Mattel's 2019 SDCC Exclusive Masters Of The Universe Products Revealed

JayC

With a new movie tentatively slated to be in the works from Sony for 2021 it would seem Mattel is starting to ramp up their Masters of the Universe stuff again with two new San Diego Comic Con exclusives for this year. Shown below via Nerdist we have a look at the new He-Man & Prince Adam action figure 2-Pack. The set includes He-Man and Prince Adam, both styled to look like the vintage versions of the characters. Prince Adam wears a removable blue vest which is based on is appearances in the old mini-comics, while He-Man has a removable knife accessory tucked into his boot which is based on early concept art. He also comes with a axe, shield and of course his Power Sword.

The figures feature 16 points of modern hinge-and-ball joint articulation and both figures have three sets of interchangeable hands and interchangeable heads based on the sculpts of the original toys. Colors and decorations may vary. This set will cost $40.

The Mega Construx Masters of the Universe Battle Bones set which we showed you before will also be hitting SDCC and will cost $30. The set includes four buildable micro action figures, Man-At-Arms, Teela, Faker and a flocked Moss Man, a heroic 20 weapon accessories, and even a Moss Man pine-scented air freshener that smells just like the original action figure!

Both of these will have limited quantities made available on the Mattel website sometime after the convention.

MOTU-SDCC.jpg

SDCC19-Mattel-HEMan-Exclusive-00.jpg

SDCC19-Mattel-HEMan-Exclusive-01.jpg

SDCC19-Mattel-HEMan-Exclusive-02.jpg

SDCC19-Mattel-HEMan-Exclusive-03.jpg

SDCC19-Mattel-HEMan-Exclusive-04.jpg

SDCC19-Mattel-HEMan-Exclusive-05.jpg

SDCC19-Mattel-HEMan-Exclusive-06.jpg

SDCC19-Mattel-HEMan-Exclusive-07.jpg

SDCC19-Mattel-HEMan-Exclusive-08.jpg

SDCC19-Mattel-HEMan-Exclusive-09.jpg

SDCC19-Mattel-HEMan-Exclusive-10.jpg

SDCC19-Mattel-HEMan-Exclusive-11.jpg

• Like 1

The HeMan two pack looks very nice! But that loincloth looks scandalously small! haha! The knife in the boot is a really nice touch. 
Mattel seems eager to get back into the swing of things with MOTU, which is great! I hope they tweak their Filmation HeMan and give him a rerelease right off the bat because Super 7's most recent Filmation HeMan was a little disappointing. 

@red_bird08 No. Mattel is putting these out on their own. Universal/Creative Media/DreamWorks now owns the entertainment rights to MOTU. Mateel sold them back in the 90's when they thought the line was dead. They still own the rights to the name, but the entertainment license for making toys and such was sold off. It's confusing, I know. So, Super7 has "permission" from Universal to make toys, and so does Mattel. Both have entered into a licensing agreement with Universal to be able to do so. Long story short, these are solely through Mattel. Super7 has their own thing going.

4 hours ago, Welocme2deathlok said:

And here i half expected an exclusive with their 7'' inch MOTU line in any case these are pretty cool

There may still be a 7" exclusive. The 7" inch line is through Super7, not Mattel. I have not seen any information regarding the Super7 SDCC exclusive yet. I know for sure they are releasing Slamurai and two Snake Troopers for the Power Con Exclusive.

Super7 has not announced any MOTU exclusive yet but yes they might still do so. As I understand it though Mattel maintains full control of the MOTU and can put out what they want and when and can basically discontinue their deal with Super7 as well when they want.

At Toy Fair it was expected that Mattel was going to announce a new She-Ra and possibly He-Man line but for whatever reason pulled back on that leaving most of us to believe that announcement will come during SDCC.

My guess, and this is only a guess at this point, but as we get closer to 2021 which is when the new MOTU movie is supposed to come out Mattel in fact will take MOTU back in house and end their arrangement with Super7. Whether that happens at the end of this year or the end of 2020 IDK but I would be surprised once a movie is out there Mattel would continue to let another company make product for said movie. A movie will allow Mattel to be able to finally get MOTU back on retail shelves where the real money is made so I feel the writing is on the all there.

