what is arguably the biggest comic convention in the world, SDCC.

We double checked with the folks at McFarlane Toys and they confirmed for us that unfortunately the earliest we might get our first look at what they have in store for the DC License is at New York Comic Con which takes place in October 3-6.

So while that is a little disappointing, as I said they still seem to have to pretty cool stuff to reveal later this month at SDCC, so keep reading for the full details.

Press Release:

Tempe, AZ - June 27, 2019 - In the midst of making history with SPAWN 300 and 301, Todd McFarlane has confirmed his appearance as a Special Guest at San Diego Comic-Con. Fans will have the chance to meet the creator of SPAWN from Thursday, July 18th through Sunday, July 21st at Image Comics booth #1915. Todd will be serving on numerous panels, as well as, hosting multiple signing sessions where fans can get their favorite comics and toys signed for FREE! Join the journey on the road to SPAWN 300 and 301, by attending any or all of the following events at San Diego Comic-Con.

Todd McFarlane’s 2019 SDCC Schedule:

Thursday, July 18th

TODD MCFARLANE FREE AUTOGRAPH SESSION
TIME: 2:00 – 4:00 PM

Fans not to worry, there are ample opportunities to attend a signing session with Todd McFarlane! Bring your favorite comics and toys to have them signed for FREE. **Limit 2 items per person and each person must be over 13 years of age. No sketches. No CGC, or other witnessing/grading. Autograph session is limited, and wristbands will be issued each day in the Image booth starting at 9:30 AM.

Friday, July 19th

“WHAT IS THE BEST SUPERPOWER?” PANEL
TIME: 1:00 – 2:00 PM

Todd McFarlane will be joined by other top panelists including Jonathan Hickman, Jae Lee, Joseph M. Linsner, Alitha Martinez, and J. Michael Straczynski.

TIME: 3:00 – 5:00 PM

** See above description for further information on signings and limitations.

Saturday, July 20th

TIME: 12:30 – 2:30 PM

SPOTLIGHT ON TODD MCFARLANE
TIME: 3:00 – 4:00 PM

Todd McFarlane, Image Comics founder, creator of SPAWN, co-creator of VENOM and McFarlane Toys CEO, talks about his 30+ years in the comic and entertainment industry. Todd will be raw and uncensored - talking toys, comics, industry advice and more! He will also be talking about one of the biggest milestones in his career, SPAWN 300 and SPAWN 301, which will set the record for the longest-running creator-owned superhero comic ever!

**Bring your burning questions for Toddfather Q&A. This jam-packed panel is a must for any Todd McFarlane fan!

Sunday, July 21st

TIME: 10:00 AM – 12:00 PM

THE ROAD TO HISTORIC SPAWN 300 & 301
TIME: 1:45 – 2:45 PM

Image Comics will be hosting the panel The Road to the Historic SPAWN 300 and 301. Join Todd McFarlane and other surprise special guests from the superstar creative team of SPAWN 300 and 301! This panel will serve as an inside look into the record-breaking moments, as well as, jumpstart the celebration of SPAWN becoming the longest-running creator-owned comic in the world! As an added bonus fans will see new art reveals, experience giveaways, and much more!

McFarlane Toys will also have a display area at the Diamond Comic Distributors booth #2401, where attendees can get “First Looks” into upcoming fan-favorites, including world-renowned brands Harry Potter, My Hero Academia, Fortnite, Season 3 Stranger Things figures and more!

COMING SOON: a sneak-peek into the launch of the SPAWN Merchandise Program, which is a 2019 Event Exclusive Program. In celebration of SPAWN 300 and 301, the SPAWN Merchandise Program will first launch at San Diego Comic-Con. All merchandise can be found at the Image Comics booth #1915.

Have the chance to witness history in the making with Special Guest Todd McFarlane at San Diego Comic-Con!

McFarlane-Toys-SDCC.jpg

• Like 2

As much as McFarlane Toys has been focusing on intellectual properties such as Fortnite and Game of Thrones lately and turning heads with their action figures having better articulation and poseability that is better than those Spawn figures they released several years ago, surely at NYCC they can surprise everyone with what they can do with the DC Comics intellectual property especially if they show off a really kick-butt Batman or Superman figure or a killer Collect and Connect wave like Mattel had been doing with their $20 DC Multiverse collectible action figures.

