Mattel's 2019 SDCC Exclusive Masters Of The Universe Products Revealed

JayC

14 hours ago, JayC said:

Your right they did do it last year and it caused lots of confusion then as well because when they release info on these things they just say they will be available for pre-order, they don't specifically say pre-order for con pick up only. And since most companies when they sell online they sell it for those not attending. And trying to get clarification on things from Mattel is often like trying to pull nails out of a board with your teeth. Then they say things like the above quote leaving one to think they will be made available. Mattel still has a website where they sell stuff so IDK if they will go that route or offer it through an etailer like EE. As for Powercon that really isn't a solution for helping people not attending a convention getting these.

Completely agree.  And I feel like communication on these things coming from Mattel keeps getting worse and worse.  

The one good thing I’ll say though is this new system they switched to last year, despite it being confusing for those not going to comic con, for those of us that do go to the convention this new preorder process for attendees is the best process they’ve had thus far.  No fighting to get in line.  No long waits while they gather your items and cross check each individual item in their system.  No having to haul stuff back to the car, then back to the hotel, and eventually back home.  Instead it’s just an easy “stop by our booth at your own convenience during the Con, show us your order number, Comic Con badge, and photo ID, do all 3 match?—good!  Now we’ll just ship your stuff to you.”  It was so much easier and quicker for those of us at the Con than it had been before.  

9 hours ago, JayC said:

After yesterday's SDCC exclusive Masters of the Universe reveal was made by Mattel, we were left with a lot of questions. Most have noted how the He-Man and Prince Adam figures featured in the Con set are completely redesigned sculpted figures, different from their older original molds or the newer Masters of the Universe Classic line. So that has left many wondering if these con exclusives are only the beginning, and it would seem the answer is yes.

Our friend and He-Man aficionado Pixel-Dan talked with the Four Horsemen who have worked on Masters for both Mattel and Super 7. They confirmed for him that a new toyline is in the works from Mattel that will be called "Masters of the Universe Origins". The Horsemen did not work on the He-Man or Prince Adam figures in the con set but they will be working on the new figures going forward. Dan goes on to say that the Horsemen have reworked the articulation for the elbows and hips for the future releases - with hopes that Mattel will implement it and not continue using the odd-looking joints on the He-Man/Adam.

No word yet what exactly that means for Super 7 and if they will continue doing any Masters stuff once Mattel officially launches this new line. With a new live-action Masters of the Universe seeming more and more likely for 2021 and the recent loss of the DC Comics license, its a pretty good bet Mattel will be putting much more effort into their once leading boys toy brand. More details are expected to come next month at Comic-Con.

Interesting info about a possible future line.  MOTU ranks fairly high on my toy collecting list.  GI Joe and Super Hero stuff are at the very top but right after that comes MOTU followed by Star Wars, Transformers, etc etc.  As a result when it comes to MOTU products I’ve been pretty much a completist.  Even so, not sure how I’d feel about a line like this.  Vintage (and vintage inspired) MOTU product is cool when properly executed because it takes you back to a different time and place and really triggers that nostalgia.  Modern MOTU product (like Classics) is cool because it’s using all the best practices, sculpting, and articulation there’s ever been for MOTU.  This line seems like something that tries to borrow from both but accomplishes neither.  It’s going to fall short when it comes to all the nostalgia feels because instinctively it will feel familiar yet wrong (wrong due to the new/modern articulation, yet on the articulation and sculpt front it will fall short because... well....there’s been better stuff (Classics).  Thus this hybrid concept feels  like it would fall short on both fronts. It’s neither fish nor foul.  

Thats just my initial reaction and 2-cents to this concept becoming a full toyline.  That said I’ll definitely be picking this up at the convention.  I like the packaging and I think it’s cool as a one off.  As far as collecting a full line of all of these at retail go, it’s really going to depend upon what they do with it and what’s the price point.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Goldbug said:

At the height of MOTUC weren't retailers hoping to get them into their stores & Mattel rebuffed them? Maybe this line is their way of making amends?

LOL, that sounds like something Scott Neitlich would have told people. I can see it now at the Mattel Corporate meeting.

- Mattel Exec 1 - We've got Walmart and Target asking to carry these He-Man figures from an old 80's cartoon that have no current promotional TV or movie backing. We will make tons of money from the number of orders those larget retailers will place.

-Mattel Exec 2 - Hmmm....Noooo I think we will just keep these in house and sell them in small numbers to the hardcore collectors who are willing to go through the hassle of using the cheapest online selling service we can find.

-Mattel Exec 1 - Oh ok, shareholders will really dig that. I bet they will really love it when all those ungrateful hardcore collectors start bashing us daily online for the crappy service we give them.

- Mattel Exec 2 - Don't worry we will just stick that Scott guy out there to be the face of this with them, they'll love him.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, JayC said:

No they didn't sell it, they basically farmed it out till they needed it back again (or in other words until they could get the movie out).

So basically Mattel lets Super7 makes toys for a license Mattel owns because Mattel can't run a web-store correctly.  In doing so, Super7 makes a bunch of new figures and a HUGE playset which Mattel notices and now they want to be popular again...

• Haha 1

This new line intrigues me as I don't have any vintage figures since many of their legs have worn out and would require modifications to make them last. Details such as those has deterred me from collecting vintage toys, especially when most completed or like new MOTU vintage are now just as pricey as the classics line. This new Origins toy line seems like a good starting point for me & possibly other younger collectors. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, THEAnimeHERO said:

This new line intrigues me as I don't have any vintage figures since many of their legs have worn out and would require modifications to make them last. Details such as those has deterred me from collecting vintage toys, especially when most completed or like new MOTU vintage are now just as pricey as the classics line. This new Origins toy line seems like a good starting point for me & possibly other younger collectors. 