So far I’ll be picking up all the exclusives Mattel has revealed thus far.  I’m expecting them to continue to have a new reveal each day this week.

The vintage style set is a neat con exclusive so I’ll be keeping it as a boxed item but just the figures in themselves aren’t that necessary.  

I feel kind of bad for Super7.  While they aren’t technically creating anything new they are the ones who are coming up with the ideas to bring back all these defunct lines and aesthetics and styles (reaction, vintage MOTU, Keshi/MUSCLES, etc.) and then once they invest all the time and risk proving those types of lines can work and sell a much bigger company (Mattel, Funko, Hasbro) that wasn't thinking up those ideas and wasn’t willing to take that risk on their own comes back and starts making those products themselves and taking away from S7 market share.  

I guess on the plus side if Mattel is taking back the reigns of these MOTU lines then the products will at least be a little bit more affordable.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Neovorticism2 said:

Oh that supposed film, is that even a possible premiere date?. The last thing I read about it is that sony was looking for a new team of writers, it seems that every time that project advances a step forward something happens that makes it go back two steps back.

I don’t know all the specifics of where the contract stands today with Sony but as someone who has done a lot of work for Sony on licensed film projects and has had friends and colleagues attached to this MOTU project over the years I can tell you that unless they’ve paid for an extension Sony’s film rights should probably be approaching expiration relatively soon. Which typically means they are going to be forced to go into production (or loose the rights all together).  This is why I suspect you’re starting to see full steam momentum despite there still being some missing pieces.  It’s unfortunate but not that uncommon

I'd prefer these, if continuity to a line, to Super 7's vintage MOTU figures. A nice reimagining of the original figure with updated articulation. In hand, I would hope the quality is robust in contrast to posability.

• Like 1

A unique concept by bringing modern articulation to the vintage 5.5 inch figures. Like what I see albeit a little off the wall, will most likely get this. The thought of Mattel potentially back in the MOTU game now does make me think that Super7 and their involvement will be slowing down. So glad that they are bringing Snake Mountain to us while they could.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NickDoobs said:

But you have to pick it up at the convention, right?

Mattel is being confusing about it. Here is their official response about those not attending.

For now, this is exclusive to SDCC. If there is any leftover inventory after SDCC, we will announce it here on our social media pages where you can purchase it!

So I guess technically the pre-order in 6 days is for pick up at the con, but I would say there will likely also be an opportunity to get them afterwards at some point.

7 hours ago, JayC said:

Mattel is being confusing about it. Here is their official response about those not attending.

So I guess technically the pre-order in 6 days is for pick up at the con, but I would say there will likely also be an opportunity to get them afterwards at some point.

The preorder in 6 days is only for SDCC Attendees/Professions/Guests/etc who are going to the convention.  They did this exact same system last year (and have done a version of this presale for attendees every year since I believe around 2010 although they’ve changed the specifics of that system a few times over the years).  

Basically once you place that preorder you have to print it out and take it to the convention next month with your order confirmation, convention badge, and ID. Checking in triggers them to ship your order to you.  If you don’t check in at the convention then they cancel your order (and I think the cancelled stock might get sold at the Mattel booth on Sunday but I’m not 100% sure on that last point).  

As far as an after sale goes: Correct me if I’m wrong but as far as selling them online after the convention I’m not sure if Mattel does that any more (at least not all of them).  They used to do that through Mattycollector but I believe ever since Matty shut down instead of having an online sale to clear out any extra stock they’ve been skipping the after sale and instead taking those left overs to events like Power-Con or to their physical El Segundo store.  I believe that’s the case but could be mistaken since I always get to attend the convention and thus only pay limited attention to the after sales.  

6 hours ago, InspectorZartan said:

The preorder in 6 days is only for SDCC Attendees/Professions/Guests/etc who are going to the convention.  They did this exact same system last year (and have done a version of this presale for attendees every year since I believe around 2010 although they’ve changed the specifics of that system a few times over the years).  

Basically once you place that preorder you have to print it out and take it to the convention next month with your order confirmation, convention badge, and ID. Checking in triggers them to ship your order to you.  If you don’t check in at the convention then they cancel your order (and I think the cancelled stock might get sold at the Mattel booth on Sunday but I’m not 100% sure on that last point).  