It would be pretty cool if they just announced a new Spawn figure and showed a prototype of that off and said that they'd do the DC figures in a similar style and look. Then we'd get an idea of what to expect. 

Speaking of Spawn, I'd really like a Mezco Spawn! 

Im thinking he'll probably just talk about the plans but wont show any prototypes just yet (seeing as its still 6 months away from the licence running out on Mattel's end and Starting with McFarlane), Im thinking they probably wont show anything DC related till NYCC, most likely the first wave or some advanced prototypes  and theyll show the carded figures from the first wave and more info on the line at Toyfair at the begining of next year.
If they do end up showing some of their dc prototypes it would be big, hopefully with the DC licence we get some articulated Spawn figures as well.

Interesting side note.  In addition to his autograph sessions at the Image booth McFarlane also has autograph sessions scheduled for the DC Booth.  This instantly struck me as odd but then made me stop and speculate that maybe those DC sessions might have had something to do with the new DC figure line getting revealed.  Now that that doesn’t appear to be the case I’m back to wondering.  

1 hour ago, InspectorZartan said:

Interesting side note.  In addition to his autograph sessions at the Image booth McFarlane also has autograph sessions scheduled for the DC Booth.  This instantly struck me as odd but then made me stop and speculate that maybe those DC sessions might have had something to do with the new DC figure line getting revealed.  Now that that doesn’t appear to be the case I’m back to wondering.  

McFarlane is a draw and he has done stuff (mostly covers) for DC so I am sure its just a way to bring people to the booth and since he has a relationship with WB/DC it makes sense. Despite what they are saying I wouldn't be super shocked if the slipped out some kind of concept art or digital rendering of a figure at some point during the con if for no other reason than for hype purposes, but they aren't going to have any actual product out on display until at least NYCC.

I've been very impatient for San Diego that I keep checking the calendar. I want to know what will come in the future & DC is one of them. I never been able to find DC figures in my area so maybe McFarlane Toys can pop up more often.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

So I would take this list as a total grain of salt for right now. I'm working to see if there is any validity to it and will update once I find out. For now just posting for pure speculation purposes but this list of the first wave of McFarlane figures has popped up on some obscure UK etailer website. According to the website these will be 7" which again is not confirmed, in fact McFalane has previously said they would be doing 6". Anyway here is how it breaks down.

- Armored Superman (Comic)

- Animated Series Superman

-  Superman (Comic)

-  Nightwing (Comic)

- Suicide Squad Movie Harley Quinn

- Harley Quinn (Comic)

- Animated Series Jon Stewart

- Batman Who Laughs (Comic)

- Batman (Comic)

- Batman Animated Series

- Hellbat (Comic)

- Batgirl (Comic)

- Arrow (DCTV)

Nightwing, Batgirl and Batman who Laughs is said to include 3 pieces to build a Batmobile.

Again I want to REITERATE this list is in no way confirmed to be legit and in fact several things right off that bat smell a little fishy to me (no pun intended).

As I said I am working to try and get some kind of confirmation on whether the list is legit or not and will update once I learn more but for now feel free to discuss and speculate.

Armored-Superman.jpg

arrow.jpg

batgirl.jpg

Batman.jpg

batman_animated_dc_2048x2048.jpg

batman_who_laughs.jpg

green_lantern.jpg

harley_quinn_dc_mcfarlane_2048x2048.jpg

nightwing_dc_mcfarlane_2048x2048.jpg

superman_batman_dc_mcfarlane_2048x2048.jpg

superman_dc_animated_mcfarlane_2048x2048.jpg

superman_dc_mcfarlane_armoured_2048x2048.jpg

4 hours ago, JayC said:

According to the website these will be 7" which again is not confirmed, in fact McFalane has previously said they would be doing 6".

Hmmm. I distinctly remember an interview he did at Toyfair with another site where he said he wanted his DC figures to be in the same 7" scale as his other lines.  Maybe it was just a youtube video.  Can't find it right now.  Not saying at all that you're wrong Jay, but it seems like Todd may have said two different things, which is weird but not out of character.

9 hours ago, Satam said:

Hmmm. I distinctly remember an interview he did at Toyfair with another site where he said he wanted his DC figures to be in the same 7" scale as his other lines.  Maybe it was just a youtube video.  Can't find it right now.  Not saying at all that you're wrong Jay, but it seems like Todd may have said two different things, which is weird but not out of character.

