'Swamp Thing' Canceled By DC Universe After 1 Season

Outsiders

UPDATE: TVLine is reporting that an accounting error regarding the series’ North Carolina tax rebate may have led to the series’ cancellation.

No official reason has been given but the new series Swamp Thing has not be picked up for a second season.  The drama series was based on the DC characters created by Len Wein and Bernie Wrightson and premiered on May 31st on the DC digital service, DC Universe.

Sources are claiming that the new leadership of WarnerMedia was not particularly high on Swamp Thing whose order was reduced from 13 to 10 episodes in April. The cancellation comes just one episode into the show’s run.

The series was written by Mark Verheiden and It co-writer Gary Dauberman, Swamp Thing centers on CDC researcher Abby Arcane (Crystal Reed). When she returns to her childhood home of Houma, Louisiana, in order to investigate a deadly swamp-borne virus, she develops a surprising bond with scientist Alec Holland (Andy Bean) — only to have him tragically taken from her. But as powerful forces descend on Houma, intent on exploiting the swamp’s mysterious properties for their own purposes, Abby will discover that the swamp holds mystical secrets, both horrifying and wondrous — and the potential love of her life may not be dead after all.

Virginia Madsen, Henderson Wade, Maria Sten, Jeryl Prescott and Will Patton co-starred.

Source: Deadline

3 hours ago, mako said:

No Kari Wuhrer, no Dick Durrock, how could it last?

Seriously though, I guarantee we're gonna see a lot more of these streaming shows fall.

And streaming services, too.  Very soon.

2 minutes ago, RoddyDrama said:

Too many streaming services out there. DC is too specific and when fans already own most of what you offer (I know I do) it's a hard sell. If it was a Warner Bro service it would have more depth and selection at least.

There's rumblings that DC Universe is going to be folded into the upcoming WB streaming service. 

2 hours ago, RoddyDrama said:

Too many streaming services out there. DC is too specific and when fans already own most of what you offer (I know I do) it's a hard sell. If it was a Warner Bro service it would have more depth and selection at least.

I agree, the DC streaming service is too specific with its content so I don't think that the casual fan would go for it and the more "hardcore" fans already own most of the movies, comics, shows, etc. The selling point here are the series but nowadays you have to take into account pirate websites that put the series for people to see without paying, it's illegal of course but that doesn't necessarily stop people from doing it.   

2 hours ago, Satam said:

There's rumblings that DC Universe is going to be folded into the upcoming WB streaming service. 

I could see that happening and it would probably be for the best in the long run.

That sucks, I enjoyed the first episode, I dont have DC's Streaming service since its only available in the US, and I cant get it in my country, then again Im not sure Id get it even if it was, I dont believe there is enough content to warrant a subscription, as many has pointed out if it was a wb streaming service then It'd be a whole different thing but being just dc, there is just so much you can use it for and with having so many streaming services now a days you have to have something that makes your streaming service more intresting than the others and as far as I know this one doesnt have that so I thinks thats the main issue.

On 6/7/2019 at 9:46 AM, Satam said:

And streaming services, too.  Very soon.

Been saying that for a while now. It's the 90's comic industry and syndicated "TV Network" booms all over again. Took comics years to recover from the implosion, and the first-run syndication market is STILL a wasteland.