As far as an after sale goes: Correct me if I’m wrong but as far as selling them online after the convention I’m not sure if Mattel does that any more (at least not all of them).  They used to do that through Mattycollector but I believe ever since Matty shut down instead of having an online sale to clear out any extra stock they’ve been skipping the after sale and instead taking those left overs to events like Power-Con or to their physical El Segundo store.  I believe that’s the case but could be mistaken since I always get to attend the convention and thus only pay limited attention to the after sales.  

Your right they did do it last year and it caused lots of confusion then as well because when they release info on these things they just say they will be available for pre-order, they don't specifically say pre-order for con pick up only. And since most companies when they sell online they sell it for those not attending. And trying to get clarification on things from Mattel is often like trying to pull nails out of a board with your teeth. Then they say things like the above quote leaving one to think they will be made available. Mattel still has a website where they sell stuff so IDK if they will go that route or offer it through an etailer like EE. As for Powercon that really isn't a solution for helping people not attending a convention getting these.

After yesterday's SDCC exclusive Masters of the Universe reveal was made by Mattel, we were left with a lot of questions. Most have noted how the He-Man and Prince Adam figures featured in the Con set are completely redesigned sculpted figures, different from their older original molds or the newer Masters of the Universe Classic line. So that has left many wondering if these con exclusives are only the beginning, and it would seem the answer is yes.

Our friend and He-Man aficionado Pixel-Dan talked with the Four Horsemen who have worked on Masters for both Mattel and Super 7. They confirmed for him that a new toyline is in the works from Mattel that will be called "Masters of the Universe Origins". The Horsemen did not work on the He-Man or Prince Adam figures in the con set but they will be working on the new figures going forward. Dan goes on to say that the Horsemen have reworked the articulation for the elbows and hips for the future releases - with hopes that Mattel will implement it and not continue using the odd-looking joints on the He-Man/Adam.

No word yet what exactly that means for Super 7 and if they will continue doing any Masters stuff once Mattel officially launches this new line. With a new live-action Masters of the Universe seeming more and more likely for 2021 and the recent loss of the DC Comics license, its a pretty good bet Mattel will be putting much more effort into their once leading boys toy brand. More details are expected to come next month at Comic-Con.

• Like 1

I thought Mattel sold the MOTU license to Super7 and do we really need the same figures coming out again just redone?  How many times is a new He-Man going to come out just because some new elbow joint gets added?

17 minutes ago, Outsiders said:

I thought Mattel sold the MOTU license to Super7 and do we really need the same figures coming out again just redone?  How many times is a new He-Man going to come out just because some new elbow joint gets added?

No they didn't sell it, they basically farmed it out till they needed it back again (or in other words until they could get the movie out). As for the second part of that question, you could literately ask that about any toyline out on the market today.

4 hours ago, MadMav said:

Wonder what size these will be? Itd be cool if could get super articulated 200x versions in scale to each other

Well, the exclusive set is in the 5.5 scale, similar to the OG figures, I assume the full line will be in the same scale.

Look, I love Mattel for the work they have done over the years and for the unforgettable childhood memories they have provided, but this relaunch smacks of desperation. It feels like they have stopped and started the line several times over the last few years with no particular direction in sight. Just make MOTU figures and hope fully people will buy them. And if the first attempt fails, just try it again with a slightly different head sculpt. 

Mattel's MOTU relaunches is the DC movie universe of toys. 

So perhaps Super7 retains a license to make 6-7 inch figures?

I have no interest in Super7's vintage cartoon versions.

I have no interest in these new ones. Which would seem to directly compete with the above. That waist area looks very very strange.

What they should have done was make 4 inch or 1/18th scale versions. Those would make vehicles & play sets more do-able or more inexpensive. 

At the height of MOTUC weren't retailers hoping to get them into their stores & Mattel rebuffed them? Maybe this line is their way of making amends?

39 minutes ago, Goldbug said:

At the height of MOTUC weren't retailers hoping to get them into their stores & Mattel rebuffed them? Maybe this line is their way of making amends?

More likely this is Mattel's attempt to "prime the pumps" as it were. If this movie does become a thing, MOTU is gonna be a viable retail property again. Mattel just has to get the public ready for it. Start this new line now, and get people hungry for He-Man. Then when the movie hits, slide the new figures into your ready made retail framework.

• Like 1