IDK what interview you saw or where but when we talked to Todd directly at Toy Fair the indication was these would be 6" and not 7". Now its possible that could have changed or they could have misspoke but the initial indications were 6".  If these do end up being 7" while for me personally I wouldn't care that much as long as the figures are good, I think it would be a huge mistake on McFarlane's part to go that route. McFarlane should have free rain of the scale they want unlike say DC Collectibles and they should make them the same size as Marvel Legends which is the standard size I think the majority of collectors of super hero figure collectors want. If they go the 7" route right off the bat they will loose a sizable chunk of collector dollars from people who would be all over these if that match up with their Marvel Legends. I see no advantage going the 7" route and again McFarlane shouldn't be restricted since they are essentially now the master toy maker when it comes to doing collector oriented DC Comic based figures.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I also think its odd and would be a mistake right off the bat to be doing animated style figures while DC Collectibles is essentially still doing them. I don't think there would be enough demand for two companies to  be doing what would boil down to the same figures.

• Like 1

Other odd things that stick out to me about this list is only three figures have Build pieces which in its own right is odd. The whole idea behind the Build-A-Concept is to have them in all the figures in the wave so you buy all the figures in the wave. The fact that it is something large like a Batmobile makes the three figure thing even odder. To do it right I would think it would require more than 3 figures, at least if its something in scale with the figures they are included with. Its also hard to imagine how you even make Batmobile pieces that would actually fit on a traditional size 6-7" figure cardback or packaging.

The wave is also very Batman and Superman heavy with both of those characters getting three different figure versions in one wave. Even if this was a mass produced line for kids that would be on the heavy side.

• Like 1

And based on the mock ups it looks like that Batmobile would be broken up into three long section pieces. Now the packaging for those figures do indicate being longer shaped than taller, but that would have to be pretty long packaging to fit pieces for a  6-7" scale Batmobile, I mean just look at the size of DC Collectibles 6" BTAS Batmobile for an idea of how big the packaging for these would need to be.

And if it's not a vehicle meant to be in scale with the actual figures that would be, well IMO super lame.

• Like 1

So just to update, I've been hearing back from several sources that I trust and while still not 100% confirmed I am getting strong indications at least some things about these listings from this UK etailer are true and quit honestly from what I am hearing... well frankly I am just kinda shaking my head in disbelief, and not in a good way.

This is all still very preliminary and i'm still piecing things together but  I should have more for you soon.

• 4 months later...

Overlord Dracus sends word of new listings they found in the Walmart system for upcoming DC Comics based figures from McFarlane Toys. The listings include the following figures:

- Batman Modern
- Batman Hellbat
- Arrow TV Figure
- Superman Animated
- Batman Animated
- Superman Modern
- Movie Harley Quin
- Superman Armored
- DC Batman 7 Figure
- DC Univ 7 Fig Asrt

The figures are all listed with retail prices of $19.87 each. We aren't really sure what the last two listings are referring to but all the other figures listed here also turned up in a listing back in July from a UK etailer called Toys In The Attic. The complete listing from July included:

- Armored Superman (Comic)
- Animated Series Superman
- Superman (Comic)
- Nightwing (Comic)
- Suicide Squad Movie Harley Quinn
- Harley Quinn (Comic)
- Animated Series Jon Stewart
- Batman Who Laughs (Comic)
- Batman (Comic)
- Batman Animated Series
- Hellbat (Comic)
- Batgirl (Comic)
- Arrow (DCTV)

Nightwing, Batgirl and Batman Who Laughs were said to include 3 pieces to build a Batmobile. The figures were also said to be 7" scale figures and we have no word on when they will see release. Of course we should note that none of this has been confirmed by McFarlane Toys and early store listings can often change. We will update on this once we learn more.

McFarlane-DC-Comics.jpg

• Like 4

It would be interesting to see them do animated series figures so soon, hopefully they gonna have better articulation than DCC one, so far most Mcfarlane figures like a Doom and Mortal Kombat seem just from ok to good, hopefully they gonna put some effort, but 7 inch scale ugh

• Haha 1

Still kind of early days to have any real idea what's going on, but I do hope whatever the final selection turns out to be has a little more variety. A single TV Arrow and LOTS of Batman and Superman figures. I was kinda hoping for more.

• Like 1