Power Rangers 6" Lightning Collection Walgreens Exclusive Mighty Morphin Dragon Shield Black Ranger Figure From Hasbro

JayC

Hasbro has just unveiled the POWER RANGERS LIGHTNING COLLECTION 6” MIGHTY MORPHIN DRAGON SHIELD BLACK RANGER Figure which is being released this fall as a Walgreens exclusive for $19.99.

It’s Morphin Time! Introducing a new era of POWER RANGERS collectibles with Hasbro’s all-new POWER RANGERS LIGHTNING COLLECTION 6” Figures! The LIGHTNING COLLECTION features over two decades of iconic characters from this storied franchise, and Hasbro is excited to bring its own take to this premium line. The LIGHTNING COLLECTION’s highly-articulated, 6-inch figures will have best-in-class detailing and design, and will feature Photo Real technology for realistic actor likenesses. In the MIGHTY MORPHIN POWER RANGERS series, the Green Ranger loans the power of the Dragon Shield to the Black Ranger to help defeat one of Rita’s monsters. The MIGHTY MORPHIN DRAGON SHIELD BLACK RANGER Figure has over 20 points of articulation and includes two different heads that can be swapped—one of the Ranger in his helmet, and another without as Zack Taylor from the original MIGHTY MORPHIN POWER RANGERS series. The figure also comes a dragon dagger, power axe, power blaster, and an extra pair of hands for more ways to play or display. Look for other collectible figures in this series. Each sold separately. Available exclusively at Walgreens.

E6049_DAD_Life_F19_PRG_LC6inMMPRBlackRanger_0002.jpg

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Neovorticism2 said:

And will there be a regular version of this ranger?, I mean, I'm not interested in this line, but the number of exclusive figures is almost equal to that of regular figures and they are all main characters, it's something ridiculous in my opinion, many fans will have difficulties to complete the main squads and not to mention those fans who don't live in the USA and they don't have a Walgreens.

I've been seeing a lot of comments on social media of people complaining about how Hasbro has been handling the line since they took over. Now being I am not personally invested in this line, its not something I personally collect I have no idea how much of that is just normal Internet bluster and how much of it is legit complaints.

Basically Hasbro is just milking the mold of what basically is the MMPR green ranger body sculpt and have them as exclusives. Bandai did the same thing.

When Bandai handled the Power Rangers they were quicker because of lots of resuse, minimum tooling with new head sculpt.

Hasbro took over and their first wave features quite a bit of new sculpts and a villain which was absent in the Bandai line.

Anyways. I have a feeling Hasbro was testing waters with series1 and will do a proper launch during SDCC this year. The exclusive are definitely ways to draw hype towards the MMPR fans. The fact that all the rangers so far features unmask head sculpt probably means longer time needed for approvals and such.

• Like 1

I have collected many different Power Ranger figures over the years, and these are the definitive Rangers figures! I personally like the way Hasbro is releasing these. They are super affordable, they include a bonus teen Ranger head, weapons, hands at only $20. Figuarts were much more expensive and were very similar to the Hasbro releases (having owned the Figuart figures as well) I am not sure where the hate is coming from, but I am beyond excited for the MMPR and Zeo Rangers in particular! A Rita Repulsa figure also seems inevitable! 😎

Looks great! Especially because the SHF one is costing like a fortune now. Hasbro is doing a very good job on these figures and keeping the price very affordable. 

I'm sure they'll release unarmored versions eventually but I do find it a bit odd to have a lot of mix and matching for their initial waves. But the benefit is Hasbro can hit various ranger teams at once rather than getting the same old Mighty Morphin  era again & again. There's always the possibility these exclusive versions to get a retail release. Magik was one of those. The good news is that a Green Ranger shouldn't be too far off. It'll take longer to complete specific teams but given how many toys come out throughout the year I don't mind this pacing as long as nothing gets cancelled or left unfinished.

17 hours ago, JayC said:

I've been seeing a lot of comments on social media of people complaining about how Hasbro has been handling the line since they took over. Now being I am not personally invested in this line, its not something I personally collect I have no idea how much of that is just normal Internet bluster and how much of it is legit complaints.

I see it more as internet bluster as these Dragon Shield versions had minor scenes throughout the whole Mighty Morphin show. It wasn't a frequently occurring event.  It's cool to look at but not quite necessary. The Gold Ranger being an exclusive is a legitimate complaint as he would be part of the main roster in Zeo. But given the property they have, I doubt Hasbro wouldn't re-release Gold in separate packaging. That's easy money to make. The Dragon Shield Black Ranger being in WalGreens is a more obtainable than the Dragon Shield Red but it's very possible for Black & Red to have non shield releases since that's their default form.  I wouldn't be too surprised if Dragon Shield Red does become a separate release later on. I don't see why people are worried that they won't be able to complete their rosters because of these "exclusives". Regular releases of red & black are bound to happen. The only other "complaint" would be their choice of waves of various different Ranger teams but I see it more as an opportunity to venture out of the typical Mighty Morphin era and get characters we normally wouldn't get so soon. Sure Mighty Morphin lasted a while and the most popular but it's not the only team. 

Honestly I'm really excited about this line from Hasbro, and this figure is no exception. My only problem with it is that is a Walgreens exclusive. Other that that I believe Hasbro is doing a nice job with the PR license, and honestly I'm just gonna buy the MMPR team, some extra Rangers and some villains since I'm not familiar with newer Rangers shows

I didn't get into Bandai's Legacy figures, and with all the paint errors and the lack of weapons, I'm glad I didn't. But the Lightning Collection looks to be an amazing line, and we only one wave and couple announcements in. I'm ready to order this one the moment it goes live on Walgreens' website (and the SDCC exclusive once it on Hasbro Pulse).

I don't collect Power Rangers figures and my knowledge of the franchise is limited to Mighty Morphing but I like what I'm seeing from Hasbro; they seem to have a nice blend of sculpt, articulation and accessories. As for the exclusives I don't really see much of a problem, so far all of the exclusives have been variations of the main characters.

• 1 month later...

I have not bought any of these figures, but I'm really tempted too.  I understand they want to make the line continue as long as possible.  Alot of collectors will just stop with MMPR.  

Heck, we can almost make an entire team with the dragon armor.  We have Red, Black, and Green. 

18 hours ago, JayC said:

Package pic

Lightning-Collection-Dragon-Shield-Black-Ranger-Package.jpg

To me this is the right kind of exclusive, a nonessential figure.  A figure that not everyone wants, and will be harder to find.  The collectors who really want this will seek it out. Alot better than a main hero or villian.  Imagine if you could only get Rita from Walgreens or Walmart.  Both of their distribution is a$$.

• Like 1