Actually there’s a fan created replacement connectors you can buy now to repair those vintage MOTU legs.  These are rubber pieces identical to the original and it allows you to repair those legs with out damaging or altering the figures. The fans who make them are down in Argentina and sell them through eBay. After watching some reviews for them online I bought a pack.  They work great although threading them through the crotch piece and getting them fully embedded into the second leg takes some effort (and Roboto was particularly tricky although I still got it to work).  

On 6/13/2019 at 4:30 PM, Outsiders said:

So basically Mattel lets Super7 makes toys for a license Mattel owns because Mattel can't run a web-store correctly.  In doing so, Super7 makes a bunch of new figures and a HUGE playset which Mattel notices and now they want to be popular again...

ha exactly!

22 hours ago, RoddyDrama said:

I hope these are 5.5inches so they go with all the Savage World/Primal Age figures I've been buying.

they are better because they have more articulation than those

Really do want the SDCC 2-pack, unfortunately I would have to attend the 'con if I pre-ordered today on their site. Hopefully Mettal knows of the demand and makes a little more available to the general public non attendees.

• Like 1

I just opened this set and man I Love them.. I bought them from a seller on ebay who had 5 in hand ready to ship. 159.00 dollars later and boom its in my hands. I got the last one he had I believe not sure if he has more have no idea how he got his hands on them either, must work for Mattel? But back to the figures, they are nice. very sturdy. You know the feeling when you open a figure and it makes you want to freak out like Beavis used to until Butthead would tell him to settle down, that was me. These are the He man figures I always dreamed of but never thought anyone would make.

The joints are smooth and decently tight. 

All of the articulation works great.

Most every piece is cast in the color of plastic it was intended. except eyes, teeth, wrist guards, furry tuff on hemans boot

The power sword is all one color of metallic plastic the axe and shield are molded in a darker grey.

I prefer the Alcala heads over the vintage heads for sure.

The knife in heman's boot is kinda weird but it actually goes down in the boot even if it warps the blade a  bit.

The power sword fits nicely in he-mans harness which is removable on the back with one little red square peg.

The detail on adams vest is nice makes me want more cloth goods on these figures.

The packaging is possible the best I have ever seen on any figure hands down. simply amazing.

If I had to complain about anything it might be the knee articulation, seems a little odd but it does work and the joints are decently tight so I'm ok with it.

The hands swap easily without fear of breaking the pegs.

If the other figures in this line are near as awesome as these two are this line is gonna be amazing.

I know what everyone will be thinking," is this guy bull sharting us."  I don't blame anyone for doubting my review,  but trust me I don't believe I got them either it still blowing my mind. Of course I paid a hefty price more than three times the con asking price for it. Would I advise anyone else to spend this kind of money on the set? Well if you could get them in the next week of so but if it would drag on till the middle of July then probably just wait on a 100 dollar set on Ebay to ship sometime in August. Heck I got another set on pre order myself that I purchased before I found this 159.00 dollar deal. No I have not tried to put him on the vintage battlecat or classics battlecat either but I know just by looking at his legs he could ride either.

I give this set 10 stars out of 10.

• Thanks 1

On 6/21/2019 at 12:11 PM, bgilmer76 said:

I just opened this set and man I Love them.. I bought them from a seller on ebay who had 5 in hand ready to ship. 159.00 dollars later and boom its in my hands. I got the last one he had I believe not sure if he has more have no idea how he got his hands on them either, must work for Mattel? But back to the figures, they are nice. very sturdy. You know the feeling when you open a figure and it makes you want to freak out like Beavis used to until Butthead would tell him to settle down, that was me. These are the He man figures I always dreamed of but never thought anyone would make.

The joints are smooth and decently tight. 

All of the articulation works great.

Most every piece is cast in the color of plastic it was intended. except eyes, teeth, wrist guards, furry tuff on hemans boot

The power sword is all one color of metallic plastic the axe and shield are molded in a darker grey.

I prefer the Alcala heads over the vintage heads for sure.

The knife in heman's boot is kinda weird but it actually goes down in the boot even if it warps the blade a  bit.

The power sword fits nicely in he-mans harness which is removable on the back with one little red square peg.

The detail on adams vest is nice makes me want more cloth goods on these figures.

The packaging is possible the best I have ever seen on any figure hands down. simply amazing.

If I had to complain about anything it might be the knee articulation, seems a little odd but it does work and the joints are decently tight so I'm ok with it.

The hands swap easily without fear of breaking the pegs.

If the other figures in this line are near as awesome as these two are this line is gonna be amazing.

I know what everyone will be thinking," is this guy bull sharting us."  I don't blame anyone for doubting my review,  but trust me I don't believe I got them either it still blowing my mind. Of course I paid a hefty price more than three times the con asking price for it. Would I advise anyone else to spend this kind of money on the set? Well if you could get them in the next week of so but if it would drag on till the middle of July then probably just wait on a 100 dollar set on Ebay to ship sometime in August. Heck I got another set on pre order myself that I purchased before I found this 159.00 dollar deal. No I have not tried to put him on the vintage battlecat or classics battlecat either but I know just by looking at his legs he could ride either.

I give this set 10 stars out of 10.

Thanks for the review. Great to hear about the joints overall on this figure, was a little concerned that they might be a little fragile.

The package does look awesome, hopefully I can get a good deal down the road on this set.